Kiehl's Sodium PCA Oil Free Moisturizer

3.2

on 5/30/2008 2:24:00 AM

As many of the reviewers have noted, this product didn't really do much. The packaging is just a plastic tub and there is no nice smelling scent to the cream. It didn't feel nice on my skin after application and ended up irritating it. Fortunately I got a refund but won't be buying again.

on 5/19/2008 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this product for about a month. At first, it was nicely hydrating and didn't make my skin too oily. I would typically apply, then wait 10 minutes or so for the product to absorb well before applying makeup. After about 2 weeks, I started getting little zits on my forehead and cheeks. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the skin was completely clogged! I stopped using the cream and my skin is starting to clear up. I also deducted a lippie since this has no SPF. For the record, my skin is combination/oily, sensitive, with occasional breakouts.

on 4/22/2008 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have used this product for a couple of years. I am very oily and this was the only thing that did not make me greasy after an hour. I like that I can finally use a thick cream even though I have oily skin. I mostly use it after I have used a mask or on the weekends when I am not going to wear makeup. I have not broken out because of it.

on 3/5/2008 10:44:00 PM

The creme absorbs fast and smooth, but doesn't moisturize noticeably - I'll dry and flake as much as ever.
Also, like most "oil-free" vanishing-type cremes it's based on Myristyl Alcohol and Isopropyl Isostearate, two synthetic deeply penetrating oils which can be very comedogenic.
(If you doubt that it contains oils, do the brown-paper-bag-test - leave a pea-sized amount on one over night and check for oil rings in the morning. The wider the oil rings, the more penetrating & comedogenic the oils.)
I used to love their Ultra Facial Moisturizer more than anything but they changed the formula - good bye sodium hyaluronate, hello myristyl alcohol. Now I'm down to aloe gel and jojoba oil again...

(For the record I have acne-prone combination skin, use benzoyl peroxide gel, and sometimes flake from that.)

on 2/18/2008 4:04:00 PM

This is a very good basic moisturizer for my combination skin which is both dry and oily as well as acne-prone with large pores. Moisturizers made for dry skin are too moisturizing for me and enlarge my already big pores. Moisturizers designed for oily skin are not moisturizing enough for me and make it look dull as a result. This is one of the very few products that I have tried that provides just the right amount of moisturizer to my skin without breaking me out or make my pores appear larger. Although it doesn't have a lot of fancy ingredients in it, the fact that it balances my skin out makes it look nice. On days when I need extra moisture, I'll just pat on some Avon Maximum Moisture Super Hydrating Gel (another great product for combination skin) on the dry spots and wake up to dewy, soft skin. Lately, I've been applying a homemade Vitamin C serum (something I learned from MUA) underneath this moisturizer and the results have been great. The reason I gave this a 4 rating instead of a 5 is because, like most people have commented, I wish it would have more anti-aging ingredients in it, but I've learned to work around this by layering the product over a serum. This product is very versatile. Overall, I really like this product and will repurchase.

on 1/26/2008 1:47:00 PM

This is the best basic moisturizer I've ever used. I've gone through several jars of it. It's my reach-for product when I don't want anti-aging or anything fancy. It's just a very good, comforting moisturizer that's not greasy or thick yet really does the job of hydrating. Would never be without it.

on 1/14/2008 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Didn't do much for my skin. It absorbed pretty well, but made my skin greasier. But like the MUA-er below me said, it's very boring and doesn't do anything other than sit. I think it contributed to some new zits as well.

Not worth the money. Still searching for my HG moisturizer.

on 12/27/2007 12:40:00 AM

this is an okay moisturizer. it did the job, my skin hasn't had one dry patch all winter which it has never been like before, but i found it sort of mediocre and boring. didn't really improve my skin much, left it kinda greasy sometimes. still looking for my HG..

on 12/2/2007 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the only moisturizer I use. I love it! I have combination skin, so this is perfect moisturization for my skin. It soaks right into the skin, leaving a non-oily yet hydrating finish. Some people do not like the jar, but I prefer it since you can utilize every last amount of product. It is more economical to buy the 4.0oz jar. There is no scent and it can be used after the herbal blue astrigent lotion (the astrigent flakes up with other moisturizers). Doesn't cause breakouts and has a silky after feel. Great product, will keep repurchasing.

on 11/10/2007 5:38:00 PM

I adore this moisturizer. I have combination skin that can be dry and tight feeling on some days, oily on others, and I get hormone and stress induced breakouts on a monthly basis. This moisturizer is the only thing that keeps my crazy skin sane. It provides the right level of moisture whether I'm having an oily day or a dry day. I use it in the day and before I go to bed. When I started using it about three years ago, I found a dramatic difference in my skin when I woke up after applying it before bed. My skin was plumper (in a good way) and had a more even tone. I've been using it ever since. It can make the skin a little shiny, but in more of a dewy/glow-y way rather than an oh-my-god-someone-get-that-girl-an-oil-blotting-sheet way. Also, it can be used in combination with other products from other brands without trouble. I use the Proactive system at night, and this moisturizer works very well with it and helps combat the dryness that Proactive causes. One thing: keep it away from your eye area. When I get too zealous with the application I sometimes get it close to the outer corners of my eyes which causes some minor irritation. Highly recommended.

Popular Moisturizers