October 24, 2014 | 983 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by bublebulle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I didn't want to jump into the Lush wagon for years until my sister gave me an Ultrabland sample. And since, it's love for their face cleansers! lol. I have a dehydrated, acne-prone, combination skin so it's pretty much a nightmare for me to keep it looking good especially when I'm in PMS. My southern-east Asian descent also gave me patches and uneven skin to deal with. Now you get a rough idea of what I'm looking for to counteract all these.

I've always read that using oils on my skin would worsen my issues and until recently, I followed this rule without any significative results. Worse, some people told me not to moisturize because I have an oily T-zone! Seriously?? Something was obviously wrong. For example, I was told not to use cleansing oils but honestly had no problem at all using them - to me they're the best to remove makeup quickly and efficiently. So I thought "why not taking it a step further?" and decided to go for cleansing balms. I'm so happy I did!!

This is what has worked on me for several months now...
=> Morning routine: I use Lush Angels On Bare Skin or Lush Let The Good Times Roll. They both gently exfoliate, leaving my skin clean but not tight with the bonus of a wonderful scent to begin a new day. I then pat dry my face before spraying my face with Sanoflore floral water followed by an eye cream and a moisturizer.
=> Night routine: I double cleanse. I begin by removing my makeup with a mineral oil-free cleansing oil (my favorites are DHC Deep Cleansing Oil and MAC Cleanse Off Oil), pat my skin dry and follow with the Lush Ultrabland which I gently massage over my face and neck for 2 to 3 minutes to break down what may be left of makeup and SPF. The face massage also helps relaxing and puts the stress of the day away. I then soak a clean washcloth with warm water, wring it out and put it on my face for like 30 seconds for further relaxation. It breaks the oils down so won't be leaving this greasy film that would eventually clog my pores. Again, I soak with warm water and wring the washcloth out for then gently remove the product. Pat my face dry once more. My skin feels really clean and calm at this stage, so I continue with one of Sanoflore floral waters suited for my skin type and finish with my eyes and face moisturizers.

It's been a few months that I do this routine and my skin feels amazing and looks the best I've ever seen on myself. I still break out from time to time, but it is minimal and quickly fades away with the help of Vichy Normaderm Hyaluspot treatment. My skin is definitely more even, balanced (no super dry cheeks or over oily T-zone anymore) and people have been commenting on how good my skin looked though I wasn't wearing any makeup at all which is the first time in my life! I must say that it feels pretty amazing! ^^

Pros:
- Love the bee wax scent, even if it feels a little strange at first! lol.
- It's effective, even though I really prefer using a cleansing oil beforehand,as double cleansing has really worked for me until now.
- Leaves the skin hydrated and plumped, but also very clean.
- Affordable. Not on the cheaper side but not pricey either which makes this cleanser a good value for the money.

Cons:
- You can't use this in a hurry if you want to properly take the oils off your face.This is why I only use it at night.
- Contains parabens. They are marked as safe on the Lush website but several studies have shown potential harm from propylparaben. Ultrabland has it in its ingredients list.

In short:
This is a lovely product that I look forward to use each night because it is now part of a very effective, relaxing routine. I'm frustrated by the parabens it contains but since I try to minimize the use of products with them in my stash, hopefully I'm quite safe on this part. Now that I discovered the wonderful world of cleansing balms, I'll probably try the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm and the Emma Hardie Moringa Balm next.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by snowwhyte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination dry skin and i'm twenty years old.

This may be one of the best cleansers I've ever used. It is very gentle and left my skin absolutely glowing and the softest it's felt in a while.

I had one main concern as I had very acne prone skin prior accutane I was worried that the "clingy type film" left after using this that i'd been told about would be a problem. When I bought this I made sure to ask how to best remove it, I was told a good toner and a moderately steamy wash cloth would remove it and it certainly does the job, so if you're having problems removing it you should probably look into giving it a try.

My honest opinion is that it's a fantastic product but it's not for everyone, before you splurge ask kindly for a sample to try. It's better to try then spend the full amount just to have it cause breakouts.

All in all works fantastically for me personally.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love! I repurchase a couple small tubs of this stuff every winter. When I feel I need something a little more soothing than cold cream, out comes the Ultrabland to remove my makeup. I either double-cleanse with this or oil cleanse after the first wipe to remove any leftover makeup+cream gunk. I love that it cooperates with my dry skin and keeps me moisturized for longer than regular cold cream in wintertime.

