Dior Dune EDT

3.6

Like a strange wind blowing from an unknown land, there's something subliminal and magical about "Dune"; it opens on a burst of cured peaches and dates, followed by crisp, peony florals and petroleum, all smelling intensely "wet" for a few moments, while the drier undernotes slowly emerge (the opening conjured up images of 40-year "rains" opening on long-baked deserts and granola-laden backpacks). Then suddenly, olfactive "silence"; an arid wind blows through "Dune", bringing faintly mineral, sweetly-peppered airs...the smell of very, very old spices (cumin, cinnamon, pepper, paprika), salt and essences (resins, myrrh, vetiver and moss) long dried and lingering in a cedar box, retrieved from deep in sand. Whispering velvet-suede and linen notes move forward, with tiny hints of skin warmed in full sun; however, the humanistic quality reads as sunbleached and long-worn, an archeologist's sand-beaten coat; fraying material taking on brittle, aromatic qualities. "Dune" smells clean because it has to; its exquisite dryness would've long blown away body oils and sweat, all while whispering of days gone by--it taunts and teases; a smoky, brisk night with campfire stories, all served up with a glass of dry, white wine. There's a fresh, outdoorsy elegance to "Dune" that tells tales of travel and adventure, piloting and trekking. Another reviewer wrote that it reminded them of the character Katharine Clifton from "The English Patient" and I could totally see that; it's sandy, aloof and elusive, ivory carved and polished into a dreamy "Garbo", all with sphinx-like appeal. It's the smell of Moroccan spiced sands and ancient pyramids, dusty planets and moons, beach sands and rocky heaths. I smell "Dune" and it reminds me of the ethereal "spice essence" of Frank Herbert's novel of the same name. I also see "Uluru" and baked, red outback...wooden merchant ships, long relieved of their duties but still carrying olfactive "ghosts" of travels past. If folktale fascination is your game, many hazy dreams will be had while wearing "Dune" and don't limit it to one place or time of day; at night, it smells like dew and desert---in late afternoon, you'll feel like you're returning home from a day at the beach.

on 6/16/2009 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is the most interesting fragrance. Fresh yet warm and spicy at the same time. Slight hint of baby powder and heavily floral as well. I get a very masculine vibe from this frag. Also, I'm smelling a vaseline/petroleum note in there if that makes sense at all. Really long lasting and powerful stuff.

on 6/14/2009 2:02:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This perfume is my personal scent of choice. I have worn this scent since grade 9 and frankly, I am now pushing 30. It may not be for everyone, however, I love the way it melds with my skin. It produces a lovely lingering after scent on all of my clothes. It is so warm, and deep and rich. Multi faceted. Spicy, but smooth. If you like warm bold scents like D&G and Bob Mackie's Perhaps, you will love this.

on 3/29/2009 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

(note: i used to not like this..review is updated)
Sometimes I like this fragrance, sometimes I don't. Like an opera diva, it's temperamental. It smells good some days, some days it's like men's aftershave!
You have to wait for the drydown. Initially, for the first hour or so, the alcohol smell overpowers the actual perfume. After that it blends with your skin.
At it's best: It DOES smell like sand dunes in some roasting Sahara! The vanilla and flower notes are very subtle, they're more like the fragrance carried by the wind to Arab merchants, reminding them of home..like a memory, like a poem. It's lovely and soft. It lasts all day.
At it's worst: Meh. Boring, but overpowering & ugh.

on 1/24/2009 9:25:00 AM

A very warm, heavy scent that makes you think of a hot summer day. I didn't find it cloying - because I love the scent - but I can see how others might find it too much. You'd definitely want to try before buying to see whether it is for you.

I would say that this is a perfume for an intimate date.

on 1/2/2009 7:15:00 PM

I got this as a gift and it was kind of insulting.
This smell is really musky and dark. When my friend smelled this, she said that she imagined a 'rich skank from the 50's' wearing this, and that's exactly how I imagined it too.
It does not smell good at all-
maybe I got an old one?
I don't know, but I smelled this and I couldn't stand it.

on 12/9/2008 2:50:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I really love this scent. But most of the time it's too warm. It almost gives you a fever:-) I feel like sun when I'm wearing it. It smells of hot wind + hot sand.

on 8/20/2008 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever experienced. It has been a fragrance staple of mine for 13 years, ever since it was given to me as a present for my 18th birthday by a classmate. I love big oriental fragrances, but this is the only oriental fragrance that I know of which possesses such singular, sheer freshness without losing any of the ambery, spicy goodness that characterizes oriental scents. This is sweet without being syrupy, spicy without being musty, sheer without being boring, floral without being old fashioned, with outstanding sillage and lasting power to boot. A joy from first spray to drydown. Classic.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A Very very good Dior of the 90's.. (created in 1991).
At the time it was something new, unlike the others: it wanted to create & reflect an image of a different woman... no more 80's... the New Age trend was there and there was this pursuit for interiority and self consciousness...
The research of new values, purest, and a new relationship with the inner you.
This beautiful fragrance incarnates all this.
It is light (but is does have an incredible staying power!!) - starts fresh & citrusy, develops with a full floral heart (jasmin & rose) and the dry down is very skin-like: vanilla & benzoin, that makes it warm and long lasting.
Feminine, classy, introspective, intimate and sensual.
Something everybody should try!
______

top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosewood, Aldehydes
heart note: Jasmine, Broom, Rose, Ylang-Ylang
base note: Vanilla, Patchouli, Benzoin, Sandal

on 7/21/2008 5:03:00 AM

I try a lot of perfumes, some I like, some I don't. Most I don't feel I want to review but some just scream out for my impressions to be written down. Dune is one of them. So potent, so rich, so sickening. An oriental headache inducing overload of amber and vanilla. It smells like a more chemical and less refined version of Ormonde Jayne Tolu on overdrive, which has a wide following amongst perfumistas but is my least favourite of the line.
There is absolutely nothing fresh or oceanic about this fragrance and I marvel at how the same scent can smell so different to different people. It's more of a gourmand to me. Has the lasting power of plutonium.
It has been composed by Jean-Luis Sieuzac, he of the great Amouage 25 for women, Luca Turin rates it 5 stars and lots of other people seem to love it. Try it for yourself, it's easy enough to find.
Edit: made a mistake, Amouage 25 is by LUCAS Sieuzac, not Jean-Luis.

Popular Fragrances