April 20, 2014 | 1585 users online

Treatments - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by djr3322

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin went through a through cleansing/purging the fist week of using this product. For me this meant a multitude of small white bumps accompanied by several cysts in the forehead region. Though despite the hellish purging of my problem skin I could notice the tone of my skin to be greatly improved, it was smoother and more radiant. I saw great results with this product that I thought were not possible having used many other things that were ineffective.

Also, i experienced a lot of stinging and burning in the beginning, enough to make me wonder.. my skin in not sensitive at all either and the irritation was hard to take. Three weeks later though that all subsided and I'm left with skin on its way to perfection.

Glycolic acid is a wonderful ingredient for skin. It is strong, efficiently effective, and I'm left with the timeless assurance that "Powerful demons require a powerful exorcism".

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just got this, and I intend to update once I get further into the jar. Wanted to review on initial feelings.

-My skin is in the worst shape it has ever been. I have extremely acne-prone skin. It is very dry. It is also oily, patchy, uneven, and in the past 2 years I have had problem with hyper-pigmentation (which I had never had before in my life, even with moderate/severe acne in high school). Did not want to go to a derm and be put on drugs just yet, so I have been trying everything under the sun, without many results. The thing that had been sort of keeping my acne at bay has been Apple Cider Vinegar, but it is very harsh to the skin and has only been effective in treating the acne, not so much preventing it. So, after reading that AHA might help, I'm giving it a try.

So far, I have only experienced relief. It doesn't sting or irritate my skin when I put it on (it tingles a bit for about 30 seconds), and I have only been using a teeny tiny bit. It seems to cover really well and easily, and I want to make sure I don't have an adverse reaction. I will slowly add more as I progress. I have noticed some small bumps, but rather than pores getting congested, irritated, and infected, it looks as if deep clogs are surfacing. There is no pain associated with these bumps, so I'm hopeful that my skin is just now able to push out gunk that has been there for ages. I will be impressed if that is the case, because my pores are major-league congested.

It is a very calming way to exfoliate, so I hope it works. I cannot do physical exfoliation, as I break out like crazy. Will update soon.

EDIT - Day 4: Holy cow, this stuff is awesome! I have seen a reduction in zits (not a huge one, but definitely noticeable!) and a HUGE difference in skin texture! I am seriously hoping it only gets better from here. After only a few days, my face is looking less red and blotchy, wayyy smoother, and my pores feel... less clogged. It's hard to describe. I have been getting the occasional bump, that when touched slightly, will ooze a bit of waxy sebum. Nothing inflamed. Purging perhaps? Otherwise, some of the active acne lesions on my face are still there, and have been somewhat irritated. I am excited for them to heal so that I can finally see what my face looks like clearer. I have increased the amount I put on, and have noticed a mild stinging.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by shafna

I am not very sure how much i like this product, but i do apply is religiously every night.
I actually get it shipped to the middle east cos we dont get it here and its not cheap with the shipping costs.
This is like a regular cream. I had inititally use the 10%lotion and then moved up to this. I usually wash my face at night and then apply this.
I dont recommend this in the mornings unless u want to really get tanned.
If i have small cuts on my face (pimple, etc) or very dry skin, then its burns.. but just for a second or two.
the only reason i think this is working is cos i am 31, and i was travelling earlier this year and people thought i was younger, more like 26 or so. I have two small babies, and lack of sleep and yet if ppl think that, its a good thing no?
Anyways, next update in 5 yrs :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by birdybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for several weeks now. During the first week or so, I did have some very minor breakouts - just a few whiteheads here and there. After the first week my skin fully cleared up and is looking the best it has in a while. I can't say that I see a dramatic difference but I do feel like the texture and tone of my skin has improved. I will continue to use this.

