July 25, 2014 | 1661 users online

Treatments (Face) - Philosophy - The Microdelivery Peel Pads

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Krylyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hunt for an exfoliator began because a MAC MUA told me I needed to start exfoliating (duh) rather than just moisturize. At the time, I had been using and loving Purity Made Simple, so I figured philosophy probably would not let me down. I visited the philosophy counter, told the SA (who happened to be the counter manager) "I need an exfoliator." She asked me "Well, how much time do you want to spend on exfoliating?" I must of looked at her strangly, because she started to explain the differences between philosophy's Microdelivery products -the pads (3 seconds), the wash (30 seconds), and the peel (3 minutes). I'm lazy, so I chose the pads.

Basically, for $35 you get 60 pads. These pads are soaked (literally in the beginning, but they tend to dry out after awhile) in something containing lactic acid (the exfoliant). These are gentle enough for everyday use (unlike the peel), and simply require dry skin. You sweep the pad over your face, down your neck, etc. She recommended that I not "scrub" with these, and I'd agree - sweeping was enough to get of the flakies for me and I had no irritation (my biggest problem). Yes, they feel like they are leaving a "film" on your skin, but in my case, once I put on my moisturizer the "film" was gone (routine: wash face, use peel pad, moisturize, eye cream), so it wasn't a big deal or a problem.

The best thing about these: I began using Peter Thomas Roth's AHA/BHA body polish/exfoliator daily in lieu of these pads (the reviews here are great for this product). A month later I found out I was pregnant. About two weeks after that, I had terrible chemical burns on my face - I mean, *nothing* could soothe my face, and every little thing stung like crazy. After some experimenting, I narrowed down the suspects to one: PTR (oh, and probably hormones, but I can't exactly control those right now, so Peter's in trouble). What did I use to exfoliate after I healed? These pads - again, zero irritation, great exfoliation, no problems with this product.

What do I use to exfoliate? These pads. Why? They work for me, have not caused breakouts/irritation, are not terribly priced (you can use both sides of these, to make the jar last 120 days, but they tend to dry out a bit after 3 months), and are easily obtained from numerous sources both local and online. What's not to love?

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2008 4:34:00 PM More reviews by kams64

While I love philosophy's microdelivery peel and wash, these peel pads are pretty awful. They leave my face sticky and don't seem to make any noticeable difference in my skin. Just an extra step and product I don't need.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by brandysmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Not terrible but not great either. I liked the ease of using a pad for exfoliation on lazy days when I didn't want to bother with scrubs or other water-requiring products, but I didn't see much difference in the surface of my skin, maybe some very subtle brightening or evening in texture. My jar dried out before I finished it because I didn't reach for these often. I'm in search of a better product at a better price.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2008 12:08:00 AM More reviews by ItsADewsy308

I absolutely hated this peel. It left my face so sticky, even after an hour or so, I had to wash my face just so my hair and pillow wouldn't stick to my face. I hate sticky and would probably been able to tolerate it if the peel actually delivered. I noticed no changes even after sufffering through half the jar of pads. After about thirty pads, I just stopped worrying with this and went back to my trust Avon peel pads. I get them off of Ebay so I never pay full price for them. The smell of the Philosophy peel was yucky too. Nope wouldn't buy again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by jakeandbear12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually love these alot. I buy the big ones and use them down my neck and chest then have some leftover for my hands and sometimes feet. They have antioxidants and lactic acid in them and are like a mini facial in a pad. Right now I am trying something new but these work great! I would highly recommend them. They do have a scent of lavendar in them. $55 for large jar at Sephora.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2008 10:53:00 AM More reviews by ruthsilver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently just purchased this product for my sensitive skin. Most scrubs and exfoliators I use tend to make my cheeks bright red and some even strip too much of my skin off. I have typically very dry cheeks (sometimes an oily forehead but can be quite dry as well).

A sales woman at Sephora suggested that perhaps the beads I was using was too strong and for me to try using a pad. I had tried MD Skincares line and that was awful on my skin. Not only did it burn (due to the ingredients) but my face was red, splothcy, and irritated for days to come!!!

I used this product for the first time this morning and I had no reaction. There was no burning sensation, no stripping of my sensitive, dry skin. Overall I'm not sure about long term results but right now I'm definitely keeping the product and may purchase again in the future.

ETA: After a week of using this product my skin has red bumps and repetitive use causes more irritated bumps, itchyness and dryness. Bringing my product back for a refund.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2008 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Dillydonna

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For some reason, I keep coming back to these pads. My skin cannot tolerate scrubs, and these exfoliate well. They do leave a film, but I like how they don't dry my skin out. I will continue using these until I find my HG.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2008 12:46:00 PM More reviews by beamercg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, I originally used this product with a biore acne was scrub and saw absolutely 0 results. Then I switched to Neutrogena's acne wash since it was recommended. Let's just say within 48 hours I had a nasty chemical burn on my face. Peeling, burning, dryness. Not fun. I'm now using this product on my chest since I paid $55 for the stupid, resultless item. Will not repurchase. (Neutrogena's been great by the way.)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 4:28:00 AM More reviews by Tishpeltier

Very easy to use. Product does work to improve skin texture without doing a full microdermabrasion or chemical peel. You do have to use it every day or at least every other day to get benefits.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 7:15:00 PM More reviews by addysmom

I use these daily on my face. After I use it on my face I use the pad on my elbows and knees. It does make a difference. I stopped using for a while and I noticed. They are pricey.