April 20, 2014 | 1692 users online

Powder - Maybelline - PureStay Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by emmurtagh

I switched to PureStay about three months ago after reading some reviews on this site. I had used the same powder foundation for 8 years, but it ran out too quickly and did not provide the even coverage I was looking for.

I got the lightest shade of PureStay that there is, because they all look so dark. But it really is the perfect color, even on my fair skin! It provides even coverage, every time, that lasts all day long. I am still on my first compact of PureStay, even though I have used it every day for the past three months. I'm running out now, but plan on buying more soon! I love this foundation. It is great quality for the price. I hope Maybelline keeps this foundation around for a long time, because I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I will say the packaging is a bit big and bulky for the amount of powder inside. But that is just something you have to get over. Also, I use my own Sonia Kashuk powder brush to apply. I've never liked those sponges that come in the pack.

Again, this is a great product and I would definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Everytime I use this powder foundation it really WOW's me. I'm always feeling like I have to try the newest things that come out so this gets pushed to the back or bottom of my makeup collection from time to time, and I forget it's there until I find it again in a month or two..
    I've been using this again for the past 6-7 days in a row (which is more days in a row than I used it in the past) and have to say I'm impressed! My skin is fair with neutral leaning warm undertones (between N10 & NC15 if I wore MAC) and also oily (yet can get dehydrated in cooler/changing weather) and very clog-prone and slightly acne prone.
    This powder has never given me any issues with clogged pores or breakouts and controls my oil surprisingly well for a $7 USD powder, even without a primer or another powder "setting" it over top.
    I used this powder on and off in HighSchool (more than 14yrs ago! o_O) but couldn't remember much else about it other than that I liked it. After reading a few recommendations on the MakeUp Board of it being a favorite powder foundation of many, I went out and picked it up again about 6 months ago. My initial reaction when I saw the poor shade selection was that the lightest shade would be too dark for me but I picked it up anyway for right around $7 at my local WalMart. It seems that every drugstore has this ALLLL the way at the bottom of their Maybelline display, barely noticeable to anyone who's not *looking* for it, which is disappointing to me :( I think for as awesome as this powder is, it should be promoted by Maybelline a bit more.. Regardless, the lightest shade (Ivory) IS indeed a good shade match (actually it's a near perfect match) So if you are on the lighter side of N/NC15, the lightest shade should work for you as well :) If you're more fair with pink undertones (NW10-15), then the Ivory shade may be a bit too yellow for your taste, but it's so inexpensive I'd say give it a try anyway!
    The first time I tried it I used the enclosed sponge - bad idea.. It gave a patchy application (this was my experience at least..) So I ditched the sponge and used a brush, which is typically what I use for powder foundations anyway(usually ELF's Flat Top Powder Brush or Studio Kabuki Brush for reference) and while those brushes made application much easier and even looking, the coverage was very light this way. So if light coverage is what you're looking for from this, I'd definitely recommend brush application for Maybelline PureStay. I wanted more coverage though so switched to a fluffy powder puff for applying this. I've found that dabbing/bouncing the puff around on my skin blurs out imperfections best. (Dabbing rather than swiping because swiping motions seem to emphasize my large/visible pores) &The dabbing method provides more medium coverage and is easily buildable without ever looking cakey. If you DO apply a bit too much and get the "cakey/powdery" look going on, just spritz a little RoseWater (or something like MAC Fix+ Spray) and it will tone it down to a more natural finish. (I like Boot's RoseWater Toner from Target - I've decanted some into a spray bottle just for situations like this) Plus it lasts all day on my oily skin, with or without primer. I kept glancing at myself in the mirror quite a few hours after initial application and thought WOW, I can't believe my makeup still looks this fresh and perfect! &Those of you with difficult or oily skin and large pores (like mine) know that this isn't something we get to say often when we see ourselves in the mirror many hours after we apply makeup (I know I don't at least..lol ;D)
    If you're someone who needs full on heavy coverage on a daily basis I'd still recommend this to you, and would just suggest you use this more as a setting powder for another foundation rather than using it alone. I've found that sometimes layering two light/medium coverage products can give a better looking full coverage appearance and more staying power vs. a full coverage foundation on it's own.
    Needless to say Maybelline PureStay will NOT be getting pushed to the bottom of my makeup collection anymore, and has made its way into my high rotation makeup bag (where I keep the products I love and use most often) I certainly plan to repurchase and highly recommend :)
    *UPDATE*
    It's been several months since my initial review and this is something that I'm still using almost daily (or several times a week at minimum). I've already completely used up/finished my first compact and have started on PureStay compact #2 :) Like before, I had to duck down & search to find it at my local drugstore as it's not something that Maybellinle promotes very well, so I Pray that it's not going to be discontinued or reformulated or anything of that nature! =( I actually had CVS Extra Bucks saved up and a CVS Extra Care Coupon for BOGO 50% Off Maybelline Face Products so purchased two of these for the price of one :) That way I have a back up which is ideal since I love PureStay so dearly <3
    I actually wore this powder foundation layered overtop L'Oreal's Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream on Christmas and had many pictures taken. I got to see all of the pics several weeks ago and couldn't believe how well my skin photographed! Some pics were outside, some were inside in weird (kitchen) lighting, some were by the Christmas Tree, etc. &They all looked equally good. No "flashback" of any kind, nor was any pores/uneven skin visible. This has become my HG Powder Foundation (which used to be Clinique Perfectly Real - &I still like the Clinique one, but I'm preferring this, especially for the price & availability of it)
    So obviously I still highly recommend this and plan to repurchase for as long as Maybelline allows me to ;)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by normajeane73

