LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

on 4/3/2010 5:48:00 AM

I have baby fine thin dark dark brown hair with no greys (yet) and colour my hair to get extra body and shine - I like my natural colour. Have been using Casting colour for this, very effective(!) giving more texture, body, shine, and more depth of colour. Problem is, even though this is a semi the condition of my hair was deteriorating with each colour application. I read the reviews (thanks girls!) and decided to try the Lush henna (over buying henna and indigo separately). So I was prepared, I knew it would be messy, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as a squeezy tube of gel. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I grated 2 squares (I have a short bob) and mixed with freshly brewed coffee until it was like cake mixture and heating gently over a bain-marie. Left mixture over low heat until colour changed from green to almost black and then applied. I applied in the kitchen in front of a massive mirror (taken off the wall) using just gloves and a towel around my shoulders. I am not sure that I applied it terribly evenly but it turned out even. I didn't want to wrap it as I didn't want red in it but I put a shower cap over it to stop the shedding. I had to put a hat on in the end as I needed to go to B&Q before my 4 hours was up.
Rinsing was a bit of a chore but not as bad as other's experienced. I have a powerful shower and think this helped. I washed twice using my normal shampoo and conditioned and that was it. When I dried it my hair was dark almost black with a tiny bit of red. It did get darker over the next 2-3 days but only slightly. The shine is just incredible, like glass. I've never had hair this shiny. It doesn't feel soft and baby fine anymore but feels thicker with more texture and body - Yay!. Some people say that their hair gets drier, if you already have thick coarse hair that might be a problem but not for me :-) I will definitely do this again when it needs it and won't bother with chemical dye (unless this stuff doesn't cover grey when I need it). Also, not sure how this will fade, hope it doesn't go reddy, but if it does I will just do it again. What will I do differently next time? Well I won't use coffee coz I got a bit of a headache, I won't heat it as many of you say it doesn't need it but I will wait for the mixture to go black, I will make the mixture a bit thinner to make it easier to apply (might be messier though), I will rinse my hair with conditioner and not use shampoo until the next morning as this may give the henna a bit more time to do it's thing. Highly recommended but took off 1 lippy for inconvenience.

on 3/9/2010 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

(ignore the rating coz i havent had the results yet!)

my boyfriend kindly grated and melted down 4 cubes of Caca Noir for me and added half a tsp of salt which makes the colour take to the hair better, i told him exactly how earlier! (with hot but not boiling water) in pyrex bowl, inside a saucepan full of almost boiling water to keep it hot -double boiler- while i applied it to my hair (which is down to my butt and normal thickness, dark brown, i usually use commercial dyes to dye it jet black but wanted a natural change!!), it took a while and was hard to apply coz even though i did it in tiny sections i still felt every single strand wasnt coated, it smelt like a fresh cow pat eww (but suprisingly, boyfriend said it smelt "nice n healthy" lol), im gonna sleep with it on, uncovered for a darker/blue tint coz i dont think red would suit me, using an old black towel and sheets/pillow case tonight!! will update with the results and post an after pic.. see profile for how my hair WAS x

i wanted to sleep with it in but my bf made me wash it off after 4 hours which im disapointed about but o wel..think my hair looks a tiny bit darker and shinier but wasnt worth all that hassle coz its not noticeable to anyone else but me. it still looks greasy but thats because i aint gona use shampoo for 24 hours (so the colour can adhere better..) i washed it out with just water and a good conditioner til the water ran almost clear.. will update on my hair wen its dry.

*update*
super shiny soft black hair. could almost see a reflection in my hair not even kidding lol, an more body. was gawjus. BUT not worth the hassle. it washed out so quickly literally less than 2 weeks n left me with a red tint (an i dont use harsh shampoo or wash it everyday), i did it again since using 2 blocks NOIR 4 blocks BRUN, gave me silky chocolate brown hair for a week.. but now its a faded light brown with REALLY red tints which i hate but cant dye over it coz 1. i dont wanna use henna again and 2. cant use chemicals over it! grrr

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using caca Noir for years and it is amazing! Leaves hair well conditioned with brilliant color and shine! My only advice would be that you need to be patient in not only letting it sit for a long time, but also by allowing it to build up over time with a serious of applications. These will give you the best results.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

First of all, what is it that those of you who say that the amusingly named Caca Noir had no effect whatsoever have been putting on your hair? Surely it cannot be this stuff! I hennad and then indigoed my dark golden blonde hair, hoping to achieve a rich, neither warm nor cool, chocolate brown . Result - very warm, gingery light to medium brown hair and me very pissed off. Bought some Caca Noir a few days later, whacked it on for 5 hours with low expectations and suffice it to say that my hair is now not only dark brown, but so dark it is virtually black, admittedly after an unfortunate 'settling in' 48 hour period of it being coal black with moss green tints under artificial light. But useless it certainly ain't.

