September 18, 2014 | 2020 users online

Hair Treatments - LUSH - Henna - Caca Noir

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2010 12:25:00 PM More reviews by RandomFlopsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started my henna-obsession with Caca Brun: it rescued my terribly overprocessed hair from the chop. The colour wasn't quite deep enough though, and I'd heard good things about the blue reflexes some people were getting from Caca Noir, so I traded up.

I always use two blocks on my short bob so I get at least three uses from a brick, making it super value. The packaging is standard Lush paper, the ingredients natural, so you can feel all smug and eco-friendly.

The process was the same: grate, soak in hot (not boiling) water, stir well and for goodness' sake, wear gloves. I dyed my cuticles a fetching shade of poo-brown for a week by accident... I've always just used plain water when mixing up my henna, never added coffee or vinegar but intend to give that a shot at some point.

I tend to leave mine on for about four hours, that's as long as I can take before I get bored. The washing-out process can be prolonged. You need to shampoo several times or you will stain your sheets that night (and if the colour on those is anything like the accidental nail colour, that's not something you want).

The shine is even better than with Caca Brun. I didn't get a blue tint, but that's just fine as the texture entirely makes up for it. My hair feels really nourished: terribly overused word when describing products, but it's true. It's not a pitch-raven-black on me, but it does deepen with repeated usage. I find I have to do it about once every three months if I want to avoid it lightening into a sort of mahogany shade (nice, but not what I want). Also beware of using on highlighted/pale hair as the results might be slightly more dramatic than anticipated... (ie BRIGHT red).

I would absolutely recommend this as a superior alternative to chemical dyes. I used standard colours (both at home and at the salon) for years and the results I get from the henna are much better. The shine, texture and thickness are glorious: I literally get stopped in the street! Great ego-boost.

EDIT: I left this on overnight. 12 solid hours. It was uncomfortable and I kept waking up panicking my head was leaking. This morning, it's nearly raven-black with blue reflexes. I hope this will deepen further over the next couple of days, but I am very pleased. Finally it's actually *noir*.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2009 1:14:00 AM More reviews by lisavillasmil

I bought this in the lush inside of macys at my local mall. I prepared it according to the instructions. I also youtubed some reviews to really see how to do it. I poured hotttt simmering water on the blocks in a second pan to melt them. It turned into a green paste not quite like yogurt more like whipped. i smoothed it on to my hair piece by piece. first roots (made it easier) then the whole piece. I left it on for about 3.5 hours. It was messy and i would leave crumbs all over the house. but i could tell it was oxidizing because it was turning from green to black. After 3.5 hours i washed it out and it was like waxy. Tomorrow im going to wash it again i just want the henna to really penetrate in there. so i didnt shampoo i just used conditioner. Now its really soft but as for the color it didnt "dye" it didnt do too good of a job of that.... Maybe i should have left it in longer but i was so anxious! I have read reviews where people have put a pinch of salt to enhance the indigo or some olive oil to give moisture. I did neither. :/ . Overall my hair is alot softer and shinier but not darker. Ill see what happens in the next few days. :) Supposedly it gets darker or something. Ive read so many reviews! :) Thanks for reading :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2009 1:51:00 PM More reviews by elysiamarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted something more natural to dye my hair with, and I stumbled accross this product. It was very easy to use(for me)and it smelt soo much better than chemical dyes. Kept it in for 4 hours. Worked great. Had really healthy hair, nice and shiny. The only problem I had with it was that it faded really fast. I understood why this happened, I should have dyed it again a day or 2 later. But over all great product and worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2009 8:02:00 PM More reviews by stephisticated

First off, I'm allergic to hair dye, I had a severe reaction to PPD last year and had my face swell up; very terrifying. I vowed never to dye my hair again but this is obviously an exception because it's natural. I have to say the process is pretty annoying but it's very much worth it. I break it down by grating it and then pour hot tap water over it and mix it into the paste. Honestly, I actually like the smell of it unlike most people. It smells like tea and coffee and I don't find it offensive. I use 3 cubes, leave it on for 3 hours and it gives awesome results. I have a kind of mousy - medium brown hair colour and it turns it into a nice, deep chestnut brown colour and makes it extremely shiny and healthy.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2009 6:11:00 PM More reviews by blueskies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally brown/auburn. I've dyed it black a couple times in the past (with standard, chemical dyes) and while I liked the look, I felt bad about putting harsh products in my hair. I had tried a henna/indigo mix once in the past with little success, but decided to give Lush's version a chance. The preparation and application process is not that bad. I only need two squares (out of six in the bar) to cover my entire head. I grated them using an ordinary cheese grater. I then put the powder in a glass bowl and mixed with a ceramic spoon, using only water as per the instructions. Now the first time I did this, I used water heated up in a pan, to just before boiling point. The second time, after reading on Lush's website that heat is actually detrimental to indigo, I just used hot water straight from the tap, which proved to be hot enough (more on that later).

