July 31, 2014 | 1961 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - MAC - Brush Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 11:21:00 AM More reviews by COCO792

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I previously used the Clinique brush cleanser and bought the MAC one because it is cheaper and there is more in the bottle.

I took out the Clinique pump spray and used it in the MAC one. but had to cut it down a bit as the Clinique bottle is taller.

like many reviews mention on here, the MAC cleanser is more for quick and frequent cleaning as opposed to a more deep and less frequent clean, which is my downside. because I clean my brushes every week or every other week. so quite a lot of product builds up.

I need less of the MAC cleanser than the Clinique to remove more product from brushes. but still the MAC cleanser doesn't get the brushes 100% makeup free. it doesn't do a deep enough clean. I have to clean my brushes, let them dry then clean them again to get last dregs of makeup out.

this also made my brushes softer, which isn't always what you want. for example firm, stiff brushes like goat hair and kabuki bronzing brushes.

so can anyone recommend a good deep cleaning brush cleanser?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 10:52:00 AM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this cleaner, especially for spot cleansing. Trouble is the bottle sucks, so I got myself a travel sized spray bottle and transferred it into there. This way I can spray directly onto the brush or onto tissue without wasting so much product - this is too expensive to waste! When using this I find that my brushes dry faster too, which is good for me as I wash my brushes just about after every use!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Tallywa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i like this for spot cleaning, mostly, because when i deep clean with it i have to use a lot or product, thus wasting it, also it just doesnt deep clean very well, afterwards it just doesn't feel as clean as it should. it makes my brushes smell pretty good tho, ill give it that

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by flgirl1904

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this brush cleaner for lightly cleaning my brushes after I use them but it is definately not a deep cleanser. I dont like how it is not a spray bottle but it doesnt bother me that much. It runs out quickly and its expensive because I go through it so much. Overall I like it and would recomend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2012 12:34:00 AM More reviews by THEqu33nb

I've been through at least 30 bottles of these over the past few years BUT the price really HURT my wallet!! SO i decided to find a cheaper alternative=99% alcohol.
which works just as good BUT is a bit harsh when dipped.. you can only spritz it.

this is gentle yet VERY effective. removed weeks of foundation and powder in a 10 second dip.

overall GREAT PRODUCT but costly overtime..
what i did was mix this with water so I would conserve the product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by sll74

this cleanser did not perform well for me. i transfer some brush cleanser into a spray bottle to quickly clean my eyeliner brush and other brushes with ease. i formerly used the japonesque brush cleanser but bought this one since i use so many mac eye products. it just didn't do a good job plain and simple. i can't even waste time using the bottle up. i'm going to see if my mother likes it, if not, i'm dumping it. i've already refilled my bottle with my trusty japonesque brush cleanser and i won't go astray on this one again. too bad this one didn't work well at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by pecantan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this brush cleanser is crap...for cream/liquid foundation brushes. it will not get the foundation off of your brushes so dont even waste your money on this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2012 3:12:00 AM More reviews by loveking

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm contemplating whether I should repurchase this or not when I run out or try Clinique's brush cleanser instead which is more expensive but it has better packaging. I don't like the opening because it doesn't disperse the amount I want. It doesn't remove all of the product out of my foundation brushes regardless of what I use to soak and rub the brushes on (e.g. tea towel, chux wipes, kitchen paper towels, tissues, cotton pad).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2012 7:35:00 PM More reviews by sandrathp

This is a decent cleanser. Nothing extraordinary. It is gentle on bristles so it gets 5 stars for being safe on even the natural most delicate bristles. But it does not perform so well depending on which product you are trying to get off your brush. It didn't get thick cream concealer off my synthetic concealer brush at all, but on the other hand got off my liquid to cream mineral foundation from my MAC 187 stipple (mix nylon and goat bristles) brush so very easily and extremely fast. I just sprayed a few times after moistining the bristles, left the product to work for 20 seconds then swirled it around the palm of my hand and rinsed. The brush is perfectly cleaned. I wouldn't buy it again since I prefer trying other brands but I would come back to this only if i don't find better. The most important quality in a brush cleanser is the alcohol-free factor. The Lise Watier is very harsh because it is packed mostly w/ alcohol and it can dry up and even ruin delicate bristles, so I stay away from it. MAC is decently priced, since the bottle lasts years. I replace the lid w/ a spray nozzle which is easy to find. The Lise Watier nozzle, for instance, fits perfectly. This helps to use a decent amount each time. I tried the original MAC nozzle but too much product came out which wasn't helpfu w/ the cleaning process. The advantage about the spray nozzle is w/ powder brushes and stipple brushes mostly b/c it sprays evenly the product in and out of the bristles. I hope MAC changes the cap on this product very soon or sells a spray nozzle that fits to make things easier!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by QR

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleaner does what it's supposed to do and leaves my makeup brushes looking brand new. I pour a little in my spare contact lense case and swirl my eyeshadow or eyeliner brush in it, then rinse the brushes with water. It does a good job removing all the makeup on the brushes (including the dried on, cakey gel eyeliner from mac) and doesnt leave any residue on the bristles. My brushes are over 5 years old and in still in great condition.