Olay Active Hydrating Cream - Original

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

water, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, petrolatum, cyclopentasiloxane, stearyl alcohol, isopropyl palmitate, dimethicone, carbomer, PEG-100 stearate, stearic acid, sodium hydroxide, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, EDTA, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, fragrance, titanium dioxide, red 4.

on 6/29/2011 12:33:00 PM

It's kinda funny how I stumbled upon this moisturizer. My 72 year old mother uses this. I was spending the weekend at her house and forgot my moisturizer, and this is the only one she had in the house. She looks great for her age and apparently has been using this for years.

I will admit I'm not a fan of the smell. However, for the price this is actually a very good day moisturizer. I also use the much more expensive Hope in a Jar by Philosophy and I have to say this Olay moisturizer reacts much better on my skin. I don't get little bumps and my face is really smooth and hydrated.

The next time I saw my mom she showed up with a jar for me. I'm still using it but when it's gone I will RUN to the drugstore to buy another jar. This one is a keeper!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Oh, Active Hydrating Cream, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

* I tried your more expensive sisters - none of them left my skin baby smooth as you do. I threw everything I could find at my permanently dry cheek patch, and you fixed it in three days, you clever thing, you!

* You are kind on the wallet and easy to acquire. You are an equal opportunity blessing!

* You smell good. This is important as you linger by my nose.

* You began as my night cream, then I couldn't get enough of you and started wearing you during the day as well, which you were perfectly happy with. I may have to give you up during summer, but rest assured, I will return for you.

* Sometimes I am overenthusiastic with you on my T-zone and you break me out a little. But it's always shallow one-day pimples, and the skin around them is sooooo moisturised.

* You are one-step. After struggling for years with three pots of overpriced crud in my bag, vainly hoping for dry-patch salvation... you are a revelation!

* You disappear into my skin so quickly! My skin is in the best condition it's been in since childhood. Please stay good to me, Active Hydrating Cream, and you will have a home forever. :)

on 6/22/2011 4:17:00 AM

It's my go-to moisturizer. My skin is changing and I needed something heavy for the sudden dryness I'm experiencing. I like it very much, but I would like some miracle product right now...however, I will stick to this one for now.

on 6/21/2011 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I switched to this moisturizer last month after finishing a tub of another moisturizer. I really like this since it's currently Winter here so this has been good to help soothe my dry itchy skin and help prevent flakes. Not very greasy and absorbs easily and doesn't leave an oily film afterwards. The formula is quite rich so a little goes a long way. It smells super good too!

on 6/13/2011 11:50:00 PM

I am currently using this moisturizer day and night but I am looking for something better that will make my face feel more moisturized. With that said, let me tell you why I am using this right now. I have rosacea and because of that just about anything I put on my face makes my face red, burn, and promotes inflammation. This face cream doesn't do any of that, and, it's nice under makeup. My main complaints: my skin still feels tight after I apply this and I think I might be getting some cystic acne, but I'm not too sure about that. Still, until I find something better.
Update: I've decided to stop using this since it wasn't doing anything good for me.

on 5/29/2011 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I like the active fluid, needed something heavier in texture it was only around 6 dollars at Target, and it's great, use it mainly for a night time cream i really like the consistency and texture, it's hydrating! the smell is the same as the lotion form, this will be great for winter.

on 4/28/2011 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This product does moisturize. But it made me BREAK OUT! I have oily acne prone skin that gets dry in places at time due to the salicylic acid in my foundation. So I was looking for a heavier moisturiser for night time. At first I really liked this. It really hydrated my skin. It didn't leave it oily and absorbed nicely. I've used other Olay moisturizers with no problem but I realized after a week or so when using this product I would wake up in the morning with acne! My acne was under control and I would usually get the occasional "Rudolf" but the number of pimples I was getting was ridiculous. I began to really think about what was causing the breakouts. I didn't use this moisturizer for a night and when I checked on my face I had no new pimples! It's been a few days since I've put the Olay moisturizer aside and my skin is healing and the breakouts have stopped. This is going right in the trash. Maybe its just my skin it did this to. Please note that if you don't have dry skin you maybe shouldn't use this.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Love this. I only use it as a night cream before I go to sleep. Feels thick but once applied to the skin, my skin feels super moisturizer and light. Has a strong baby powder/medicinal but it doesn't stay long. Def will repurchase!

So I've been using this for a little less than a year. My little tub is 2/3 done and I have to say I'm liking this simple product more than some of the pricier, fancier moisturizers I've tried. I have normal to combination skin, and I've never felt the need to use a moisturizer until I broke out with acne last year and started using toners that dried out my face.

Pros: This product did a great job of restoring the moisture to my skin and ridding it of the dry, flaky feel. It does not leave your skin shiny so it's perfect for use during the day. In fact, it's the only moisturizer I've tried that looks natural under my bare minerals foundation. The texture is light and very easy to smooth onto the skin. It also absorbs very quickly.

Cons: The only issues I have with this product is the old lady/medicinal smell (which fades shortly, making it bearable). It also comes in a jar, which isn't sanitary, so I have to use a q-tip or clean fingers to scoop it out. Lastly, it isn't moisturizing enough for the winter months. I've gotten dry patches on my face even after piling this on generously. I'm trying another moisturizer (pond's dry skin cream) which is more emollient and took care of my dry patches, but it does leave my skin looking oily! I will use pond's at night and olay during the day until i find a better product!

on 2/25/2011 11:37:00 PM

Skin type: Dry/Sensitive and if not properly balanced acne-prone.

Okay so it seems like people are reviewing both the cream and the beauty lotion under this title. Since I've tried both I will review them both here.

Beauty Lotion:

This lotion is supposed to be lighter than the cream, but I find this one doesn't sink into my skin as well. I don't use it on damp skin, so maybe that's the problem. It didn't make my skin super shiny, but it just sat on top of my skin, and it stayed tacky/sticky-like. It seems like ingredient-wise the only difference really is the lotion has mineral oil and the cream has petroleum. This one is in a bottle with a small hole in the top, squeeze bottle type. I won't repurchase this one. This didn't sting my sensitive skin.

Hydrating Cream:

I absolutely love this. This goes on so smooth and my face plumps up and gets really soft. It doesn't leave a shine at all. I can use this in the morning. As for the scent, it was a little off-putting at first (smells a little like baby lotion), but if fades really fast and doesn't cause any migraines. I have actually grown to like it, because I now associate it with dewy glowing skin (forgot to mention the beauty lotion has the same smell). This didn't sting or irritate my sensitive skin.

I think the tub looks really pretty it's a light pink with a black lid. This is very affordable and readily available. It's about $8 or so. FYI: The "Night of Olay Firming Cream" has pretty much the same ingredients. I love them both!!

I will definitely continue to repurchase both, the Night of Olay and the Hydrating Cream.

The review (lippies) is for the Active Hydrating Cream.