August 1, 2014 | 1307 users online

Powder - Shiseido - Sun Protection Compact Foundation [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

RE-FORMULATED. Please find reviews for the new formula here:

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 3:49:00 PM More reviews by beibeilei

I LOVE this powder foundation!! I have been using it for a few years now and nothing can compare. Every time I use this, I get many compliments on my porcelain and flawless skin. It's so natural most people don't know I am using foundation. A one step finish for high SPF sunscreen and foundation! The finishing look is beautiful~ once the foundation sets in with the natural oils on your skin, it looks even better! The bright blue case is small and very convenient. It has a mirror and a separate compartment for the sponge that comes with the refill foundation. The sponge is great for both application and touch up. This is a great product!! For the few years I've been using this..I have not had one complaint.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by Catloveschanel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well, I waited a bit before writing. This is working for me. I am a little obsessed with two large pores, and this covers if I dab just right. Once more, it stays all day. I do have a desk job, but I do take a brisk 1/2 hour walk downtown everyday to visit Nordstroms and Sephora. Believe me, I walk fast. Once and a while I go to Macy's, it's a little bit father, and the Lancome SA helped me, as the Shiseido rep was out. She was brilliant enough to think to match my freckles, not my porcelain undertones. So we settle on i40. Then I got the advanced liquid compact instead of the SPF, so I had to take it back. (It worked very well, too, but only has an SPF of 15.) Then I got another good SA who also agreed I was an i40. She left me flawless. I was able to apply it myself for a flawless, yet sheer look.

My bf picked me up after a long day, and he said, "oh, you're not wearing makeup. You're skin looks beautiful" This is what he says when I don't wear makeup, as he dislikes it, but he does realize I'm on the search for the foundation holy grail.

So it does cover my pores, and it doesn't settle into my "Fine lines and wrinkles". Thank you very much, nicolethediva for the tip.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2009 5:15:00 AM More reviews by lepetitrouge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this foundation for the last three years, and can't imagine using anything else.

I always used Revlon Colour Stay foundations, until I decided I wanted to find something that matches my skin tone better, and doesn't require so much blending with a moist sponge to achieve a natural effect.

I use the shade SP80 - this is probably not the same shade as in other countries. I'm from Australia, and this shade seems to be one of the lightest. I stayed for a few months in Switzerland, and the codes for the different shades were all different, and they had nothing nearly as light as what I need. The shades were all indeed too orange and dark (I ended up buying a really pale MAC powder foundation instead). I guess we must have better shades on offer for the sun protection range, because it's so hot and sunny in Australia ;-)

I like this product because:

* You don't need to use much to achieve good coverage (I never need to 'layer' this foundation). One application is sufficient - it even covers the dark circles under my eyes (sans concealer).
    * Somehow, when combined with your skin's natural oils, it creates a very natural, dewy effect. It also looks very nice when first applied (a silky, matte look).
    * The staying power is considerable, even after swimming and exercising. I only need to re-apply on my nose (most often if I've been wiping it too vigorously with a tissue ;-)
    * SPF30, and it has not made me break out in little red bumps like other sunscreens (even when used in conjunction with Shiseido's sunscreen for sensitive skin).
    * On occasion, I've left this foundation on over night, and it never gives me pimples. Granted, I don't do this very often, but I would never have been willing to leave the Revlon Colour-Stay stuff on my face overnight.
    *When used in conjunction with Shiseido's slightly green coloured corrector stick, my complexion looks like porcelain. However, some other concealers tend to look cakey - stick to the lighter ones when using this foundation. Stay away from the thick, long-wearing ones. Besides, I don't think much concealer is really required when using this foundation anyway.

The only con is that on some days (depending on the condition of my skin, or if I have been lazy with my skin care regime) it can look a little dry and powdery. Sometimes I think this is because I have used a poor quality moisturiser, that is not well absorbed into my skin, and the powder cling to it, and thus looks cakey.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2009 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Trunks

I tried this in SP40 as a potential substitute for my MAC Studio Finish in C4.

Pros:

- The colour match for me is just as good as the MAC C4 - other reviewers have noted that it goes well with skin that has yellow undertones, which I do have (medium tan Asian) so maybe that's why.

- The SPF30+ factor was the main reason I tried this as I gave up using sunscreen under my makeup as it was causing me breakouts (small hard white bumps that turn into big sore red pimples that don't pop!) as well as that shiny look you can't avoid with wearing sunscreen.

