September 19, 2014 | 966 users online

Lip Treatments - Laura Mercier - lip silk

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2008 12:08:00 AM More reviews by glamourpuss

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It took a long time for me to learn to like this stuff, in fact, I almost returned it. Yes, it's a bit grainy going on and hard to get out of the tube, but I can live with that in exchange for completely smooth lips all day, every day.

I don't have horribly chapped lips but I do have one spot on my lower lip that flakes a bit, every day, even though my lips aren't really dry. This is a problem because I wear lipstick all the time, and we all know how awful lipstick looks on flaky lips. When I use this treatment before bed I wake up to perfectly smooth lips that don't flake, all day. So, now I use it just in the evenings and sometimes overnight and my lips stay in perfect lipstick-worthy shape.

One thing I've noticed is that it's gotten much easier to squeeze out the product now that I'm about halfway through the tube. Not sure why that is, but I do remember having to use tremendous force to extract even a tiny amount of balm and now it's as easy as any normal tube. That issue needs to be addressed but I hope LM doesn't "solve" the problem by packaging this in a pot.

I appreciate that this is unscented, unflavored, and colorless, and once the inital graininess melts away I really love the texture. It feels like a serious lip treatment in that it doesn't require reapplication within fifteen minutes, and it even stays on through light eating and drinking. I think I'll try using it as a primer under lipstick like another reviewer mentioned because it seems like it would work well as one. It's expensive but it delivers so, for me, it's worth it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2007 2:10:00 PM More reviews by JClarke

I bought this after having read the reviews on MUA. I wasn't disappointed. I use it as a night time treatment for the lips and it's the only one of its type that I have ever used that doesn't disappear within minutes. I have only been using it a week or so so perhaps a bit too early to say whether it has any lasting effect on the lips.
The salesgirl said it's supposed to have an exfoliating effect as well as being mouisturizing but I can't see it myself as it's a very thick and smooth balm.She did also say that it wasn't intended for wearing under lipstick and I can see that it would have a detrimental effect on your lipstick if you tried it since it is very thick and forms a barrier on the lips.
It is really difficult to get out of the tube! It's so thick that you have to have muscles like superman to squeeze it out. I can't imagine why they didn't package it in a little pot instead, which would have been much more suitable.
It says to use liberally, which I have been doing - at night only - but it's a very small tube so this won't last me long I think. Makes it quite an expensive option.
Update: I have regrettably had to deduct a point for Packaging. After having used it for a couple of weeks, still having difficulty getting it out of the tube as described above, there was a popping noise and the product shot out of a big hole in the bottom of the tube! After that it all came out of the bottom of the tube every time I squeezed it. I took it back and got it replaced without any hassle but it just goes to show it really would be better off in a pot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2007 4:33:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

It's a nice enough balm, but when I use it at night my lips can feel a bit dry in the morning. It's a great balm for day to wear under lippy as it's not goopy, but for what it is it's really pricey.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2007 2:47:00 PM More reviews by chloejeanette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I simply wasn't crazy about this lip treatment.

My lips are perma-chapped after a round of Accutane seven years ago. I am constantly looking for something to take away the dryness and flakes. When I read the reviews here for this, I thought for sure that this would be it!

Wrong. I just wasn't that impressed. It was really hard to get out of the tube, and I felt like it just "sat" on my lips. It felt heavy, gunky, and greasy. I applied it both morning and night for a few weeks, hoping to see some sort of difference. I did not.

I have since given up and have been seeing much better results with MAC's Lip Conditioner, which I picked up on a whim at a make-up outlet...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2007 10:37:00 PM More reviews by sharis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really on the fence on this product. Well, not really. It's just an average product so I guess I'm disappointed because I had such high hopes for it. First off you can hardly get it out of the tube so they really need to think about repackaging this stuff. It is nice and thick and stays on but I just don't think it's doing anything for my lips. In fact I think it's actually drying them out a bit. Sorry but this one's a thumbs down for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 2:17:00 PM More reviews by LKirsten

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I would repurchase, but I'll never run out lol. I prefer Aquaphor as an overnight lip treatment or daily balm, but I like this as a primer before lipstick or gloss. On non-work days I do wear it alone, and use it as an exfoliant. I have worn it at night, and woken up with smoother lips, but my lips are very very dry & Aquaphor works better to moisturize. this is better as a primer for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2007 8:59:00 PM More reviews by linjul

this felt really good when i applied it on my lips and i left it on overnight and it was super smooth in the morning.. but then i still have flaky skin like usually... my lips are always so super dry and peels ALOT.... but applying this under my lipglosses are some what good (chanel glossimers!) but it doesn't really help with the peeling that i was hoping it would.. anyone recommend anything for peeling and dry lips?! email me if you guys do! i would greatly appreciate it! not sure will i buy it again.. it's so EXPENSIVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2007 4:28:00 PM More reviews by elyse34

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It is fabulous! When I put it on at night it stays on the whole night. It also sloughs off the dead skin on my lips (I'm not sure how) so my lips are not only less dry but also smoother.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2007 2:33:00 PM More reviews by westcoastgirl

I like LM lip silk a lot. It has great staying power. I use it mostly at night and I wake up with soft smooth lips. I just wish that the tube had a slanted tip to apply instead of having to smooth it in with my finger or a lip brush.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2007 8:00:00 AM More reviews by trshafer

It's a good lip balm, but I wouldn't buy it again. I like Aquaphor Healing Ointment better, and it's only a fraction of the price.