Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

4.1

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 2, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein (Peptides), Green Tea Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, PVM/MA Decadene Crosspolymer, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT

on 6/16/2012 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Oh man! I was really excited to try this, after reading so many positive reviews. But, sadly...I just cant keep it up....as it causes me to break out with cold sores!!! So, this review is for people who have the cold sore virus in their system...do not use this! Even if you stay away from your mouth/chin area...you will still get them. I have googled AHA and cold sores..and I keep coming up to the same info...it is a no-go for people ike me. I wish I would have done that before I bought the Alpha Hydrox products. I went on a kick and bought the swipes and the oil free 10% gel, too.

I am not giving this a low review because its total ineffectiveness, but more so bc it just wasn't for me. I cannot use it. I noticed I kept on getting very small, blister-like/white head -like spots either right near by lips, or half on my lip and half on my skin. I never get pimples there. But I thought, maybe this is the purging. Then, I thought, well I do get cold sores, so maybe I am just getting a cold sore. Even though they didnt really look like a typical cold sore.

But after a couple weeks now, and constant little blisters near my lips...and after researching AHAs and finding out they cause cold sores in those people who have the cold sore virus...I have come to the conclusion that the little blister like pimple spots are little cold sores. I noticed they would pop up, go away, but never fully go away, so my mouth area would look a little uneven and red, then they would just pop up again! The only good thing is that they are not the horrible, nasty, large, painful, crusty cold sores. Just small little ones that look like pimples..but still, I don't want them around my mouth!

This is probabaly why my breakouts seem to be getting better...except for my chin/mouth area..bc the damn cold sores don't go away. I thought they were pimples the whole time, so I was layering the AHA on them..only to realize now they were cold sores.

I'm not good with time frames...I have been using this for about 3 weeks. Honestly, I have not noticed anything dramatic, regarding the texture or softness of my skin. My breakouts, yes they are better, but I am also back on Doxy, Rx BP, as well as using fish oil, zinc and black currant oil for clear skin, elimating dairy and on a juicing with veggies and fruit kick. I was stupid and stopped my Rx meds back in Nov, bc I had been clear for over 2 yrs. I was clear up until March, then all hell break lose, and my skin looked the worst it has ever looked.

I used it in the AM and PM. I dreaded it for about a week and half. It stung, not just for 30 seconds like most people say, but more so for about 15 minutes afterward. I have tough skin, too. Not sensitive. I would wash with the Alpha Hydrox cleanser first, then apply the souffle, then wait and would apply my Rx BP. I did not use a moisturizer, like they say to. But I did not experience any dryness or flaking or peeling. Just a little bit, but from the BP. This week it did not sting as much. And it only lasted for about a minute. So, my skin definitly got used to it.

I will say though, I guess I did notice my pores on my nose get smaller and less blackheads. Though, they weren't real noticeable to begin with, but when I would look in a magnifer mirror, I'd see them. And this week, I did not notice any when I looked in my mirror. Oh, and I don't really know if I purged, because like I said, I was already breaking out bad, plus I may had already purged when I started back up on my Doxy pills. I did have some new smaller breakouts in areas of my face that I was not breaking out in...but I can't say for certain it was the purge. And more so, just my skin going crazy :-(.

I wanted to keep using it, to see if I would notice the great results like so many people have raved about...but I can't deal with these little annoying blister like sores.

Hope this helps anyone who gets cold sores...don't try it! It may help but you'll be plauged with annoying bumps all around your mouth.

EDIT: It has been 5 days since I stopped the Souffle. My little bumps around my mouth were already smaller the next day after I stopped, and completely gone by day 3 of no Souffle. Also, my breakouts have significntly decreased this week..but that may be from my regimine of vitamins and RX.

on 6/13/2012 9:43:00 AM

i have to say this is one of the best creams i have used, with just using it for 5 days my pores are smaller and some of the deep wrinkles are getting smaller which i just cant get over (happy days) it does sting just a little bit some times but only on some of the wrinkles the rest of my face seems fine. I have never written a review before so for me to take the time to write this the cream must be good. I still have two deep wrinkles under my eyes which it is helping but not as fast as the couple on my cheeks (years of smoking which i still do) but i have to say im starting to like what i see at last, and apart from that people are saying i look younger and cant believe im 42 which has never happened,cant wait for the next few weeks to see have much more it can do.

on 6/12/2012 12:45:00 AM

I used this and noticed the difference in my skin. The brown spots evened out and the pores became less noticeable. If it were readily available, I would have reordered and may yet anyway. I've been trying other aha products since and find that they are fine too. Probably not as good as this but easier to get hold of.

If you see it, buy it would be my recommendation.

on 6/10/2012 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I purged when I first started using the product. It took me about 2 weeks to get past that stage. I purged after I stopped using it too. In between, my skin looked less red, more tamed, acne had dried out and was overall more even. Why did I stop? Im a beauty junkie, I wanted to try new stuff. Especially more natural, less chemical products that can be used for life. It wasn't the new product, because it happened every time I used this in between & went on to another. If your going to use this for life, then invest in it (money and time wise). If your looking to get over your problem skin phase & switch to more natural/organic or even oils in your daily routine then this will just be a major delay for you. Choose your pick.

