November 28, 2014 | 2034 users online

Pressed Powders - E.L.F. - Clarifying Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by shabbus

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've just started using powder as part of my regular routine. The first one I tried was suggested to me by the SA at Nordstrom's (MAC Studio Fix, I think. I know that it was more than $24). I wanted something to keep in my purse in case I needed to touch up, and picked up the E.L.F. powder at Target for $1.

I haven't touched the MAC powder since.

I haven't used any powder other than this. I love the texture, I love the color and I really, really love the price. The packaging is just fine for a buck, but nothing you'd want to keep on your dressing table. You don't get a huge amount, but that means a smaller overall size and that works great for a purse or travel. It even comes with a puff, but they don't work well for me, so I have to pack a brush. But I'd have to pack that with any powder.
And being the cheapskate that I am, nothing -but nothing- gives me a bigger kick in the morning than buffing on this powder and remembering that it only cost a dollar.It's the highlight of my morning!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is better than I remembered it. It used to have a strong Orange scent but it's much milder now. I like how it looks on my skin and hasn't given me hives, which is common for powders for me. It's super cheap and I can get it at Target. Who would of guessed a $1 powder is my HG.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:01:00 AM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:

1. Cheap! Any $1 make up compact that doesn't test on animals (especially if it's vegan) is worth a try!

2. Coverage ain't bad. It's in between light coverage and medium coverage to me. A bit buildable, but not to full coverage.

Cons:

1. Poor color selection. The only available colors at my Target were Ivory and Light Beige. These are their 2 lightest shades in the collection. Ivory was too light for me, and Light Beige was too dark. It was a pain in the but trying to use both of them to get the "me" color. But I did it.

2. Powdery. I'll bet you're thinking, "Duh," but what I mean is that if you swirl, dip, or anything your brush into the compact, powder is sitting on top of the product. It's not very buttery. So once you're finished applying the powder, odds are that a bunch of product in powder form that's become separated from the pressed compact will spill everywhere. Messy. Wasteful.

3. Although it's supposed to be clarifying, this powder totally clogged up my pores and broke me out. It took about 3-4 days for my skin to have a negative reaction. The first day, nothing changed. Second day, my blemishes were healing! Third day, my blemishes healed a little more, but my skin was over-producing oil. Fourth day, I had a bunch of new break outs. I continued acquiring more and more pimples until finally I put this make up away and my face went back to normal.

4. Not a lot of product in the packaging. But hey, for one dollar, that's not a big deal.

Comments:

2 lippies stands for "didn't like it", while 1 lippie for me is "hated it" and three lippies is "it's okay".

Packaging didn't get a 5 because I think it would be nice if they included a mirror. "But it's only a one dollar compact!" you say, and then I reply, "Well hey, if L.A. Color's one dollar compact can have a mirror, why not this one?"

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by astr323

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

elf seems really opposed to creating products in lighter shades that don't have intense yellow undertones! I have fair caucasian skin and nearly everything elf makes shows up dark and yellow on me, including products in shades 'ivory' and 'porcelain.' this powder isn't terrible but it makes my foundation look a little less even. also be careful not to drop the compact this stuff comes in! it's pretty fragile. overall not a great product, but it's friggin $2, what do you expect

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by mexicancrackles

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is definitely not for me. I have dry skin and this just makes my face look cakey, dry, patchy, etc. It's very matte, so it might be better for oily skins. It's quite messy and crumbles quite easily. The packaging is cheap looking and breaks very easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 6:05:00 PM More reviews by SarahhBolt

Okay, recently got another E.L.F haul :D So, I decided to try this product and find out what all the fuss was about and now I know. This has become a powder I use on a daily basis. The problem is, I've already hit pan... I just LOVE it. Mines in ivory, A LOT darker than it looks, so if you have slightly pale skin make sure it's the shade you go for (as it's the lightest). I have oily skin and I own dewy foundations so I like to keep them Matte so pressing this onto a pad and then applying to my face just is amazing. Honestly trying this, and Rimmel Stay Matte, I wouldn't bother with another high end Powder.
(Sorry for the awful Punctuation)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2012 6:29:00 PM More reviews by Mosmakeuplover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a good powder but it isn't the best of coarse. It does keep my makeup in place and my face matte. However I think there should be more shades. I got the lightest shade ivory and it matches my skin tone nicely, but I'm light skinned but not pale so I think there should a shade or two that's lighter than "ivory" (which isn't ivory at all) a few more really dark shades would be nice too.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by zeebraheem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I am a big fan of E.L.F. products so for $1 I thought I would try this powder. I got it in 'light beige' although I have quite tan skin but the color worked perfectly. I used it to set my liquid foundation. The powder was just okay, until I dropped it. I used it for a few days without re-pressing it and the texture just completely changed. It was so dense and became cakey so I just through it out since it was so cheap no big deal. I replaced it with a powder that I could use as a light light coverage foundation or use to set liquid foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by Hayyleyyissmee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this powder! I've been using this for about a year now, and honestly, when I first started using it, I thought that I was gonna run out of it in no time, but I've hardly made a dent in it. I got this in light beige, thinking that it was gonna be too light for my medium toned complexion, but it's actually a great match! I love using it with both a brush and a puff. I think applying it with a powder brush gives a more light application, while applying it with a puff gives a whole lot more coverage and matifys super well! For a dollar, you really can't go wrong, and it works just as well as some of the higher-end powders out there! I'd recommend it to anybody out there looking for a great all-around face powder!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked up the powder in Ivory on a kind of whim; I figured, for a dollar, why not just try it? Well, I am very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the packaging is cheap plastic, yes, the puff isn't the most luxurious. But people, it is a dollar! What are you expecting? The shade, Ivory, is a surprisingly good match for my approximately NC15 coloring. It has a yellow tone to it that goes well with my skin. I find the puff adequate for its purpose. Using the puff gives heavier coverage than dusting it on with a brush. Actually, I find that, using the puff, I can almost use it as a powder foundation. The finish is nicely matte, holds back the oil for about as long as any other powder I've ever used. There is no scent, which is great. Overall, a great little item. I suppose there are likely to be a few shades that aren't great at this price point. Then again, at much higher prices, there are bad shades as well. I have found Clinique foundation and powder shades to be WAAAAY too peach or orange, almost across the whole gamut of their product lines. If you can find a shade that suits you in this E.L.F. line, it's a great steal.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No