July 28, 2014 | 1780 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2011 2:54:00 AM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

While this product does work very well, it makes me feel like I have a mask on my face. It's chock full of silicones, which may or may not be beneficial to your skin. Even with the DHC cleansing oil the sun block made me break out, but only on my forehead and chin. The smell is decent, but I don't understand why it needs to be sold at such a high price. How can people be expected to wear sun block creams more often if so many companies price them so high. I don't mind spending $35 on sun block, but it can be a little burdensome when I go to college or am in a tight financial situation. There's around 2 ounces of product in the tube. Since people are advised to use approximately .4ml of product per application, you can get about 150 uses out of a tube. Fortunately, I bought the smaller size and plan to use the rest on my neck or hands when I go out.
    8/10/2011 UPDATE: The DHC Cleansing Oil that I had been using to remove this sunscreen was the cause of my breakouts. I've know realized that the Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser, which costs around $5-6 per 6.7 ounce bottle just as, if not better, effectively removes my bb cream and sunscreen than the cleansing oil. The cleanser also doesn't break me out. Those of you who don't want to use a cleansing oil should definitely try out the cleanser :D

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2011 9:00:00 AM More reviews by masa_inn

Very mixed feelings.

Like:
    - I do not tan with it. DO NOT! I tried European products; all what has ever been available on the US market and whatnot. I ended up with tan no matter what - until I tried Shiseido.
    - Really waterproof and sweat-proof. Do not migrate into my eyes even when I chase after my kindergartener riding her 2-wheeler in the midst of GA summer. This is something.
    - Matte=cosmetically elegant.

Dislike.
    - Feels pretty much like saran wrap on my face.
    - Pain to remove. I have to use a cleansing oil and follow up with a regular cleanser. Well, it's an upside down of "do not migrate into my eyes" I guess.
    - No expiration date on the bottle/box. Hello, Shiseido, this is not a box of Tampax that can outlive me. Sunscreens do expire.
    - Price. I got mine in TJMaxx for $19.99 + tax - this is reasonable. Full retail price is not. So my "will repurchase" is conditional on whether I see it again in TJ/Marshalls.

Upd 01/11/2012: It deserves 0 lippies. For me, this sunscreen does not provide enough sup protection. I ended up with a really bad sun damage/spots; and I applied sufficient amount and reapply quite often.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2011 8:07:00 AM More reviews by ShannaLoren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Perfect for my oily girls out there. This works great under makeup. I would not say its neccessarily moisturizing but I put it under a tinted moisturizer so that does not bother me. Although it not advertised to help keep oil at bay, it does for my skin and that makes me love it even more. Plus SPF 55 for your face?! SOLD!
    I got mine at TJ MAXX for 20 bucks so I got my mom some too. We were using the Lotion before it was discontinued but I will keep checking TJ Maxx for a steal on this! HG!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett0722

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this product, the cream version over the lotion after reading the reviews for it on MUA. The reviews are correct in saying it is more matte than the lotion. I found it to be cosmetically elegant - didn't add shine or oil to my face. It does last well and it didn't interfere with makeup application at all. However, it broke me out terribly. I occurred 8 pimples from it! I take oral antibiotics & bcp, use retin-a and AHA lotion, so there is no reason for such a massive breakout when my skin has been perfect for months. The only new thing in my regimen was the Shiseido ss. It's very unfortunate that it causes pimples for me as I liked it and would have put up with 1 pimple from it, but not a pimple apocalypse on my nose & cheeks. It did make my skin feel a bit itchy now & then. I applied this ss over a light moisturizer [Cetaphil] and removed it with a cleansing oil [Origins] and followed up with my acne face wash.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2011 12:26:00 AM More reviews by adara260

True Rating: 4.3/5.0

I love this sunscreen. I wish I didn't because of the price but I do! Like any oily/combo skinned person I've painfully searched for a sunscreen that doesn't break me out or make me a oil slick and that acutally works. This is THE sunscreen for you if you share my problems.

This sunscreen leaves a matte, dry finish to the skin. Yes it's a little white at first but dissapates after awhile and is definitely covered by makeup of any kind. It actually makes my makeup matter and stay longer. So I'm seeing that this product is a sunscreen, primer, mattifier and moisturizer in one. Definitely worth the price in my book. I got this originally at Sephora but I also found this at TJ Maxx a couple of times so definitley more affordable.

Some cons: there is no expiration date on the bottle and it can be a bummer to spend all that much at once but truly if you have acne prone oily skin you need to try this sunscreen. It works and doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by lashjunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for years and can't imagine using a different sunscreen on my face. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) and so I need a serious sunscreen. This has zinc oxide 16.3%, which is well above the recommended level of 6%. Also, my sensitive skin cannot tolerate sunscreens that rely mostly on chemical sunscreen ingredients.

The product goes on smoothly, isn't greasy or sticky, and doesn't cause my skin to break out. Despite it's high zinc content, the whitish cast dissipates easily when rubbed in.

As other posts have mentioned, it's important to use an oil based make-up remover to remove this product. I use Clinique Take the Day Off and have no problems removing it completely.

