Thierry Mugler Alien

3.7

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Alien is such a gorgeous smell. So unique and sensual, slightly ethereal and very alienesque. I ran out of my first bottle and am excited to purchase another. The purple and gold bottle is also beautiful, sort of exotic or medieval looking, and very much stands out.

on 11/23/2013 9:52:00 PM

to me the grape stands out. very nice and balanced, but it seems it reminds me of something else at this point, mostly like Poison, which I know is stronger

on 11/4/2013 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have both EDP and EDT - this review is for the EDP.

Alien's notes, per parfumo.net: Jasmine sambac, Cashmere wood, Ambergris

Jasmine, wood, and amber. Jasmine can be a very bold white floral, and in Alien's case, I think it is. I have one word for Alien -- "harsh". It comes on strong, bold, scratchy, and rough to me, almost medicinal. Perfumey and aggressive. Even at drydown, the notes just don't ever meld together into a smooth, unified, cohesive, pretty scent.

May I add "grape" to that note list? Somehow it comes off "grapey" to me as well -- like a dark, scratchy, fermented, woody wine -- but I don't know where that grape feel comes from, since it's not in the note list. Alien also dries down a bit dusty/musty to me.

To my nose, Alien is in the same category as Poison and Guerlain Insolence -- deep purple grape mixed with dark woody mustiness. Mysterious & sexy? Maybe, but they're all heavy hitters. Alien, with that jasmine note, needs to be used carefully in order not to offend and overwhelm -- or give people headaches!

I bought my Alien EDP (gift set) on a cold, dark, overcast November day, and it was perfect for that weather and time of year, in my humble opinion. EDT is definitely lighter and may be preferable for many.

on 10/31/2013 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My signature scent. Not much else to say! I wear it every day and I also own Alien EDT and the Alien Essence Absolue. I'm definitely a fan of warmer, sexy scents and all of the Alien fragrances happen to work very well with my skin's chemistry. I get compliments from both women AND men on this fragrance and tbh, it's usually men. Not a bad thing!

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Im not a perfume wearing type of girl. I initially smelled this in a magazine sample and loved it. It smelled so wonderfully good, unique, and captivating...in the magazine.

I bought it for Christmas and the bottle is still nearly full almost 2 years later. Im so glad I didnt allow my husband to talk me into buying the whole set.

About the smell...I can't put my finger on it and this will be interesting coming from a person who knows no flowers or plants etc...but if I were to tell you what it smells like, the closest thing I can associate it with is floral roach spray. There, I said it. Thats exactly what it smells like. Its a keen, overpowering, looooonglasting fragrance. I asked my husband to smell it and he withdrew from my neck and made an ugly face from the offensiveness of it. He was surprised it was the same perfume he had tried to pressure me into buying the bigger package of.

This doesnt smell good on me at all folks. You better take this on a test run before you commit to buy. I wish I had.

on 10/15/2013 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Good lord. This fragrance is so one-note. I got a sample of it thinking I'd love it (I love Michael Kors and reviewers often draw parallels between that frag and this one) but oh god, no. It screams at you like a bad 80's hair metal song. It's not a definite scrubber but I couldn't wait for it to dry down and fade a bit. I liked the one note I could pick out but it smelled incredibly synthetic. I much prefer Angel to this but even then, I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on it. The only upside? It's not boring!

on 10/6/2013 3:46:00 PM

This is my go to winter fragrance, with angel being my summer one. I love the strong, complex and sophisticated scent this gives. I've tried many other fragrances, however I always seem to go back to this, love the way it lightly lingers for hours and hours after a few sprays! Even though it is expensive, it to me, is still worth it as there is no other scent like it. I have purchased this many times, and will continue to purchase in the future.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Ewwww!!! This perfume is terrible, smelt like plastic powder and a granny. Stay miles away from it!! Thank God i didn't pay for it.

on 7/22/2013 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

Thierry Mugler ALIEN. EDT (2005, Nose: Dominique Ropion and Laurent Bruyere). Citrus/White Multifloral. The image is of a sundappled late-spring profusion of white flowers, with sambac jasmine, a slightly grape-y neroli, tart honeysuckle, and possibly tuberose, peach blossom and narcissus. Subtle green notes smell sharply like the broken stems of paperwhites. The head is a brilliant, sunshiny gleam of orange, lemon and lime, transparent and almost sherbet-sweet, but not quite. So shiny is this scent, that it is almost metallic... accounting no doubt for the perfume's title. In the EDT at least, the basenotes (wood, amber, cashmeran) are hardly perceptible-- and exist only in far drydown as a sandy/powdery mirage: ALIEN is not about hidden roiling depths at all, but rather meant to be a top-heavy, brilliant upthrust of gleaming springtime. I imagine all the components of ALIEN are synthetic, yet they are so well-combined that they give an impression of a sharp-focused, high-res naturalness. Never cloying or cutesy or cosmetic/soapy, ALIEN is an eye-popping, sanguinely optimist's bouquet of natural white floralcy.

on 7/20/2013 11:53:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got samples of it and it definitely isn't my fragrance.

I'm a not a floral scents person, for some reason they make my head hurt and don't blend well with my chemistry. This fragrance has strong jasmine in it, there's musk and amber but the fragrance still comes off as a very deep floral. Because of this, I can't imagine anyone wearing this during the daytime but it can be a good option for a night out.

I kind of feel it's unfair to review fragrances, since it's such a personal choice, but if anyone is like me and dislikes florals, I'd advice you to certainly try it first. If you're looking for a fragrance to go out at night, something that it's very deep and floral, you might like it.

Popular Fragrances