September 21, 2014 | 2060 users online

Moisturizers - Kiehl's - Sodium PCA Oil Free Moisturizer

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by sarika

I have been using this product for about a month. At first, it was nicely hydrating and didn't make my skin too oily. I would typically apply, then wait 10 minutes or so for the product to absorb well before applying makeup. After about 2 weeks, I started getting little zits on my forehead and cheeks. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the skin was completely clogged! I stopped using the cream and my skin is starting to clear up. I also deducted a lippie since this has no SPF. For the record, my skin is combination/oily, sensitive, with occasional breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by lwilson216

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this product for a couple of years. I am very oily and this was the only thing that did not make me greasy after an hour. I like that I can finally use a thick cream even though I have oily skin. I mostly use it after I have used a mask or on the weekends when I am not going to wear makeup. I have not broken out because of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by suzzel

The creme absorbs fast and smooth, but doesn't moisturize noticeably - I'll dry and flake as much as ever.
Also, like most "oil-free" vanishing-type cremes it's based on Myristyl Alcohol and Isopropyl Isostearate, two synthetic deeply penetrating oils which can be very comedogenic.
(If you doubt that it contains oils, do the brown-paper-bag-test - leave a pea-sized amount on one over night and check for oil rings in the morning. The wider the oil rings, the more penetrating & comedogenic the oils.)
I used to love their Ultra Facial Moisturizer more than anything but they changed the formula - good bye sodium hyaluronate, hello myristyl alcohol. Now I'm down to aloe gel and jojoba oil again...

(For the record I have acne-prone combination skin, use benzoyl peroxide gel, and sometimes flake from that.)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2008 4:04:00 PM More reviews by csema8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a very good basic moisturizer for my combination skin which is both dry and oily as well as acne-prone with large pores. Moisturizers made for dry skin are too moisturizing for me and enlarge my already big pores. Moisturizers designed for oily skin are not moisturizing enough for me and make it look dull as a result. This is one of the very few products that I have tried that provides just the right amount of moisturizer to my skin without breaking me out or make my pores appear larger. Although it doesn't have a lot of fancy ingredients in it, the fact that it balances my skin out makes it look nice. On days when I need extra moisture, I'll just pat on some Avon Maximum Moisture Super Hydrating Gel (another great product for combination skin) on the dry spots and wake up to dewy, soft skin. Lately, I've been applying a homemade Vitamin C serum (something I learned from MUA) underneath this moisturizer and the results have been great. The reason I gave this a 4 rating instead of a 5 is because, like most people have commented, I wish it would have more anti-aging ingredients in it, but I've learned to work around this by layering the product over a serum. This product is very versatile. Overall, I really like this product and will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2008 1:47:00 PM More reviews by robbieb

This is the best basic moisturizer I've ever used. I've gone through several jars of it. It's my reach-for product when I don't want anti-aging or anything fancy. It's just a very good, comforting moisturizer that's not greasy or thick yet really does the job of hydrating. Would never be without it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Didn't do much for my skin. It absorbed pretty well, but made my skin greasier. But like the MUA-er below me said, it's very boring and doesn't do anything other than sit. I think it contributed to some new zits as well.

Not worth the money. Still searching for my HG moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2007 12:40:00 AM More reviews by kimlovesyooh

this is an okay moisturizer. it did the job, my skin hasn't had one dry patch all winter which it has never been like before, but i found it sort of mediocre and boring. didn't really improve my skin much, left it kinda greasy sometimes. still looking for my HG..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2007 4:50:00 PM More reviews by drnbrown4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is the only moisturizer I use. I love it! I have combination skin, so this is perfect moisturization for my skin. It soaks right into the skin, leaving a non-oily yet hydrating finish. Some people do not like the jar, but I prefer it since you can utilize every last amount of product. It is more economical to buy the 4.0oz jar. There is no scent and it can be used after the herbal blue astrigent lotion (the astrigent flakes up with other moisturizers). Doesn't cause breakouts and has a silky after feel. Great product, will keep repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2007 5:38:00 PM More reviews by xanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I adore this moisturizer. I have combination skin that can be dry and tight feeling on some days, oily on others, and I get hormone and stress induced breakouts on a monthly basis. This moisturizer is the only thing that keeps my crazy skin sane. It provides the right level of moisture whether I'm having an oily day or a dry day. I use it in the day and before I go to bed. When I started using it about three years ago, I found a dramatic difference in my skin when I woke up after applying it before bed. My skin was plumper (in a good way) and had a more even tone. I've been using it ever since. It can make the skin a little shiny, but in more of a dewy/glow-y way rather than an oh-my-god-someone-get-that-girl-an-oil-blotting-sheet way. Also, it can be used in combination with other products from other brands without trouble. I use the Proactive system at night, and this moisturizer works very well with it and helps combat the dryness that Proactive causes. One thing: keep it away from your eye area. When I get too zealous with the application I sometimes get it close to the outer corners of my eyes which causes some minor irritation. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2007 5:59:00 PM More reviews by scapluv

I have pretty oily skin, and it's difficult to find a moisturizing creme that moisturizes sufficiently moisturizes without making my skin feel greasy. For oily skin, most of the time it's a trade-off between "moisturizing but greasy and heavy" and "oil-free but not as effective". Sodium PCA hits just the right balance and is absolutely THE BEST of all the 10+ different kinds of moisturizers I've tried. A lot of "oil-free" moisturizers are too runny and doesn't absorb into the skin, but Sodium PCA instantly absorbs and works like a charm. It leaves my skin soft and supple, but not greasy or shiny. Makeup goes on smoothly without any caking, which happens with greasier cremes. No breakouts either. At $25.50 of a 4 oz. jar, it's not cheap, but a lot more affordable than other dept. store cremes. I'm on my fourth jar and going!