July 30, 2014 | 1605 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Raychxelle

Before I start, I will say my skin tone is pretty uneven, left with some hefty acne scars and faint brown spots on my fair skin. I looked up products on Ulta's website and this showed up in my search for "treatments." The description states that it does help to even out skin tone and texture. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about trying this product as I read about skin purging and with my horrible experience with acne when I was a teen (I had to be put on Accutane because I had such severe skin issues) I was very nervous. Here and there as of late I get patches of acne right in my chin/cheek area and I know it had to do with being on and off birth control many times within the last couple of years. So I decided to just give it a shot even if it was just for a couple of weeks to see how it worked on my skin. It's been great so far. Just a couple of days ago my chin area began to do its purging but I expected there to be a huge huge patch of acne spots on my face. These are barely noticeable what feel like millions of mini bumps on this area. You cannot even see the outlines of them. They are only noticeable when you actually touch that area. The rest of my face hasn't had any other sort of reaction to this souffle. Within the first full week I got random zits here and there but they were dried out and gone literally within a day. It's begun to dwindle down now after just a week and a half of using this product. Honestly I don't see a huge change in my complexion but again this is just because I've been using it for less then 2 weeks. I wanted to write this review early for those who are hesitant in purchasing who, like me, noticed the abudance of reviews talking about how the "skin purging" stage is. Overall, this stage is really not bad at all. I will edit this review after a month of use. Hopefully I will then see a difference in tone and texture. Stay tuned.....

Also FYI - this product is great in small dime uses. You DO NOT need a whole lot. That was my biggest mistake the first night I used it. Just a dime size and it will be enough otherwise your face will be left feeling a bit greasy, especially if you use this twice a day like I do and apply it under your makeup and after an SPF moisturizer. Use sparingly! Also (and I think this might have to do with me already using nightly a Glycolic gel cleanser) I haven't experienced any red patches or areas of severe sensitivity like some reviewers have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by impishnature

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Me: 40s/white/natural and sun "enhanced" freckles ha ha/normal-to-oily skin...no significant wrinkling (yet). I have some sun damage/uneven skin tone, blackheads on the sides of my nose, occasional giant elephant-sized single zit breakouts on my chin. Hate them. But hey! No longer!

I don't like using moisturizers/products on my face...I know! I l know! I just don't. I used to just wash my face in the shower and that's that. Even a scrub can whack my skin out; creams break me out. Best just to clean it and leave it alone!

After having my 2nd baby, my skin went through the usual hormonal shifts. When they stopped a year later, I was left with weird patches of dry skin on my normally normal-to-oily face and these monster hormonal single pimples from the depths of HELL that would appear on my chin that would last for weeks. *insert four letter word here*. I tried this just based on its fantastic/top of the pile reputation here.

It's amazing. I use it after I shower. It took about 2-3 weeks for me to actually believe the change on my face and not think it was just another phase. If you're trying this, give it time...not a few days or even a week.

PROS: Softens skin, brightens, evens tone a bit, completely nuked all breakouts. All. No period zits, nada. The dry patches are gone. I've never had skin this soft...wild. And the fact I'm rubbing a cream-like product on my face without breaking out? Absolutely unheard of. It makes my skin look more dewy, fresh, even -- abso - freakin' - lutely makes it appear younger just by giving it those qualities.

CONS: Not many. Packaging -- almost annoying (but not quite) to have to scoop out the cream with a plastic paddle vs. more hygienic tube.

Can't recommend this enough -- it feels light, doesn't grease up your face, it WORKS (softens/brightens/fades uneven skin/nukes acne and helps, but doesn't eliminate, blackheads), it's not pricey, easy to find online, etc. I use nothing else (no special cleaning/moisturizing, etc.). One jar lasts me about 3 months. I use it about 4x per week.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 8:51:00 PM More reviews by djr3322

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin went through a through cleansing/purging the fist week of using this product. For me this meant a multitude of small white bumps accompanied by several cysts in the forehead region. Though despite the hellish purging of my problem skin I could notice the tone of my skin to be greatly improved, it was smoother and more radiant. I saw great results with this product that I thought were not possible having used many other things that were ineffective.

Also, i experienced a lot of stinging and burning in the beginning, enough to make me wonder.. my skin in not sensitive at all either and the irritation was hard to take. Three weeks later though that all subsided and I'm left with skin on its way to perfection.

Glycolic acid is a wonderful ingredient for skin. It is strong, efficiently effective, and I'm left with the timeless assurance that "Powerful demons require a powerful exorcism".

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just got this, and I intend to update once I get further into the jar. Wanted to review on initial feelings.

-My skin is in the worst shape it has ever been. I have extremely acne-prone skin. It is very dry. It is also oily, patchy, uneven, and in the past 2 years I have had problem with hyper-pigmentation (which I had never had before in my life, even with moderate/severe acne in high school). Did not want to go to a derm and be put on drugs just yet, so I have been trying everything under the sun, without many results. The thing that had been sort of keeping my acne at bay has been Apple Cider Vinegar, but it is very harsh to the skin and has only been effective in treating the acne, not so much preventing it. So, after reading that AHA might help, I'm giving it a try.

So far, I have only experienced relief. It doesn't sting or irritate my skin when I put it on (it tingles a bit for about 30 seconds), and I have only been using a teeny tiny bit. It seems to cover really well and easily, and I want to make sure I don't have an adverse reaction. I will slowly add more as I progress. I have noticed some small bumps, but rather than pores getting congested, irritated, and infected, it looks as if deep clogs are surfacing. There is no pain associated with these bumps, so I'm hopeful that my skin is just now able to push out gunk that has been there for ages. I will be impressed if that is the case, because my pores are major-league congested.

