April 17, 2014 | 1567 users online

Treatments - Mavala - Nail Hardener

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 4:01:00 AM More reviews by MilleM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the best!! Only product I have tried that will make my paper thin nails strong and healthy!

It's a clear blue fluid that is easily absorbed and doesn't leave anything on the nail.
I use it once a day for two weeks and then a couple of times a week. It works best with a good nail oil, since it can be a bit dehydrating for the nails.
After one month with this nail strengthener and nail oil, my nails have gone from short brittle stumps to beautiful nails. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by DitaVee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm on my third bottle of this (over about 4 years), I just love it and luckily I haven't experienced brittleness or flaking.

The first time I used the product I applied it twice a day for a week all over and under my nail, then switched to using the correct instructions until the bottle was empty. From then on, I've rarely had to use it (actually only on my 3rd bottle because I spilled one) as my nails have continued to to be so much stronger. Prior to using this my nails split and flaked and were extremely soft and flexible. This makes my nails hard, but not too hard and is much easier to use than the polish type, where you apply it for so many days, then remove it and start again, as it just absorbs straight into the nail.

Now, I only use it when I feel my nails are a bit soft and I still don't quite use it as per the instructions, I use it for about 3 days in a row, twice a day over my whole nail, just when I feel that my nails are becoming soft, and that usually does the job for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by FunkyMonkeyNOTaDonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love.Love.LOVE this product. It is 4% formeldehyde, not mostly form as others have mentioned. The concentration is considered high though in comp. to other cosmetics products. If you use ANY other nail treatment with form. in it then you should use only 1 at a time or overdrying will occur. Also use this 2-3 times a week at most. I have used this for about 2 months. I use a hydrating base coat in addition to this- nothing with extra protein or hardeners. I apply this to more than just the tips of my nails, but rarely, i have noticed it works better this way for me.
Due to this product i was able to FINALLY get really long nails, and they just do not break, they are hard but not brittle.

this is not a polish or base coat, instead it is in an actual treatment that is absorbed by the nail.

1 bottle lasts about a year if used according to directions, do *look* at your nails and use more sparingly when you see they are getting hard or brittleness will occur.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2009 9:36:00 AM More reviews by malishka31

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

FYI product contains 4.5% formaldehyde - that is why it works and it works very well. Make sure to use it as directed...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2009 5:17:00 PM More reviews by starspex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

So far i'm liking this. My nails are already firm and in good shape so i didnt NEED this to strengthen its more like a maintainance method i thought i'd try. i like that this is a light liquid which although blue in color dries clear and vanishes almost immediately (provided you use sparingly) unpon application. i also like how unlike other nail treatments its not like a polish you need to put on every other day and then take off, it literally just absorbs in the nail you apply as often as directed. I think i can say it has helped add reinforcement to the strength my nails already have and it seems like it'll last ages. a 5ml bottle is apparently a years supply but i can see this lasting longer

update nov 09. i ADORE this magic blue stuff, its saved me from numerous potential breaks. my nails have had a few shakes that im sure would've broken em had it not been for my use of this. :).

This is the ONLY product ive found thats put an end to my splitting nails along the surface/root corners of my nails. 5 stars, i'd give 10 if it could make em indestrucatable to ever ever breaking

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Gradle

I hate to ruin the good reviews, but this stuff ruined my nails. I stumbled upon the reviews and decided to purchase based on the excellent ratings. My nails had finally grown out and looked nice, and based on the reviews this seemed like a good product to maintain the health of my nails. Almost immediately my nail tips started peeling and flaking off, but I kept using this weekly for about six weeks to give it a chance. The entire time I used it my nails were a flaky mess, and they've started growing a bit now that I've stopped. While using this, I continued to use the same base coat I'd been using, so really the only change was the Mavala Nail Hardener. I really wish that I got the results that everyone else got, but my search for a good nail strengthener continues. If this works for you, it's a great buy because this one bottle looks like it will last forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2009 2:59:00 PM More reviews by rmcrump813

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Mavala system since december 20,2008. I have to say using the Nail Hardener and the Nail shield once a week or when getting manicure has done wonders for my nails. I also use the Mavaderma and Nailactan every night. I have used artifical nails(acrylic and gels nails) since I was 18 years old, i am now 32 years old. So I thought there was no hope for me, my nails were just going to be damaged forever. I got tired of the artifical nails because since my nail bed was so weak, the nails would break and when the heat was applied during the refill, my nail bed would burn. It also become so expensive for the fills and soaking and applying new sets. It feels so good, getting manicure, less expensive and healthy for my nails. Since I have been going for manicure, The main nail technician who has been using the product on my nails, everytime I go, has really noticed a difference. When I take out the products, people will ask me where did I get the products from? My nails are definitely a lot stronger, and look healthier. I have to keep my nails short because my nails naturally curl and they will break if I don't keep them short. I would like to thank everyone who made comments about this product, If it wasn't for you I wouldnt have known about this product and definitely wouldn't have purchased it. I look to makeupalley for all my products regarding nail and skin care.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This product (Scientifique), is 4.5% formaldehyde and is supposed to be applied only to the white portion of the nail to harden/strengthen the tips. I contacted Mavala and was told that overuse will cause nail tips to break, flake, or peel from over-drying. It does work to make the nail tips harder almost immediately because it's absorbed.

Some people are allergic to formaldehyde and shouldn't use this product. Also, Scientifique shouldn't be put on the pink portion of the nail or on cuticles because it can can cause dryness, burning, and aching. I used a mask when I applied it because of the strong odor.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by ames1001

yes yes yes - AMAZING stuff, before this my nails would peel from one side to the other or flake at the tips and they would never grow due to this, at some points i could even completely bend them down but this stuff has worked wonders!!!!! i have not had my nails this long for years and i think thats because not that it makes them grow but it makes them strong enough so they get a decent chance to grow!!!! this stuff comes with all kinds of warnings due to the formaldahyde (sp) but i have tried a few different ways. it states like twice a week then only ever other week but at first i did every night on the tip then on the whole nail and now i have calmed down now that they are at a level of strength im happy with but every now and again i will apply a coat all over let it soak in then apply another and thats it for the week! this is a def HG item and ignore the price because this stuff will last soooooooo long its unreal i have had mine 4 months and havnt even dented the amount!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by MonicaRockvilleMD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product works too well. It definitely hardens the nails but it does so in a way that I think actually changes the chemical compostion of the nails -- they end up as hard as concrete and you can really hurt yourself if your fingers get caught in something. So I use it sparingly.

I also wish the bottle wasn't so tiny, and had more stability. Brush is difficult to work with too.