August 1, 2014 | 1706 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2013 7:28:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It is very difficult to write a review for such an iconic fragrance that must have a left a trace in almost every perfume lovers life, be it positive or negative. I have seen people who perceive it as the utmost expression of sex appeal, it was Monroe’s fragrance!, people who perceive as a symbol of proper, classic chic as well as people who run for the hills as soon as they hear the name. Here on MUA, it is one of the most reviewed fragrances with 894 reviews in 12 years whereas it is not among the top 10 favourite fragrances of any age group. Still, with so many variations, formulations and reformulations over the years, I do not think these offer us a clear-cut idea about No.5 as trying to find out who is talking about which formulation could be a long-winded pursuit. Perhaps it is the best to try it to discover whether you love it, hate it or are indifferent.

My own experience over the years shows me that I definitely prefer newer formulations of Chanel 5 because I have a big difficulty with civet and modernised versions are definitely cleaner – although for some of us, also lacking character. Today, I perceive Chanel No. 5 as a very very attractive aldehydic fragrance that is somewhere between aldehydes with more of a vintage feel – my dear Farouche- and those with a cleaner vibe – my beloved Rive Gauche. Somewhere between these two, Chanel No.5 manages to handle both formal situations and casual jeans and a white shirt extremely well. On my skin aldehydes create a clean, radiant vibe which is not sharp at all. Together with a softspoken rose, Chanel No. 5 becomes both very comfortable and elegant, with some very expensive floral soap feeling somewhere. It is not as golden or luxurious as Amouage Gold or Caleche and neither is it as white as Rive Gauche. If it were a colour, I think it would be bronze with rosy undertones. I can see how it may become a skin scent for some while it is worn like jewellery by others.

It is soft with low sillage on my skin - I use No.5 cautiously- but has good lasting power.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Annalouise91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just love this scent. It's a timeless classic. I will repurchase this over & over. You have to be careful not to spray too much, one or two sprays is all you need or it is way to strong. It's expensive but hay it's Chanel ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 9:27:00 AM More reviews by charmedbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the current formulation of the Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum.

There is a reason Marilyn Monroe only wore drops of Chanel No. 5 to bed. It is probably the most romantic perfume I've ever smelled. The roses are very prominent to me, but they are clean roses. Like gorgeous rose soaps (the aldehydes often create a soapy, clean smell). This fragrance is so feminine and womanly. I love to wear this during the day, but it is definitely fitted for a romantic evening with your special someone, so I try not to wear it too often. It is made even more special when you layer this with the No. 5 Velvet Body Cream.

For those people saying this smells "old lady", I'd be happy to smell like any "old lady" who wears this, because she surely must be elegant, sophisticated, feminine, and timelessly classic.

Chanel No. 5 is my signature, along with Coco Noir, as they both reflect different parts of my personality. Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5, is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

I will always have a bottle of No. 5 and the body cream on hand. The epitome of romance and luxury.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by makeupjulia1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Can't believe I paid so much for this!!!

Not "old lady," but not the trendy, fruity/floral stuff we're use to today. Some others described it like this.

I just didn't like the smell. It wasn't horrid but it wasn't worth the 120 dollars I paid for this!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very classic adelhyde fragrance.

This is unique in the sense that its not super flowery and its also not musky.

This is an ok fragrance but nothing special at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have always loved this. In the past I went through bottles of it but stopped wearing it for a long time when I couldn't afford it. Now I have a bottle of the perfume and remember why I liked it so much. I like its mystery and find it lasts a very long time on my skin. A tiny spritz does it. It might not be an everyday scent for some but I wear it no matter where I am going.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2013 5:44:00 AM More reviews by Biioniic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have never understand the hype behind this, it smells of old people? Except it being Chanel, I don't see how it's got so many glowing reviews...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2013 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

I truly have never understood all the hype with this perfume. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of a very old man's cologne mixed with burned band-aids or something. Awful. I have also never got a pleasant sniff of anyone who was wearing it. One day I saw an old friend of mine... and I asked her when perfume she was wearing (so I would NOT ever even think of smelling it in the store), and guess what it was? You guessed it.
This is just not for me, but Chanel must be doing something right because it's been iconic for generations.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by kbono23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

HG! love this classic, timeless fragrance! wear it all day, everyday! beautiful package, lovely staying power! have soap, moisture mist, body oil, body creme and hair mist as well! ♥♡♥♡

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My review is for the parfum. According to Luca Turin, the EdP is a reconstruction from the 80's by Jacques Polge and contains Polysantal (a synthetic sandalwood). The EdT is allegedly from the 50's and the parfum is supposed to be closest to the original. What makes the parfum stand out for me is a much richer floral heart, smoother aldehydes, and a less musky but creamier base. All together the parfum is more plush and seductive.

Every bit as daring and divisive as it was in 1921 when first released, No. 5 is truly one of the greats. A study of carefully judged contrasts that seem to meld into one euphoric expression, it is one of the most beautiful and cerebral perfumes I have ever smelled. First and foremost are the aldehydes which create a dramatic synthetic/modern/abstract counterpoint to the lush and very real heart of jasmine and rose de mai. One of the most beautiful floral accords I have ever smelled, the rose de mai is cool, fresh, and myrrh like with no trace of citrus. The jasmine is rich yet transparent and hypnotic without being indolic. This ultra feminine heart rests on a pristine, almost masculine base of vetiver soap: clean, creamy, and well scrubbed.

The overall effect to my nose is expensive sparkling soap... a strange amalgam of the frictionless and the scintillating, snapping with effervescence. The combination of exciting, exhilarating aldehydes mixing with precious florals and smooth soap is fantastic and unexpected. Dazzling!

It took me a long time to understand No. 5 because all I could smell at first were the aldehydes which struck me as relentlessly chemical and old fashioned. But just as the different concentrations of perfume each have a slightly different take on the same theme, so do the bath products. It was only when I tried the Velvet Body Creme which is more floral and less aldehydic that I began to understand No. 5's appeal.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No