September 30, 2014 | 1153 users online

Hair Color - Herbaceuticals Inc. - Naturcolor - all shades

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by poesha

I'm 40 with really thick, coarse curly black hair and patches of gray. I've been using this brand for about 8 months and really like it. It does fade faster than the industrial strength really toxic hair colors that make your eyes sting but I don't mind, the trade off of fading faster is that it doesn't feel like it's ripping out your skin.
I used one box for the first application and now I can use half of the bottles for the roots so it comes to about $7 to color the roots. You can also mix the colors if you want to get creative. Yes, it is safe to store an opened bottle of both the color and the developer unlike commercial brand colors that can explode. Just don't store them once it's been mixed together.

I've used Licorice and Poppy Seed. I have no idea what the colors are like for light hair but for my pitch black hair it does a really good job. Follow the directions and apply it to CLEAN dry hair and don't use a harsh shampoo or one with lots of oils and animal proteins.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2008 2:23:00 PM More reviews by chuugle

I tried this product twice. Once in 2N and then again in 3N. I bought it mainly to cover up my roots from a highlight job. The product is easy to apply and I love that there is no dye smell. The color comes out great immediately after dying it. Unfortunately, the color fades extremely quickly. I had to redye my hair the first time after 3 weeks b/c the color faded and my roots started showing. I went with a darker color and dyed it again. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks I am starting to see my roots peek through again b/c the color has faded. The 2nd time around, it left my hair noticeably dryer as well. I gave it a second chance, but the lasting power just isn't there. I've never had this problem before in the past with other brands. So I will not be using this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by moonstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had been wondering about this product for a while, and despite the fact that there wasn't too much information on the boards on the quality of their red colors in particular, I left my curiosity on the shelf.

A couple of weeks ago, in a sudden burst of adventurousness (and due to the fact that my roots were clearly starting to show) I decided to venture to my local health food establishment and see what shades were available in the naturcolor line. Despite the fact that it doesn't occur too frequently naturally, blue-based reds work best with my fair skin tone, so that's what I decided to go for.

There aren't reams and reams of shades to choose from, but since my dark blonde hair catches any red with the mention of 'blonde' in the name, I decided to go for 7M (Cinammon Blonde in the 'Mahogany' series). This wasn't what I would have initially chosen based on their website color swatches, so on the odd chance that you're ordering this online, buyer beware, the online swatches vary from the ones in person quite significantly.

The price of this color is quite a bit more than what I'm used to paying, despite the fact that I use professional color. I figured that if it saved me the burning/tingling scalp that I experience every time I color (sensitive skin, scalp in particular, SD-plagued for most of my life. Boo.) and even if it faded a bit more quickly than usual, it would be completely worth it. Not subjecting my poor overprocessed hair to any more ammonia would be a plus too.

I've dyed my hair so long that I'm not exactly sure my grey percentage. I'd say a conservative estimate would be 5%. For grey coverage, the package insert indicates that one must use some 'N' shade variation (or mix an N shade with any other color family). I missed that part when reading the reviews, so I was a bit worried that grey coverage would be minimal. As a matter of fact, I was worried that this would be a replay of my Natural Instincts color experience (a good product in and of itself, however, I ceased using it due to lack of root coverage, and a weird darkish cast on my ends).

Packaging is presumably recycled paper, nothing particularly noteworthy. Color is mixed much like any conventional D/S variation. Also includes what I can only assume is some type of shampoo/cleansing concoction along with conditioner to use after rinsing.

Something worth mentioning is the fact that this is a gel-based color. The consistency is almost like a runny pudding, if that makes sense. Instead of mixing in a bottle and applying by squeeze dispersal, I mixed everything in a plastic bowl and applied as I usually do, with a brush. I found that despite the different consistency, it applied just as effectively as any cream formula.

I was also immediately struck by the fact that the scent of this product wasn't overwhelming and eye-watering like other dye. It's not a fantastic scent, but it doesn't bother me. (It was nice to not have to ventilate the space I was in, due to restricted breathing!)

I left the color on my roots for 30 minutes, applied the remainder for the last 10-15, avoiding my ends (since my ends are quite fried, I avoid coloring my ends altogether). Color development was the same as any other, turning purple on my hair as it developed. When I rinsed after 45 + minutes, I immediately noted how AMAZING my hair felt. It didn't feel as if I had colored my hair, it felt like conditioner, rendering my hair silky and smooth.

I used the teensy bottle of shampoo that was provided, noting (a bit too late) that the consistency of it was exactly like water, so I mistakenly lost half of it down the drain. It's cleansing properties were negligable anyhow; didn't provide any lather. The conditioner was nice enough, but the teensy bottle didn't saturate my hair at all, necessitating the addition of my own stash to my wet locks.

This color was the most believable, yet rich red that I've ever used. It wasn't that much different shade-wise than my original permanent color. I waited over a week to report any noteworthy fading patterns, and I'm happy to report that it's comparable to any other permanent that I've tried.

