Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse

3.0

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Squalane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyltrimethicone, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Methylparaben, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Silica, BHT, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-):, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), Mica

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Halloween!

I've tried this multiple times over the years since my sister loves it, I kept on thinking that maybe it was just my skin at the time and that as my skin changed and matured I'd understand her love of it but no, it's still as bad now as it ever was for me

I got this two months ago on a whim and because Boots had a 3 for 2 on Maybelline products so I grabbed this and a couple of concealers, none of the shades matched me well but I went for Creamy Natural

It looks like a mask when you apply it, it doesn't matter how little I use, it just looks like a beige face mask, the formula feels kind of greasy and yet powdery at the same time, it's a very strange feeling, the product does blend out well but that feeling on my skin makes me shudder

The product did last longer than it used to, I made it to the three hour mark before my nose looked like an oil slick, that being said three hours is still barely a quarter of my day so I wasn't best pleased, powdering does help a little with the staying power but the product also takes on a cakey and almost sand like apperance

But the worst thing about this stuff, yes it does get worse, is the break out it left me with, my cheeks were mountain ranges, none of the spots would come to a head and were all under my skin, they were swollen and very painful and left big lumps on my cheeks, thankfully they've gone now and the Nightmare Matte Mousse is now in the bin where it belongs

on 4/6/2015 8:07:00 PM

I don't mind the packaging but the problem I have with this product is the formula. It seemed to become dry and clump up in the container which spelled bad news for my face. It seperated on my forehead and nose and couldn't be saved with moisturizer or a beauty blender. I think there are better powder foundations and the "mousse" is just a gimmick.

on 4/5/2015 12:59:00 PM

Absolutely aweful. I had this from 12-14 and was wearing it daily. It caused me horrendious acne, created pores on parches of skin that will now never go away, it looked aweful and caked around dry skin. It has damaged my skin beyond repair please please dont use it!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I bought this on a recommendation and was liking it initially but the love is gone.

At first I thought it made my skin look smooth and soft and perfect. It blended out smoothly and medium coverage. After 3 months it started looking cakey, textured, and was sinking into my laugh lines baaad. I developed some redness on my cheeks a few weeks ago, it's not bad but it doesn't fit with my make-up look, and this foundation doesn't cover it. I have to go over it with my Studio Fix Foundation Fix Plus pressed powder to cover it. I also had to apply/blend it with a sponge from the moment I bought it, it was too streaky with a brush.

The packaging is bulky but it's a pot and you have to stick your finger or something in there to get product out: very unhygienic. (I tried using the handle on my foundation brush, the foundation brush itself, and a sponge to get product it and ended up wasting more product than the hassle was worth.)

I think this is one of those products that gives drugstore products a bad name. Overall, it worked for a bit but I wouldn't buy it again. Even if it is a fraction of the price of my MAC foundations.

on 3/20/2015 3:41:00 AM

I have been struggling to find the right foundation. Never thought it would be Maybelline. But, so far, this seems to be working just fine!! Even better is the price sticker!!

PROS- This shade blends into my skin pretty flawlessly. I am NC15-NC20 and I got the shade Creamy Natural (Light 5). Blends really well and feels so nice on my skin, makes my skin feel like a baby's bottom!! Seems to cover blemishes really well and smooths out pores. Does not "erase" pores (nothing really does, does it..?) but definitely smooths them out and makes them look 'less' in appearance. For me, this does not 'break down' or turn funny colors (oxidize) or make me look oily nor dry. If there is any scent, I do not detect it, and my nose (and skin) can be pretty sensitive. So far, no breakouts with this, either. YAY!!!

CONS-The packaging. While this does feel nice in the hands and is compact, I am just not a fan of dipping my fingers or brush into the product itself. I guess it might be hard to put this into a pump bottle..? I don't know, just not a fan of the foundation-pot-application. Also, I did have some very slight itching in a couple of spots the first day I wore this. Again, my skin is very sensitive, so there is that. But I have not had any breakouts yet from this (and will certainly update if I do, or if anything changes).

