November 26, 2014 | 1729 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 4:07:00 AM More reviews by aiislyn

I was given this perfume as a gift from a dear friend who managed the Lancome booths in a Dillard's store. It was a tester that she brought home that had probably been sprayed less than 20 times.

In the bottle, or the air, it seems almost sickeningly sweet like root beer. But once it is on my skin, it dries down into a lovely deep vanilla-musk. I love vanillas and I was afraid after reading reviews it would remain root beer-y but alas, I am fortunate to have good chemistry with this perfume.

It lasts forever and, while it is a winter scent, I will wear it anytime, anywhere it is so good.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by ILoveBrody

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tested this in the store. I found it too sweet for my tastes. I was expecting an elegant and mature scent but this reminded me of a perfume young teenagers would wear. It smelled like Kellogg's Fruit Loops to me. Which is not something I aspire to smell like, no hard feelings Toucan Sam. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by coffeecupcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I didn't buy this, but I tested it out in the store, and it smells exactly like Play Doh. Not a very sexy, sweet, or mysterious scent. If you want this smell, just rub Playdoh on your wrists, you will smell the same lol.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by aleachhunter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this perfume after spraying it on a tester, thinking it smelled pretty good. OMG. What was I thinking??? A few other people have compared it to Play-doh or plastic. That's about the reaction I had too. I sprayed it on my wrist, took one sniff, and promptly washed it off... except the darn scent was still there! It took several days and many washings to get all of the stink to disappear. One of the grossest things I've ever smelled.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by itsmek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This was the first "real perfume" I owned, given to me as a gift nearly a decade ago by my parents. At the time, I was only familiar with two categories of perfume, "regular" and "grandma". The former was primarily comprised of the generic fruity floral blends favored by my peers, and the latter consisted of anything that deviated from it.
Hypnotic Poison was the perfume that seemed to break this mold. It was far less straightforward and darker than the scents favored by my peers, yet was light and sweet enough to avoid falling into the category of old lady. It seemed to project mystery. One sniff and I was hooked.
For years, this was the sole perfume I owned. I would douse myself in it before heading to school. Initially, it would be perfume perfection- a mixture of almond, sandalwood, musk and vanilla that could perhaps be best described as an adult root beer. Inevitably, after a few hours I would be left with a dry down not unlike the coppery smell of blood. Yet I persisted in wearing it for some bizarre reason, to stubborn to admit the perfume didn't work on me. Eventually, I wound up giving it up to my sister.
I was at a shop this past weekend and they had this perfume on the counter. Nostalgic, I decided to give it a try for old times sake. To my nose, it smelled quite different-there was no obvious changes is notes, the whole thing seemed to have a different feel (for the lack of a better term). Previously to my nose Hypnotic Poison possessed a slightly nostril stinging, faintly metallic effervescence-giving it an almost carbonated feel. Now it's much more quite-still and straightforward. The mystery is gone.
That being said, I still think that this is a good perfume for people looking to branch away from the typical fruits and florals marketed to women. This is due to the familiarity and comfort provided by the vanilla, with none of the heavy feel that sometimes comes with orientals.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

On good days, it reminds me of the beach with a little suntan lotion and the saltwater taffy factory wafting its scent over the aged wood planks of the boardwalk. And a little of that wonderful Suave Milk & Honey handsoap.

On "bad chemistry" days, it reminds me of this guy that I dated in high school who had a strong vanilla air freshener in his car and wore loads of Drakkar Noir. I'm sure we must have stopped for a root beer soda somewhere on that drive.

It does get compliments and my DH loves it, but I always wish I picked something else to wear on the days I have this on. Don't let my review stop you from trying this popular and well-liked perfume, try for yourself and see where it takes you.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Ohh2pretty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had a friend who wore this daily- made my son almost get an asthma attack he couldn't be around her...Sets off a migraine/sinus headache with me!
Horrible scent! Truly smells like bug spray....ANT POISON....sickly sweet and heavy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

booooom!!right in your face,no mercy...
sticky sexy and gourmand almonds in ammaretto liqueur...
amazingly gourmand,soft, maybe a bit over the top, but exquisite winter treat...
sexy to the heaven and back....you can't go unnoticed with this one....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by flexychesca

A bit on the pricey side but so worth it. Whenever i use this fragrance a lot of people always ask me what it is. It's quite strong but has a really unique scent! Would definitely purchase again!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by rorygils

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely perfume, oriental vanilla sweet and creamy. It does smell like rootbeer float in a sophisticated way to me if you know what I mean. The longevity is good even for the edt. It probably not for everyone but if you like yummy oriental vanilla perfume, you should check this one out!