Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir

4.4

Tried this in store only. (I don't know No. 5 well, to give some context.)
I truly don't understand the hype. This is nothing but a lovely, light musk. You could spend a tenth of the price and still smell largely similar! I really, truly don't think No. 5 is all that special, and though I really like the softness of this version, it's not a keeper just because suddenly it's in oil form. Would wear it if gifted it.

This is what No.5 should smell like IMO. The jasmine is very well defined and reminds me of the No. 5 Eau Premier's refreshing contrast. The pamplet in the box says the elixir contains raw ingredients that may turn the color darker over time but in no way effects the great scent. Although this is a great version of No. 5, I don't think I would buy this again because I get a slight redness on my skin after using it and I wish the scent would last longer, one lippie off for that..bummer!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this product after reading some good reviews and testing it at the Chanel counter. I am a huge Chanel fragrances fan, and I used to wear classic #5 for many years, however, in the last few years I've stopped as something has either changed in my body chemistry or the fragrance itself, but it stopped smelling on me the way it did before. I think it just became way too strong for me, but I could be wrong. In any case, the Elixir is just perfect. It has none of the "headache-inducing" notes that you get when you put on the original #5, yet the beautiful dried-down scent of Chanel 5 is available immediately. On top of that, I am noticing a floriental note I didn't notice before with the regular #5, but I could be wrong. I wish it had a slightly longer-staying power, but I took the advice of one of the reviewers below and will pour some in a roller bottle to carry with me. I have to touch it up in the pm, but I don't mind (normally, I buy frangrances you don't have to touch up). This is now a staple in my fragrance collection.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is my second bottle as I had to part with my first when I left it behind when abroad. Now this is happy days for those of you who cannot wear no 5 in general be it in terms of lasting power or the scent itself. I always loved no 5 but it didnt last on me, ending up smelling woody powdery on me. I would be so envious of those who could wear it and it would smell baby powdery but with a richness about it on them. Mind you a lot of people would not want that! But i did. Anyway demeters baby powder helped a bit. I wear coco (both ones) well. Now going back to the no 5 elixir it glides onto the skin and with time it becomes a warm pleasant comforting scent that no 5 on me lacks. In fact they are separate fragrances to me and on me. The elixir is so luxurious. I wish it lasted longer but still had to give 5 lippes because its so gorgeous.

UPDATE (03/05/08): This gives me a headache and is not long lasting so i have taken a lippy of to four.

I am another non-fan of No.5 but this product is, and is about, the "total package." The fragrance is a more up-to-date, fresher, less aldehyde-driven version of the EDP; the silky, moisturizing, gel-like texture is heaven; the bottle is gorgeous; and, because a fair amount of product is used each time and I'm a very sparing user of fragrance, I'll be throwing out a much lesser percentage (if any at all) should the stuff turn. An object of desire that truly delivers.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

It's pink! Almost gel-like texture in a modern elegant bottle. Slippery to the touch and long lasting to the nose. Noticeable.
This is no parfum (my reason for living) but it's definately doable. Sexy, deep, sensual, and musky.

Lucky for me, this was a gift (only one pout did it, girls). Honestly, for repurchase I'll have the original No5 before this one, but yes, i'd repurchase.

This is No. 5's more approachable and vulnerable sister. The citrus and vanilla have been amped up, and the aldehydes and slight bitterness of the original have been greatly reduced. I'd put this one in the same family with the newer No. 5 Eau Premiere, Chanel's "modern" take on this classic.

The elixir is essentially a liquid gel that glides on. I decanted some from the stopper bottle into a purse-size roller bottle and prefer to apply it that way. Nice for touch-ups, too.

This won't replace the original No. 5 on my dresser top, but it's a marvelous, sunnier alternative.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Well, I just sampled this lovely Elixir and might have to buy a bottle. I also am not a huge fan of No 5, I agree with the previous reviews - this is softer and really smells great, with a little bit of a No 5 bite. Very nice! It does come in a great bottle and a little dab will do just fine!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

My first Chanel fragrance purchase. I cannot STAND Chanel EDP, or any of the other lines, but THIS! THIs is beautiful!!!! It is definitely a softer, fuzzy, dreamy, sensual version of it. The other one gives me a terrible headache and makes my nose hurt! The Sensual Elixir is like a sweet cuddly dream (i know, it sounds cheesy...but really!). Gel formula soaks in easily, not sticky. I love the stopper, very glamourous but i miss the convenience of a spray. I am so glad i found this!
UPDATE: ok-eventually made me nauseous. it turned soooo sour and sharp to my nose. mild headache developed...sad because i really really wanted to love this. :(

This smells sooo goood! I could never see myself wearing the edt or edp or even pure parfum, and I tried them all. But this one smells really nice, I so like it on my skin after a bath or shower! Males in my family are not very fond of Chanel no5, I have asked them what they thought of it ( I always ask without telling them what fragrance it is). But with this one it's them asking what I am wearing! So this one is definitely staying!

Popular Fragrances