December 22, 2014 | 1719 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sandsvespa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wonderful product! Manicure lasts up to 10 days no chip! I use 1 coat Orly, 2 coats polish, 1 coat Revlon Extra-Life No Chip Top Coat.. Amazing product- well worth the money and it gives you a smooth gel-like nail base to apply nail polish too its great!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Courtneybrynn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this base coat! I have tired quite a few and this is the best one of them all. It really helps the polish last longer without chipping.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with it, it makes my nails weak. I have never had any problem with weak, peeling, splitting nails before, and this base coat is the culprit. I love this product so much that I still use it, just not very often and make sure to rotate it out with other (less effective) base coats.

Overall, I recommend you try it, it is just that good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by tgawron2233

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the best bonder. I Use 1 coat bonder 2 polish and out the door top coat. I get 10 days to two weeks out of my manicures!! cant complain !

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by queeniekasey

This stuff makes my nail polish last a good 5-6 days instead of 2! Unless I'm washing my hands a lot at work... then I'll still get about 2-3 days out of my nail polish. But when I'm not using harsh soaps everyday this stuff definitely helps the color last longer!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by hmsw4rtz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've tried a lot of base coats and WOW this stuff is good. With my old base my manicure will chip after a couple of days because I spend all day typing on a computer, I also had some shrinkage (seche vite). With this base coat my polish stays perfect for at least two weeks and no shrinkage! HG for sure :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2013 6:57:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am feeling very underwhelmed by this product. It applies very nicely, dries quickly and my polishes go on nice and smooth on top but not only does it not seem to extend the wear of my manicure, it actually seems to shorten it. I only used this for 1 mani/pedi for which I used two polishes I have used before with other basecoats. Previously, my mani lasted about 5 days and my pedi around 10 without noticeable chipping/tip wear. With Orly's Bonder, I noticed minimal tipwear on both hands and feet after 1 day, a few small chips on day two, and now it's day 3 and I feel like I REALLY should have removed this polish before leaving my house today - it seriously looks like my mani/pedi are two weeks old :( It may work well with other brands of polish, but one of the ones I'm wearing is a Zoya, which MOST of my stash is, and I'd rather have a basecoat that works with the polishes I have and love already. (FWIW, the other polish I am wearing is by Picture Polish and I didn't have this problem with it over Zoya or SpaRitual basecoats).

Overall: Wouldn't rec, and won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/16/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by GlamourMom3

This did not help my nail polish last at all. In fact it seemed to make it chip more easily. I had significant chipping after only five hours of wear. I tried it with different brands of polish, with different top coats etc but they chipped badly within a day every time. I have dry brittle nails. For my nail type this was a total flop.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by phillygeekgirl

OK, this stuff is amazing. Normally I can chip up a pedicure inside 8 hours. I used the Orly Bonder on Thursday, and right now it's Monday afternoon and my pedicure is still perfect. 4 days might not seem fantastic to everyone, but trust me when I say this is a first for me.

Note: I used 1 coat of Orly Bonder, 1 coat of Revlon nail polish, 1 coat of Seche VIte Fast Dry top coat.

Edited note:
I had the pedicure on for 9 days. The first 7 days it remained perfect, and then I was doing some housepainting (barefoot) and took the pedicure off because I was paint splattered. There was a tiny bit of chipping at the end, but I was crawling along baseboards sanding and painting so I am not going to fault the product for that. I still say it's amazing and I have never had a pedicure look that good for anywhere close to that long. Totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Knitknitfrog

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, so I read online that people can get a week of a diy mannicure with no chips and only a little tip wear. In my case can chip my polish on day three, even when wearing Dish wash gloves and being super careful. So I searched online and read all i could about making a diy manicure last longer, I tried lots of things, non-quick dry top coats, non- quick dry base coats, ridge fillers, I tried SH Instadri, and buying top shelf polishs. I tried the loodie loodie loodie seven day manicure, I tried waiting a few minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour and even a day between coats of polish, I prepped my nails using all the tips i read, I used nail polish remover, and then a good soap and water scrub, and then isopropal alcohol to prep my nails and remove any trace of oil or moisturizer. I wrapped my tips with polish, with base coat, with every layer, with the top layer, i tried all sorts of combinations, Nothing really gave me a seven day manicure, with no chips. Best i could do was three or four days always with some tip wear. I resigned myself to changing polish sundays and wednesdays, and to change polish even more often if i was using a dramatic colour - chips and edge wear show less in nude colours.

Until I spotted orly bonder on a dept store shelf and decided to give it a go, well I worked the bonder sandwich, full clean prep, a layer of bonder,a layer of polish (essie master plan) a layer of bonder and a layer of polish, the next day I added one layer of polish and a regular high shine top coat ...

It's seven days later, I've got regrowth between the polish and my cuticle, and no chips.
I am amazed, I've read that some users say orly bonder left stains ... And I've not worn it long or often enough to find out - but for now I'm super amazed, and kinda bored with the same colour for seven full days but feeling guilty about removing polish that still looks perfect.

edited to say i've removed the polish - day eight, mostly due to regrowth and a teeny tiny bit of chip wear on my right/dominant hand, and there is no staining. I'm now off to try a darker polish and see how it wears.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by balletballoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of the few products about which I actually evangelize. I had given up on wearing nail polish because for some reason mine always chipped so, so quickly, wouldn't go on smoothly, etc., plus I would always get frustrated at the first sign of chipping and just take it all off.

This has changed everything! I use it as a base coat and then wait at least 3 min for it to get mostly dry. The color on top of it goes on more smoothly and doesn't run or pool. I finish with another coat of the bonder on top of the color, followed by the ORLY Sec 'n Dry top coat and the Flash Dry drops. It works great; it's innovative, unique, and well-designed (the rubberized grip on the brush may not seem that important, but I love it). It's lasting forever, too -- I bought my current/first bottle in early spring and use it for mani/pedis at least once a week, and it's still 3/4 full. I even use it for the rare pedicure on my horrendous toenails, and the polish makes it through rehearsals in unpadded pointe shoes just fine.

PROS:
- unique (seriously, no other drugstore product like it)
- easy to use
- prevents chipping
- makes polish go on more smoothly
- lasts a long time

CONS:
- expensive compared to other base coats, but lasts longer and does a better job
- smells kind of funky to some

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No