As always, when I test a product, I test it on it's own. I tested this for 3 days, each day wearing this alone, no blush, no powder, no primer, nothing. I like to see how my skin will truly react to a product and how well it performs on it's own. All in all, I quite like this. I never would have thought to try Maybelline, but my mom used to use Maybelline, and being sentimental, and had been hearing some good reviews on this (from friends and local people here, not online), I figured why not give it a shot..? So far I have been pleasantly surprised!! The past few months have been a a bit of a struggle trying to find the 'right' foundation, as I have been told by many that I have oily or oily/combo skin, yet about 8 foundations (both HE and DS) I have tried give me alligator-scale nose and cling to my dry patches yet still would often make my forehead a shiny oily mess mid-day. This seems to, so far, keep my skin 'in-check' and not do any of that 'bad' stuff. I do want to investigate to see if there is some recommended way to store these, as I have a bit of a feeling these might dry out fast. So, there again, the packaging comes into play. I am okay enough completely washing my hands before and after using this, but there is just that one little 'quirk'. Still, so far this has been 5-stars. Will definitely post back with any updates. Which, for me, will just be personal, as my skin has just been wonky lately. But so far, very pleased and very pleasantly surprised by this!!!

on 3/11/2015 4:32:00 AM

This is my favorite drugstore foundation I've used so far. I apply it with my real techniques complexion sponge and they work great together! It feels light but still covers what I need covered.

on 3/9/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this foundation for my graduation since I wanted to do my own makeup. When applied initially, the shade I got matched my skin. But as the event went by, it oxidized on me and turned too dark. I didn't mind it at all since it gave me a flawless finish hence my blemishes and break outs. But then I got oily for after 4-5 hrs. As to not waste the product, I tried using it everyday and boy, was that the wrong decision I made. My blemishes and break outs got worse so I stopped using it.

on 3/5/2015 8:35:00 AM

I am on the fence with this mousse. I am approaching 50 and I love mousse makeup mainly due to the texture and buildable coverage ability. My favorite brand was discontinued and I came upon this one. The package is deceiving. The jar seems to contain enough for about a week but there is plenty in the little jar to justify the price. I am very fair so I chose the lightest color available. Most of the available shades have pink undertones but this works well for me. If you have no pink undertones, stay away from this. YOU MUST HAVE EXFOLIATED SKIN TO USE THIS PRODUCT SUCCESSFULLY!! This is a must because the mousse formula will show every flake and dry patch you have. It will also settle into any line or crease. I exfoliate twice a week and have regular spa facials. If I did not there is no way I could use this. I also use moisturizer about a half hour before I use it in the morning so using it to dash out the door may be risky. Overall, it performs well. It lasts all day for me when I use translucent powder and setting spray on top of it. It does have a funny smell but that may just be noticeable to me. I will repurchase this but I also have other foundations to use when I am in a hurry or when my skin is a little darker in the summer.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

One word: BUH-BYE. first of all, this is about as matte as a foundation could get. I don't enjoy having to do a full face for everyday, just some foundation, powder, blush and some mascara. WITH THIS, you look like a corpse. It literally makes the colour and dimension in ones face disappear, so if you wear this you're gonna have to contour, highlight ... Etc. Colours are deceiving, they're a lot more orange / pink and dark then they look like based on the cap. In my opinion, this product is awful. It has good coverage but I mean that's what masks do. It will cling to ANY dry spots, dry spots you didn't know you had, it cakes up around the nose (I even exfoliated) AND it accentuates your pours... Awful. Needless to say if Maybelline discontinues this I will not be depressed at all.

on 2/27/2015 4:49:00 AM

Hate it. Hate it. Hate it!
It's so thick, it felt like I was spreading peanut butter on my face. I tried applying it with a foundation brush, a stippling brush, a fluffy brush, a sponge, a beauty blender and my fingers...nothing made a difference. No matter how little product I used or how well I blended it, it always ended up looking like I was wearing a mask. Which again, I think is down to how thick the product is. It's not a "breathable" foundation either. Once it's on, it feels very heavy and sluggish and gross. It transfers onto everything it touches too...I set it with powder and a setting spray, and it still ended up on my clothes, in my hair and on my husband's face. The range of shades at a first glance is very good, but they all have a very orange/pink undertone which is no good for people with very pale, almost translucent skin like me. Even the lightest shade is 3 or 4 shades too dark for me. The packaging is good, and the amount of product you get for your money is very good, but that's totally irrelevant for me because I wouldn't buy it again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

MAYBELLINE Dream Matte Mousse foundation review [has Cancer producing ingredient] by LifeThoughtsCamera