I'm very excited about continuing the use of this; I have a feeling my hair (and body) will thank me. I can't recommend it enough, especially to my fellow red-haired friends!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by sakecat22

Used the Naturcolor in 5G - Light Golden Brown. Haven't dyed my hair in 5-6 years. Was getting bored, my hair was starting to look a bit dull, and I had some grays that I wanted to mask. Even before the conditioner, the hair turned out soft. Even better after the final step. Great color. Smells like Pastis. Cleans easily. More expensive than the standard drugstore hair color, but worth it. And still cheaper than professional.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2008 11:56:00 PM More reviews by carolamay

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to get very expensive Highlites done .
And i also used Natural Instincts for a year. A friend suggested
Naturcolor , so i gave it a try.
Using the 10 N Chamomile Blonde on my ashy dark blond hair. It turned a beautiful golden lite blond, i will never spend $$$$ on toxic salon color that hurts my scalp.
In the future i also want to try darker blondes like 8 N.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use to highlight my hair constantly and that damaged my hair like you wouldn't believe. My hair felt like hay and I had to use heat styling just to even step outside the house because my hair would air dry unattractively from so much damage. Then I switched to regular at-home box dye but I wanted to take it a step further. I wanted chemical free, virgin like hair but I couldn't live without adding some color to my hair. I stopped dying my hair with chemicals and started using the Naturcolor from Whole Foods. I disagree with some of the reviewers here, It does lighten your hair somewhat but of course not drastically. And if your hair is really dark and you try to go too light, it does tend to turn a lil orangey but if you don't go overboard you should be fine and have a nice color. My suggestion is go one shade lighter than the one you actually want. I have black hair and I've used Sagebrush Brown, the shade I wanted but it turned out darker than what I wanted. Next I tried Dark Caraway Blonde because I actually wanted to be Light Twinberry Chestnut, which is a nice ash medium brown. That shade seems to be pretty good.
I love how healthy my hair feels now that I started using this. And the best part is it doesn't have the strong chemical smell. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2008 9:01:00 AM More reviews by MaeBoscana

I've dyed my hair many many colors and have used many many brands. I bought this brand on a whim, when I was trying to use a little less chemical in my life. I had low expectations, but it is amazing! The color (I use the very dark brown, the second to darkest shade) looks SO natural. My hair is naturally fairly dark, but with a flat/greyish/ashy tone, most brands - I'm looking at YOU, feria- dark brown is either a weird deep burgundy or a bluish black. This is the real deal, a rich, deep espresso color- and it lasts forever. I dyed my hair about 10 weeks ago, and it still looks rich and shiny. Good smell, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by ptobey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use Naturcolor to cover my gray and it really works. I have very dark brown hair, with an ashy cast, along with the creeping gray. Since the N series is recommended to use with gray, I use the 3N Cola and mix it with 4C Twinberry Chestnut and it covers the gray well. The gray strands come out a lovely light brown so that my hair looks like I had it highlighted in the salon. I find that if I touch up my hairline, part and front sides every 4 weeks, the gray never becomes very apparent. It's gentle enough to use this often, though I don't use it on my whole head but every two months. I love being able to just mix the amount I need each time, and having some left, so that I don't have to buy it but three or four times a year. (I have chin length short hair) And it leaves my hair shiny and healthy, doesn't hurt my scalp or face (other than inadvertantly dying it) and doesn't smell like the awful chemical colorants I used to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by angelmae78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For the past few years, I've been going to a salon to get all over hair color. To save a little money, I decided to try coloring my hair myself, using Naturcolor. I'd helped a girlfriend color her hair using this brand before and had liked the results, and also liked that compared to other brands, it's quite gentle. I bought two shades and mixed them (Cola - 3N, a deep neutral brown and Clove Chestnut 4D, a golden brown). The results are as good, if not better than salon results! My hair is shiny and the color is just right. I've gotten numerous compliments on the color, even more than one month after coloring it. The price is quite reasonable - $16/box. I find the formula easy to apply and easy to clean up (I apply a little vaselline along my hairline beforehand).

Naturcolor's customer service is also unbelievably great. I called the 1-800 number on a Sunday night. I wanted to color my hair, but had lost the instruction sheet. When someone picked up the phone, it sounded as though I'd reached a personal residence. It turns out to be Naturcolor's owner. She not only answered my questions, but also asked which colors I was using and gave me some tips and wished me the best. I was extremely impressed by her courteousness and care. I will definitely be repurchasing this and raving about it to friends!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2008 5:44:00 AM More reviews by loolee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow, I'm pretty impressed. I used Yarrow blonde (a neutral) on my extremely short (boy short!), virgin (only cos I hacked the dyed portion off and it was down to my shoulders!) cigarette ash color with 80 percent grey at the temples. It was the best hair color experience ever in that it had no smell other than herbal. When I washed the stuff out after leaving it in for the 45 min. it recommends for resistant grey, my hair felt squeaky clean but not dry. I really liked the conditioner that came with it, but then I have a preference for thick, butter-like consistencies. Afterward, I was left with a subtle, oh so natural, beautiful, healthy honeyed brown on the previously cigarette ash color. On the grey parts, it appears as various shades of highlighted gold and caramel strands. You know, this is just what I was looking for. I've been trying to embrace the grey, and I've only been ~hating~ it. With this on my hair, it's like me, only better. Seriously, I don't think people will even realize I've colored, it looks that natural. I have a feeling there won't be a serious demarcation line of roots, either. On the other hand, it looks like I'm allowing myself to age gracefully. Please do give it a try! I'm very happy I did. I let this sit on my shelf for probably a year and a half before trying it. It's the only hair color I'll be using on my hair fron now on.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No