Hanae Mori Butterfly EDP

3.8

on 9/13/2010 12:54:00 AM

When I first got this perfume, I was working in a store where men's cologne was sprayed throughout the store every hour, so a sweet feminine scent like this one was like a breath of fresh air. Now a few years later I find that this scent by itself is much too feminine for me, and it borders on "old lady". HOWEVER, I have figured out that by wearing a dab of this perfume with a dab of any men's cologne really balances out the scent and turns it into something completely different, something I like, and get a lot of compliments on. So if you get frustrated with this perfume, it's a great scent for mixing with other fragrances until you get a blend you like. The other thing I wasn't crazy about is the large, butterfly shaped cap. It's awkward, bulky, and it fell off so many times that I just stopped putting it back on.

on 7/31/2010 5:58:00 PM

Sickingly too sweet. But great staying power.

on 5/27/2010 12:22:00 AM

I first saw Butterfly a couple of years ago in Sephora. After reading countless favorable reviews for this, I was very excited to test it. I tested both the EDP and the EDT at least half a dozen times in varying weather/seasons. While I don't find it to be a totally unpleasant perfume, I can't say that I enjoy it. To my nose, HM Butterfly smells like bland fruit salad with lukewarm cream poured on top, served in a melted plastic container. The "melted plastic note" that I detect is what makes me a bit queasy. Additionally, this scent lacks "zing" and it falls flat. It just feels as though something is missing. I most always prefer an EDP to an EDT, but with this, I simply cannot tolerate the EDP. The EDT is a bit more fresh and wearable.

The sillage is fantastic and one spray lasted hours and hours on my skin. I really wanted to love HM Butterfly and perhaps I would like it more on someone else.

On me, Hanae Mori Butterfly smells warm, sexy and not overly sweet, even though I prefer to use it only at night, when going out to some clubs and parties. If the weather is really hot, I just spray a small amount.
I recommend to women in their 20's and 30's who would like to wear an "adult vanilla" scent, but it would be nice to try a sample first, since all fragrances tend to react differently on each skin.

on 4/11/2010 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Love this. Nice, sweet, and creamy. My comfort scent, apart from Burberry classic. This is not a sexy scent, but I adore it because it is so comforting and it makes me really happy and mellow. Lasting power is superb.

on 1/29/2010 6:26:00 PM

This makes me smell like a princess! I love wearing it though I tend to go overboard with it! It is definitely pricey and I wish I could find something similar without the price tag. This probably isn't the scent for everyone, but its flirty and girly and perfect for someone like me! I wish the bottle was as fun as the scent though!

on 1/14/2010 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I wore this when it first came out. I RARELY buy any frag twice as I tend to want to find "something new". For some reason I decided recently to give this another go. All I can say about this is: This is what Pink Sugar can only HOPE to be . . . . All Grown Up and Sexy YUMMY!!! LOL

on 12/31/2009 7:23:00 PM

In one word: DIVINE!!

on 11/13/2009 11:19:00 PM

I have to say when I first got this and tried it, it smelled like an average cloying floral perfume to me. Then, after about an hour at work, it turned sweeter and softer. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't stop smelling my wrist in disbelief. It's beautiful and reminds me of L de Lempika (which I love!). I will buy more of this when I run out.

on 10/1/2009 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Very sweet, very vanilla. Loved it at first, but then became too sweet for me. It's not bad -- I may break it out one day again.

UPDATE: I tried to break it out again, but just don't like it. It's strawberries, almonds, vanilla, but it's just too sweet and musky. I think as I get older, I'm starting to dislike overly sweet scents.

Popular Fragrances