Indigoing your hair is one of the most horrificially messy processes known to humanity. Henna is more unpleasant, because it solidifies without drying into a sort of toffee-like cement, and your neck aches like a bitch after 10 minutes, but it fastens itself to your hair and so doesn't tend to drip. Indigo on the other hand clumps and pills into evil clusters, little and large, that tumble all over you and your floors and your furniture and your family members. A fortnight later and the dead skin I scrub off my neck in the bath is still jeans blue, and I am still finding little dried pebbles of the bloody indigo all over my house. They're not lying when they admit that it stains everything, either. Since Caca Noir is mainly indigo, all this applies to it as well to the powdered indigo that I used prior to it.

I grated mine, which took forever but saved me from having to stir it for centuries. I'd heard that boiling water can ruin indigo, so used hot water from the tap. I've deduced that it's very important to achieve the recommended yoghurty consistency - if it's too thick, you'll miss big patches of your head and end up with spotty hair and embarrassment and people laughing at you. I've also deduced that it's vital to let the colour settle for a few days before you decide that it's a disaster. Mine was a fetching shade of dark green for the first 24 hours and jet black with algae-coloured highlights for the following 24. Less than a day later it was deep, dark brown and the highlights were red, presumably from my previous henna session.

It takes forever to rinse, you have been warned. My hair comes halfway down my arms, and 35 minutes after I begun the rinsing stage I was still standing hunched over with my head under the tap, pulling hunks out of my hair like a complete and utter twat. Even when you think it's all done and dusted, you will probably find the water is slightly tinted when you next wash your hair. And you'll need to be wearing clothes that you don't mind ruining forever, and you'll need to scrub the skin on your hairline, ears, neck and shoulders so hard that it nearly comes off. But it will in the end.

When my colour needs a top up, I'll definitely repurchase. The process itself was so messy and exhausting that I surely came within inches of death, but the end result was, is, worth it. I never believed the stories of henna products bettering the condition of hair but after a round of henna, a round of indigo and a round of Caca Noir, my hair is in better condition than it has been since I was 9 or 10 years old. Click continued for pictures.

Natural colour:

After henna and indigo, blowdried straight. It didn't look it in this picture, but it was still very light and gingery, only slightly darker than my natural colour.

After Caca Noir. In natural light it's a little less black and a little more brown. It's a lot darker than I wanted it but I'm getting used to it, slowly.

continued >>

on 1/3/2010 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I started my henna-obsession with Caca Brun: it rescued my terribly overprocessed hair from the chop. The colour wasn't quite deep enough though, and I'd heard good things about the blue reflexes some people were getting from Caca Noir, so I traded up.

I always use two blocks on my short bob so I get at least three uses from a brick, making it super value. The packaging is standard Lush paper, the ingredients natural, so you can feel all smug and eco-friendly.

The process was the same: grate, soak in hot (not boiling) water, stir well and for goodness' sake, wear gloves. I dyed my cuticles a fetching shade of poo-brown for a week by accident... I've always just used plain water when mixing up my henna, never added coffee or vinegar but intend to give that a shot at some point.

I tend to leave mine on for about four hours, that's as long as I can take before I get bored. The washing-out process can be prolonged. You need to shampoo several times or you will stain your sheets that night (and if the colour on those is anything like the accidental nail colour, that's not something you want).

The shine is even better than with Caca Brun. I didn't get a blue tint, but that's just fine as the texture entirely makes up for it. My hair feels really nourished: terribly overused word when describing products, but it's true. It's not a pitch-raven-black on me, but it does deepen with repeated usage. I find I have to do it about once every three months if I want to avoid it lightening into a sort of mahogany shade (nice, but not what I want). Also beware of using on highlighted/pale hair as the results might be slightly more dramatic than anticipated... (ie BRIGHT red).

I would absolutely recommend this as a superior alternative to chemical dyes. I used standard colours (both at home and at the salon) for years and the results I get from the henna are much better. The shine, texture and thickness are glorious: I literally get stopped in the street! Great ego-boost.

