DevaCurl Angell

3.7

This is a nice curly-hari gel overall, but not significantly better than other cheaper brands I've tried. I don't like the smell, which I'm finding is the case with all DevaCurl products, although of all the products this has the least offensive odor. I think it works just FINE, but not enough to justify spending the extra $$.

on 11/23/2008 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I got my fine, curly hair cut by a DevaCurl person who told me the routine: to put this gel on my hair when still wet, blot dry with an old T-shirt or towel, set curls and let it alone. I've given it the ol' college try for 2 months now--the gel certainly lasts!--but this product makes my hair worse, every time I use it I have a bad hair day. It dries out my curls and somehow manages to weigh them down as well. I think the NoPoo is a good idea, but for styling and conditioning, I'll stick to Bumble & Bumble curl creme, thanks.

on 9/22/2008 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Love this product! Calms down my unruly curls and makes them look pretty and manageable. You definitely need to follow the instructions to get that result, however. You're supposed to coat your curls with the gel, then let it dry for a few minutes. Afterwards you can scrunch and style as usual. Angell does not completely eliminate flyaways, but it does a good job in combination with other Deva products of bringing them down to a reasonable level.

on 8/30/2008 3:47:00 PM

I've bought this a couple of times in conjunction with other DevaCurl products. This is an okay gel, but frankly the DevaCare ArcAngell blows this out of the water, particularly if you find the hold/frizz prevention on this to be too weak. This would often leave my hair crispy and stringy, but the ArcAngell doesn't. I would rec. trying this first if you're new to the Curly Girl method, however, as it might just be all the hold you need. For those with troubled hair like myself, it probably won't be.

on 7/29/2008 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

It is the best curl activator I have ever used!!! I love the definition it gives to my hair. My hair is something between 3c and 4a, but it is texturized and seems more like 3b, 3c. It is also between fine and medium. I was in doubt if it would work for me, took a long time to try... Well, it works nicely.

However, maybe the great results are also due to the fact that I use a lot of masks and ampoules. My hair is very hydrated.

Anyway, never had such results with any other product. I hope my hair never gets tired of it.

on 5/23/2008 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I strayed from this and I'm sorry I did. I love this gel. My hair is 2a to 3a, depending on the weather and this gel gives just enough hold without getting crunchy or weighing my hair down. It seems so fresh and clean and rinses away pretty easily.

I found that I have better luck with it on very damp hair that has just been scrunched with a towel as opposed to applying it straight out of the shower. It also performs better when used with the Set It Free spray.

on 3/15/2008 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

No hold and my hair just felt plain sticky after using it. I had to wash my shoulders and the nape of my neck because of the stickiness and then ended up washing it out of my hair completely after 6 hours. My scalp was still humid and sticky by the time I washed it out. Horrible consistency that reminded me of Curly Custard. Over-all disgusting and I will never use again.
To all Curly Girls:
Don't buy the hype of this overpriced product. It may be a natural alternative, but the cons outweigh the pros.Try something better to make your curls standount. I love using Nexxus' Exxtra Gel. Great hold and my curls look defined and shiny all day. My curls have never looked, felt or smelled better.

on 12/30/2007 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't like this gel. It doesn't provide enough hold, no matter how much I use and does not hold up well in humidity. It makes my hair feel very producty and I really dislike that. I have long, 3b curls that is not color treated.

on 12/24/2007 9:59:00 AM

I'm still baffled as to why anyone likes this product. I have medium-thick, curly-to-wavy, coarse (porous) color-treated hair. This reminds me of old-fashioned Dippity-Do at six times the price. Crunchy hair, not especially great curls, and frizz (even with silicone drops). There are far better products. If you want an independent e-tailer gel that makes soft curls and smells lovely (like tea) try Qhemet Biolgics Honeybush Hair Tea gel. If salon-type products are more your style, try Redken Full Frame mousse (humectant + hold = fab curls!).

on 12/14/2007 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

For reference my hair is naturally curly (3a/b), fine, medium density, colored and chemically treated. This product leaves my hair feeling horrible... dry, coated and worst of all very stiff. I will not repurchase and I would not recommend.

Popular Styling Products