November 22, 2014 | 1708 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 6:13:00 AM More reviews by ceciliawu12

I have been using this foundation for half a year now and it's my favorite till now. It has great coverage will a thin layer, good staying power, natural matte finish and high SPF best for sunny places like Singapore. I cannot say about whether it will cause acne cuz I have acne problems for years and it doesn't matter whether I have makeup on. However, I do have some issues with the foundation. First is color match. I bought mine in Sweden while traveling. It is SPF 30, SP 60. I have natural maybe a bit fairer asian skin. It is too natural for my skin tone, possibly a bit darker. I would go with sp50 for my second bottle. But when I am consulting a Hong Kong seller online. I was told I should go with sp20 or sp30 and they don't even have sp60 for sell normally. I am a little bit confused. So the number is different in Asia? Another issue is I cannot find a shiseido store selling this foundation in Singapore. Anyone give me some advice?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Asmamuhammed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love it , I have been use it three years ago . My skin is oily

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

This has such high ratings that I thought it would be an HG for me, but, unfortunately it isn't. I love it for everyday, but it's for travelling it's not equally good as I absolutely need a primer for this, which also means I need to own another product to go with this one.
    I have dry-normal, sensitive skin that gets oily during the day on forehead, nose, chin. Not flaky. Very little pinkiness. Very even skin texture, but a little bit of hyperpigmentation. In general, I have good skin and could go without foundation, but I really hate my hyperpigmentation.
    I was very happy to find a foundation that is light and yellow enough for my very light yellow NC15 skin - SP30 (I can also use this colour when I'm closing up on NC20). And there are even two colours that are lighter :D The foundation has close to no oxidation, and I believe it wouldn't oxidize more even if you have oily skin. For the consistency, which is very runny, the coverage is good. I could say it gives light-almost full coverage.
    I quite like the packaging - it's very small and lightweight. I have two more foundations with similar packaging: Estee Lauder invisible Fluid and Chanel Vitalumiere. When you shake those and open them, the product just oozes out while you hold the bottle right way up, and it gets messy. Luckily, this foundation is so thin that it doesn't do that, so it's very mess-free.
    This is long lasting - better than most, but it does rub off my chin a little during the day. No biggie though. This doesn't break up or flake off during the day and feels very comfortable even on my sensitive skin. At the end of the day this still looks pretty perfect.
    I can't say much about how transfer free this is as I use so little of it - Shiseido claims it's transfer free, but I have never encountered a foundation that is completely transfer free. The best, I would say is when foundation doesn't transfer onto a tissue when you blot your face, which this doesn't do. If I hug my boyfriend while he's wearing a white T-shirt on the other hand, it transfers a little, even though I don't have much on, but again: I haven't had a foundation that doesn't do this. I don't wear foundation down my neck (I just wear the right colour for me), so I don't know if this transfers onto ones own clothes.
    Many people say this is completely matte. I think it strongly depends on application. If I apply this over a primer, on a dry face or powder over with an oil controlling powder, this will be matte. If I put it over my regular moisturizer, this looks extremely oily. I wouldn't say this foundation had good oil control over a moisturizer, but with the other methods, I don't get much shine during the day.
    I'm not sure why this claims to be very water resistant: when I splash my face with water, I see this lifting (going white). I't looks like it's the sunscreen part of this that washes off. BUT: the foundation-part stays on - you really have to use a waterproof-foundation remover to get this off properly - there is a great chance that you will not see that some of this is still o and many toners can't remove that last bit either. For the SPF purpose, you, very likely, won't apply ENOUGH of this for it to work properly as a sunscreen (you need about a teaspoon for your face and neck to get the indicated SPF). I don't think I will say any more about this point other than that I think it sounds quite ridiculous to use a foundation as sunscreen that they recommend "reapplying every 80 minutes".
    So many people say this looks super-natural... I found it to not be quite true if I just apply it to my face, but with a silicone primer it looks natural, but it kinda defeats the purpose of a small packaging for this, as I need to have another product with it. I use my Arbonne primer, which I don't think prolongs the wear time of any foundation - rather the slightly (only slightly) opposite, but it makes foundations that usually dry very fast blend easier, go on much smoother and look invisible. For the application I use a brush: the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. This brush can apply almost any liquid foundation flawlessly. I could, of course use a sponge for application but, this is a VERY liquid foundation. A sponge would apply this excellently, but it would also waste a lot of product. I find this a small flaw in the formulation, as they actually recommend a sponge. I have also found that fingers work well for this foundation though, although not everyone like this method, it means that you CAN do without beauty tools.
    In my experience, there are foundations that look like you have nothing on your skin. Most of them are quite silicone loaded, like, for example BB creams. If you want a foundation that looks very close to your skin texture, I would recommend trying on something silicone based. This would especially be true for people with drier skin. If you want to use this foundation, you should NOT have flaky skin and you might need to apply a primer where you have drier areas, or the foundation might look a little gritty over them.
    I'm not sure how economical this foundation is as I have't used a full bottle yet, but will update.
    Would I buy again? I don't know :/ When I buy a foundation, I would like to be able to use it without absolutely needing a primer under. I'm happy that some people love this foundation, but it's not love for me, though it IS very good. I'm a little sad since I bought this for travelling with, and now I'll need to also bring a primer, but if I find that the amount of foundation lasts for a long time, I might repurchase. Would I recommend checking this out? Yes - it's a good foundation.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by surrealreality

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

As a foundation, I would give this a 3. As a concealer, I would give this a 5. So, I split the difference.