On to the application. That part was fairly easy. I have fine hair and not that much of it so covering everything was no big deal. Keeping the stuff for 6 hours was a bit more annoying. The smell is not terrible, but not quite pleasant either, and it is strong. As the mixture dries it gets really hard and sandy (I let it air-dry, no cling film). The biggest pain about the Caca is getting rid of it. I stayed under the shower head for a while, to at least get my hair moving again. Then I used a lot of conditioner, rinsed, conditioned again, rinsed, shampooed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. It takes a *lot* of time, especially in my shower which has no pressure!

And... yes, as implied above, I did the whole thing twice. In three days. As I said, my natural hair is not particularly dark, so after a single application, it had turned a rich dark brown, but not dark enough to my liking. I had read that multiple uses would progressively lead to darker results, so I braced myself and repeated the whole thing. After the second time, my hair was really dark. Not the "blackest of blacks", but very dark, black under most lightings. Overall I am satisfied at the results. The colour is nice, the product doubles as a pretty good conditioning treatment, and is 100% natural. Now I wonder how long it'll stay. I will update.

Update: It's been a little more than a week now, and the colour has already faded quite a bit. I don't wash my hair every day, and I don't use harsh shampoos, so I don't see why this would fade so fast. I'll use the last two squares of Caca Noir I've got in a couple of days, and see how that goes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 9:56:00 PM More reviews by muppitonastring

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was drawn to this since it is ready mixed with other stuff and is available near me. If I had more money, I would do what the henna enthusiasts do and get super sifted Jamila etc and make my own blend. The SA convinced me to get Noir as opposed to Brun because I have dark brown hair anyway and she said that Brun would barely have an effect. I wish I had gone with my instinct and got Brun instead. I’m not too fond of the blueness of Indigo, I feel it looks very harsh on me even though I have dark features and olive skin, I need warmth with my hair and I am badly missing my natural hair colour now :(

I have waist-long fine untreated hair and got this purely to diminish the 50 or so grey wiry hairs on either side on my head. I have used henna and indigo separately a few years ago and preferred henna because it gave a blended natural look. Anyway, the Caca Noir has made little difference to my grey hairs, individually they are *slightly* less bright than usual but because the rest of my hair is darker now, they are still very noticeable. I know that henna is not going to completely cover greys like PPD dyes, but this henna had a negligible effect. My mum uses Pakistani red henna (very bright red that I’m scared to use) that her nice friend got her and she gets very good coverage on her hair which is all grey…so I have seen that it is possible to cover grey hairs with henna. Maybe red henna is more effective than indigo in covering greys? Caca Noir is more indigo than red henna. I kept the Noir on for 4 hours, the label suggested 1-4 hrs and I thought leaving it on for longer would give a really rich colour. I also wrapped with clingfilm as suggested (and added a scarf on top to keep everything in place) in order to make the colour more red as opposed to brown…but I have to look hard to see the redness. If you want a black tint to your hair and greys are not an issue, then great, this works, try it.

There is a lot of contradictory information about how to use henna generally and these Lush ones are no exception. Everyone here comments that boiling water should not be used but that is what Lush instructs to use. Some are saying that the mixture should be kept on for 6 or 8 hours whereas Lush say 1-4 hours, in the literature that I got. I find it quite confusing and trial and error seems like the only way to go about it. The henna process is very messy and laborious but I would happily accept that if I got decent results because I’m not willing to use commercial PPD dyes. I did get a really bad headache with this as well but again, I would tolerate that for a good result. I don’t know if it was the weight on my head, the head-wrapping, the essential oils or the ‘perfume’ in this that gave me the headache. I have pretty shiny hair anyway since it is untreated so I didn’t even see a marked difference in that regard. I am kind of hesitant to try the Brun because of this experience. I had pretty good results with The Body Shop’s brown henna once so I might just go back to that.

By the way, I broke this into smaller pieces before adding the water and it was still pretty hard to mix, so I think the grating advice is spot on to get a smooth mixture quickly. I also found it was a good idea to swish my hair around in a bucket of water before shampooing this out in order to get the clumps out easily and avoid causing a blockage in my bathtub (I poured the clumpy henna water down the toilet instead). £6.80 in the UK for 325g/6 cubes. On waist-length hair 6 cubes was enough.

Ingredients: Indigo, Coca Butter, Red Henna, Irish Moss Powder, Clove Bud Oil, *Citral, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume. *occurs naturally in essential oils.

