November 27, 2014 | 1513 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by linet182

As most of you have mentioned this product can be used for a multitude of things, I personally like using it as a moisturizer. I tend to have dry skin and this stuff works miracles. Beyond that, it's super healthy for your skin and actually has helped a little with my acne too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 6:40:00 PM More reviews by becca352

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this everyday as eye makeup remover. It takes all of it off very easily, even my waterproof mascara. That is the only place on my face I can use it. I tried using it as a facial moisturizer and it was disastrous. It caused major acne I hadn't experienced in years. I also use this as a body moisturizer. However, it cannot get anywhere near my chest, or it causes breakouts. I have used it sparingly on the ends of my hair. It worked well, but caused back breakouts as well. I mainly use it on my arms and legs. It is the only body moisturizer I own and it works great for that. Be very careful of this stuff if you are prone to breakouts. I apply it to my closed eyes, rub it in, and use cotton rounds to wipe it off. This method doesn't seem to cause me acne issues if I am careful about not getting it anywhere else on my face. I have used the Kroger brand called Simple Truth and the HEB Central Market brand (for those of you in Texas). I find them in the aisle with all of the cooking oils. It seems expensive but it lasts forever (my first jar lasted a year). It also works great at removing labels off of jars and getting dried hot glue and tape residue off of hard surfaces. It's a great multi purpose product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so versatile and smells amazing! My favorite brand is from Trader Joe's. It's super cheap and all natural! I use it as a moisturizer on my face and all over my body as well. Sometimes I use it for oil cleansing when I'm not using my cleansing cream. I haven't broke out from using this, instead I have a new glow:) It feels so soothing and cool on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by kwb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So I know alot of people use this for different things - I use it on my face. Started off as a moisturizer, than it evolved into a fash wash, when I started trying the OCM - oil cleaning method. This stuff is FANTASTIC. Holy moly. First thing to consider however, is if you plan on using this on your skin, to test patches for a while as a) many people are allergic to nut oils and b) this stuff is rated quite high on the comedogenic scale. I was very lucky, I used to have extremely acne prone skin (oily, dry, cystic acne for years), but I think I'm past that? *knock on wood*, because I slathered this on my face for months, and just recently found out it's considered pore-clogging for a lot of people. Weird. So approach with caution! But, if you can make this work for you, holy crap it's fantastic. I first started using it as a face moisturizer, trying to get away from all the stinky, goopy, chemical-laden night creams out there (I should let you know, my skin has been very dry that last 5 or so years, due to my year on Accutane, and my upkeep with Vit A). I would say 4/5 for moisturizing, works well, but it's not like miracle worthy? I don't notice glowing skin or anything, but it does the job. It also wipes off a little too easily before it gets a chance to sink in, so I wouldn't recommend it for the body...but my hubby uses this on his hands (which get dry to the point where they bleed and crack, due to him working with his hands all day and having excema and constantly washing them), then puts plastic gloves over overnight, and it works great for him in that sense. So, as a moisturizer, it's good, I sometimes need to supplement with another moisturizer, but not always.
As a facewash however? OH MY GOD, it's amazing. Even though I got over the fear of moisturizing and putting certain oils on my face a looong time ago (back in my teenage years when oil was the devil, and I punished my skin with BP, Proactiv, all that awful crap that turns your face into a desert), I was very wary about this and did a ton of research. I already knew it shouldn't break me out, since I'd been using it as a moisturizer for months, but due to my dry skin, I was so used to exfoliating on almost a daily basis. There's nothing I love more than scrubbing my makeup off my skin at the end of the day, and slathering on the moisturizer, you just feel CLEAN. I was worried my skin would feel slimy, and like I hadn't gotten all the crap out, but I'd also been using the CO as a makeup remover, so I thought what the hell, and dove head first, using this method day and night. First thing I noticed, is my skin felt clean, but not red or tight like after washing and exfoliating with a cleanser. I also needed less moisturizer. Woke up the next day - no pimples. It was a good start. It's now been almost a month, and I honestly don't think I'll ever ever go back so scrubbing the hell out of my skin, I've finally gotten over needing that squeaky, stripped clean feeling. My skin is way more balanced oil wise, it's less dry in the dry parts, and less oily in the oily parts, and it looks fresh. It glows, it looks brighter. I can't comment onto the acne-fighting properties as I rarely deal with acne, but the redness around my nose and scars has been significantly reduced. I still deal with blackheads however, so I still use a clarifying mask and a quick nose scrub on the weekends, but overall, I am so happy I made the switch.

