Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake 3-in-1

2.9

water (aqua), tea-lauryl sulfate, ppg-2 hydroxyethyl cocamide, cocamidopropyl betaine, glycol stearate, glycerin, sodium chloride, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, fragrance (parfum), peg-150 distearate, tocopheryl acetate, polyquaternium-7, glyceryl acrylate/acrylic acid copolymer, propylene glycol, sodium benzotriazolyl butylphenol sulfonate, buteth-3, tributyl citrate, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, yellow 5 (ci 19140), red 40 (ci 16035).

on 12/3/2011 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this from Sephora as a birthday gift. It's a generous size and I like the smell, but the pearlescent color suggests a very chemically based product. I don't have a puff to use but it still lathers pretty well. I'm on a strict budget so I can definitely appreciate this free treat and since I haven't had any skin reaction to it, I will finish the bottle. The only reason why I wont repurchase is because I don't normally use body wash anyways (nor will I use it as a shampoo because I've heard it's drying and I rarely have the leisure time to take bubble baths).

on 12/2/2011 11:06:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Like many others, I received a bottle of this product through the Sephora Beauty Insider program for my birthday. This is my first 3-in-1, and to be honest I was skeptical that it could be used as a shower gel, bubble bath, AND shampoo. However, I find that this product makes a decent shampoo, although I definitely need to follow up with a conditioner afterwards. As a shower gel, it's just okay, and I don't take bubble baths so I can't comment on its performance in that regard. But overall, I'm pleased with the scent, which is vanilla-y but not cloyingly so, nor is it overwhelmingly strong (actually, I wish the scent would linger a little longer because it seems like it only lasts a few minutes). It was fun to try and I'll use this up but I probably won't rebuy when I run out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got a small bottle of this as part of the philosophy birthday girl set (which comes with a matching lip shine in the cutest packaging you ever saw). I have to say, it's a really nice treat. It smells delish, like, well, vanilla birthday cake. To be specific, it smells like a yummy vanilla layer cake with lots of vanilla buttercream frosting. This stuff has a delightful texture--very creamy and moisturizing. I don't know if I would buy this again because shower gel goes fast chez moi, which means I tend to go with cheapie products, but I would love to receive it again as a gift and I would certainly consider giving it as a gift.

on 11/29/2011 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I also got this as a free birthday gift from Sephora this year. I am not a fan of vanilla actually. I am more of a chocolate girl ever since I was little. The smell can be a little plastic but it does not really bother me as it is not that strong and fade away rather quickly.

I tried it once as a body wash. Without a bath puff, it does not lather well. It left my skin neither soft or hydrated. I think my St. Ives body wash does a better job. Then, I try to use this as a shampoo but no, this dries out my hair a lot. I already have pretty damaged hair due to repeat heat styling. The moment I put this on my hair and start to message, my roots start to all tangled up. I have to really deep conditions my hair to revise its effect.

I would never pay the full price for it and this leaves me with no interest to try any other 3-in-1 products from Philosophy ever.

on 11/14/2011 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I got this from Sephora as my birthday gift. To me it does a pleasant vanilla smell, which I do like but I wish a was just slightly stronger. I love the actual body wash itself, as I use them on a regular basis. I'm just not quite sure I'd pay full price for this particular scent. If the scent was stronger it would be a hit for me.

on 10/28/2011 6:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Like most others, I got this as a "birthday gift" from Sephora so the price would be "dirt cheap", as in "free". It's actually a really nice body wash - it lathers nicely and is gentle and non-drying, even now, as the colder weather is approaching (this is when I turn into a dry-skinned, itchy creature). But the scent is SO NOT like birthday cake batter and is really not something I find to be pleasant. It's not awful but it's not great and fortunately, it's not overpowering either. So while I'd repurchase Philosophy bath and shower gel, I'd go for a different fragrance entirely! Still, don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth and as a free birthday bonus, this is a nice product and a decent sized bottle!

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

i actually like this...sure the smell isnt strong and it fades quickly but i use body sprays after i shower anyway...i felt clean and i love how it foams...i also washed my hair with it and it was soft and shiny afterwards...i wouldnt persay purchase it as i swapped for mine but i would swap for it again

on 10/19/2011 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was a free birthday gift with purchase for me as well, and I have to say, I would never pay full price for this product in this particular scent. The smell isn't necessarily plastic-y (I was actually expecting a true vanilla bean buttercream scent, coming from Philosophy, but no), although it does have that artificial-ness that i can't quite put my finger on. Maybe imitation vanilla? I do like that its not cloyingly sweet though. The reason I'm giving it a mid-rating is because I've tried a couple vanilla scents from Bath & Body Works that smelled WAYYYY better than this. As a body wash, I do feel rather squeaky clean after using it, but the smell fades after two minutes. That's ok with me, because I'm almost twenty, and just don't feel like walking around smelling like a sweets shop, like I used to in my preteens lol. I even tried it as a bubble bath, and it did nothing. The stuff just sank to the bottom of my bathtub without so much as one little fizzing bubble. Fail. But overall I think it's just average. This won't deter me from trying out a couple other Philosophy 3-in-1's, because it is good as a lathering body wash, and for the whopping amount of product that you get (16 oz for $16), I don't know what you all think, but I think it's at a pretty good price, myself. I put the price point at 3/5.
Oh, and I will never...EVER.... use this as a shampoo. I don't know why this product even claims it can be a shampoo. I think I'm the only person who is weird and picky about what they put in their hair, and when my hair dries right after I wash it, it's dry as a bone, but then it gains back its natural oils within a day. That's why I have to keep switching shampoos. If I use this as a shampoo, I'm almost certain my hair will NOT feel clean, and all the chemicals in this product will completely strip my hair of its natural oils. My hair is also color treated, and I think people with color-treated hair should stay away from using this as a shampoo altogether.

on 10/18/2011 11:05:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got the free 6oz. birthday gift from Sephora. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it doesn't smell like birthday cake, or even a really true vanilla (at least to my nose!). However, it doesn't smell terrible. I actually used it on my hair and it worked just fine (I have naturally curly hair). As far as my skin is concerned it's a little drying. Not bad for a free product but I wouldn't pay for it.

on 10/15/2011 12:13:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the scent (this is coming from a vanilla-hater). In fact, I was somewhat dreading using this because of the scent description but I feel I shouldn't waste things even if it was free for my birthday from Sephora (6 oz). Anyway, the scent is very mildly food-y, not offensive at all. Totally tolerable, so yay.

The formula though seems to leave my skin sticky (after alot of rinsing) yet squeaky? It's hard to explain. I try to use shower creams instead since I thought all shower gels were pretty much the same in their drying effect, but this one somehow combines drying with stickiness. I was planning to buy Eternal Grace after I used up this sample since I like streamlining products (3-in-1) but this has given me pause.

Anyway, it was free, so ...