About My Skin: Combination - The area on and around my nose is moderately oily, my cheeks are incredibly dry, and everywhere else is pretty normal.

Coverage: Not entirely full coverage in one thin layer, but pretty close. If using all over your face as a foundation, I wouldn't recommend more than a single thin layer as it will look obvious. However, using as a concealer in small areas (with a brush), I can use two... even three layers and it looks great (leaving about 10 seconds to dry in between layers). I have yet to have a blemish that I couldn't completely cover with this (I don't get outbreaks very often, but when I do, they're quite bad).

Wear Length: INSANE! At least 12 hrs with no fading.... probably longer if needed. I have problems with most foundations & concealers melting and wearing away quickly in the Florida summer heat and humidity, but not this one! It really is waterproof too... I've swam with it in a spring and came out with 95% of it still on.

Finish: Personally, I would call this matte. When using all over the face as foundation, I find it to look a bit unnatural and heavy (but then again, I feel that way about ALL full coverage foundations)

Texture: A rather thin water-based liquid. Unfortunately, it's very drying and accentuates flaky skin, which is it's major draw back for me. Doesn't bother me when using as a concealer though because the areas I need extra coverage in aren't dry or flaky (usually just underneath eyes and on the occasional blemish). It also dries very fast, which is GREAT if using it as a concealer in small areas (only have to wait 10 seconds in between layers). However, if using as an all over foundation you'll have to work fast to get it to blend well.

Packaging: A little messy (the foundation tends to squeeze out the top leaving the inside of the cap and the top of the bottle covered in dried foundation)

Bottom Line: HG Concealer! Truly Waterproof! I don't recommend using as as foundation though unless you have normal to oily skin with no dry patches or flakes at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by conniie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Officially obsessed with this foundation. I was skeptical at first because of the price. But I went to my local Nordstrom counter and got a sample first. I am a pale asian and have yellow AND pink undertones. My color is SP50 (I was surprised too but it actually matches very well). I have oily skin during the day and my makeup "melts" off easily. However I haven't ran into any issues with this foundation at all. The area around my nose gets very very red (I have bad allergies) and the redness becomes more obvious during the day with other foundations. I've been pleasantly surprised with this Shiseido one. I only have to touch up concealer around my nose area once. No powder needed at all. It is matte but not cakey. The only downside is that I think I use more product due to the liquid consistency (I really like the consistency of it by the way). It's also a little pricey so I recommend getting color matches and grabbing a sample to try before purchasing. I would also like to point out that I have sensitive acne prone skin and I haven't bad any issues with breaking out. IMPORTANT: Be sure to use an oil cleanser in addition to your regular cleanser to remove this foundation. It's long wearing so you don't want it getting stuck in your pores due to poor cleansing. I use Shiseido's Perfect Oil followed by Perfect Whip and they work effortlessly to remove all the foundation residue. Anyways, I would definitely repurchase again! THE SPF IS GREAT, and that in itself is worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by beths02

This is a brilliant foundation, especially for oily skin. The coverage is brilliantly, doesn't break me out and the bottle lasts for ages.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by HannahBlock21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product does not offer much coverage, and does not stay on very long, yet there is still something that makes me love it. Maybe it's just my unexplainable passion for Shiseido products. Anyways, I like this foundation, but I can understand why most people wont.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by mailife4

This was first high end sun screen product, which I admit it's an excellent for oily/dry combination skin. It's a milky substance that doesn't have that strong sun screen smell. The product goes on smooth and is easily absorbed by the skin to leave a dewy feel and doesn't leave a white tint on the skin. It's doesn't have that sweaty feeling on the skin and you do need to reapply every two hours to maximize the sun screen properties. It doesn't clog the pores like most products do and it's blends in with the makeup.

It's a bit pricey but if you are looking for a good product for oily/dry combo skin, give this a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by meligonlan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This foundation looks very natural and doesn't look cakey at all. It has a high SPF and gives a matte finish all day long. Doesn't setlle into lines or pores. I mix it up with a bit of moisturizer because it dries up very fast and apply with my fingers.I definitely recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by superchooie

This really doesn't cover too well and doesn't feel good when I have it on. It doesn't match my skin TOO well but it's not incredibly noticeable when I have it on. It emphasizes dry patches! I dont think the product itself aggravates acne but it stays on so well that washing it with oil cleansers VERY thoroughly still leaves residue :( I was warned this and made sure I washed it very well but I STILL ended up with 2 cystic pimples -__- and mind you, I rarely break out. UGH going to return this and find something else.