EDIT: I left this on overnight. 12 solid hours. It was uncomfortable and I kept waking up panicking my head was leaking. This morning, it's nearly raven-black with blue reflexes. I hope this will deepen further over the next couple of days, but I am very pleased. Finally it's actually *noir*.

on 12/24/2009 1:14:00 AM

I bought this in the lush inside of macys at my local mall. I prepared it according to the instructions. I also youtubed some reviews to really see how to do it. I poured hotttt simmering water on the blocks in a second pan to melt them. It turned into a green paste not quite like yogurt more like whipped. i smoothed it on to my hair piece by piece. first roots (made it easier) then the whole piece. I left it on for about 3.5 hours. It was messy and i would leave crumbs all over the house. but i could tell it was oxidizing because it was turning from green to black. After 3.5 hours i washed it out and it was like waxy. Tomorrow im going to wash it again i just want the henna to really penetrate in there. so i didnt shampoo i just used conditioner. Now its really soft but as for the color it didnt "dye" it didnt do too good of a job of that.... Maybe i should have left it in longer but i was so anxious! I have read reviews where people have put a pinch of salt to enhance the indigo or some olive oil to give moisture. I did neither. :/ . Overall my hair is alot softer and shinier but not darker. Ill see what happens in the next few days. :) Supposedly it gets darker or something. Ive read so many reviews! :) Thanks for reading :)

on 12/9/2009 1:51:00 PM

I wanted something more natural to dye my hair with, and I stumbled accross this product. It was very easy to use(for me)and it smelt soo much better than chemical dyes. Kept it in for 4 hours. Worked great. Had really healthy hair, nice and shiny. The only problem I had with it was that it faded really fast. I understood why this happened, I should have dyed it again a day or 2 later. But over all great product and worth a try.

First off, I'm allergic to hair dye, I had a severe reaction to PPD last year and had my face swell up; very terrifying. I vowed never to dye my hair again but this is obviously an exception because it's natural. I have to say the process is pretty annoying but it's very much worth it. I break it down by grating it and then pour hot tap water over it and mix it into the paste. Honestly, I actually like the smell of it unlike most people. It smells like tea and coffee and I don't find it offensive. I use 3 cubes, leave it on for 3 hours and it gives awesome results. I have a kind of mousy - medium brown hair colour and it turns it into a nice, deep chestnut brown colour and makes it extremely shiny and healthy.

on 3/23/2009 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My hair is naturally brown/auburn. I've dyed it black a couple times in the past (with standard, chemical dyes) and while I liked the look, I felt bad about putting harsh products in my hair. I had tried a henna/indigo mix once in the past with little success, but decided to give Lush's version a chance. The preparation and application process is not that bad. I only need two squares (out of six in the bar) to cover my entire head. I grated them using an ordinary cheese grater. I then put the powder in a glass bowl and mixed with a ceramic spoon, using only water as per the instructions. Now the first time I did this, I used water heated up in a pan, to just before boiling point. The second time, after reading on Lush's website that heat is actually detrimental to indigo, I just used hot water straight from the tap, which proved to be hot enough (more on that later).

On to the application. That part was fairly easy. I have fine hair and not that much of it so covering everything was no big deal. Keeping the stuff for 6 hours was a bit more annoying. The smell is not terrible, but not quite pleasant either, and it is strong. As the mixture dries it gets really hard and sandy (I let it air-dry, no cling film). The biggest pain about the Caca is getting rid of it. I stayed under the shower head for a while, to at least get my hair moving again. Then I used a lot of conditioner, rinsed, conditioned again, rinsed, shampooed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. It takes a *lot* of time, especially in my shower which has no pressure!

And... yes, as implied above, I did the whole thing twice. In three days. As I said, my natural hair is not particularly dark, so after a single application, it had turned a rich dark brown, but not dark enough to my liking. I had read that multiple uses would progressively lead to darker results, so I braced myself and repeated the whole thing. After the second time, my hair was really dark. Not the "blackest of blacks", but very dark, black under most lightings. Overall I am satisfied at the results. The colour is nice, the product doubles as a pretty good conditioning treatment, and is 100% natural. Now I wonder how long it'll stay. I will update.

Update: It's been a little more than a week now, and the colour has already faded quite a bit. I don't wash my hair every day, and I don't use harsh shampoos, so I don't see why this would fade so fast. I'll use the last two squares of Caca Noir I've got in a couple of days, and see how that goes.

on 2/22/2009 6:06:00 PM

This product didn't work too well for me in terms of getting a black uniform color. Right after I washed henna and dried my hair I didn't notice any results what so ever. Only the next day I realized that it kinda added the reddish tone to my hair which could be seen on the sun. After couple of washes I noticed hair getting a tiny bit darker but it is very insignificant. I was holding this mess on my head for 6 hours just like instructions said, added a bit of olive oil to the mixture as an extra moisturizer for hair since henna can cause drying effect. The only thing I could have done wrong was dissolving Caca with boiled water as opposed to the hot tap water (I wish I read reviews here before dying my hair) so that could possibly interfere with the indigo. I still have 3 cubes left so I'm gonna give it another try when I have 6 free hours, this time using tap water, to see if it works. If not then I'll have to look for other alternatives.

On the positive side, my hair felt much stronger and it is still very shiny (and I dyed it 2 weeks ago) so I do recommend it as a hair treatment once in a while, it does make roots stronger.

Top Rated LUSH Products