December 21, 2014 | 1881 users online

Masks - Avene - Instant Soothing Mask

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin is downright picky - slightly dry, frustratingly sensitive, with localised acne on the chin/jawline (a side effect of long-term medication). I have a collection of samples of this mask, given to me by a kind Boots sales assistant who probably gets sick of me hanging around in her aisles reading ingredients lists. I've been reaching for them this winter to relieve parched, irritable skin. Avene claims that this mask will soften, rehydrate and thus strengthen sensitive skin that is reacting to environmental assault. I'll happily agree that the product delivers to the extent that it leaves my skin much less tight and itchy, and eases any existing signs of irritation (red bumps etc). I live on the east coast of Scotland, where the climate is fairly harsh, so in the depths of winter these are no mean feats. However, the promised radiance looks to me more like a stubborn layer of grease, so using this mask and appearing elegant or alluring in public are mutually exclusive activities. If you have dry skin, the combination of mineral, safflower and fractionated coconut oils may be just right. I was hoping for lots of soothing and some moisture from this mask; instead I get lots of moisture and minor temporary relief from sensitivity. That's probably my fault for basing my expectations on the packaging blurb rather than the actual formulation. Its ingredients could be those of any rich, gentle, but not particularly sophisticated moisturiser for sensitive skin. The results are no more impressive (or enduring) than an appropriate moisturiser consistently applied, or a thick layer of emollient cream left on for 15-30 minutes and rinsed thoroughly.

Ingredients: Avene thermal spring water, mineral oil, stearic acid, caprylic/capric triglyceride, safflower seed oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil PEG-6 esters, triethanolamine, glyceryl stearate, microcrystalline wax, PEG-100 stearate, propylene glycol, caprylic/capric triglycerides, carbomer, disodium EDTA, fragrance*, phenyltrimethicone.

*My skin is notoriously anti-fragrance and displayed no reaction to this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2008 9:32:00 PM More reviews by sayakka

i bought this when the season is changing and my skin is crying.
this is a thick, perfumed lotion that you suppose to put a thick layer as a mask. it stings my skin..and the hydration don't last. but i found this can be a great makeup primer because it give you a glowy finish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2008 6:08:00 AM More reviews by apk2

I just found out about this brand a few days ago and I can say I am now a HUGE fan of their products. My skin type fits the bill--sensitive, acne-prone. I love how this mask feels when I put it on. I feel like my face has been lacking moisture for a million years and its so thirsty that when I put this mask on I feel like my face is just drinking it up! The best thing about it is that it only takes 10 mins so it's great for busy people like me that can just put this on and know you're not wasting a good chunk of your day. I don't use it with the thermal water though, I went to shopper's drug mart today to pick up my smashbox foundation, and contemplated on buying the thermal water but decided that I'd wait to see if I actually need it. I currently have this and Avene's exfoliating scrub which is also another amazing product. I plan on buying their moisturizer when I'm done my bottle of Cetaphil lotion too =)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by silviabeloved

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I don't like it at all. I bought it once when I was living in Paris, didn't like it, then I bought it again last month, still don't like it.

It just doesn't feel right on my skin, and if I leave it on too long, I start to have "possible to-be pimples" I use hydrating mask a lot, and this is the only product that actually breaks me out, I am not even prone to pimples. (however, some products can seriously clog my pores)

It's way too pricy, and I don't see any rehydrating results whatsoever, I bought another hydrating mask from another brand not long after I bought this, and I totally love the other one, when I compare them together, this one seems to be such a disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2008 7:31:00 PM More reviews by cocobutter27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i looovvve this mask!!! it soothes, calms and hydrates my sensitive dehydrated skin. leaves my skin comfortable, supple and GLOWING. excellent to use for skin reactions as well without leaving greasy after-feel.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by dilllll90

I usually buy the kit containing cleanser, this mask and the cream for hypersensitive skin. I like the mask, it's my second favorite mask next MB's alzulene mask. This calms skin if using quite often. I use it everyday so the results are shown. However, it's not a fast fix my MB mask calms hot-flash in 15 minutes.

however, it's milky texture is good and I like avene because I hate fragrance. It's particularly good for summer as a after-sun calming mask.
continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2008 12:50:00 PM More reviews by roxane

I purchased this Avene hydrating mask 2 weeks ago when I experienced a really dehydrated skin due to hard water and snow storms and overheated rooms. It did a good job in getting rid of the itching of my skin and also in delivering moisture, not oil. But it did not show a lasting effect, I had to apply the mask on face and neck am and pm just to stop my skin from itching. I wore it like a regular moisturizer. All in all: there are worse masks out there, but also better products that penetrate deeper into the skin and have a lasting hydrating effect. If I had nothing else at hand, I would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by rebeccaou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very good mask.......after using it, my skin feels very soft and hydrated.......... the amount is a bit small since i like to use very generously on my face....... so a tube normally only lasts a couple of weeks............ apart from that, it is brilliant........

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by barbiesweetdoll

this mask feels moisturising and calm down redness too!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by meru

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this product is average. it's moisturising, but only for the evening i applied it and half of the next day. i would have liked a longer lasting moisturising effect. however, it is light and soothing just like its name and doesn't break me out.