Remington Wet 2 Straight

3.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Visiting my aunt for Christmas, I found a straightener in a mauled plastic package laying on her dashboard. I asked her what it was doing there, and she said that she got it for Christmas from her mom and was returning it. I asked her if it didn't work well, and she said that it worked wonderfully, but the only thing was she wants a new curler instead. That straightener was the Remington Wet 2 Straight. I did some Makeup Alley research, and discovered that this wasn't a bad straightener out there. I then texted her two days later and asked her if she had returned it yet, because I would like to buy it off of her. Good thing she had been busy. I gave her $20 for it, but I believe it retails for about $25. And that is how I ended up with it. Mine is purple, and is 2" which is great for my long hair, especially since I usually use a 1" straightener. The straightener has different levels of heat, ranging from 1 to 30, 1 being lowest and 30 being highest. Yes, the buttons are hard to push and you have to jam your fingers in there...hard. Something I dislike is that it always starts at 15, and I have to sit there each day and jam my finger into the hard, little button 15 more times. It gets extremely hot and steamy. It is designed so you can choose to straighten your hair while you dry it if you have wet hair. What a great invention, because I always shower in the morning and my long hair takes a while to dry. What I end up doing every day is showering, towel drying or wringing my hair, applying makeup (gives it more time to dry), applying heat protection spray, blow drying for about 15 seconds to get excess water off, and then straightening, my hair still very sopping wet. When I run it through my hair, hot steam comes out of the main side into my face, and my hair is visibly a little bit dryer but still hot and wet, and it is a bit curly at the ends so I have to go over it a few more times for it to be good. If I straighten it and brush the strand with my fingers my fingers end up burning, and when I have to get close to my face with it it can make my face heat up and get all steamed and warm. I have only straightened it once when my hair was actually dry, and that was the day I got it to test it out, and I had it on 28 with my hair dry and it straightened it so amazing. Let me explain about my past history. My first straightener before this was the Conair Infiniti styler, which can curl and straighten. It was designed like a reular 1" flat iron, but had 2 metal curves on one side of the blade so if you needed to curl too, you could wrap it around your hair once and pull down to make a curl (regular flat irons can do it too, but this one could do it better, but this made it heat up on the outside where the open curves were making me burn myself a lot, and I never ever made a curl and I watched so many videos on how to use it). I used it all the time, sometimes even doing it when my hair was still a little damp and damaging both my hair and straightener. I had gotten it for $40 believing that you got what you paid for. It never straightened my hair, point is. I tried everything. Highest setting, hair spray, no hair spray (water in it can make it curl, I've heard), straightening shampoo, etc. But literally, I kid you not, after less than 5 minutes of straightening my hair my hair would curl up so much at the ends, my whole head of hair would be tilted in dramatically. I then believed that my head full of blonde ringlets could never ever be straightened if this quality one would not do it after trying for years. I took a break from straightening and learned to appriciate and enhance my curls. But lets face it, styles get old and curls can't be brushed, curls cannot look shiny, curls can be messed up easily, curls can lack oomph, curls can fall flat and ugly, curls can get frizzy. So much can be annoying. Then I found this. Does it work? Yeah. My hair right now feels baby soft like nothing before. It is also straight as a pin after hours of activity. I love running my fingers through my hair now, once I wore it to a concert naturally curly and I made a habit of running my fingers through my hair...and forgot I had my curls in. I'm surprised at the quality. In the morning my hair doesn't dry in weird hay strands, it is now straight and dry in less than 15 minutes. I have only had it barely curl at the ends maybe once or twice before, and it definately is to be expected when I have my hair in a messy bun or ponytail for the night, but so far it has been straight, something I had given up on. It makes me smile looking back on the first day I used this waiting for my hair to curl up very much. I have recieved so many compliments and people have already been asking what straightener I use, because my hair used to never straighten and now it is so straight! I have had one person go out and buy one because they were so impressed. I love it, and to think I never knew that this kind of product existed! I love that it is so cheap and easy to find and I cart it everywhere with me. My friend recently got a Conair straigher/curler (a newer version than the one I had) and so far she isn't impressed with Conair. Me either. Doesn't work and wouldn't buy it for a penny. I gave mine to my mother who loved borrowing my Conair for occations or when she was bored and uses it to fix certain parts of her hair or straighten the top layer of it, or even just experiment. One thing though, the water must make the flat iron blades rust a bit, the edges of mine are a little brown. Not much though, and it is extremely cheap and effective and easy to use, cheap enough where I could pick a new one up each year if it bothered me enough. Definately a product that is genius and useful for my lifestyle and actually works, which is what I am asking for for a straightener or flat iron. Bravo. Well done. Will repurchase a million times over and over. I definately reccomend and am absolutely stunned with the results.