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite powder foundation. I really hope they do not discontinue it. I use this in the Nude shade. Matches my skin well and does not streak. Gives me a good, medium, matte finish. I love it! I have been using this for a few years now and just love it. Affordable too!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by MyIntuition

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

There is not enough good things i can say about this compac, but there are some bad qualities that should be mentioned.

I have incredibly Oily skin. I usually take a shower twice a day and in an hour of taking it my skin will be an oilslick. Its repulsive. This powder/foundation halts all oil for up to 8+ hours! Crazy am I right? So I just pop this baby all over my face and WAM! I feel and look good all day. Keeping the oils at bay,

With Oily skin of course acne comes into the picture at some point.. Cystic acne is starting to be an issue in my day to day life. The infections keep progressing and leaving behind some scars and the redness never dissapates. Thank you adolecence...
    With that being said this powder has made a remarkable difference to my skin. The coverage is breathtaking. No redness.. Some dark spots are visible but only if you get up close an personal. I can not stress how fantastic the coverage is for a powder.

The packaging is nothing special, its sturdy, but no where near eye catching. I do use the sponge it comes with. I find it works well and as long as you clean it every other day bacteria should not be a problem. I also want to make a comment that it can be flaky on your skin in some places that are dry. My chin and mouth area are prone to this, but do your makeup like normal put it on and let it manipulate it's self onto your skin and you'll be fine.

Now there is an uglier side.. This powder/foundation's first ingredient is Talc. Talc is a mineral that has been linked to cause cancer in some people. BUT Lady's and Gentlemen we all know there probably more cancer causing ingredients in that "healthy" living diet everyone raves about. If i'm gonna die i'm going to look good at my funeral.

