October 30, 2014 | 1541 users online

Body Scrubs - Alba Botanica - Sugar Cane Body Polish

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2007 2:36:00 PM More reviews by stillmarissa

This sugar scrub has a great tropical smell that is irresistable to me. It is very gentle on my skin, as I cannot use salt scrubs because they are too harsh and irritating. As others have said, it is a bit oily though. I am not sure if it is cleansing (because it seems to just coat my skin with oil) so I either wash my skin before I put it on or afterwards. It may seem silly to wash afterwards but I usually relax in the shower and let it soak in for a while. I don't like the oil on my skin because it gets all over my towel and I also prefer to use lotion after my shower. Despite all this I still give it 4 stars (minus 1 star for the oiliness) because it smells delightful and I have not found a better sugar scrub out there. It feels very luxurious and if you enjoy oils in and after your bath or shower (in a tropical scent) then this just might be a 5 star for you. I will continue to buy this but I also want to try the Brown Sugar Scrub from my favorite soap company, "Beautiful Soap & Co." (try mybeautifulsoap.com); it is a bit more expensive but I have high expectations because their other products are superior. I will update when I have results.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/10/2006 11:01:00 PM More reviews by jfellina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There was a time when I would have given this product an unequivocal 5. Now, it gets a 2, and that is only because it smells nice and I have fond memories of what it used to be...

When I first started buying this, about three years ago, it was simply THE BEST sugar scrub ever. Fabulous sugar smell, great texture, and best of all the consistency was oily-moisturizing, NOT oily-greasy. It made my skin super-soft, and did not leave an oilslick in my tub. It did have a layer of clear oil on the top when you first opened it, but the rest was all grainy, delicious sugar. I actually enjoyed mixing the two because it felt so pure and high-quality. I bought a jar almost every week, which felt extravagant, but I considered it worth every penny because I loved using it every day. I even gave it to friends as a gift because I enjoyed knowing that they would rave to me about how great it was after they tried it (and they did). For a year, my sugar scrub and I were so very happy...

Then, about two years ago, with no warning, no change in packaging, no little "new formula" sticker - I bought a jar one day, opened it, and immediately saw that it was Not Right. Gooey, vaseline-y, and when I used it, it still smelled good, but it was all greasy goop without that awesome grainy real-sugar feel. Worst/grossest of all, it left a lasting slippery layer on both my skin and the floor of my tub.

I bought a few more jars after that, hoping that the first jar of glop was a fluke and had been left in the sun on a loading dock for too long or something. Once I got lucky and opened a new jar to tons of sugar and a little oil, but the next two jars were the new goo. I have given up. I no longer use it, and I would never buy it for someone as a gift. I miss the old stuff! :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2006 7:58:00 PM More reviews by ltiwdt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh, how I love you, Sugar Cane Scrub! You smell like creme brulee, you're oily in a good way, and you're the best scrub I've ever tried. One tub will last you forever, which is almost a problem, since there's a risk it'll get gross before you finish it. Usually retails around $10.99, but it's almost always on sale somewhere. Use it with Alba's After-sun coffee-smelling lotion, and you'll smell amazing all day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2006 3:28:00 PM More reviews by ilima

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I pretty much love everything about this scrub except for the packaging (really cumbersome in the shower), so I'm taking off one lippie. But other than that, it's fabulous! It's doesn't separate so you don't have to mix it up, and the sugar crystals are big enough to really scrub without being too scratchy or harsh. This scrub smells great- like a sweet, sugary, honey treat. Overall I'm very pleased with it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2006 1:23:00 PM More reviews by MegE

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

**Update 5/27/06** I'm upping my overall rating, because I tried mixing some with body wash and it rinses off better--still a tad vaseline-y, but better. The smell is divine and really growing on me. Although, I highly doubt I will repurchase as there are better products out there.

Original Review:

I just can't understand the raves for this product?! It *literally* feels like vaseline with some below-average scrubby particles going on, and it acts like vaseline when I attempt to wash it off--it doesn't rinse and makes my skin feel unclean! I actually had to use a netted lofa with body wash to scrub off the greasyness--twice! It has a honey/vanilla sweet smell, which I do enjoy. I do not recommend this product, and instead rec Origins Paradise Found body scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2006 10:59:00 PM More reviews by ChristenMc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this scrub. The texture is gentle and I really enjoy the fave that the oils are blended in well so that there isnt a layer of oil on top and you have to blend it. It makes using it much easier and a lot less messy. I have pretty dry skin and using this especially on my elbows and legs has made a world of difference. Has my skin summer ready.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2006 3:38:00 AM More reviews by Xuku

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Awesome smelling scrub. Its not at all harsh, yet exfoliates very well. If you add some water, it turns a little milky, which I love. I don't need to use lotion afterwards. Takes a long time to finish using it all. Sadly, the scent doesnt linger.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2006 4:52:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Unlike a previous reviewer, I like really oily scrubs since I like to apply oil all over after showering when I have the time. (I have a touch of eczema on my upper arms and thighs and can get pretty dry in the winter--I strive to make my skin as soft and smooth as possible so I use all kinds of oils and heavy-duty moisturizers). This stuff saves me a step since it both exfoliates and moisturizes :) The texture is nicely scrubby but not at all harsh (one reason why I prefer sugar to salt scrubs) and doesn't melt away too fast. It smells lightly sweet and sugary though the fragrance doesn't really linger much. I hate the jar packaging; it's cute but cumbersome in the shower and takes up a lot of room. I really, really, really wish they'd package this in a squeeze tube. But otherwise: perfect.

ETA: It's not as scrubby anymore for some reason, so I won't repurchase now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2006 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Dani

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best sugar scrub I've ever used. I like that it's scrubby, and the sugar & oils are mixed throughout (i.e. no layer of oil on top).

It smells really yummy too, and scent layers well w/ all my vanilla-based perfumes. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2005 12:39:00 AM More reviews by jaritos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. I am a shower type girl so I like this for a little luxury even if you don't take baths. It exfoliates well, but since it is sugar, it doesn't sting like salt can. I love the gel consistency - I have used other body polishes that separate out, but this is really easy to apply since the sugar is suspended through out the polish. It exfoliates but it is moisturizing and it smells really great, sweet but not cloying. And it seems like it will last so that's ten bucks well spent, in my opinion.