April 18, 2014 | 929 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Active Hydrating Cream - Original

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by emotasticlips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product does moisturize. But it made me BREAK OUT! I have oily acne prone skin that gets dry in places at time due to the salicylic acid in my foundation. So I was looking for a heavier moisturiser for night time. At first I really liked this. It really hydrated my skin. It didn't leave it oily and absorbed nicely. I've used other Olay moisturizers with no problem but I realized after a week or so when using this product I would wake up in the morning with acne! My acne was under control and I would usually get the occasional "Rudolf" but the number of pimples I was getting was ridiculous. I began to really think about what was causing the breakouts. I didn't use this moisturizer for a night and when I checked on my face I had no new pimples! It's been a few days since I've put the Olay moisturizer aside and my skin is healing and the breakouts have stopped. This is going right in the trash. Maybe its just my skin it did this to. Please note that if you don't have dry skin you maybe shouldn't use this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this. I only use it as a night cream before I go to sleep. Feels thick but once applied to the skin, my skin feels super moisturizer and light. Has a strong baby powder/medicinal but it doesn't stay long. Def will repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by cutierochellie

So I've been using this for a little less than a year. My little tub is 2/3 done and I have to say I'm liking this simple product more than some of the pricier, fancier moisturizers I've tried. I have normal to combination skin, and I've never felt the need to use a moisturizer until I broke out with acne last year and started using toners that dried out my face.

Pros: This product did a great job of restoring the moisture to my skin and ridding it of the dry, flaky feel. It does not leave your skin shiny so it's perfect for use during the day. In fact, it's the only moisturizer I've tried that looks natural under my bare minerals foundation. The texture is light and very easy to smooth onto the skin. It also absorbs very quickly.

Cons: The only issues I have with this product is the old lady/medicinal smell (which fades shortly, making it bearable). It also comes in a jar, which isn't sanitary, so I have to use a q-tip or clean fingers to scoop it out. Lastly, it isn't moisturizing enough for the winter months. I've gotten dry patches on my face even after piling this on generously. I'm trying another moisturizer (pond's dry skin cream) which is more emollient and took care of my dry patches, but it does leave my skin looking oily! I will use pond's at night and olay during the day until i find a better product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by jaqi16

Skin type: Dry/Sensitive and if not properly balanced acne-prone.

Okay so it seems like people are reviewing both the cream and the beauty lotion under this title. Since I've tried both I will review them both here.

Beauty Lotion:

This lotion is supposed to be lighter than the cream, but I find this one doesn't sink into my skin as well. I don't use it on damp skin, so maybe that's the problem. It didn't make my skin super shiny, but it just sat on top of my skin, and it stayed tacky/sticky-like. It seems like ingredient-wise the only difference really is the lotion has mineral oil and the cream has petroleum. This one is in a bottle with a small hole in the top, squeeze bottle type. I won't repurchase this one. This didn't sting my sensitive skin.

Hydrating Cream:

I absolutely love this. This goes on so smooth and my face plumps up and gets really soft. It doesn't leave a shine at all. I can use this in the morning. As for the scent, it was a little off-putting at first (smells a little like baby lotion), but if fades really fast and doesn't cause any migraines. I have actually grown to like it, because I now associate it with dewy glowing skin (forgot to mention the beauty lotion has the same smell). This didn't sting or irritate my sensitive skin.

I think the tub looks really pretty it's a light pink with a black lid. This is very affordable and readily available. It's about $8 or so. FYI: The "Night of Olay Firming Cream" has pretty much the same ingredients. I love them both!!

I will definitely continue to repurchase both, the Night of Olay and the Hydrating Cream.

The review (lippies) is for the Active Hydrating Cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by kim316

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Like many, I used this when I was in high school, young and broke, it was the only thing I could afford. Oh that smell, sure brings me back, lol. I have never had a problem using this back then. My mother used it also, I think it was called Oil of Olay or something like that. Anyway, I broke out with a rashy, red blotchy break out all over my face New Year's day...pretty I know. Nothing like looking like a pizza when your family is coming over for New Years dinner. My mother (from the old school) told me to stop using "all that other stuff" and just use the Olay pink stuff I used when I was in high school. I tried to tell her the stuff I'm using is alot better and more healthy for your skin. Well the next day, I went to the nearest CVS and purchased the original pink smelly lotion. I wore it all day Sunday (my face wasn't so red and blotchy at the end of the day) and Monday to work under my regular foundation. Tuesday at work I received complements on my skin. I would of never thought about using this pink lotion potion ever again, boy was I wrong. There is a reason this formula stuck around so long...it works period. No greasy feel, slips on nicely, lotion is not thick and heavy, wears well under foundation and oh that smell. It doesn't smell bad, it just smells, well old I guess or maybe just of old memories. For the record, my mother also used this stuff called Rose Milk. She would use this on her hands right before the Lawrence Welk show on TV. I feel as if I took a retro trip. One thing is for sure, sometimes with technology and the "all natural" kick products have linked themselves to, Olay original has survived the test of time and I'm back using it again after many years and loving it. I will def repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by blossom844

I love this cream! It's simple, no frills or SPF or anything, but incredibly moisturizing. It's creamy and thick, yet doesn't go on too heavily or oily, and it leaves a nice matte finish. It's undoubtedly one of the best moisturizers for the price. My favorite part is that it's pink and smells SO pretty! Definitely a classic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Paigey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Many creams tend to break me out because of added fragrance. This is not one of them. This moisturizer kicks any department store cream's butt. It's the perfect amount of moisture for the winter. I doubt I'll be able to use it in the summer during the day, but could work wonders as a night cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by meadows827

This is a good daily moisturizer for my oily-acne prone face. It moisturizes well without being greasy. I like that it doesn't break me out and it give me enough moisture without the oily look. It's not great on really dry skin but overall I have been sticking to this as my daily moisturizer. I would like if it was in a dispenser than a tub, just for hygienic purposes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by rockmysock97

I love this moisturizer i put this on before my makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by cristalle65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I only object to the name, there is nothing active in it and thats what I like. Its a smooth gel/cream with beautiful rose fragrance. Doesn't break me out, and I am very prone to that. I bought this because it doesnt have any sunscreen or anti-aging or anti-acne ingredients. I needed something like this to use on top of my aha cream and anti-aging serum, neither of which provide enough moisture. This provides me a matte finish, and my skin doesn't grease up after a few hours so I use it under makeup by itself also. I will repurchase this. The smell reminds me of my grandmother,she was beautiful..