Couple of tips: patch test! You could be allergic, and it could make you break out (particularly oily and acne prone people). You can use this method with other oils though, so do your research and experiment. Give it time! Some people reported an inital purging period for their skin. I did not have this, but it could happen. Again, do your research. Lastly, make sure the CO or any oil you use (I would assume the same of others), is organic, and I remember reading somewhere that cold-pressed may be worse for your skin than non cold-pressed? I'd double check.

But it's super cheap, super effective, and despite that it comes in the most awkward jar ever (but I can't blame them, most people eat the stuff), I'm hooked.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by leemitchell

I use this on my hair only, and it works great! I usually spray my hair with a water bottle and then take a handful to rub it through. Then, I tie up in a bun and either go to the gym, run errands, or clean my house. Sometimes I'll sleep with it in my hair. When I wash my hair, it keeps the shampoo from being too harsh and drying. My hair is too frizzy when it's too clean.

The results are great!

I wouldn't use this for my face. I'm way too afraid that it would cause major break outs! I think that its other uses are not good enough to compete with 'actual' products. Make up remover is not expensive, and it will probably work better than coconut oil. Lotion is not going to be as greasy, and it will moisturize as well if not better than coconut oil.

For hair that's dry and curly, coconut oil is great! For other uses... eh...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2014 5:54:00 AM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Lemme start off by saying allergies to cocoanuts are very common. So tread here lightly. For me I love coconuts. Coconut water, coconut milk , coconut scents, coconut just in general so it only seemed natural to try coconut oil with its many wonderful uses. And the coconut oil I have is the spectrum organic coconut oil I found in the cooking oil area of my grocery store. The coconut oil I have does not have a sent ( that I can detect anyway) which I was hopping for a coconut smell but oh well. Now the first thing I tried was as eye make up remover. I scooped out a pee sized amount and begun to rub it in to my eyes. Now the makeup I use is already hard to get off anyway (benefit they're real and Kat Von D tattoo liner) but I noticed if I let it sit for a while and let it soak in came off a lot easier. Yes I did look like a panda bear but it didn't sting my eyes in made my vision blurry a little bit if I open my eyes while I had the oil on my eyes but there's no Sting whatsoever. I wipe it off with a dry paper towel, I noticed if I use any kind of wet cloth it would just push around the black oil no matter the temp. it's now my go to way of taking my make up off. Next I tried it as leaving oil I rubbed in while my hair was damp. It definitely made my hair softer and more shinier when it was dry. But I prefer argon oil for this task. Next I tried to use it while shaving. Which for me was a disaster. Lol. If I exfoliate my legs however before using it it turned out fantastic. I haven't been brave enough to use it as an all over hair treatment while my hair is dry. If I ever get brave enough I'll definitely update how those results went. But so far I love using it as a makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent moisturizer for the legs without being greasy. When I use it on my hair, my hair seems to grow a little just from using it. It makes my hair a little darker and softer. Terrific to speed up hair growth.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Mira99

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I love coconut oil. First of all I use it as an eye makeup remover it does wonders. I've used plenty of makeup removers and they all irritated my eyes but this oil is perfect it leaves my eyes moisturized and it removes my waterproof mascara. Secondly I use it as a hair conditioner and it's great it leaves my hair shiny and it has many essential nutrients for my hair. Also my mum has this very dry skin so she applied it on her face and slept when she woke up she found her skin very soft and hydrated. I totally love and sure I'll repurchase. The only bad thing about it is the packaging it's in a jar and I make a mess whenever I get some I wish that any brand would make it in a more applicable package.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Words can not explain how much I HATE coconut oil.

