MAC Satin - Mylar

3.6

on 2/22/2008 10:39:00 AM

Mylar is an off white eyeshadow by MAC in a satin finish. There is nothing special about the colour so yes, you could very easily find a similar and cheaper version at a drugstore. However, in my opinion, that is virtually applicable to most colours and most products so for me, the fact that the colour is Ďnothing specialí does not constitute a problem.

What is tricky about Mylar is the finish. I find MACís satin eyeshadow finish to be rather inconsistent. Mylar is virtually matte although if you look closely in broad daylight, you will be able to see veeeery subtle shimmer. However, Shroom is also a satin but to me is more like a frost and Folie is also a satin but I find it matte! I think the finish is what can really disappoint potential buyers: you think you are buying a satin and end up with a nearly matte eyeshadow.

Going back to Mylar, it is one of my most used colours. I normally use it at as wash, no matter what look I am aiming for, from lashline to brow bone. If it is day makeup, it also works as a highlighter. I donít like a lot of shimmer in my eyes during the day and even less on my brow bone, so Mylar works just fine. Besides, it merges really well with my medium skin tone, and you cannot really tell it is there, but cannot see bare skin either. If I am going for a nigh time look, I use it to prep the lid. Also in those days when I donít feel like doing a full face, I just apply a bit of blot powder, blush, clear brow gel and even out my lid colour with Mylar.

As far as consistency is concerned, I have never found it to be chalky. However what I think is applicable to many (nearly) matte shades is that the lighter the colour, the chalkier it can look if applied heavily.

Mylar is one of my most used colours and definitely a colour I donít feel sorry for spending 16 Ä on. Iíd rather do it with Mylar than with another trendy eyeshadow I know it will only use once.

on 7/2/2007 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I use this as a highlighter and base since years. I think I never went out without it. It is a very natural color, and looks great with absolutely any color.
I would say it's a natural matte ivory color, but I guess it looks different on other skin tones.
What I also like about it is that it lasts a great long time, even though I use it almost every day, it lasts one year or longer.
The same with other MAC eye shadows.
So, I can't complain about it.

on 5/24/2007 4:37:00 PM

Boring, plain matte off-white color. It is definitely chalkier and more sheer compared to MAC's Veluxe Pearls or even their Frost shadows, but it's not horrible. Just not great and not worth 14 USD. NYX's "Nude" is similar (but not as white, which will work better for most people) and has a much better, silkier texture.

on 5/23/2007 5:36:00 PM

I was disappointed in this shade - it hardly showed up on my skin, and the texture was chalky and difficult to blend. I swapped it away almost immediately. I think Nylon or Vanilla would be a better bet.

on 3/19/2007 6:09:00 PM

This is a pretty basic off-white color, looks good on my cool NW15 skin, but is probably neutral enough to work on other skintones as well. I use this from lashline to brow - both as a highlighter and a base for when I do a natural eye with Era, Satin Taupe, Mystery, Blitz and Glitz fluidline. (My new natural HG look!) The Satin formula is lovely as ever, but I still think this is not one of the best representatives for the formula, for that Mylar applies a little less even than for example Era. I use the 239 brush with both, so the difference is noticeable. I think I might buy this again, because Mylar lends itself better to a natural eye than the usual frosty white highlighter. Edit: Now I am in love with it! This is basically a great matte highlighter for me as I do not tolerate to much glitter on my brow. You need to be pale to love this! (I think...)

on 1/12/2007 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Disappointing for a MAC shade, but not all-together terrible. It makes a nice highlighter when a less-flashy look is called for, and there's nothing really wrong with it, but it's just sort of boring and dull. Bsically, the shade itself is worth having, but there's no reason to drop 14 bucks on the MAC version when you could get something similar at the drug store for $3.50.

on 1/15/2006 11:58:00 PM

Very basic base like my MAC vanilla and llama :)

This is a very basic bone coloured shadow that I use from lash to brow as a base for the rest of my eyeshadow. I would only use this during the day time as it has no shimmer. I disagree with some of the previous reviewers who said it has a chalky and unblendable texture because it works just fine for me. It's nothing to get excited about really and I probably wouldn't buy it again because I'm sure a similar colour could be found at the drugstore.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

What can I say about this e/s? Its chalky, gritty texture, unblendable, unworkable.. just not worth it at all. I'm surprised mac made something as disappointing. Don't waste your money.

This shade BLOWS! Maybe it works for others but not for me! I have tried to use it as a highlighter and it doesn't even show up. Soooo boring. Even after several applications of it, nothing.