Unfortunately, I can attest to the effectiveness of this product because I have been using it diligently on my face for years, but did not use it on my neck or chest at all. I am turning 40 in a month and I now have visible crepey lines on my chest, but none on my face. Of course I'm glad my face looks youthful, but I totally regret not using this on my neck and chest earlier (of course I am now). Younger ladies take note.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2011 3:51:00 PM More reviews by whisper

Something is really bothering me, so I just have to first say this: FYI (to everyone who keeps saying "a little bit goes a long way; you only need a pea-size dollop for your entire face, etc..")!!!! For sunscreen to be effective, and this goes for ANY sunscreen, any brand, physical or chem (or combo)––you MUST apply approx. 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon to your face + neck (1/2 tsp is obv. better, but 1/4 will suffice, esp. if you're largely indoors like at school or work during the daytime). If it's summertime, and you're applying your facial block down onto your décolletage region, you will need about 1 whole teaspoon for face, neck, décolletage, outer ears, and backs of hands. It makes me cringe whenever I see people saying things like 'you only need the tiiiiiiniest amount.' That's so wrong! Please, use enough for it to be effective! Why buy a cosmetically elegant block, thinking you're being protected when you wear it, only to not apply it properly (and thus not be adequately protected)?!? So I just want to clear things up for everyone, because people should know. I'm not being a 'know-it-all' here –– I just want to inform people and help out, because why wouldn't you want to be knowledgeable about this? Presumably you all care about sun protection, otherwise you wouldn't have bought this (or any other sunscreen). My uncle is a dermatologist, so that's my 'credible source' btw. Now, about this sunscreen, the first thing I noticed that I hate is that there is no expiration date anywhere on the packaging! How are we to know when it was manufactured, and for how long it's good? Major points off for that. I like the product itself, however, I don't use on a daily basis because it's too much of an inconvenience to remove it, and I also have other ss for daily use that are wonderful and effective, cost less, and don't require an added step in my evening cleansing routine. The finish I get from this is not matte like I've heard many people say, but everyone's skin is so different so it's unlikely that we'll all have the same results with one product. It doesn't break me out, and it feels comfortable on my face. I wear this only when I know for certain that I'm going to be outdoors during the high-sun points of the day for several or more consecutive hours. It serves well; I don't get any freckling or 'sun blushing' at the end of the day, so it must work. It's also obv. good for the beach, since it's water-resistent and has a high % of zinc. I've tried dozens of sunscreens, and I would not rate this one among my top 5, but, nonetheless, it's a decent product. The bottle I have is 50 mL (2 oz.) and the price I know is exorbitant; not exactly sure because I got it for free (from my uncle), but I think it's upwards of $30? (!) Way too expensive, and, like I said, there are far superior sunscreens out there which are also much more affordable. Had this not been given to me, I would not go out and purchase it myself.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by daedalnat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Definitely my holy grail go-to sunblock. While I do not like the slightly oily feeling that comes with applying it, I must say that it is heaps better than other sunblocks, and believe me, I've tried tons of different kinds. The scent is strong and not overpowering. It took me a while to get used to. What I like about it is that is contains both physical and chemical sunscreen ingredients, which is really important for me. I will continue to purchase and use this until a better product becomes available. Otherwise, I am convinced this is the best sunscreen on the market right now.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 10:44:00 AM More reviews by AmySilverman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am fair-skinned and in my mid-twenties, so I have been searching for a reliable way to protect my skin for the last few years. Combination products (moisturizer or foundation with sunscreen mixed in) have always made my skin break out into millions of tiny bumps - not the worst thing that can happen but certainly unpleasant!

Shiseido is the ONLY product that I have discovered that doesn't "anger" my skin. Put it on over moisturizer, apply your makeup and you are good to go! More often than not I find that it even acts as a bit of a primer and helps my makeup last and last!

It is expensive but a little bit goes a LONG way - just squeeze out a small pea-size drop and dot it around before you try to rub it in. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2011 5:27:00 PM More reviews by klb1223

I have been using this sunscreen for about a month. I'm a sunscreen junkie and am always searching for the perfect sunscreen that will protect my skin (I have hormonal pigmentation), not cause breakouts, has good ingredients, and has a high PPD rating. I rated this sunscreen a 4 because it did satisfy some of my requirements (wish I could do a 3.5). I prefer physical sunscreens because my sensitive skin cannot handle most chemical sunscreens. This does have a chemical but is mainly zinc oxide based. It leaves a faint white cast, nothing terrible, with a great matte finish. It's rated PA+++ but I've read the ppd is about 8 or 10. I prefer something a bit higher than that. Seemed to keep my spots from getting darker and did not cause acne.
    The downsides - this contains alcohol and fragrance. A big no-no for my skin and should be for everyone. Even if you seem tolerate it, it can be causing some damage in your skin that will show up later. Although I didn't see any major problems while using it, my skin does seem a bit duller since starting use. Also a bit pricey at almost $40. I picked up a smaller tube of it for about $20 at sephora which is much more economical for travel or trying.
    Still on the search for the prefect sunscreen. Until then I'll use it up on my hands and continue using La Roche Posay (one of the few chemical suncreens I can handle) and Nia 24 on my face. Not in love with either but they fit the bill for now. May try Sofina next.