Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

on 10/30/2011 2:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

My mom used to use this on my hair when I was very young and I always wondered why she felt the need to slather my hair with styling products when I was young! But now many years later as an adult, I've started using Potion 9 and LOVE this stuff. It looks like orange goo when it comes out of the packaging, but it smells wonderful and it feels great in my hair. I usually put this on my hair before I blow dry and it seems to help cut the drying time down and make my hair more manageable. It makes flat ironing a breeze too. After using Potion 9 and styling my hair, my hair is sleek, shiny and feels amazing. No frizz, just smooth hair! Love this stuff!

on 8/7/2011 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Ewwwch. Gross. I remember my mum using this back in the 90's (the decade that gave us mall hair - err warning bells!!) I thought I'd give it a go as I think some Sebastian products are quite good for my fine yet abundant, highlighted/stacked jaw length bob.
It hasn't changed a bit and is still the gross orange stinky goop I remember. After s&c'ing I applied a small amount to damp hair and blow dried, or attempted to, I could barely drag my brush through the tangly mess this turned my hair into. My hair is pretty easy to style into a zhuzzy do' but this made it dull limp straw like and generally gross. There are far more superior leave in treatments out there, read anti-snap, ciment thermique etc. This is a dated product that is over priced and best consigned back to the decade it came from. I threw mine out straight away, don't waste your money ladies! BUH BYE! :) x

on 6/21/2011 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Sally Beauty sells a knock-off version of this that works called "GVP Leave-In Treatment - Compare to Sebastian Potion 9". It works just as well as the original that I once used to use with good/better ingredients - for $5 in a huge tube. I like this product for applying to damp hair before a blow out.It definitely smooths and detangles upon application, but it doesn't block humidity like Phytodefrisiant.

on 4/12/2011 11:00:00 AM

This is about as close to an HG product as I get with my hair. I've been using this faithfully for years on my wavy/curly, coarse yet thin, color treated hair. It acts more like a leave-in conditioner imo than a styling treatment but it definitely helps to keep my hair soft and tame.

on 3/27/2011 10:10:00 AM

Its an average product, i have slightly wavy hair, coloured and it just does do much for my hair.
i do however enjoy the fact that it tames the fly aways
however it absorbs quite quickly, maybe even before i work it into my hair.

on 3/25/2011 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

A little bit goes a long, long way!
Provides control for your hair, weightless styling, great for blow drys especially round brushing. I really like to mix this with the stylixer or the taming exlixr that Sebastian also makes.

It is pretty moisturizing and if you're using too much, you'll know because the weightless styling becomes heavy.

(I marked this as cheap because I found it at Ross for $4. YMMV as to how much you find it for.)

There is a lot I like about this product:

1. Great smell
2. Makes my hair soft

OK, I guess that's only two things, it seemed like more.

What I don't like is the fact that I think I have developed a bit of buildup... possibly as a result of using way too much. After reading some of these reviews I think I'm using about three times as much as I should be. As a result sometimes freshly washed hair looks greasy... so don't use too much.

Oh, and another thing I like is that if I get too lazy to blow dry my hair it does not dry crunchy like hair gel does. Win!

on 1/7/2011 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a classic for a reason. Dry, frizzy ends are softened and strengthened. Without it, I must wait for my hair to dry before putting it up, or it will look horrible when I let it back down; with it, it looks shiny and healthy. It also seems to protect the hair from heat damage. Love it, will always repurchase when I run out.

I have thick, wavy hair about two inches past my shoulders, and this is one of the few products that provides moisture without making my hair look greasy or irritating my scalp. My stylist said that i could use it when straightening my hair as well, but I have not yet tried that.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is a review for the 2004 version of this product.Thus, although I can't guarantee 100% accuracy in my review, I can guarantee high accuracy and even very high accuracy considering the fact that I'm not aware that they changed the formula. This is an orange leave in cream, quite liquidy, that if I remember correctly, supposedly promises to leave your hair 'soft as string'(once again, excuse me for inaccuracies). On my thick, coarse, dry frizzy curly 3b, 3c and 4a hair it did have a softening effect. However, it gave nothing in terms of control or shine or even deep penetrating nourishment.. Also, it is quite expensive, and one bottle contains a very small amount of product. For me, a ladywith thick hair that needs nourishment, it is impractical to constantly run out and buy bottles which contain that little product(and if I may say so, pay the relatively expensive price). This is an average product- definitely not a product to shout from the rooftops about and I won't purchase again.

Top Rated Sebastian Products