- Cute and sturdy compact that's really portable to carry in your handbag

- Don't need a lot of product for coverage (which is good because you don't get much for the amount you pay).

Cons:

- It goes on feeling rather dry and does settles into a nice finish, which is just as good as MAC SF - BUT only where your skin is great. This powder tends to emphasize dry patches or areas where I've needed to use more concealer to cover spots. Blending these areas for a 'perfect' face is not really working. I've even tried experimenting with powder first-concealer after application but it's just not working for me.

- My skin is dry and getting irritated by this product after a week of trying this powder out. Not breaking me out badly but is very drying and beginning to irritate to the point I just can't ignore - skin is just not happy (here we go again).

- Price you pay for the amount of product you get is disappointing, considering the finish is not that great. It's much smaller than the MAC SF for an extra $AU4. Also my MAC lasted me for over a year and I'm not sure how long this will last before needing replacement.

All in all, I really wished that this product would work for me as summers in Adelaide Australia are really hot and would have loved to solve the sunscreen/makeup problem that's not doing my skin any favours. Looks like I just have to try and search for a sunscreen that won't break me out/clog my pores or powder with SPF that provides a nice finish and doesn't irritate my skin (if such a thing exists - maybe I'll just start wearing hats!)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2009 8:51:00 AM More reviews by titina206

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This powder foundation can be used wet (for more coverage) or dry (for light coverage).
    Feels light and stays matte. I use shade SP60 (I also have shade SP50 but it has a pink undertone).
    I like this foundation because it blends well with my skin tone.
    And apart from all the benefits it have because protects from the rays UVA/UVB, I also love the blue pancake! And it is so easy to carry it arround... does not look like make up if you have it in your purse.
    I will buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2009 11:03:00 AM More reviews by katana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm very fair, and burn easily. I've been using this product for over a decade, and keep coming back to it. And I love it! I agree it's not the best powder foundation in the world, but it really shields your skin - which is why I use it. If a face cream should protect your skin all day, you'd need to apply far more than you would a normal cream - just as sun cream needs to be applied thicker than a bodylotion. And it's a lot easier to reapply a powder when you're out than a cream!

So if you burn easily, need reliable protection and would like the chance to easily apply through the day, this is an excellent choice. If you're looking for a good foundation and the SPF is just a nice bonus, it might not be the best choice for you.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by crumpet71

I'm so disappointed. I wanted so badly to love this product with its easy application and high spf. It just looks too obvious on the skin, too thick/heavy, even when applying with a brush. Actually it looked good on my cheeks only but the forehead and chin were a loss. It moves on my face and is not as stay put as others have noted it was for them. I'm returning it today.

I've decided for the spf I can stick with my MAC Prep and Prime with spf 50 and use Palladio as a powder foundation. It's 3 times as good for a third of the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2009 9:02:00 PM More reviews by MaggieN

I've been using the powder since last summer, but recently stop cause the sun is not too strong now. I like the protection and the ingredients. I color is not great, I use sp 40 color, it looks darker in compact but becomes lighter when applied on the face. The colors look ashy to me, I went back to shiseido later to try on different colors, I tried sp 60, which is probably more match for me in the summer, but I still think the color looks ashy, it's seem like it doesn't really brighten your face like other regular powder, probably because of the sunscreen. I probably would only use this now if I'm expose to the sun for a long period of time, I wouldn't use it regularly since I don't like that it make my face look ashy or that it doesn't really match my skintone well. My nc 35 by the way in Mac Fix.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by spacepretty

I didn't like this foundation at first because it looked very cakey. I decided to give it one more try and used my brush to apply instead of the sponge. I love the effect! People commented that my skin was glowing. Give it some time to set and it will give you a flawless look.
    If you don't have time to wait for it to set, spritz some mac charged water and it looks so great! My pores are less obvious and evens out my skin. I also like the fact that it has a high SPF content and it didn't break me out. This is a good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by clk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best powder foundation I have ever purchased hands down.... the staying power of this foundation is fantastic and it goes on so beautifully....the only thing I wish they would improve on is the color selection... it does not accentuate pores and fine lines...lasts all day and is not effected by sebum on the skin.... and the plus is that it has a high spf, what more could you ask for?.... I also seem to have a problem with bismuth oxychloride making me itch when I sweat, this foundation does not contain it which is a plus for anyone who is sensitive to it...