It is a very calming way to exfoliate, so I hope it works. I cannot do physical exfoliation, as I break out like crazy. Will update soon.

EDIT - Day 4: Holy cow, this stuff is awesome! I have seen a reduction in zits (not a huge one, but definitely noticeable!) and a HUGE difference in skin texture! I am seriously hoping it only gets better from here. After only a few days, my face is looking less red and blotchy, wayyy smoother, and my pores feel... less clogged. It's hard to describe. I have been getting the occasional bump, that when touched slightly, will ooze a bit of waxy sebum. Nothing inflamed. Purging perhaps? Otherwise, some of the active acne lesions on my face are still there, and have been somewhat irritated. I am excited for them to heal so that I can finally see what my face looks like clearer. I have increased the amount I put on, and have noticed a mild stinging.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by shafna

I am not very sure how much i like this product, but i do apply is religiously every night.
I actually get it shipped to the middle east cos we dont get it here and its not cheap with the shipping costs.
This is like a regular cream. I had inititally use the 10%lotion and then moved up to this. I usually wash my face at night and then apply this.
I dont recommend this in the mornings unless u want to really get tanned.
If i have small cuts on my face (pimple, etc) or very dry skin, then its burns.. but just for a second or two.
the only reason i think this is working is cos i am 31, and i was travelling earlier this year and people thought i was younger, more like 26 or so. I have two small babies, and lack of sleep and yet if ppl think that, its a good thing no?
Anyways, next update in 5 yrs :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by birdybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for several weeks now. During the first week or so, I did have some very minor breakouts - just a few whiteheads here and there. After the first week my skin fully cleared up and is looking the best it has in a while. I can't say that I see a dramatic difference but I do feel like the texture and tone of my skin has improved. I will continue to use this.

I apply this at night after I've cleansed my face. After the AHA has soaked into my skin, I apply a nighttime moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by adipose

~3.5 stars
Toward the end of last semester, my skin was not in a very good condition. I read a lot of positive reviews about this product and it seemed like it would do everything I needed: fade acne scars, brighten complexion, correct uneven skin tone, improve texture, etc. I've been using this product for almost 2 months, so long enough for it to have an effect. I have noticed some subtle changes in my skin but it did not really do what I hoped for. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give it a good rating largely for one reason---it's gotten rid of all my acne.
Before I started using it, I think had mild to moderate acne, nothing too problematic: 1-2 pimples per week that disappeared relatively quickly, but I often got cysts during my period that took longer to heal and usually left scars that last forever. After I started using this product, (after the initial 'purging'), though, I've hardly gotten any acne---definitely no cystic acne.
Also, I think it has brightened my skin somewhat. My skin looks a bit paler and not as dull, but it's not a dramatic change.
On the other hand, I bought the product primarily to fade my acne scars and even out my skin tone. (I have some discoloration around my lips, a bit of hyperpigmentation from acne scars and pitted scars). Unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvements in these areas in spite of 8 weeks' worth of conscientious daily application. Oddly enough, though, I have this sort of shallow scar on my forehead from early childhood (apparently due a cat scratch), and it seems to be getting less noticeable. Of course, this might just be wishful thinking.

To offer my own experience on some of the things other reviewers have commented on:
-I have a slightly oily t-zone so the product felt a bit heavy upon initial application, but it absorbed pretty quickly for me and my skin is no oilier than usual.
-I never experienced any stinging, but I don't have sensitive skin.
-Purging: I didn't notice much change at first. I was expecting my skin to purge, but nothing happened for the first week. I tried using more product, and for the subsequent two weeks or so, I started getting more whiteheads, often in places where I don't normally get any acne (cheeks, chin). After that, they disappeared, and no change (for the worse).

tl;dr summary
Pros:
1) completely acne free! :D
2) brightens skin
3) no adverse reactions (purging/stinging/hypersensitivity/etc.)
Cons:
1) did not [noticeably] fade acne scars or pitted acne scars
2) did not [noticeably] correct discoloration
3) no change in skin texture/evenness
4) kind of expensive? (I am a cheap person...)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by hibzy

I can never never thank enough AHA Souffle 12%. This is the product which freed me years of matured acne. I used to have major acne problems then i read reviews of this product on drugstore.com and decided to give it a go. in the past i had used so many products which didn't work at all even my dermatologist couldn't do anything it was that bad. it's the best product out there for people who have acne/pimple problem. When i started to use this it did sting me a little but it went away after few days. In first few weeks it's going to break you out like crazy but don't get scared as it means that it's working. it's gonna bring everything to surface first and then start cleaning it. For me, it not just cleared my acne but after regular use i don't have acne anymore. i used it for 2-3 years constantly and it solved my acne problem. now i have stopped using it and still don't get any acne after months. I love this product with all my heart. I did what expensive products couldn't do for me! I love it!

Just want to add one thing that it cleared out my acne in few months i just used it for years because i loved it and my made my skin to glow.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by emkenn

This is a great exfoliant. It does sting and it can cause a chemical burn (I can't put it on parts of my neck, it causes a burn that looks and feels like a sunburn). But this stuff really makes your skin smooth and glowy after use. I may try a different product in the line to avoid the burning.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by ef604

I have been using the 10% lotion for a while and absolutely love it. I decided to try the souffle to see if I can get an even better result since the percentage of AHA is higher. I am sad to report that I do not like it as much. And the worst part is that I think it is breaking me out!!! Not cool. At first I thought it was something else, but every single time I would use this, I would wake up with a few pimples on my face. This does not happen with the 10% lotion. Will not be buying again.