September 20, 2014 | 1785 users online

Pressed Powders - Tarte - Provocateur Mineral Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2008 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Reviewsonly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really love this powder. I was prepared not to, since the minute I bought it, I really regretted it because of the packaging. It's very hard to keep open, the mirror is really small, and it's so bulky it doesn't fit in my makeup bag. I figured I'd use it up and then never buy it again.

But then I wore it nearly all day yesterday (I just got it a few nights ago, so it's been primarily for touch ups), and I was absolutely shocked at how perfect and flawless my skin looked when I went to wash my face that night. Just perfect and glowing and silky. I'm a big fan of mineral makeup, and this was the first pressed mineral one I'd used, and it's just totally worth it.

I'm taking off one lippie for the packaging - if this powder wasn't so completely excellent, I'd honestly never buy it again because of the compact itself. I can only highly suggest to Tarte that they change the packaging to something more practical and less bulky, with a bigger mirror.

EDIT: I've reinstated the one lippie I took off way back when, because they have fixed the packaging - it's much less bulky, and much more sturdy now.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by kjo907

I love this powder! it is very nice and light weight and covers very nicely and i like using it without foundation or i use it with the 4 in 1 concealer and the smooth operator!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2008 4:13:00 PM More reviews by pixyjess115

I have had a lot of trouble looking for a good pressed powder that i can carry around with me. I normally use a powder foundation but on certain days i like to use my liquid foundation, so I wanted something lighter than my powder foundation to set it. I first tried MAC's mineralize skinfinish because it had good reviews here, but it was just so-so for me. Compared to the finish of my Dior powder foundation, the powder seemed of cheaper quality and was more drying on my face. I next tried lancome's photogenic pressed powder. The coverage on that was nice, but the talc in it also made my face dry out. I finally bought the tarte pressed powder and am really pleased with the results. I liked how the packaging is unique. I bought this in fair and I think powder is not drying at all, and does well in setting my makeup. It's definitely the perfect powder for touch ups. The coverage and finish are light and semi-matte. I would definitely recommend this for people who feel that talc is too drying for their face!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2008 7:25:00 PM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got this a month ago,looking for a powder that could set my liquid foundation,touch up my t-zone,or stand alone on weekends and hurry-up days. It does all three jobs well. I'm pale (.5 in Chanel, NW-20 MAC,maybe paler in winter), so I bought this in Fair. The shade is undetectable on my skin. I use a big powder brush for sheer coverage,and use the enclosed sponge for more. My skin is normal/dry,and if I don't moisturize well, I find that the powder can make me appear drier if I apply much at all.Very finely-milled,and smooth to the touch. Finish is matte, but not overly so. Most days I don't need to touch up,except a pat on the nose after about 5-6 hours.

As for the packaging, some will find the chunky purple pleather cute,but I find it cumbersome. The magnetic closure can be difficult to open with one hand, and,after only 6 weeks of use, the powder pan has begun falling out.

I may repurchase,but likely will also continue looking for my HG. I do recommend this for anyone looking to try a sheer,buildable multi-tasking powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2008 8:50:00 PM More reviews by jadedgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been searching for the ultimate lightweight mineral pressed powder and this is it! It is so silky and smooth on and it can have great coverage and/or minimal sheer coverage depending on how it is applied. I use a kabuki brush for nice light coverage.
The packaging is great and I love this line! It is not only a great product but is also great for the skin! DEFINITELY will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This powder is amazing! I use this over my Tarte Smooth Operator Foundation, and I use this in the lightest shade, Fair. It has a perfect neutral yellowish undertone and looks perfectly natural on my skin. It does not oxidize like some powders/foundations do, so after having it on for a few hours it looks the same as it did when I put it on, instead of looking orange and cakey. This gives a flawless natural matte finish and is pretty good at controlling my oily skin, I still use blotting sheets, but this stays in place and stays undisturbed! Usually mineral based powders are shiny, but this is a natural matte, no glittery effect. I love this and its definitely my HG powder! Not to mention the packaging is the cutest thing ever!

*** Update: I'm not changing the rating on this, because I do still think its a good powder... but I have found one that I love more! If you are looking for the best mineral powder out there, try the Aveda Inner Light Dual Powder Foundation. This stuff is beyond amazing. I still am a Tarte fan though too!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by ivone4eva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this pressed powder... It is soft and natural... Some brands out there is a little heavy for me... But this powder gave me the right amount of coverage without being cakey or looking fake...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by blueirisjazz

I bought this because I had read great reviews about it, and I definitely agree the hype. I love this powder. It's soft, smooth, light--feels great on your skin. It gives some coverage, but it in no way looks cakey. I feel like it stays in place well, and keeps shine at bay for hours. I use it daily, and I think it's may be the best powder I've tried. T.Leclerc's pressed powder is a very tough rival, but I think this one might be just a little bit better. I never thought I'd say that. I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2008 12:49:00 AM More reviews by lyssiebelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love tarte it really is a good powder that looks natural... i don't like the casing to much but it's okay... I'm going to try the liquid foundation and the concealer cuz when i went to sephora i tried it on and it looked great so we'll see.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by MDgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Tarte Provocateur Mineral Powder did nary a thing for me! Nada!! I wanted to find a pressed mineral powder that I could use in the morning as a foundation and carry along in my tiniest purses for touch ups. I thought that I found that in the Tarte powder and couldn't wait to take it home! No more attempting to carrying around little vials of powder around in my work tote! No more of anyone suspecting that I was carrying around a mini spice cabinet! (Is that cumin that she has w/her??)
In the morning I applied the powder but for some reason I couldn't get the coverage that I needed (so I thought). Throughout the day, I would touch up here and there but still wasn't happy w/how my face looked. Somehow, it seemed that powder had gotten darker and my face looked dull and flat. I even received comments from coworkers on my "not so healthy look". Once I arrived home, I noticed that I did indeed have enough powder on my face to dust a dough nut and that the color was just plain off. I likened this to the oxidation of the powder.
Although I detested this powder and got a refund, I will give it one lippie for the compact form and the SPF. C'est tout!