on 7/3/2011 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For the price, this is an awesome flat iron. I have the newer 2" wide plate version, cost around $25 at target. I have been using flat irons for a long time, have a 1" turbo CHI which I have had for almost 10 years and also a 1/2" HAI twig which I use for doing flips, loose curls or other effects. This iron works great on wet, damp or dry hair; just make sure you use the right heat setting for your hair and current moisture level. I recommend using a heat protectant regardless of whether you are ironing wet or dry, I use CHI silk infusion followed by Beyond the Zone's 'turn up the heat'.

The key to getting good results with any flat iron is to section off the hair properly into small sections so you can fully flatten that section of hair into the iron. That is especially important with this iron if you are going to use it wet or damp. Using it wet will not damage your hair if you use it properly (it sounds like the hair is frying but that is really just the water vaporizing into steam). However if you try to flatiron a chunk of hair which is too thick then you can damage your hair. When used correctly the hair should fully flatten into a thin sheet and all water should be removed in one to two passes. If you do it on a thick chunk of hair, it will not fully flatten and the outer layers of hair will get dried while the inner hairs will stay damp, so you will have to make more passes and you risk overheating the outer layer of hair which is already dry.

If your hairs are getting stuck on the sides of the iron, that is a good indicator that you are using it incorrectly, you need to use smaller sections!

My only qualms with this iron are the buttons which are awkwardly shaped and difficult to press with long fingernails, so it is hard to adjust the temperature quickly. Also the insulation on the housing could be improved, if used on the highest heat settings the grip part of the iron with the finger rests can get rather hot (not hot enough to burn but hot enough that its annoying).

I do like the auto-off feature, there have been several times when I have come home at the end of the day to find my CHI iron has been turned on all day, oops =)

on 6/30/2011 3:54:00 PM

I have very thick, very long, coarse, wavy to curly hair. This straightened my hair completely with minimal fuss. The secret, for me, is to let my hair air dry for a bit and then to straighten the hair in small sections while using the 'steam' setting. It worked quickly and did the job. I have not had any problems with breakage or damage - and I have to use it on the highest setting for it to straighten my hair. I use a smoothing and protectant lotion on my hair EVERY time I dry it. (One word of caution...Be careful of the hot steam as this product does get extremely hot!) I have owned two other brands of straighteners in the same price range. This one got my hair the straightest and in the shortest amount of time.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My review is for the 1" wet to straight that I purchased 5 years ago, that looks like the one in the first picture.

I haven't owned a lot of flat irons, and honestly, I never felt that I needed to try others after using this for so long. I bought this one in highschool and it worked great. A friend talked me into buying a gold plated hot tools a few years ago, and I thought that this was a million times better.

I have naturally curly hair (fine but a lot of it) and I've tried other cheap drugstore irons that just wouldnt get my hair straight at all. This was the only one I kept because it was the only one that I could get poker-straight hair for up to 3 days with only a little but of touching up in the morning. Although I go in phases of being curly and flat ironing a lot, I used this almost daily for several years for straightening my bangs. It is small enough that I could get it close enough to my roots without kinks (couldn't say that about the hot tools....) Years later, I have finally worn away the ceramic coating, and went to buy a new one, only to see the "revamped" it. I am not sure if it is a good, but I am holding out got the Remington Pearl Sleek & Curl instead because I ADORE the Pearl Curling Wand.