I apply this at night after I've cleansed my face. After the AHA has soaked into my skin, I apply a nighttime moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by adipose

~3.5 stars
Toward the end of last semester, my skin was not in a very good condition. I read a lot of positive reviews about this product and it seemed like it would do everything I needed: fade acne scars, brighten complexion, correct uneven skin tone, improve texture, etc. I've been using this product for almost 2 months, so long enough for it to have an effect. I have noticed some subtle changes in my skin but it did not really do what I hoped for. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give it a good rating largely for one reason---it's gotten rid of all my acne.
Before I started using it, I think had mild to moderate acne, nothing too problematic: 1-2 pimples per week that disappeared relatively quickly, but I often got cysts during my period that took longer to heal and usually left scars that last forever. After I started using this product, (after the initial 'purging'), though, I've hardly gotten any acne---definitely no cystic acne.
Also, I think it has brightened my skin somewhat. My skin looks a bit paler and not as dull, but it's not a dramatic change.
On the other hand, I bought the product primarily to fade my acne scars and even out my skin tone. (I have some discoloration around my lips, a bit of hyperpigmentation from acne scars and pitted scars). Unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvements in these areas in spite of 8 weeks' worth of conscientious daily application. Oddly enough, though, I have this sort of shallow scar on my forehead from early childhood (apparently due a cat scratch), and it seems to be getting less noticeable. Of course, this might just be wishful thinking.

To offer my own experience on some of the things other reviewers have commented on:
-I have a slightly oily t-zone so the product felt a bit heavy upon initial application, but it absorbed pretty quickly for me and my skin is no oilier than usual.
-I never experienced any stinging, but I don't have sensitive skin.
-Purging: I didn't notice much change at first. I was expecting my skin to purge, but nothing happened for the first week. I tried using more product, and for the subsequent two weeks or so, I started getting more whiteheads, often in places where I don't normally get any acne (cheeks, chin). After that, they disappeared, and no change (for the worse).

tl;dr summary
Pros:
1) completely acne free! :D
2) brightens skin
3) no adverse reactions (purging/stinging/hypersensitivity/etc.)
Cons:
1) did not [noticeably] fade acne scars or pitted acne scars
2) did not [noticeably] correct discoloration
3) no change in skin texture/evenness
4) kind of expensive? (I am a cheap person...)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by hibzy

I can never never thank enough AHA Souffle 12%. This is the product which freed me years of matured acne. I used to have major acne problems then i read reviews of this product on drugstore.com and decided to give it a go. in the past i had used so many products which didn't work at all even my dermatologist couldn't do anything it was that bad. it's the best product out there for people who have acne/pimple problem. When i started to use this it did sting me a little but it went away after few days. In first few weeks it's going to break you out like crazy but don't get scared as it means that it's working. it's gonna bring everything to surface first and then start cleaning it. For me, it not just cleared my acne but after regular use i don't have acne anymore. i used it for 2-3 years constantly and it solved my acne problem. now i have stopped using it and still don't get any acne after months. I love this product with all my heart. I did what expensive products couldn't do for me! I love it!

Just want to add one thing that it cleared out my acne in few months i just used it for years because i loved it and my made my skin to glow.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by emkenn

This is a great exfoliant. It does sting and it can cause a chemical burn (I can't put it on parts of my neck, it causes a burn that looks and feels like a sunburn). But this stuff really makes your skin smooth and glowy after use. I may try a different product in the line to avoid the burning.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by ef604

I have been using the 10% lotion for a while and absolutely love it. I decided to try the souffle to see if I can get an even better result since the percentage of AHA is higher. I am sad to report that I do not like it as much. And the worst part is that I think it is breaking me out!!! Not cool. At first I thought it was something else, but every single time I would use this, I would wake up with a few pimples on my face. This does not happen with the 10% lotion. Will not be buying again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2011 11:04:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This seems to be an effective cream, but I much prefer the Enhanced Cream over this one because it is less rich, and for my oily skin, I need something relatively light. This is probably a product more suited for dry or more mature skin, and since mine seems to be so very oily,I can't consistently use this without feeling like it is far too heavy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 11:14:00 PM More reviews by CG1981

My skin definitely looks much better when i use this continuously. When i stop, my skin is much duller. I do not have much of a problem with acne, so i cannot comment on that, but when i use this continuously my skin just has a brighter look to it. To be honest though, honey masks, when i use them regularly do just about the same for my complexion.
I bought this from drugstore.com, but you can always just get honey from your cupboard :)

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No