With That being said I love this Stuff and will be repurchasing.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2012 10:53:00 PM More reviews by SuziH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Firstly, I shall get my worst comment out of the way by saying the compact leaves much to be desired. Aesthetically, the gray plastic compact which houses this powder foundation is, by far, the least attractive of any of the compacts I've ever owned. That being said, the powder foundation itself is quite nice, if a suitable shade can be found to match one's complexion. Being only slightly more colorful than a white sheet, my complexion is a bit too light for the "Ivory" shade, but I've been wearing it anyway because it has a nice texture and evens out my skin tone. Having discovered that my areas of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks from melasma was actually caused by gluten sensitivity, I have eliminated gluten from my diet. Some of the hyperpigmentation from melasma still remains as the epithelial cells continue to regenerate, so in the meantime, I like to camouflage them as best I can. This powder does a nice job of the aforementioned camouflaging, and still feels lightweight, fresh, and comfortable. Although my skin on my cheeks tends to be slightly dry, I haven't noticed any flakiness at all, and I attribute that to starting out with well moisturized skin prior to application. For the application, I actually use a kabuki brush and swirl the powder onto my skin in a technique similar to the way one is instructed to apply Bare Minerals (et al). Following application with the brush, I then spray my face with rosewater in an atomizer bottle. This really "sets" the powder, and it gives my skin a flawless finish with just enough moisture to not look like makeup. Now if Maybelline can work on creating a very pale yellowish shade AND ditch the atrocity of a compact, I think this could be my new favorite powder foundation!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by marmiran23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OMG I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet!!!! I have been using this little gem for years!! I always have one in my makeup case, one for backup, one in my car, a shade for winter, spring and summer LOL. Okay for starters, I am around a NC20 but leaning much more neutral than yellow. In the dead of winter I wear 10 Ivory. Spring/Summer 20 Buff is fabulous, and in mid summer when I'm the most tan I wear 30 Nude. I am extremely lucky the shades work well for me because the shade selection sucks! 5 or 6 colors is ridiculous IMO. But if you can find a match, you won't be disappointed. I have extremely clog-prone skin and this product has NEVER EVER caused a clog or breakout. I wear this over revlon colorstay liquid and the finish is just amazing. Soft, refined, even, not too matte, just gorgeous. My skin is normal/dry and it never accentuates any flakes or dryness I may encounter. I am not sure I would recommend this to oily ladies. I used this when I was younger with oily skin and I remember it didn't control oil breakthrough very well but I still wore it because the finish is just so lovely. Another thing, you can reapply this throughout the day and it doesn't get cakey! Excellent, quality drugstore product. Woo-hoo!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by tm1999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have finally found a drugstore powder foundation that I really like. It has good staying power dosen't cake or fade on my very oily skin.Buff is my exact shade. will buy again.
    UPDATE : It looks like Maybelline is discountinuning this. Some of the drugstores no longer carry it. Walmart and Target are the only ones that still carry it. Looks like I will have to stock up now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJo19

Absolutely LOVE this powder! I use it to either set my foundation (Makeup Forever HD) or use it alone. When I set my foundation with this, it gives a smooth and matte natural look that I love. It's so flawless and polishes the look. When I use it alone, it gives me just the right amount of coverage to cover any uneven skin tones or blemishes. I've already repurchased this twice now, and plan to continue doing so! I really love all of Maybellines powders, but this is more flawless and natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by choanna

My mom really likes this product, and I can see why! :)
    (I bought this for her so i tested it out and all so i can review it for her)
    It's super finely mille, so when you put it on it does not look cakey. She also says it's very comfortable to wear and it lasts all day!
    It gives really nice coverage, and even thought I don't wear any foundation yet (I'm still a highschooler lol) I can definetly see myself buying it for myself in the future :)
    The packaging is bleh... but come one... the products pretty darn good!!! Haha
    I definetly recommend this :D

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by mukhy0

I'm not a big fan of mineral foundation. I tried a few other brands (mainly bare essentials) and it broke me out. I was really hesitant to try another mineral foundation, but I was having a sublative procedure done on my face (to get rid of my acne scars) and my dermatologist said that I was not allowed to use liquid foundation for a week.

Thanks to MUA, I found this powder foundation and was really surprised that it did not break me out (not yet anyhow. I've only been using it for a week). It doesn't sink into my lines and pores. It actually seems to cover up my large pores and it absorbs the oil on my face. I have super oily skin and use up an entire blotting sheet to get rid of the shine. I didn't have that problem with this powder, so I was really pleased.

The powder doesn't look natural at first and it really noticeable at first application, but it seems to settle in after 10 minutes. I like the fact that it has spf, but it's only 15 spf. It has really light coverage, so don't depend on this if you have post acne marks. I'll update further if it starts to break me out.