October 25, 2014 | 1881 users online

Gels/Soaps - Philosophy - Vanilla Birthday Cake 3-in-1

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by Melavia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I also got this as a free birthday gift from Sephora this year. I am not a fan of vanilla actually. I am more of a chocolate girl ever since I was little. The smell can be a little plastic but it does not really bother me as it is not that strong and fade away rather quickly.

I tried it once as a body wash. Without a bath puff, it does not lather well. It left my skin neither soft or hydrated. I think my St. Ives body wash does a better job. Then, I try to use this as a shampoo but no, this dries out my hair a lot. I already have pretty damaged hair due to repeat heat styling. The moment I put this on my hair and start to message, my roots start to all tangled up. I have to really deep conditions my hair to revise its effect.

I would never pay the full price for it and this leaves me with no interest to try any other 3-in-1 products from Philosophy ever.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by MsSexyDivine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this from Sephora as my birthday gift. To me it does a pleasant vanilla smell, which I do like but I wish a was just slightly stronger. I love the actual body wash itself, as I use them on a regular basis. I'm just not quite sure I'd pay full price for this particular scent. If the scent was stronger it would be a hit for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2011 6:04:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like most others, I got this as a "birthday gift" from Sephora so the price would be "dirt cheap", as in "free". It's actually a really nice body wash - it lathers nicely and is gentle and non-drying, even now, as the colder weather is approaching (this is when I turn into a dry-skinned, itchy creature). But the scent is SO NOT like birthday cake batter and is really not something I find to be pleasant. It's not awful but it's not great and fortunately, it's not overpowering either. So while I'd repurchase Philosophy bath and shower gel, I'd go for a different fragrance entirely! Still, don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth and as a free birthday bonus, this is a nice product and a decent sized bottle!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by gwoopenberrycrunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i actually like this...sure the smell isnt strong and it fades quickly but i use body sprays after i shower anyway...i felt clean and i love how it foams...i also washed my hair with it and it was soft and shiny afterwards...i wouldnt persay purchase it as i swapped for mine but i would swap for it again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Cailee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This was a free birthday gift with purchase for me as well, and I have to say, I would never pay full price for this product in this particular scent. The smell isn't necessarily plastic-y (I was actually expecting a true vanilla bean buttercream scent, coming from Philosophy, but no), although it does have that artificial-ness that i can't quite put my finger on. Maybe imitation vanilla? I do like that its not cloyingly sweet though. The reason I'm giving it a mid-rating is because I've tried a couple vanilla scents from Bath & Body Works that smelled WAYYYY better than this. As a body wash, I do feel rather squeaky clean after using it, but the smell fades after two minutes. That's ok with me, because I'm almost twenty, and just don't feel like walking around smelling like a sweets shop, like I used to in my preteens lol. I even tried it as a bubble bath, and it did nothing. The stuff just sank to the bottom of my bathtub without so much as one little fizzing bubble. Fail. But overall I think it's just average. This won't deter me from trying out a couple other Philosophy 3-in-1's, because it is good as a lathering body wash, and for the whopping amount of product that you get (16 oz for $16), I don't know what you all think, but I think it's at a pretty good price, myself. I put the price point at 3/5.
Oh, and I will never...EVER.... use this as a shampoo. I don't know why this product even claims it can be a shampoo. I think I'm the only person who is weird and picky about what they put in their hair, and when my hair dries right after I wash it, it's dry as a bone, but then it gains back its natural oils within a day. That's why I have to keep switching shampoos. If I use this as a shampoo, I'm almost certain my hair will NOT feel clean, and all the chemicals in this product will completely strip my hair of its natural oils. My hair is also color treated, and I think people with color-treated hair should stay away from using this as a shampoo altogether.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by madmargeS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got the free 6oz. birthday gift from Sephora. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it doesn't smell like birthday cake, or even a really true vanilla (at least to my nose!). However, it doesn't smell terrible. I actually used it on my hair and it worked just fine (I have naturally curly hair). As far as my skin is concerned it's a little drying. Not bad for a free product but I wouldn't pay for it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Catttt

I was pleasantly surprised by the scent (this is coming from a vanilla-hater). In fact, I was somewhat dreading using this because of the scent description but I feel I shouldn't waste things even if it was free for my birthday from Sephora (6 oz). Anyway, the scent is very mildly food-y, not offensive at all. Totally tolerable, so yay.

The formula though seems to leave my skin sticky (after alot of rinsing) yet squeaky? It's hard to explain. I try to use shower creams instead since I thought all shower gels were pretty much the same in their drying effect, but this one somehow combines drying with stickiness. I was planning to buy Eternal Grace after I used up this sample since I like streamlining products (3-in-1) but this has given me pause.

Anyway, it was free, so ...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2011 11:20:00 PM More reviews by AndryaAndroid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like most here, I got this from Sephora for my birthday gift this year.
And like most here, I agree, the smell is very artificial and plastic-like! I've never tried any of Philosophy's other bath products, but with SO many neat-sounding scents, I was excited and thought I was in for a real treat of a scent experience. This smells like the cheapest artificial "vanilla" scent I can think of.
The texture is nice, it lathers well, and the bottle is cute and functional (and great size for taking on trips - which I just did), but that's about it. It doesn't leave my skin feeling dry, but not a lot of body washes DO these days. It's nice to use for shaving, but I really do wish the scent was...more luxurious, interesting, complex, and not so artificial and plasticy.
I still think it's a cute Sephora birthday gift, and I still use it, but unfortunately, this doesn't make me want to further explore Philosophy's line, and I would not purchase this.
(I have color-treated hair and did not care to venture to use this as a shampoo - I'm far too picky with my hair.)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2011 10:39:00 PM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells like plastic. Really sharp, artificial smell under the sad attempt at vanilla.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I also received this as the Sephora birthday gift. What an awful product. Everything about it sucks. Do not use this as shampoo. It smells like a chemical factory with a hint of rotting vanilla. Does not even make for a good bath gel. Overall, a totally ewwy product.