I really really love this product!!! its so really effective and very affordable. im happy that i found this amazing cream!!!:D

on 5/23/2012 9:49:00 PM

ahhh so i started using this product on Sunday night and I was pretty iffy about using it because I have very acne prone skin. to be honest, my skin is breaking out pretty badly, and I have every kind of pimple at the moment. from little whiteheads to big painful zits. ahh i'm sure this is my "purging" stage, and I'm hoping for these breakouts to clear up in the following weeks! good thing is though that I don't feel any sort of tingling or pain at all when using this. overall, my skin complexion looks much brighter and my skin tone looks more even. i will definitely keep using this product!
UPDATE! so i've been using this for about two and a half weeks now, and i am definitely still in the purging phase. it's quite a nightmare, but i'm determined to stick with the product until this purging phase is over. i'm getting lots of pimples on my chin, and also tiny little bumps all over my cheeks and jawline. SO FRUSTRATING.
UPDATE #2! i started using clean and clear persa gel, which is a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream, and it literally cleared up my bumps within a couple of days. my skin is now looking so amazing. the aha has really evened out my skin tone and my skin just looks so much smoother. loving it! i will update again after a couple of months because i know that my skin will only continue to improve after more time using this!

on 5/11/2012 6:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Go to your nearest Walgreen's and buy this cream NOW! This is by far the best purchase I have ever made...period! I am a week into using AHA Souffle and my skin has never looked better. It's truly a miracle! My complexion is brighter, more even and I've kissed my breakouts goodbye! I have deep undereye creases right where my undereyes meets
my cheeks. Boom! ...Significantly smoothed out in three days flat!
I am a believer now. I will never be without an extra jar of this cream in my possession. It stings a little at first but it's worth the results. I've read about people going through a purging stage and a peeling stage but that has not happened to me. The worst thing so far is I got a little in my eye and it stung like hell! Go get this product!!!

on 5/3/2012 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This cream is a dream come true. I'm on my second jar now, and it's definitely HG status for me. It's given me the best skin of my life! Totally clear, even, smooth, soft.... and consistently so! it's amazing. In the past i was really liking Retin-A, but it was always touch-and-go with dryness, etc. But this alpha hydrox soufflee is so much easier on the skin with much better/faster results. Since using this cream at night, i don't have to use a cleanser in the morning anymore --just a splash of water. And at night i cleanse with Olay Daily Facials for normal skin. That's it. Fantastic cream and definitely worth a try. In the past i tried using the gel formula, but it was too drying. This soufflee is much gentler, and more effective.

on 4/28/2012 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This gives me better skin than any other product I've tried, both by Alpha Hydrox or any other line. Although I honestly feel that Alha Hydrox products that I tried have been very very good, this one is just better!
It does what AHAs are meant to do. It exfoliates, clears up acne, moisturizes, gives a clearer, brighter complexion...overnight!
My skin: moderately oily t zone and dry to normal cheeks. I'm not overly prone to breakouts, except on those few, special, days before that time of the month ( but this product is particularly helpful during this time).

I purchased this in TJ Maxx for $ 7.99, it's not always there but I have seen it a lot more lately.
Must apply sunscreen otherwise you will expose newly, freshly exfoliated baby skin to the sun, which is aging and a definite NO-NO. So wear sunscreen !!!

on 4/24/2012 1:52:00 PM

Before I start, I will say my skin tone is pretty uneven, left with some hefty acne scars and faint brown spots on my fair skin. I looked up products on Ulta's website and this showed up in my search for "treatments." The description states that it does help to even out skin tone and texture. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about trying this product as I read about skin purging and with my horrible experience with acne when I was a teen (I had to be put on Accutane because I had such severe skin issues) I was very nervous. Here and there as of late I get patches of acne right in my chin/cheek area and I know it had to do with being on and off birth control many times within the last couple of years. So I decided to just give it a shot even if it was just for a couple of weeks to see how it worked on my skin. It's been great so far. Just a couple of days ago my chin area began to do its purging but I expected there to be a huge huge patch of acne spots on my face. These are barely noticeable what feel like millions of mini bumps on this area. You cannot even see the outlines of them. They are only noticeable when you actually touch that area. The rest of my face hasn't had any other sort of reaction to this souffle. Within the first full week I got random zits here and there but they were dried out and gone literally within a day. It's begun to dwindle down now after just a week and a half of using this product. Honestly I don't see a huge change in my complexion but again this is just because I've been using it for less then 2 weeks. I wanted to write this review early for those who are hesitant in purchasing who, like me, noticed the abudance of reviews talking about how the "skin purging" stage is. Overall, this stage is really not bad at all. I will edit this review after a month of use. Hopefully I will then see a difference in tone and texture. Stay tuned.....

Also FYI - this product is great in small dime uses. You DO NOT need a whole lot. That was my biggest mistake the first night I used it. Just a dime size and it will be enough otherwise your face will be left feeling a bit greasy, especially if you use this twice a day like I do and apply it under your makeup and after an SPF moisturizer. Use sparingly! Also (and I think this might have to do with me already using nightly a Glycolic gel cleanser) I haven't experienced any red patches or areas of severe sensitivity like some reviewers have.

Popular Treatments (Face)