April 23, 2014 | 2163 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Pamxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Let's sum up all the reviews here for the lazy : IT'S AMAZING GO BUY IT, USE IT EVERYWHERE (hair, skin..). All the good reviews seemed to talk about some miracle expensive thing so at 8$ the jar I JUST HAD. And Thanks, thanks, thanks. I empty only 2-3 products because i'm really picky and this lasted me 4 months. A MUST.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by beecky

So I've recently jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon, and it's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made for my hair. I have pretty thick, wavy, generally healthy hair as I do take quite good care of it. After getting a trim I decided to try something new to keep my hair healthier, as I had stopped using hair treatments so my hair wasn't as healthy prior to the trim. I had gotten lazy and stopped using hair masks and such. Coconut oil has gotten so popular and it's reviews online are so great I thought why not ? I've spent way more on expensive salon brand hair treatments. I put this on dry hair before bed and leave it in overnight, then wake up in the morning and wash it out. I shampoo and condition as usual, let it air dry and my hair looks very shiny, is extremely smooth and feels unbelieveably healthy and strong. I am tentative to use this on my skin, however, as I really don't want to breakout ! but in hair this product is a lifesaver. And it's natural ! Bonus !

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by venteux

I started using coconut oil as a body moisturizer when almond oil just wasn't moisturizing enough for me. I really like that it's all natural, absorbs easily and smells nice but now that winter is here I've been itching like crazy as soon as I put it on after my shower. I guess I have to start looking for another solution again! It's too bad because I really liked using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE* 2/11/2014
I finally tried CO as a hair mask and loveeee it! I have long, blonde, highlighted hair and it looks so healthy and soft! I'm going to try to incorporate this into a weekly routine because the benefits are amazing. If anyone is interested in my method: At first I tried to warm up the CO in my hands and then put it on my hair but it was too tedious and messy so I filled my bathroom sink up with hot water and placed the jar in it, it was liquid in a matter of minutes, then I poured some in my palms, put it in my hair, and repeated. My scalp is dry from the cold winter so I coated thoroughly from my scalp down to the tips of my hair, put my hair in a bun, placed a disposable shower cap over it, and kept it on for 8 hours! The next morning I washed my hair twice with my favorite shampoo (Pureology Hydrate), and continued the rest of my routine as normal!

I tried really hard to use this as a makeup remover for my mascara. Am I missing something? I only use mascara for my top eyelashes. First of all, I get it in my eyes EVERY time, no matter how hard I close them. Then, my mascara isn't coming off very easy so I have to really rub. Using a cotton round doesn't work, using just my fingers doesn't work... and on top of that, from all the tugging, eyelashes come out. I love the way CO feels on my eyelashes/eyebrows/eyelids once I have no mascara on but so far this is NOT working for me.

Lastly, when I first picked up CO from Walmart, I didn't realize that I got "refined" until recently. I was wondering why it didn't have a scent and this is why. I bought Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Virgin CO yesterday and it smells amazingggggg. I read that it has more of the "good stuff" in it so I definitely recommend people making sure they get unrefined!

*ORIGINAL POST* 12/7/2013
I've used CO in place of body lotion and I liked it. It seemed to work fine, didn't have any adverse effects, and soaked into my skin fairly well. The reason i stopped using it was because it's just really annoying when you're getting ready (and I'm usually in a hurry) to get a spoon, spoon it out of the jar, and warm it up in your hands before applying while inadvertently some chunks fall on the floor. If it was liquid at room temperature I'd probably be more apt to use it. I would still like to try it as a hair mask, though.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2013 3:07:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