Sorry for the really long review but I wanted to mention what I thought was important :p

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2009 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Sim_Arik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product didn't work too well for me in terms of getting a black uniform color. Right after I washed henna and dried my hair I didn't notice any results what so ever. Only the next day I realized that it kinda added the reddish tone to my hair which could be seen on the sun. After couple of washes I noticed hair getting a tiny bit darker but it is very insignificant. I was holding this mess on my head for 6 hours just like instructions said, added a bit of olive oil to the mixture as an extra moisturizer for hair since henna can cause drying effect. The only thing I could have done wrong was dissolving Caca with boiled water as opposed to the hot tap water (I wish I read reviews here before dying my hair) so that could possibly interfere with the indigo. I still have 3 cubes left so I'm gonna give it another try when I have 6 free hours, this time using tap water, to see if it works. If not then I'll have to look for other alternatives.

On the positive side, my hair felt much stronger and it is still very shiny (and I dyed it 2 weeks ago) so I do recommend it as a hair treatment once in a while, it does make roots stronger.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2009 12:59:00 PM More reviews by happylynngilmer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: this stuff seems to fade pretty fast compared to mehendi.com's bundle. I've returned to mehendi.

I don't like grating this, but due to the indigo and it's fast dye release, I don't like it sitting in hot water. It takes a ton of rinsing/washing to get it out, but OH the color. I am in love with the color. 3 cubes does a full-head. Caca Noir is one shade from darkest black possible, with nearly NO red at all. Just in the sunlight. $21 for 6 cubes at LUSH. (not local, but within driving distance).

So....I grate it with a plastic (not metal!) cheese grater from Save Mart. Add to it a pinch of salt. Add hot tap water, mix with wooden spoon, apply. Wrap in saran wrap, and cover with a beanie. Let sit for 3 hours. Rinse rinse rinse. Rinse more. Then I use diltued shampoo to get the rest out because Suave conditioner just sticks to the cocoa butter and makes chunky hair. But the shampoo DOES NOT affect my color AT ALL.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2008 10:37:00 AM More reviews by smudged_eyeliner

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

YUCK. Im sorry to bring the rating down, but to me, this was horrendous. I wont describe how I used it (as everyone else has done a good job of describing how to use it) my hair was dark brown before i used this and only slightly darker afterwards. Yes it was shiny, but my hair is shiny anyway and it was such a chore putting it on, especially when the results are rubbish. Once it was on my hair, the smell was pretty bad, but the worst part was when i tried to rinse it out, it took FOREVER, it literally felt like someone had backcombed my hair as much as they could and then dumped mud mixed with gravel into my hair, it was so tatty, it was ridiculous, it triggered a HUGE migraine (one of the worst ive had) I had put it on my hair early in the day because my fiance and I had a special night out planned that evening.....we had to cancel because my migraine, due to this product, was so horrendous. After I finally rinsed my hair, I literally could not get a comb or brush through my hair, my hair has never been as tatty as that, it was almost matted. Im glad to know im not the only one to have suffered a migraine due to this awful product. I cant help but wonder how I hated it so much, when it has good reviews...perhaps is because my hair is long and very thick, maybe thats why it didnt work as I followed to instructions to the letter, but if thats the case Lush should warn people on the label. This is one of the worst products Ive ever used...my head hurts just thinking about it. Its a shame because ive loved every product ive ever used from Lush (their bath bombs are to die for!) but i wont be touching this ever again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 7:40:00 AM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just wanted to add my comments to those already posted. This is a terrific henna. When mixed properly it has a creamy pudding texture that distributes very easily through the hair. Don't bother with the cheese grater, just take a large heavy bladed kitchen knife and scrape it off. This goes very quickly and spares your knuckles!! I wrap my hair, only because the henna will dry on your head and then shed little specks throughout the house if you don't. I do believe, however, that allowing the henna to dry on the head exposed to the air acheives darker less red results. I think it is important to wash hair first with a good clarifying shampoo so there is no residue on hair to prevent the product adhering to the hair. I don't shampoo the henna out of my hair. I use a cheap conditioner and comb and rinse it through several times. I think when it is freshly done, the colour is less stable and washing immediately with soap removes it before it has a chance to mature on the hair. Your hair may look slightly oily doing this, so don't plan on a big night out. Shampoos the next day with a colour sparing shampoo (I like TIGI Thick Massive Hair) I agree with the other reviewers also, the colour will be at its truest approx. 3 days later (it will darken) This is a heavenly dark brown black. No granny Blue Black here. I got no green from this like I have from the Colora black henna. Also too, unlike other hennas, using boiling water WILL interfere with the development of the indigo and render your product almost useless. Hot tap water only please.

Gorgeous shine and enhanced body. The colour fades gradually and left no demarcation line in my med/dark hair.

Oh, and when they say not for use on light hair, "they ain't kidding". I've heard that using black henna on blond hair results in turqoise!

Henna is a pain in the neck to do, time consuming, fiddly, messy, but it is the best alternative for those wishing to avoid chemicals. Hmmmm, I think I'll go throw some on now!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No