April 16, 2014 | 2079 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Rhythm21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was my roommate's signature scent and I loved it so much on her. Every time I went through an Hermes store, I would spritz it, thinking of her. It smells very different on me than it did on her. On her, I did not smell any sweetness or citrus, it was just ethereal yet addictive. On me, it smells like sweet clean baby skin, with a hint of tomato leaves. I think on both of us, it is amazing. At the duty free store, it was $74 for the 50ML (1.6oz) and $103 for the 100ML.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2010 1:00:00 PM More reviews by remychic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm usually not a fan of citrus scents but I wanted something light and fresh for spring so I decided to spluge on this based on the great reviews I have seen. I am not disappointed. It is fresh and light but still has a warm spicy dry down that I love. I have worn this scent every day for a week and I have gotten a compliment on how I smell every day. That has never happened with any other fragrance I own. I think this will be an even better scent come summer when it gets hot and humid. I bought the smaller size bottle but will definitely splurge on the large size when this bottle is done.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by marikah

I was serching for perfect spring/summer scent forever!! and finally found one.
I read so many good reviews about this and really wanted to try, but my local stores don't have this so had to gamble.
Without testing I ordered 3.3oz bottle. and am glad I did!!
I was worried about the top note because lots of people said it's too sharp and green and clear. I usually love sweet, heavy scent and hadn't used light, unsweet perfume for so long. Also not a fan of citrus type of scent.
But all my worries were gone once I sprayed.
I didn't find it sharp in any way. It even came out sweet. It's sweet and warm, yet very clean and light. and SO unique.
I'm tempted to buy Un Jardin En Mediterranee too since I like fig..now that I know UJsN smells wonderful, am not so worried to buy that one unsniffed too.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by neekun

This is my second bottle of UJSLN, the first was 50ml bottle where I finished it in six months. So this time I got myself a 100ml bottle :)

The scent is extremely fresh, bursting with green mangoes for the first 30 minutes. Then slowly the scent becomes a bit soft where for me its like the smell of green grass on a fresh cool morning. Overall the scent is very unique and it's totally addicted!

Talk about addiction, I discovered that Rich Damson burner oil from Marks & Spencer smells surprisingly similar to UJSLN. Now I am using that in my room where I can totally surrounded by the scent haha! But i guess Rich Damson is a limited edition where now I can't find it in the local Marks & Spencer store :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by picklemesoftly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow, this is one complicated perfume. It’s almost as if this fragrance has mood swings, I can’t quite put my finger on it. While usually this perfume smells fresh and vibrant, at times it does get heavy and a bit overwhelming. On "good" days, this fragrance is very lovely: fresh, with a soft touch of fruit and spice, a splash of citrus and a sprinkle of pepper. I love this perfume for its uniqueness, and the bottle is very lovely. Overall, a magnificent fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 11:53:00 AM More reviews by mhcg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Real Mango so fresh... summer
As I live in Brazil and the climate here is hot this fresh scent is adorable.
I always get complains from my work.
7/10 sillage.
7/10 power/duration.
I keep a 3.3 reserve bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Jonayla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

First time I pick up this product on airport in Paris. Okey, it`s expensive... But I absolutely love it! It`s fresh, but is not those citrus fresh scents what I hate. Even it including green grapefruit. It`s reminds me also fresh summer mornings, little bit shoot dew on the ground. I`m BIG fan scents with roses and this have also hint of that. This is the fragrance what I only travel with.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2009 9:55:00 AM More reviews by TallulahB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

In 2005, the New Yorker published a fascinating article about the creation of this perfume (http://www.chandlerburr.com/articles/chandlerdetail.htm), which was the main reason I spritzed it on at a Sephora a few months later. "Pretty," I thought, "but not really my thing." And yet I couldn't stop smelling my wrist, and thinking about it after it had faded away, and then returning over the weeks to try it again, until I finally realized that it was, in fact, EXACTLY my thing, that I'd simply never encountered my thing before. I'm on my 6th or 7th bottle now.

The dominant smell here is green mango--a ringer for graperfruit--but the sharpness of that is deepened by a touch of cedar and then softened and warmed by sycamore and incense. It's both green and citrusy, fresh rather than candied or cloying or childish. This is a grown-up citrus, with a hint of the exotic. For most people, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil will be a summer fragrance -- understandably so, as it's lovely and refreshing in sultry temps -- but it wears beautifully in cold weather, too.

As with most citrus fragrances, the sillage is wanting, though it's not as there-and-then-immediately-gone as, say, the Fresh perfumes. I spray it on the back of my neck at the base of my hairline, which helps it last a bit longer, but I still long for a small, touchup-size bottle. Hermes did sell 1-ounce bottles in the past, but those have been discontinued. And there's no way to decant into a smaller container, since the spray mechanism is soldered onto the bottle with no way to remove it short of breaking the glass. But that's a very minor annoyance.

Caveat emptor: Un Jardin Sur Le Nil is considered a unisex fragrance. I find it very feminine, but a friend who loved how it smelled on me was disappointed to discover that it turned masculine on her. It's always a good idea to try perfumes before buying them, but this one seems particularly prone to varying with individual chemistry. If it works with yours, though, you'll find it a truly beautiful, graceful fragrance, unlike anything else on the market.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2009 4:56:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Peppery green notes very like a garden, but less a flower garden and more a working garden, with herbs, tomato vines and strange gourds underfoot. Very lovely. A slight floral feeling creeps in as it dries down, but the overall green feeling stays. Great for spring.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 5:39:00 AM More reviews by bloom290

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Being rather averse to "green", citrusy scents, this fragrance came as quite a surprise. I discovered it by chance while on vacation and it has since taken a position among my numerous floral and oriental fragrances. Once applied, my initial sense is of lime or grapefruit and greenery--that is, a clearly discernable bite of citrus but an equally obvious adulteration of fresh, crisp herbage. It is what I imagine a cool, wet forest might smell like (without that pesky smell of soil, of course). It is suitable for both men and women and is not ostentatious or obtrusive; just perfect for occasions that require mingling with strangers. I find it to be a great perfume for colder days, when a crisp scent is not as expected as the ubiquitous musky florals and orientals. As for staying power, I can still smell it on my skin at the day's end.