A few things I want to say about this iron: I used hear protectent on my hair, and used it everyday and I did not get excessive damage. I always used it on a lower setting and only used high heat on spots that were very frizzy and needed it. While I have used it on damp hair, I would NEVER use it on soaking wet hair. & I would only use on damp hair if I really didn't have the time because, yes, I think it would fry your hair. I did need the high heat setting sometimes, though, because my hair is curly and it can be hard to straighten without high heat in some sections.

Also, the auto-shutoff is a must for me, because, yes, I am absentminded enough to have found that it was left on or plugged in and I've been so happy that is beeps and shuts off to tell you that you've forgotten it. This iron has a lot of feature for something so cheap.

One problem, other then the coating wearing off, was that the grooves that are for the vents for the steam get a lot of product built up in them over time, and it is not easy to clean. But that's pretty minor. And considering that I used it until the coating was gone, and everything else survived all my abuse, traveling, dropping, leaving it on for hours and hours... I have to say I am impressed with the quality and durability -- It is not what I would have expected from $20 flat iron.

I am ready to move on to more high end irons at this point in my life, but I could see myself repurchasing this if I needed a cheap iron that I could rely on.

on 6/9/2011 11:03:00 AM

Bought this in the states for about $30, and I am pretty happy with it. It is not a professional grade flat iron though. On the odd occasion it does catch hair and what not but it does get hot very quickly!!
I haven't used it on wet hair yet so I can't say how it does in that aspect.
My only major complaint would be the buttons on the side are a pain in the butt to push!!

If I could get a chi or equivilent for under 100 I would but this will work great for now!

on 5/7/2011 8:39:00 AM

I'm writing a review for the Remington Wet 2 Straight that is being sold in Australia. It seems to be different from other reviews as it has very wide plates, blue digitial screen and heat settings from 180 degrees to 230 degrees. So just in case you folk from other lands are wondering what I'm going on about ;-)

I love this straightener! It has wide plates which I find so much easier to use with long hair. I have used straighteners with long thin plates for so many years and now would never touch one after using this product.

This straightener has a digitial blue screen which i really like. You can choose what temperature you want from 180 degrees to 230. I love this feature as it's so good to be able to use this as a normal straightener with dry hair on a lower setting. I never use this with wet hair but sometimes (ok a lot) I use this with damp bits of hair when I am slack in blowdrying my hair - and it always comes out looking amazing. My hair is always really straight, smooth and awesome - never frizzy.

This is definately my HG straightener - I luff it to bits!

on 5/2/2011 3:41:00 PM

I've been using this for ten days now and have yet to wait for something bad to happen to my hair based on some of the negative reviews here. Guess what? NOTHING (damage, hair loss etc...) bad happened.

I love this flat iron. I was seeking a wet-to-dry iron as hot weather season is coming up and the idea of using a blowdryer in hot weather irks me. I gave this a test run and am very pleased with the results. I used this after towel drying and air drying my hair for at least an hour then started straightening the sections. My hair looks shiny and feels silky. And it does dry as it straightens.

I have strong hair that is quite coarse, so I set it on 17.

The only thing I disliked about it was the protective plastic packaging this iron came in. It's worse than trying to unwrap a music cd. I did have one of those fancy box cutters to cut through the plastic but even with that, it took a while to get to the iron itself!

Love it though and I bought it at my trip to Target (Bellingham, Washington) for only $23 US.

on 4/24/2011 7:49:00 PM

If you don't want to spend so much $$ on a ceramic flat iron, get this one!
It's works great and the option to use it as wet to dry straightener is brilliant! However, the "frying sound" It makes tells me I should not use it on wet hair all the time. Overall, I'm happy with this purchase.

on 2/12/2011 5:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my 2nd flat iron, and I love it. I've never been very good with managing to style my hair, and this flat iron makes it easy for me. The settings are really nice, it heats up fast, it beeps to let you know when it's ready. Although there is a wet setting as well, like others have mentioned, it's just not wise to use heat on wet hair. Other than that, it's a wonderful product--especially for the price. I love it. The only thing that kind of irks me is that I threw away the packaging that had the setting directions on the back of it. I had to learn about the settings through a family member who also uses it. So if you get it, don't throw away the packaging till you learn to use it correctly.

on 1/16/2011 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I HATE THIS PRODUCT! It pulled and snagged my hair to death!

Top Rated Remington Products