November 26, 2014 | 1896 users online

Lip Treatments - C.O. Bigelow - Rose Salve

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by sincle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a multi-functional salve. You can use it on your lips, elbows, knees, cuticles, face, any part of your body that is dry, really. I got mine for $5.50 at Bath and Body Works, which is expensive for a lip balm, but keep in mind that it's very versatile. C.O. Bigelow does not test on animals.
Personally, I use this on my lips and cuticles nightly. I slather it on my lips and then apply a thick layer of Vaseline before I go to sleep. It's not still on my lips when I wake up, but they feel nice and hydrated. I've never really had a problem with dry cuticles, but they do look a lot nicer since putting this on my cuticles. I also use it on my elbows when I remember.
The balm has a Vaseline-like texture, but it's actually hydrating, unlike Vaseline, which just locks in moisture. It smells kind of like synthetic flowers, but it's not a bad smell. It just takes a bit of getting used to.
Overall, I think this is a nice product. The only complaint I have is the packaging. It comes in a tin pot, which is unhygenic, but my problem with it is that originally lid just wouldn't stay on! I'd hold it up by the lid and the pot would just slide off. Then I dropped it a few times, dented it a bit, and now the lid has issues coming off. That I blame on myself, but if I hadn't dropped it the lid just wouldn't stay on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

I bought this lip treatment at Bath and Body works for around $5.50. I thought this was expensive for a lip balm but thought I would see what all the hype was. I had read reviews online about this before and people swore by this. I really liked the packaging and that was actually what sold me in the first place. I like that it is very compact and can easily fit into my purse or my jean pocket. I also liked the fact that I only used a small amount and it was enough to smear all of my lips. On the other hand I didn't care for the smell at all (it smelled like something my grandma would wear as a perfume) and it was somewhat greasy. After putting it on I needed a napkin to wipe my finger. All in all, it's preference for each person and it really depends on if you like a lip balm rather than a chap stick and rose fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by greengrapefruit

This is really the best lip balm ever!

It is a very thick balm with pretty shine and the most moisturizing abilities. I apply this every night and since I am forgetful during the day. This keeps my lips plump and smooth and get rid of dryness/flakes like nothing else.
I've tried other balms and they just don't moisturize as well.

Only thing is I didn't like smell at first but I am used to it after using it for many years. I have tried the strawberry version, and while it does smell better it is more waxy in texture and I prefer this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by cameobear

Originally I bought this hoping it would be a dupe for my favorite, yet expensive, lip balm: Christian Dior Creme de Rose. The smell of this product is lovely, and very similar to CdR, but the texture was a little less luxurious. As far as lip balms go, its ok; I like it much more than the over hyped Nivea lip butters, but not as much as Nivea milk and honey, and certainly not as much as CdR.

On whim, I decided to rub this on my dry, cracked knuckles and it felt amazing! Within an hour the pain was gone. I've also tried this on my cuticles, as my hands in general have been rough this winter, and it was also great for that! After a cold, I suffered from a very irritated nose from all the tissues; I rubbed this around the area, and it soothed the irritation without making me break out, unlike pain old Vaseline.

Will definitely repurchase, but not really for use on my lips.

P.s. I've also sent the poor tin through the washer and dryer a couple times; its melted of course, but still the same texture, and totally usable! haha

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by Nikki08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is tricky for me. I am a sucker for the adorable packaging first of all! I love the scent, the way it applies so thin and silky and it leaves my lips an adorable sheer baby pink. Buuut it doesn't have any lasting power for me. Maybe I can get an hour out of it if I don't drink or eat anything. I have the Smith's rose salve and also the Smith's strawberry one. If I had to pick it'd be the strawberry one for staying power and overall lip healing capabilities but something about the C.O. Bigelow one will probably keep me repurchasing. What can I say? I'm a total shmuck for packaging and all things vintage looking!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by makaboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best lip balm ever, such a life saver. If you're deciding on buying, then go for it. Smells great,looks great, and lasts really long.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by PaulaNC

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a fabulously vaseline type product that will moisturize all your dry spots. But, just because it's called Rose's Salve, doesn't mean it smells like roses. It doesn't. It smells like vanilla. The top is a total pain-but it's a nicer, more luxury petroleum product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by wq13

I tried this out on my elbows while at BBW one day, and it worked well, so I decided to buy it. Now, I'm completely hooked on this stuff! I use it on dry patches and on my lips every night. When I wake up, I have soft, hydrated lips! Love it! If you ever have a hangnail, USE THIS at night! It'll be basically gone in the morning.
Also, the smell of this product is lovely. It smells rosy and sweet; it's very feminine.
I'd definitely recommend this product to anyone!

UPDATE:
Use this on your CUTICLES! It's a miracle. Literally. No more dry cuticles!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by emilychristine

This stuff is amazing. I have extremely dry skin, especially in the winter. It gets to the point to where I have dry, flaky patches on my skin. This is the ONLY moisturizer/balm that will get rid of it. I know a lot of people use this only for their lips, but it works extremely well for dry skin, too. It is soft and does not feel heavy. Because it does make my skin look quite greasy (obviously), I only use this at night, but I wake up with really nice, smooth skin when I do use it. I also love the scent. It definitely smells like roses, and it does have a floral smell (at least to me, but I love it). It's really nice and calming. The only con I can think of about this product is the packaging. It looks cute and all, but it is so hard to open. It got to the point where I had to use pliers with my dad (lol) to get it open, so now I just have it in a plastic baggie. It doesn't really matter to me, but it was just really annoying because it would take me like 5 minutes to open it.

For the price, this is worth it. I don't think it's really all that expensive..it could be considered a high end product in my book. I would really recommend this for anyone with very dry skin, or just anyone who wants to properly hydrate their skin, because this will do it. I also like the lavender salve, but I just like this one more because I like the scent better. However, they both work the same. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by TropicalKissesxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So where to i even start... alright well.. let's do the 3P's!
1. Packaging: I love the packaging, that's what initally attracted me to find this baby. It's really cute and vintage looking, and looks well put together, kind of expensive looking i guess you could say. It's just looks like something that's good quality. Alot of people complain that their Rose Salve packaging is hard to open, but mine opens like a dream.. i have no problem opening it.. so i can't relate to anyone on that note.
2. Price: For what you get in this little tin, it's totally worth it. it's 5.50$, and you get 22g/ 0.8 OZ of product... and with this product a little goes a long way, so this should last quite a while depending on what you use it for.
3. Product: Alright, the moment who ever is reading this was waiting for. I use this on my lips, my cuticles, my hands.. pretty much anywhere but I normally reach for this daily as a lipbalm. I have been a faithfull Blistex fan for such a long time, which is why i was hesitant in trying this since Blistex is cheaper and I always repurchase it, but I'm so glad i tried this! because I'm never going to buy Blistex again! This has become one of my two favorite go-to lipbalms (the other being CO Bigelow's My Favorite Lipbalm)! It's smooth, and you only need a teeny bit of this for the lips, which means i wont have to repurchse this for awhile, so i'll be saving money. It smells AMAZING, kind of a vanilla sort of scent, and it lasts a long time on my lips. Some people compare it to Vaseline, which i dont think it can be because this really nourishes the lips. Some people say it's greasy, but I personally dont have that problem. I now have soft, smooth lips all the time, and dont need to slap on lipbalm every second of the day. I love the results this gave me, and when i apply it on at night, i wake up with healthy, pink, soft lips.
Do I recommend this: YES.
Will I repurchase? YES.
Go try it, it's great xx