October 25, 2014 | 1697 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - First Base Eyeshadow Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2007 9:19:00 PM More reviews by xxoo

So I went to Sephora looking for a good eyeshadow base. Of course they had to run out of UD Potion Primer (I had my heart set on trying that after reading such fabulous reviews here) since it's such an obviously popular product. One of the sa came along and convinced me to buy this instead- she put it on the back of her hand and it just looked so glowy and whitish golden and awesome, I knew it couldn't be that bad! Plus the packaging was cute too. So I got suckered into spending the $15 and buying this thing. Can you say Wow...NOT. This product sucks. Majorly. It looks so fake going on my eyelids and it doesn't even go on smoothly! I literally have to pull and tug my delicate eye area to get this thing to go on, and when it does, it makes my eyelids look crepe-like and dry! Maybe I'm not moisturizing enough, but I frankly don't care enough to try all over again. Granted after such arduous effort, my eyeshadows generally don't crease and look a tiny bit brighter, I don't think I want something that causes frustration and early wrinkles to appear around my eyes. So save your money gals, and don't get fooled by the gorgeous color or cute packaging!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2007 1:08:00 AM More reviews by mrsliliana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i foolishly bought this a thousand years ago to try. it creases even when worn alone, it doesnt help anything stay put longer, and it just pretty much gathers dust in my makeup bag. i dont like it. vaseline works so much better and costs like, a buck. i dont mind paying however much a product costs, as long as it does what it is supposed to do. so no, i wont buy this again. i'm not even going to give it away, that's how much it sucks. ha!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2007 9:49:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this before I discovered Primer potion. This stuff shouldn't even be called an eye shadow primer because it just makes your lids more greasy. I liked the click top pot but other than that, it was a waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2007 4:46:00 PM More reviews by LindsAllie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well after just hitting pan on my second container of this, I have to say I'm shocked by all the negative reviews. Perhaps part of the problem is that for me, this isn't really a primer; I don't use it under my eye shadow to help things stay put. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, however, around the corners of my eyes and underneath my eye to brighten and make me look alert! While not subtle per se, it also isn't extremely glittery -- sort of akin to lining very inside corners of your eyes with white. I think I look dead without this stuff and do not think powder or even other liquid highlighters do what it does. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2007 1:17:00 PM More reviews by mizzjennii

I was surprised to find a lot of Too Faced cosmetics at Marshall's one day so I decided to buy First Base just to try it out. Plus...it was only like $4.00 so I thought why the heck not?! ABSOLUTE CRAP! How can they even call this an eye shadow base? It creases after 5 minutes!! I've worn it alone for some shimmer but other than that it's worthless. Thank God I didn't pay full price for that!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2007 2:36:00 PM More reviews by eiluj44

I'm in the minority here, but I LOVE this product. My e/s seems to stay on a bit longer, and the shimmer and color make anything you put on top POP! Especially great for wearing sheer or pastel colors that tend to fizzle out aftern an hour.

It does not crease on me. I think the trick is, as someone else mentioned, do one eye at a time. It dries out quickly. I use a THIN layer of it (with my finger) and sometimes a second thin layer, and then apply my e/s immediately. Then repeat on the other eye. At the end I also dot a tiny bit on the inner corners of my eyes as a brightener.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2007 3:48:00 PM More reviews by mtalla27

After using this product it was weird to read all of the negative reviews. Maybe I am one of the handful of people that thinks this looks so nice either as a stand alone eyeshadow or base. The way it shimmers after applied is golden and luminous. Very subtle shine with the ability to hold eyeshadow very well. I worse this to work yesterday during one of the most humid days in Philadelphia and it never creased or wore off. I applied this alone around 7:30am and it was still on at 11:00pm when I washed my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2007 8:47:00 PM More reviews by noelstarlene

at first i thought it helped with creasing, but then i wasnt so sure. i ended up finding that even when i wore it alone, IT even creased—not terribly, but it certainly didnt stay perfectly put. how does a primer crease itself, that doesnt make any sense! i still do enjoy using it tho just as a little something when i dont have time to actually apply eyeshadow - it really is very pretty :). but of course, as with any eyeshadow i use, i make sure to check it every couple hours to make sure to undo any creasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2007 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Nancy918

This is great as a pearly eye shadow, but it sucks as an eye primer. I have been using this under my eyeshadow for almost two years, I don't know why I should have switched sooner, but everyday my eyeshadow would be gone. It is absolutely no staying power, although the product does last forever so I will use it as eyeshadow on my natural days. I have recently gotten into buying eyeshadow and I started using primer potion from Urban Decay which is a miracle must. It brings out the true color of my shadow AND it makes my make up stay and stay.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2007 7:10:00 AM More reviews by NorthernStar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently bought my first Too-Faced eyeshadow and the SA swore to me that this was an essential purchase with it, it would prevent creasing, it would help the eyeshadow stay forever, it would intensify colour blah blah.

So I was horrified to look in the mirror at 10.00 this morning, after applying at 7.30 to seeing *worst* creasing I have *ever* experienced in my life. Lord only knows how long is had looked that bad. The eyeshadow was just a hint of colour, apart from in the crease of my eye. No staying power, no intensifying of colour nada and my eyes aren't particularly oily to begin with that I could blame the problem on them. It was pure product failure.

This is an utterly awful product, kinda pretty as a colour itself, but useless for its purpose. I'm wondering if I can return it to be honest. If you are looking for an eye primer, run to Urban Decay's Primer Potion, now that is amazing stuff.

I would *never* repurchase.
ETA: I wrote this without reading any of the other reviews, so glad I'm not alone with my hate for this and love for UDPP!