October 20, 2014 | 2061 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup with SoftFlex SPF 6 for Combination/Oily Skin ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Justagirl78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this last month after reading the reviews on here. I've been looking for a new foundation that will help to control my oily skin and have tried various drug store brands prior to trying this.

The first time I bought it, I wasn't impressed at all. I found it looked streaky and didn't blend very well and my oil was also shining through within 2 hours.

I left it in my make up drawer for a while and went back to a Maybelline foundation.

The other night, I was reading a beauty book by Rae Morris who advises that if you have oily skin, not to moisturise before applying foundation because it will just encourage the oil to come through. However, she does recommend priming the skin first.

Having had another read of the reviews on here, I saw a helpful review that said to apply the foundation in stages on your face, rather than dotting it all over and then trying to blend. I'm certain that is where I went wrong the first time and have since done my face in 4 parts, starting with the left lower half, moving onto the right, and then doing the same for the upper.

The result is flawless, beautiful skin that lasts. I apply my make up at 7am and by 1pm, I do have to blot but this is such an improvement on only lasting an hour or two at the most. I've been complimented regularly about my skin/make up since using it this way so I'm sure it's not just me that has noticed the difference.

At only £12.99 here in the UK, I'm glad I didn't re-purchase Estee Lauder Doublewear as this is much better value and works better, IMO.

I know a lot of people don't like the glass bottle with no pump but I actually prefer it like this. I put my finger over the top of the bottle, tip upside down and then add the product to my skin. I can't count how many times I have pumped out too much foundation in the past and had to waste it. At least with this bottle, should that happen, I can just scoop it back in :)

For those that complain about it breaking them out, I'd venture a guess that it isn't being removed properly. It's pretty hardcore stuff and I find I can only remove it completely when I cleanse with coconut oil. Massage the oil into the skin for a minute, then soak a face cloth in hot water and gently wipe away the oil. It should all come off without the need to repeat.

I'll definitely be re-purchasing this once I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Claire1747

First, let me say that I almost never buy the same product twice. I always feel like there is something else out there that must be better. So the fact that I have repurchased this foundation upwards of 6 times is saying something. My skin is combination (I use the version for combination/oily skin) and it keeps a matte finish literally all day. Most foundations (basically every high end brand sold at sephora) just sit on my face and smear around when I try to add more. This foundation feels like it bonds with my skin - it doesn't feel heavy and it has fairly medium to full coverage depending how much you put on (super easy to layer). I use this and then a dusting of the matching shine control powder and I'm good to go for the day! I would highly recommend trying this out! NOTE: it tends to turn out a shade darker than you might expect based on the color it appears in the bottle so I would get a touch lighter than you think :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by cdizzle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this product, and I thought I did too. Ugh let me start from the beginning of my Revlon colorstay journey. I started using this in September. I didn't want the heavy coverage of a foundation, and it was a bit too dark for me, so I always mixed it wth bb cream. Mid September, I started breaking out really badly. I've always suffered from moderate acne so I just blamed it on stress and hormones. This persistent acne continued and worsened, but again I blamed it on increased stressed. Anyway, it's December now and I've finally run out of this foundation. I've noticed my skin has improved significantly since I've stopped using this foundation, and finally realized that this was what was breaking me out (I know it's not the bb cream because I've used that for years). Anyway, I'm sure this is a lovely foundation for those who don't have sensitive, acne prone skin, but it just wasn't right for me. Still gave it two lippies for feeling great on the skin and excellent staying power though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Rednails0007

I've been wearing this for over 2 years now, so I think it's legitimate to write a little review here for my OG foundation. :)
    I hope that those pros/cons and tricks will be helpfull for some of you.

MY SKIN:
    29 years old, so fine lines are starting. :(
    Acne prone/cystic acne being treated with benzoyle peroxide every day.
    Medium olive tone/NC 25ish. (not a Mac pro speaking here...)

PROS:
    Medium to full COVERAGE (can hide blemishes)
    200 NUDE fits me well most of the year, except when I'm really taned, then I go a shade or 2 higher.
    Beige colors are great for medium/olive tone skins like mine.
    Doesn't break me out (outer foundation can make me react in just a few hours)
    COVERS ACNE scars quite well (a lot better than the NORMAL FORMULA), to the point that I don't even fell like I need to use concealer.
    Doesn't set into my FINE LINES at all!
    PACKAGING (yes!): It's a sturdy bottle that I'm not affraid to travel with (leaking/beaking). To get the right amount of product, I just put a finger on the opening and turn the container upside down and then apply on one zone at a time, blending with a flat top brush to avoid stikes. Almost better than using a pump!
    PHOTOS: used it on my wedding day at the result was flawless! No flashback and airbrushed look.
    COMFORTABLE on the skin troughout the day, not too oily/too dry.
    TRANSFER resistant.
    Doesn't really OXIDIZE on me: even if the shade is sometime not a 100% match, it is easy to fix blending a little bit down the neck and contouring a little.

