Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

First: IMHO this is not a powder foundation. I use this as a setting powder as the coverage is minimal.
But it works greats over Stila's Sheer color tinted moisturizer and is ideal for a natural daytime look. The price is too expensive for the quantity and the compact is separate. However, this combination does not cake and gives a no makeup look. Bonus points for the SPF but it could be higher. Also, it gives a glow but it is not shimmery. I still give it a 5 for the use as described above. As a real powder foundation this would be a 3 at best. If you need heavier coverage or want a more "dolled up look" try Mac's Studio Fix Powder.

I would suggest trying it if you already have good skin. My coloring: Mac C3 - Stila 30 Watts and Sheer Color tinted moisturizer in Light

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Please let me explain my reasoning for bad reviews, because this "powder foundation" works GREAT as merely a powder. I am quite pale with blotchy redness. I got this in 10wats, minus the compact, for an absurdly cheap price. If I use a tinted moisturizer and/or concealer, this makes an excellent finishing powder. Usually I associate "illuminating" with "glittery". This powder gave me a dewey complexion and reflects light without making me look greasy and covered in glitter. As a foundation, this gives rather minimal coverage. I would never pay full price for this powder, OR purchase the stila compact, but would pick it up if I saw it on sale again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Love this stuff! I used to wear this in the mid 90's because I loved the subtle glow it gave my skin. The part that frustrated me though was the price so buying it was a treat since it seemed that for the asking price the small amount of product you got wasn't a fair deal. Fast forward to last week when I saw my shade (10 watts) was on sale and I snapped up a couple pans. I tried this powder out again today and I noticed a couple things. 1) it doesn't look as light and glowy as it did back then,it looks more skin tone now and adds a slight highlight to the skin and 2) the new compact I bought for it is plastic (!) now thankfully! The old Stila case I used back then was metal and what disturbed me about it was that the paint in the case leeched into the sponge and turned it grey. That leeching was another reason besides the price I stopped buying the foundation. A plus for me that my moody skin has not broken out at all so I have hopes. Also noticed that the coverage is rather sheer though I've not applied it with a sponge. Will work with this. So far great item and will update if the love fades in any way.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible. Chalky. Accentuates any little flake I have. The color selection is not good either. I was 40 watts and I am MAC NC 35 and it was too white but then the next color 50 watts was too dark! Will not be repurchasing. I miss my old Anna Sui powder foundation that has been discontinued.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this to use more as a powder rather than a foundation but as a powder which offered decent coverage. Originally I bought it to use on top of Stila's oil free tinted moisturiser for those days where I just wanted a bit more coverage but now I use it pretty much on top of everything. I don't think I've ever used it alone but I've tried it out by itself and it definitely offers coverage however not to the extent that I would wear it without foundation underneath. I also use a little concealer on any red spots or pimples that I have before I put the powder on.

I haven't found this powder to break me out (which definitely gives it a huge advantage over pretty much every MAC product I have ever tried) and I find the colour (60 watt) perfect on my usually-difficult-to-match skin! It looks very natural, not cakey at all, and it feels nice and lightweight during the day. I keep the compact in my bag for touchups but hardly ever need to touch up, only occasionally after a really long day when my nose looks a bit red.

The biggest disadvantage to me would be the compact. I think it's good that its refillable (does make it a bit more affordable) however the actual compact I feel is ridiculous overpriced for what it is. It gets dirty EXTREMELY easy and the mirror quickly becomes useless as it gets caked in the powder really quickly (it can be cleaned but when you're out and about this can be a nuisance). Also the first compact I had snapped when I was trying to change the powders. It's quite a flimsy plastiky thing and it doesn't even look luxe unlike Chanel or something (and here in Aus there's not much difference in price between the two. Actually I think Chanel powder is even cheaper than this Stila option if you need to buy the compact too).

However overall I will probably keep buying this product. One refill lasts me easily over a year and I love the finish and the appearance. It also lasts for a long time even in hot climates (Australian summers over 40 degrees C) and in humid climates. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who wants to use it alone as a foundation however unless they only needed light coverage.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I've used this for years & LOVE it a lot! It is my favorite of all of my powder! I love using this on top of my MAC Full Coverage cream foundation. I could tell from the pictures I've taken that this foundation definitely looks awesome. Love it!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I really like this product. It has a nice texture and looks very natural on. If you're looking for a powder foundation this probably isn't for you, but I just want powder so it's perfect. I usually use a brush for lighter coverage but sometimes the sponge for a more medium coverage. I never wear foundation - just a bit of concealer and then this product and I'm good to go!

i've used this powder off and on for 9 years and i used to love it! it's much more natural looking than mac studiofix, though not as much heavy coverage. so it depends on what you need/want. i also prefer the "illuminating" finish it has even though my skin's oilier because it lends to the healthy glowy look. sunscreen in it is a plus too. in fact i love the look of this stuff, but i just can't wear most powders anymore because my skin's gotten too sensitive for pretty much all of them, which is a bummer and i have to be soooo particular.
all in all i'd love to find another powder that looks a lot like stila ipf, but works better with my ever changing skin and its needs. very pretty stuff though.

The first few times I used it, it worked really nicely. Now, it doesn't seem to last from the time I get out of the bathroom, to the time I get to the car.

I will still stand by my opinion though, that I did not notice any sparkle or shimmer, and I did not mind that it was a refillable compact...

Sad to say that I think i'm going to return this afterall and try something else. :(

Edit: So I did end up returning this product and afterwards, I saw some photos of myself while I was wearing it. My skin looked amazing! I wish it worked for me!

I really like this foundation for my combination skin. It goes on light but gives a polished, un-made-up look that makes your skin look great but like you aren't wearing any makeup. It doesn't make me break out which is something I've had with many other foundations and there is no makeup smell which is another thing I love. The packaging isn't very nice though, but one pot seems to last a long time. I don't use foundation a lot. Great at evening out blotchiness and matching my skin, not real high coverage though. Need to reapply once throughout the day usually to keep looking perfect.