I tried many years to like extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil, but it never seem to agree with me. As a hand cream, it is very greasy initially but very easy to apply. After a few hours my hands are even drier than it was before. This oil seems to strip my skin of its natural moisture the longer I use it. The worst part is the itchiness and red spots I get on my arms and hands when I apply coconut oil regularly. Although it makes an excellent eye makeup remover, it tends to clog my pores when I use it 3 days or more in a row. I get little red clogged pores around my eyes and at the base of my eye lashes. So that didn't work well either. On my skin, it is wonderful the first 2 days or so, and then all hell break lose with zit attack. Small zits, large zits, and big old cysts. I tried coconut oils many times hoping that it would work again based on all the great reviews and it fail me again and again every time. On my hair, it works very nice as pre conditioner. I can't use it as a leave in cause it attracts too much dirt and makes my hair sticking together. It makes the hair oily not moiste (which is water) that's what I need. I need moisture rich bouncy hair, not limpy dirty hair that sticks together like I haven't washed it in ages. The worst part about the leave in conditioner is that it makes my scalp break out with acne inside the hair follicle. In the end, I find no use for this coconut oil. My last hope. I will eat it for good health. Boy did it fail me again and again time after time. Even in the foods, it congested my pores and cause me to break out even worst than eating lardy fried chickens. I get painful cysts every time I add this coconut oil to my foods. Lesson learned. No more coconut oil for me no matter if it's organic, raw, cold pressed, unrefined, or bla bla bla. I simply cannot understand all the rave reviews.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by LyndseyZ

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BUY COCONUT OIL IT IS UNREFINED; unrefined means that they do not bleach and deodorize the coconut oil, your oil SHOULD smell like coconuts, if it does not then you are using unrefined and it does not have all the benefits of unrefined, and it goes through chemical processes which we don't want. Anyways I use coconut oil once a week as an overnight deep conditioner in my hair (be sure not to get it on your scalp if you have and oily scalp) I also use it on my face at night after I take my makeup off, this has helped so much for my acne! I barely get pimples anymore. I make a sugar scrub that I use to exfoliate with in the shower. Try coconut oil you will not be disappointed!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by otiliaL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about coconut oil.
I use it as a makeup remover for Colorstay foundation which is very difficult to remove with any other makeup remover, and coconut oil is the best at it although since a couple of days i have started to experience eczema and dry patches on the skin especially on the cheeks area. I believe it is from coconut oil because i haven't changed anything else in what matters my skin routine in the past weeks except adding this oil.

Pros:
- it is being absorbed easily into the skin and if you rinse it off with warm water it will remove the extra unneeded oil.
- best makeup remover
- very gentle with the eyes, won't irritate them
- soothes the skin and will rebalance the oily areas
- did not cause breakouts

Cons :
- made me have some sort of eczema and skin looks a bit uneven in some areas, like dry patches somehow too
- a bit pricey
- i used it on my dry hands and it didn't moisturize the skin.I got a totally different effect on hands than on face.

Honestly i think i will stick at using it to remove eye makeup only. It is great for that area, removes makeup in one step, even the waterproof one and soothes the sensitive skin around the eyes perfectly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by arieeel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff makes my hair shine like anything, without any chemicals. I have thin, fine hair and a sensitive scalp, and I read somewhere that coconut oil can help condition the scalp if you use it as a pre-shampoo treatment. When I first got it I experimented using it in different amounts, with different results (using one whole tablespoon was a disaster, but I know that now.) Now I've found the perfect amount: I keep my coconut oil in a spray bottle (I live in a warm, humid climate so at room temperature it's liquid) and spray once into the palm of my hand, and add 2-3 drops of neem oil. It amounts to about half a teaspoon which I think is just right for those with thin hair, but you can add more if you have thick hair. Then I massage this mix all over my head. After that I use a sulfate-free shampoo. When it dries, I'm left with soft, glossy hair without any greasy residue. Works like a charm. I'm using this for oil pulling too, and a heavy moisturizer mixed with shea butter when my skin needs it. I wouldn't recommend this as a leave-in conditioner for fine-haired girls though - it's much too heavy. Use grapeseed oil to condition the ends of your hair instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Allioa09

Seriously, I use this stuff for everything. I use it as a hair mask, make up remover, lip balm, even actual cooking. I am a firm believer that coconut oil can do anything!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by chelsea7387

This stuff is like magic. As you can see, many others agree. I use it as a hair mask, makeup remover and moisturizer. It's healthy to cook with, I even put it on my picky dog's food and he loves it. Plus it makes his coat super shiny (for those other dog moms out there). The only downside is when I put it on my legs, he won't leave me alone trying to lick the stuff off!