July 29, 2014 | 1933 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Phanatical28

I've always wanted to try this, but there always seemed to be something of more importance on my beauty list. When I saw this as part of an awesome 500-point gift as a Sephora Beauty Insider, I nabbed it and fell in love. It is perfect for my skin, which is combo-oily (oily in the forehead and nose, normal elsewhere). It absorbs super fast, is insanely light weight, and has a gorgeous, musky smell to it that goes away lightning-fast. A few little drops go a long way as well! I love the medicinal looking glass bottle and dropper, which make application a breeze (although I fear travel with this might be an issue, due to it being glass). Though I am only 22, I've been using preventative products for some time now, and I can really see a big difference in the wee little fine lines I was forming on my forehead/when I smile (around my lips).

I do not have what I would classify as sensitive skin, although if it doesn't like a product, my chin is the first to hear about it. When I apply this, I put just the smallest swipe on my chin. I have no break-outs or acne anywhere to report. I enjoy this product and will continue to use it, and purchase it once this little bottle runs out (but it really goes a long way!).

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by makoto4me

I am 22 years old, I am using the purity made simple, hope in a jar with this When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum. I did not notice any huge difference on my face, but this serum and the cream was easily absorb, no oily residue br film left..but this combination is not hydrating enought for winter. This serum does not break me out, and my face become less dull. Will buy next time if can't find a good serum.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by imimi

I really wanted to like this product but the smell just made me not want to use it. I have dry skin and hoped that this serum would help moisturize, but when I put the serum on my face felt a bit tight. I thought that once I put on my moisturizer it would be ok. I wanted to use this serum for at least a month to see if there would be any noticeable changes on my face but the smell was just so bad I returned it within a week. I do like the dropper application but unfortunately will not be purchasing it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2010 12:25:00 PM More reviews by cristalle65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this to use in the am under makeup. I have fairly oily skin and I have seen no breakouts from using this. My eyes seem less puffy and my skin is less likely to have breakthrough shine. It makes my skin soft and smooth. The scent is a bit unpleasant at first but dissipates after it dries.It is an herbal scent, maybe rosemary. The glass dropper is very medicinal looking and all but I would rather have a sealed pump for freshness' sake.It is a clear, thin gel right now, I will see how long it takes for it to turn. The directions say to use 3-4 drops? I have to use about 6-7 to cover my face and under chin area. Still waiting to see if there's any reduction in hair growth as they claim. Edit--6 weeks in- I have swapped this due to the dry tight feeling I was getting after application despite my slightly oily skin. Will not repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2010 9:13:00 PM More reviews by SteamyCouture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm only 19, but I was addicted to tanning indoors, I would go everyday when I was in high school on the highest level beds for the full length of time. In the last year I have had a fallout of tanning. My skin is pretty good, but I don't want to see the damage in the future; I was recommended to try this out to help reverse damage before it shows. So far so good, it makes my skin extremely soft. It gives my skin a radiance that I can't get from any makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2010 8:32:00 PM More reviews by cshea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For me, this stuff is miraculous. I mix it with the Vitamin C powder. (Note to Philosophy: You need to find a better way of scooping the vitamin C powder out. It is impossible to travel with that little spoon.) Within days of using the serum+C, the brown patches under my eyes lighten a lot. My skin looks brighter. It's just amazing to me. Despite my acne prone skin, I have not had problems with blocked pores. I also don't notice the smell during the day. However, if I don't take it off before I go to sleep, I start smelling an onion field and can't figure out where the smell comes from until I remember it's the serum. I agree that, if you also use the product on your neck and decollete, as I do, it gets expensive, but I don't care. It's just too great a product. (NB: I've never tried this without the C booster powder.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by 3buzyboyz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this product as I am a huge fan of Purity and Micrexfoliating wash, but for my skin it just didn't do much. I bought it from QVC thinking I was getting a good value, but there is no value in a serum that doesn't give noticeable results. Estee Lauder's advanced night repair delivers much better results for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by SophieH

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know what about this serum seriously improves my skin, but something does. Whenever i finish a full bottle (3 drops in the morning under SPF) it strikes me that my skin looks a lot younger and better, with fewer wrinkles, than before (I usually rotate through a lot of different antioxidant serums, many of which are stronger/more high-powered on paper/definitely more pricey, such as CF Phloretin. So I am always surprised when my skin seems so much prettier with this one.) Maybe it's the hyaluronic acid plumping things up, or maybe there is change going on (please) at a more fundamental level.

It does seem to lighten discolorations, smooth wrinkles, and generally firm and lift a little. I find that this is the part of the basic philosophy "system" that actually has a positive effect (i.e. it's not hope in a jar, the cleanser or anything else, but really this.) Unlike many people, I adore the smell (white-tea-like) and feel (drinks in quickly while still imparting a good amount of moisture.)

I will note that this gives me light acne. Something about it is pore-clogging, and it's not antibacterial like some of the S. C. antioxidant serums, so there is a lot of possibility for new acne, which I always get with this. There is no time when I'm using this that I don't have at least 1-2 pimples active on my face and I definitely use acne cleansers etc. And yes, it's definitely this.

Previously this aspect had been a deal-breaker with WHINE for me, but now I am starting to respect the anti-aging benefits more seriously, and it's an ok trade-off.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Sunbabe684

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! I use it every morning with half a scoop of the Booster C powder, and my skin feels noticeably plumper and firmer, so it does really well under moisturizer. Helps keep my freckles at bay, and acne too. Only problem is how pricey it is, and it doesn't last very long

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by laurenau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am 30 with combo & acne prone skin. Many products irriate my skin and I use both differin and duac in the evenings for acne. I have been using this product for about a month by applying it once in the morning. I initially bought it for the antioxidants/sun damage protection to apply under moisturizer during the day. I have to say I fell in love with this product for some many other reasons. If I'm just going to the office and won't be in the sun then it is sufficient as my only form of moisturizer which is great since it makes my skin look less oily throughout the day compared to when I wear regular lotion based moisturizer. It also seems to be improving the appearance of the discoloration on my face. All in all it just makes my skin look great when I put it on. I highly recommend.