CONS:
    "Can" be hard to APPLY to makeup newbies (can be striky, dries kind of fast, cakey if too much is applied). TRICK: always moisturize first and blend well, small section at a time.
    "Can" be hard to REMOVE. My trick, use coconut oil and massage it all over your face (yes, even the eyes!) for a few seconds. When you feel that all your makeup is melted (even mascara), remove the excess with a towelette or tissues. Only then, you can wash your face normaly, treat and moisturize. It works like a sharm to me! :)
    PRICE: a little pricy for a drugstore foundation here in Canada, but well worth the inverstment on my opinion. Trick: I know I will always by again, so I keep an eye on specials when I glance at the makeup aisles.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 7:11:00 AM More reviews by pickles945

This foundation provides good coverage for my oily skin. I apply it with a Real Techniques Stippling or Face Brush (depending on what's clean!), and one pump will cover my entire face. Work quickly, this foundation settles.

In terms of how this fares? It evens out my skin tone, taking out the red on around my nose and my lips, but does absolutely nothing for my undereye area, moles, or the occasional break out! However, I don't hold it against this foundation because of the following:
    1. It does not transfer even in the high humidity / arctic air-conditioning of Hong Kong
    2. It keeps the oil at bay (though I still need to breakout the wipes at lunch time, and then regular intervals in the afternoon - what can I say? No foundation is going to keep nature at bay)
    3. It looks fantastic in pictures

Removal - I used several cotton pads soaked in Bioderma Sebium H20 solution and repeatedly go over my face until there is no more color on the pad. Been no side effects from this, nor have I had any breakouts.

The packaging is great - love a glass bottle that lets me see how much product is left over. I'm glad I bought this foundation to try out - it will definately always hold a place in my make-up kit!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 4:47:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU'VE BEEN EXPERIENCING BREAKOUTS FROM THIS OR ARE AVOIDING USING THIS BECAUSE POSSIBILITIES OF BREAKOUTS

FOUNDATIONS DO NOT HAVE THE TENDENCY TO BREAK YOU OUT UNLESS YOU DON'T TAKE THEM OFF PROPERLY.

This foundation is HARDCORE and you're going to need to break out your makeup removal arsenal and use the power of the force to take this off!! GO BIG OR GO HOME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I have used this for a few years and in the beginning it broke me out horribly BECAUSE I WASN'T TAKING IT OFF ALL THE WAY. This is an extreme coverage foundation, so it takes extra effort to take off. As soon as I started taking it all off, the breakouts stopped.

ANY FOUNDATION WILL BREAK YOU OUT IF YOU DON'T TAKE IT ALL OFF.

I use a couple layers of this when I am going out (for acne coverage and redness problems) so it does take me a little longer to take this off. These are the steps I take:

1, Use a makeup remover wipe. Or two. You will see lots of makeup on the wipe after you've finished, but don't be fooled, it's not gone.

2. Take a clean washcloth and your favorite facial cleanser and cleanse your face. I always have makeup on the washcloth when I'm finished, because the makeup remover wipes will not completely take off this foundation. Don't skip the washcloth. Not only is this good for daily exfoliation, it is much more efficient at taking off makeup than your hands are.

3. Finally tone your face and moisturize. Sometimes all the foundation will be off my face before I use a toner, and sometimes I will get the very last bit off with the toner, either way I feel like this step is important just to ensure it's all off.

Please don't rely on makeup removers to take off a heavy coverage foundation or concealer, you will need to take extra measures to make sure to get it off your face, otherwise you will breakout. Just for the record you are more likely to breakout from your moisturizer because it is actually going into the skin rather than sitting on it.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Loved10

So far this has to be my favorite drugstore foundation. It is on the thick side and I would say it is buildable medium coverage. Straight up this is the only makeup I have found so far that stays on for a 12 hour shift in the hospital as I am a RN. If I itch or blow my nose it doesn't come off. I am impressed. It is a little pricey, but I found it on sale. Color fits me to a T. It provides very nice and smooth coverage. I almost don't need a concealer with it for my under eye circles.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2013 3:38:00 AM More reviews by mkrhodes42

My favvvvvorite foundation! Stays on forever, but in my experience, if you don't moisturizer first and use the right primer it may cake a little. The fullest coverage liquid foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Pardonthesparkles

This makeup looked so beautiful! It kept me matte for most of the day. Unfortunately, it broke me out terribly. After it cleared up, I was an idiot and tried it again. Sure enough it broke me out and I'm still trying to clear it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Molly6

This foundation has good coverage, looks pretty natural, is a good price, and lasts all day. It doesn't bother my sensitive skin, and it's not too heavy.