Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

on 11/5/2010 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible. Chalky. Accentuates any little flake I have. The color selection is not good either. I was 40 watts and I am MAC NC 35 and it was too white but then the next color 50 watts was too dark! Will not be repurchasing. I miss my old Anna Sui powder foundation that has been discontinued.

on 10/23/2010 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this to use more as a powder rather than a foundation but as a powder which offered decent coverage. Originally I bought it to use on top of Stila's oil free tinted moisturiser for those days where I just wanted a bit more coverage but now I use it pretty much on top of everything. I don't think I've ever used it alone but I've tried it out by itself and it definitely offers coverage however not to the extent that I would wear it without foundation underneath. I also use a little concealer on any red spots or pimples that I have before I put the powder on.

I haven't found this powder to break me out (which definitely gives it a huge advantage over pretty much every MAC product I have ever tried) and I find the colour (60 watt) perfect on my usually-difficult-to-match skin! It looks very natural, not cakey at all, and it feels nice and lightweight during the day. I keep the compact in my bag for touchups but hardly ever need to touch up, only occasionally after a really long day when my nose looks a bit red.

The biggest disadvantage to me would be the compact. I think it's good that its refillable (does make it a bit more affordable) however the actual compact I feel is ridiculous overpriced for what it is. It gets dirty EXTREMELY easy and the mirror quickly becomes useless as it gets caked in the powder really quickly (it can be cleaned but when you're out and about this can be a nuisance). Also the first compact I had snapped when I was trying to change the powders. It's quite a flimsy plastiky thing and it doesn't even look luxe unlike Chanel or something (and here in Aus there's not much difference in price between the two. Actually I think Chanel powder is even cheaper than this Stila option if you need to buy the compact too).

However overall I will probably keep buying this product. One refill lasts me easily over a year and I love the finish and the appearance. It also lasts for a long time even in hot climates (Australian summers over 40 degrees C) and in humid climates. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who wants to use it alone as a foundation however unless they only needed light coverage.

on 10/1/2010 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I've used this for years & LOVE it a lot! It is my favorite of all of my powder! I love using this on top of my MAC Full Coverage cream foundation. I could tell from the pictures I've taken that this foundation definitely looks awesome. Love it!

on 8/18/2010 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I really like this product. It has a nice texture and looks very natural on. If you're looking for a powder foundation this probably isn't for you, but I just want powder so it's perfect. I usually use a brush for lighter coverage but sometimes the sponge for a more medium coverage. I never wear foundation - just a bit of concealer and then this product and I'm good to go!

on 8/16/2010 6:05:00 PM

i've used this powder off and on for 9 years and i used to love it! it's much more natural looking than mac studiofix, though not as much heavy coverage. so it depends on what you need/want. i also prefer the "illuminating" finish it has even though my skin's oilier because it lends to the healthy glowy look. sunscreen in it is a plus too. in fact i love the look of this stuff, but i just can't wear most powders anymore because my skin's gotten too sensitive for pretty much all of them, which is a bummer and i have to be soooo particular.
all in all i'd love to find another powder that looks a lot like stila ipf, but works better with my ever changing skin and its needs. very pretty stuff though.

on 5/23/2010 6:34:00 PM

The first few times I used it, it worked really nicely. Now, it doesn't seem to last from the time I get out of the bathroom, to the time I get to the car.

I will still stand by my opinion though, that I did not notice any sparkle or shimmer, and I did not mind that it was a refillable compact...

Sad to say that I think i'm going to return this afterall and try something else. :(

Edit: So I did end up returning this product and afterwards, I saw some photos of myself while I was wearing it. My skin looked amazing! I wish it worked for me!

on 5/5/2010 1:54:00 PM

I really like this foundation for my combination skin. It goes on light but gives a polished, un-made-up look that makes your skin look great but like you aren't wearing any makeup. It doesn't make me break out which is something I've had with many other foundations and there is no makeup smell which is another thing I love. The packaging isn't very nice though, but one pot seems to last a long time. I don't use foundation a lot. Great at evening out blotchiness and matching my skin, not real high coverage though. Need to reapply once throughout the day usually to keep looking perfect.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use 40 watt, more as a powder than a foundation, atop TM and concealer, and like it quite a bit for a nice light daytime look. I find that there is enough shimmer in it that I must use a light hand and avoid adding too many other shiny/shimmery items such as bronzer/highlight etc. for fear of having just too much shimmer. Overall what I love this product for is for days when I don't really want to do a whole big thing w mu, use a little TM, brush some of this on, some blush and mascara and call it a day. Its a nice natural looking light coverage.

EDIT:
I've noticed that this works alone well, or with a very very lightly tinted moisturizer, but its just too dang sparkly to use daily really. Once I got into the habit of using Stila's illuminating foundation (which I adore!!! light coverage but dewy, glowy) I switched to mostly using a translucent setting powder to avoid looking like I was dipped in tiny sparkles...

taking off a star for being too dang sparkly, what is brilliant and subtle abt the illuminating tm and foundation is that soft glow, doesnt really translate to powder form..

on 2/5/2010 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I thought this compact powder was just "okay". Mine shattered after just a few months of having it and I didn't even use it that often or carry it around with me many places! I thought it went on pretty heavy actually so a large brush was totally necessary for application. This powder overwhelmed my face - too bad because I love Stila.

on 1/22/2010 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this product,it took very little work and gave good results:)
Took it for a holiday tour and even though I'm a dreadful traveller and look like zombie since I can never sleep in new places, this really saved me. Every morning, all I had to do was apply a layer with the sponge and my skin looked fresh, natural and glowy. The tour guide (bless her very kind but probably lying soul) thought I did skincare ads, hahahaha (now thats a big joke!) The sad part is, I couldn't find my great skin-combo of Stila compact foundation and L'Oreal gel blush and don't know if it was left behind in the hotel or stolen. Grr....my cute compact was brand new as well!