UPDATE 6/26/14: OK, so I tried switching to something lighter for the summer and it was just not the same! I love how easily this removes the bullet-and-cleanserproof double layer of sunscreen I slap on in summertime. Toward the end of the winter I no longer felt the need to use anything other than this for my face -- e.g., no more double cleansing with oil -- but now that I'm using waterproof mascara I sometimes like to go over my eye area again with some micellar water just to be sure it's all gone.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2014 6:34:00 AM More reviews by rosieposie64

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Agh terrible, terrible - gives spots. I was recommended this in store to remove makeup from my sensitive skin. No matter what I tried (weeks of persistence in case my skin was 'purging' and removing it with a hot cloth/second cleanse) it gave me terrible, terrible spots, breakouts and lumps all over my face. It was so hard to get off the skin after using, was really clingy and greasy (I think because of the beeswax). Terrible product, don't buy it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by savannahxoh

This is no joke when I tell you that this will most likely cause you to break out in cystic and whitehead acne. All of last year I had perfect skin where I did not have to wear makeup, until I decided to splurge at Lush and started using this. It practically ruined my skin and broke me out awfully, and after months I have just now cleared it up. It's BEESWAX for crying out loud. Would you rub Burt's Bee's chapstick onto your face? No? Then why this? Just don't. I'm warning you. Unless you feel the need to use this then completely exfoliate your face to a new level of rawness just to make sure none gets left behind to clog your pores.

Not kidding, the routine that clears my skin up from the most awful awful breakouts due to products like these from Lush that I try is:

1. Wash with St. Ives Apricot Scrub (Just scrub gently, don't scratch or cut yourself raw with it).
2. USE A CLARISONIC with a charcoal scrub like Michael Todd True Organics Charcoal Gel Cleanser.
3. RINSE WITH COLD WATER TO CLOSE PORES.
4. Use a toner on a cotton pad. My die-hard favorite is Michael Todd Lemon Toner.
5. Mix a night cream and 100% PURE TEA TREE OIL (seriously kills ALL acne-causing bacteria on your face like a miracle) in your hand, apply. It WILL sting for around a minute. Maybe use a diluted water and tea tree oil mixture.
6. Apply any benzoyl peroxide gel. Like Dan's Acne Regimen "Treatment" Step, or a prescription BP gel
7. Apply 100% Pure Jojoba Oil onto face as a moisturizer. It will NOT break you out. It will moisturize beautifully, and flawlessly.

You are welcome.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 1:05:00 PM More reviews by thathippiegothchick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I originally bought this for reasons different than using as a cleanser. I had just tested out another of their products and decided it was way to harsh on my combination/sensitive skin; problem was is I couldn't get the darn stuff off my hands, even with water. An employee I think it was suggested using Ultrabland to remove it and lo and behold it worked - and made my hands silky soft to boot! Having been on an RV road trip at the time I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a pot of it with me to clean my hands of any miscellaneous RV dirt. If that makes sense. Then months later after the trip was done, having lost two containers of my previous Lush cleanser Herbalism and not being able nor willing to replace them (read my review on Herbalism and you'll see why), I thought hey, Ultrabland is a facial cleanser, I should try using it. And I did, a few times, only to find it worked great but didn't exfoliate enough and left a film behind on my skin. Yesterday I figured a way around that: get one of those exfoliating cloths from the bath and beauty section of a Walmart. Not sure what they're called sorry. Once I had gotten one I tried it and was thrilled with the result. Here's how I did it: first I wet my face with lukewarm water, then applied Ultrabland by scrubbing it in as much as possible and rubbing it in. I then wet the exfoliating cloth with hot water, scrubbed my hands off with the exfoliating side to be sure I got it all off them, then used the same side after rinsing it off of course to scrub all the Ultrabland off. Then I used the softer side to get the remainder and soothe my skin and rinsed once more with hot water. Patted dry. I have never in all my life or with any of the 100s of products I've tried felt my skin so soft or look so healthy. Besides being slightly red from the exfoliation - which already was disappearing as I watched - my face looked glowing and healthy. I definitely am a lifelong Ultrabland user henceforth, on my face, not my hands. The only thing is, the method I just described is the best way I've found to apply it, and you have to be sure not to moisturizer afterward because it just makes your skin oily all over again. But really, with Ultrabland you don't need to. Just use, tone and go on with the rest of your day. You won't regret it. As for the high price, I guarantee it's worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Yasmin159

Love this product and will always keep it in stock. Really gentle (application and ingredients). I use it as a morning cleanser with a hot towel when I want to unclog pores, as a cleanser after makeup removal when I want to keep it gentle. - you can use it to remove makeup but the thought is ikky. I also use it on dry patches or under eyes overnight.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by zoeclare1979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to love this product. I do end up going back to this when I go to lush. The only downfall of this product is that you get so messy with it as u have to warm it up and then massage over the face (not good if you're using as a make up remover). It does however remove all traces of make up and leaves the skin clean. My fingernails however weren't so clean as the make up went all down them :( not so great if you don't have much time but fab if u do x

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by SabineJoling

i don't use it like a cleanser but on a clean face as a mask. leave it on for 14 minutes (or less) and my skin is sooooo soft. I have dry skin but it has been acting up the past couple of weeks. this helps so much!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by jenabeall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ultrabland! Everything from lush is pricy but you get what you pay for. I have dry/combo skin and this is an amazing makeup remover, cleanser, and moisturizer. When my sling feels especially dry I'll even keep ultrabland on as a face mask for 10 minutes. This is an amazing product and I will be definitely repurchasing and recommending to all of my girlfriends. :)