Redken Satinwear 02 ultimate blow-dry lotion

4.2

Water/Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyacrylamide, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Vinyl Caprolactam/VP/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Dimethiconol, Hydroxypropyl Guar, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-23, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Laureth-4, Methylparaben, Isopropyl Myristate, Laureth-7, Ethylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Xylose, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Oleth-10, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Disodium Cocamphodipropionate, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Lecithin, Phosphoric Acid, Polyquaternium-10 (D6260/5)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am not a Redken girl and I LOVE this product. I have been using it for years, from before cosmetology school to 3 years after. It is the perfect lotion for your hair to have it have a "base" , if you will, for your styling. Makes curling, straightening, back combing, braiding, crimping...EVERYTHING easier to do with a beautiful shiny outcome! I gave this a rating of three for price because I dont know what it is from a non-professional store.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am in LOOOOVE with this product! It makes my hair soooo soft and manageable. I have fine, wavy hair and this does not weigh my hair down. I use this pretty much everyday and I can even not blow dry my hair and it isn't crazy or out of control. This stuff really is awesome and I would totally recommend it. It doesn't make hair gummy or gross like other blow dry lotions that I've tried and I find I can actually go longer between washes when I use this! LOVE IT!

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I got a free 16.9 oz bottle from my aunt who does hair on the side, so maybe the fact that I didn't pay for it made me love it more.

Anywho, great for blowdrying natural/African American hair

Love this! Makes my hair shiny,soft and pin straight. Ontop its a heat protectant which is great! I use it on wet hair when I blowdry my hair. Then when my hair is dry I put a tiny bit and flat iron it. My hair stays straight and nice. Get the smaller size at Ulta for $4 and try it out.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I use to use Velvet whip by the all soft collection. I also use the Sham and Cond from the All soft collection.
So when i walked into Ulta and said they discontinued the velvet whip which made my hair silky sofffttt I wanted to shed a tear or 2. but i found this was probably the next thing i could use.
Well, It makes my hair soft...sure.. But not compared to velvet whip. Ill keep using this for now.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

For reference I have thick, wavy, medium/long length hair & only blow-dry my hair every other day. I am forgetful when it comes to spray-in hair protection, so I thought my hair needs at least some protection, After hearing many people rave over this product on blogs, YouTube, in magazines I thought, "why not give it a try", I don't think I have any less nor any more split-ends than before using this product, (not that it claims to help lessen split ends) at first the product made my hair feel super soft, now I feel like I'm just weighing down my hair with yet another product. I would re-buy this product in hopes that in the end it does help my hair, and for the fact that I'm forgetful with spray-in protection, and that is why I give it 4 out of 5.

I bought this (like some others) after hearing RAVE reviews from some beauty gurus on YouTube. I blow dry my hair every single day - and I have seen a ton of products out there for heat styling (curling/flat irons) and never thought to use something to protect my hair during a blow dry. Redken has been around for ages, combined with the rave reviews I'd heard/seen - I decided to go to ULTA and buy some of this stuff.

A little background, I have fine, long, highlighted hair (small highlights) and my hair is actually pretty soft normally - but I thought this could help with the heat styling. I don't use many hair products AT ALL - mostly because I don't like the feeling of "junk" in my hair - and I find they weigh my hair down, and sometimes cause my skin to break out.

I only used a small amount - about the size of a good dime - because I don't like a lot of product. First day, I finger-combed it through my damp hair - and then combed it with my wide-tooth comb before blow drying - and it did soften my hair - WHILE IT WAS STILL DAMP. The minute I put the blowdrier on it - it started to feel like STRAW. Very dry and crispy. Not hard-crispy like when you put hairspray on it - just really, really DRY. It was not making it soft at ALL. I then flat ironed my hair - and called it good. It didn't weigh my hair down - nor did it feel gunky, but I did NOT like the strong smell it gave my hair. You could also feel the product on your hands, if you touched your hair. I absolutely HATE that. It wasn't oily - just a sheen that you could feel on your hands and hair.

Second day, in the morning - I hit the treadmill to workout (I'm a distance runner) and I braided my hair loosely like normal. After I got off the treadmill - my hair was tangled so badly - like it was in DREADLOCKS. This was just from braiding it?!

I at first, assumed that it was from the flat-ironing I did the night before? So I took a shower - and then decided to try the Redken stuff a second day. I applied a dime-size to my damp hair - combed it through - just like the day before - and felt the same DRY and STRAW-LIKE feeling to my hair. I ended up curling my hair - and it did fine - but I could smell the Redken lotion ALL DAY.

The next morning, I hit the treadmill with my loose braid AGAIN - and had the WORST knots in my hair AGAIN. SO bad - that I could NOT get my braid to unbraid itself - and that NEVER happens - and this time - I did NOT use the flat-iron - so I knew that it had to be from the Redken Blowdry lotion.

I hadn't had dreadlike tangles in my hair from running until I used this 2 days in a row - and I will NOT be using it again. I couldn't even comb out the tangles in the shower - to be able to wash my hair with shampoo. I will not use this product again. I don't think it's a case of "not using enough product" because I could definitely feel that I had enough product in my hair - if could feel it on my hands. I also do not like that the smell totally took over my hair. It was literally all I could smell all day. Especially if you have long hair - every time I moved my head/hair, I could smell it.

Edit - 2016 - I have actually used this product since my review and used the entire bottle. Not sure if the tangle issue was from the water in the area I was using or what, but I've been able to use this product in my damp hair just fine, as long as I use a little which goes a long way. You can still smell it in your hair, but I find it's not as strong as some other products.

When i started using this, my hair started to look really healthy and less split ends and less ratty looking and less frizzy... it does leave my hair a little softer but not VEERY soft. I don't mind the smell, it;'s okay
I will rebuy if i have the cash

I have loved this product for about a year now, and this is my HG styling product. This remarkable lotion makes my hair soft as a baby's butt. Also, and this is something that is a real bonus to me, it makes my hair dry a lot quicker without being frizzy whilst drying. I will never stop using this. It has made a real difference; I haven't been to a hairdresser in nearly half a year, just because my ends aren't as damaged as they were when I didn't use this fabulous heat protectant. It may be a little more pricey than the average drugstore products, but for the amount and, most importantly, for the result it gives you, it really is well worth it. Shame the new packaging is now silver, and not red anymore. I liked the red one. It gave it some schwung. Ah well, as long as they don't change the product itself!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I just purchased this product today and couldn't WAIT to try it. And am I ever glad I did! My hair actually does feel like satin! it's so smooth after blow drying with this lotion. I had about every product one could own but I still didn't own a blow dry heat protectant, so when i saw this I just had to have it. I'll come back and edit this and tell everyone how long it lasts me!

Edit: Still loving this! I began to run out of the bottle at about the 6 month period mark, but this was when I was washing my hair every day & using it on other people, as I'm wanting to be a hairstylist and I LOVE doing other people's hair. I'd say it'd last even longer if you only wash your hair every other day. I use 1 pump for my relatively short hair.

Popular Styling Products