July 22, 2014 | 1947 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by clandestineyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am so dissapointed since this was so expensive. I am an aesthetician, so I'm not new to doing nails.. But I've used this twice, and each time my nails never dry, even after hours and hours of waiting.. My color stays gummy. It feels dry to the touch, but after doing something (even the next day) it will just roll off the nail like its rubber. Awful stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by candied

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This base coat is HG for me, a total game changer. I apply it in this manner: 1 coat of bonder, 1 coat of color, 1 coat of bonder, 1 coat of color, and then a quick dry top coat (these days it's Sally Hansen Hard As Nails). I guess you could call this the bonder variation of the sticky sandwich. With this combination, my nail polish lasts a FULL seven days, with tip wear showing around the 4th or 5th day. My nail polish generally lasted only 3-4 days before, with significant chipping on day 5. Love this stuff!

Aside from the awesome formula, I love Orly packaging - the rubberized grip on the handle makes it easy to work with and the brush is the right size and flexibility to make it easy to apply and maneuver with precision. Will repurchase again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Jess1189

This BC is pretty cool. I like the rubberized finish--I find that the polish adheres more easily to the nail. And of course, like with all Orly's, I absolutely LOVE the gripper cap. However, some of my polishes don't play well with Bonder--some colors get shrinkage or tipwear pretty easily.

Take my review with a grain of salt because I've only used one other polish as a BC....that was Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Invisible (clear polish). Annnd it didn't do very well. So I have many more to try!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by eelsnyam

LIFE CHANGING. Before I started using this basecoat, my nail polish would chip in a matter of days. Now, after using Orly+2 coats of nail polish+top coat, my manicure lasts over a week with basically NO chipping. And it looks awesome! (a friend even thought I had gotten gel nails) Highly recommended if your nail polish addiction is as serious as mine...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by cammbo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I found bonder to be very effective, especially when using the sandwich method. I've been able to wear polish for 6 days chip free, an absolute miracle for me!! But, it stains my nails quite badly... even when applied over another basecoat. I much prefer the china glaze strong adhesion, no staining and almost as good wear!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by iluvmac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this rubberized base coat more than any base coat. I was not impressed by OPI, Piggy Polish, Essie BASECOATS etc. As other reviers have noted, u need to leave a little dry time between layers. I read about the Bonder sandwich on line. If ur nails r weak, I would recommend Orly Nailtrition somewhere in the mix. I used 2 layers of Bonder, 2 layers of Essie polish, a layer of Bonder & then two layers of Out the Door topcoat.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by KeepFlyyingGirlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is likely the best base coat that I've used with regards to lengthening my manicure's wear time. I find that when I use a base coat that has an extremely smooth finish, it just won't hold my polishes at all. So, with the rubber, almost sticky, feel to this, it makes sense to me that it would hold the polish better. I normally get at least four to five days of perfect polish when I use this. That is pretty good in my book since I'm currently in gym class this semester at school, and everyone knows that gym class is a serious killer on a good manicure. I purchased the slimmer bottle, and I still haven't run out even with regular polish changing for about 6 months. Also, it is very easy to access this product should I run out in the future. I would gladly repurchase this basecoat.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I respectfully disagree - and base coat is such a personal thing, but I get much better results from CND stickey - provided that adequate drying agents are used prior to application.

Orly bonder has a thick "rubbery" feel that I did not enjoy applying - but I can see how someone with thin or peelies could like this.

Meanwhile, It's worth a one-time shot to see how you like it - but I am sticking to CND stickey or Amera Hydrating Base Coat (when I can find it).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by okienat33

I didn't like the "rubberized" feel of this product & for the $$ I've found much better

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by thistlegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I remember using Bonder several years ago, knew I wasn't a fan but couldn't remember why- and since my girlfriends and family RAVE about the stuff, I figured I give it another try.
I still don't like it.
I have shrinkage almost immediately and serious tip wear in less than 24 hours. I wrap my tips and STILL have shrinkage and tip wear incongruent with a manicure that's less than a day old. I've had more success with just good ol' Sally Hansen and a bottle of el cheapo nail polish than I've had with Bonder under anything.
Maybe it something in my body chemistry that doesn't like it, I don't know. t's a shame, I've got a full bottle just sitting here waiting to be used. But it won't be used by me.