First, let's start off with the smell. It's disgusting. It doesn't smell anything like fresh coconuts, it smells like nasty, oily, old, musty coconuts and I know for fact my jar was not rancid because I've tried several from several different brands and different stores. They're all the same. They smell like mounds bars. Musty, oily mounds bars. My mom once tried to cook with this stuff, it smelled so gross she just threw out the dish. The smell alone is bad enough to make me hate this stuff but it gets worse.

Ok, so I tried REALLY hard to find a use for this "all-purpose miracle oil" and let me tell you about all the ways it failed:

Hair: I tried using this as a pre-shampoo treatment and a leave in. As a leave in, it was horrible, which didn't really surprise me. I mean, straight up oil in my hair? As you can probably guess, it was a greasy, nasty mess. But what I didn't expect was for it to suck so much as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'm no stranger to pre-shampoo oil treatments, in fact I do them a lot because they're usually fantastic. I've used Ojon, olive oil, and Leonor Greyl oil and they were all great, so really, how could coconut oil go wrong? Well it did. It dried the crap out of my hair. My hair is mostly straight, and normally pretty soft, but after using coconut oil it was dry, frizzy, wiry, just awful, AND I noticed more split ends. Now because I was dedicated to making coconut oil work (and also dumb) I didn't try this once, or twice, but dozens of times. I tried leaving it in for 15 minutes, overnight, figuring it had to work eventually, right? Wrong.

Makeup remover: Smudgy, nasty mess that left my eyes burning, stinging, and blurry. Never again. Not even for science.

Face: Not much to say other than insta-cystic acne. Fortunately, I was smart enough to not try it on my face ever again.

Teeth: Yup, I tried oil pulling. Complete, utter, bs. Does it whiten? Sure, it removes the immediate surface stains that you get right after drinking coffee, soda, or wine, but brushing your teeth does that too. It does nothing for the deeper stains, and trust me, I stuck to a twice-daily regimen for two months hoping for it to work, but nada. Not to mention, it was disgusting. And always left me with a dry mouth, which can't be good for your teeth.

And after all this experimentation, what was I rewarded with? A FREAKING COCONUT ALLERGY. YUP. As you might know, repeated exposure to something can result in an allergy, and that is exactly what happened to me. I tried one last time to find a use for it as a body oil, and what happened? My legs broke out in hives. Itchy, painful hives. Now I swear I can smell someone who has been using coconut oil from a mile away, and it makes me gag. I don't know how this managed to get the reputation of miracle oil but it just goes to show that the mind is a powerful thing. I guess mine isn't though, because despite years of trying to convince myself this stuff has to be good for something, here I am writing this review.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by OrangeUGlad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've heard that coconut oil is a hit or miss for a lot of people. Some people swear by it, while others just break out. I'm one of the latter. Post awkward teen years, my skin is relatively normal. It's not oily, or dry, or acne prone. I sometimes get a pimple or two if I go too hard on the cashews and almonds, but other than that it's just average. So the other day I found some oils sitting around in a drawer. They weren't expired or anything, and were meant for cosmetic/hair use. So, I decided to give the coconut oil a try. I dabbed a little bit on my face where I would normally put moisturizer (t-zone and on the corners of my eyes and lips). It felt "okay" at best. Nothing life changing. Later that night I took a trip down memory lane and broke out on my forehead, above my right eyebrow. Yikes! I haven't felt the need to do any anti-acne treatment in years, so I didn't have anything specific to put on it. I just washed my face with water, tried to get off the rest with toner, and moisturized with my normal stuff. It was gone the next morning, but it gave me quite a scare. So, once again I've failed to test out a new product before slathering it on my face.
Coconut oil imho smells really nice, and I'd hate for it to go to waste, so I'll probably give it a shot as a body/hair product and update this review. But for now, the best I can give this is a 2/5.
I know this is kinda a "duh" thing for all you wonderful beauty/skincare addicts out there, but make sure you test this stuff (or any stuff, for that matter) out before putting it on your face.