August 28, 2014 | 1398 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by aleachhunter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this perfume after spraying it on a tester, thinking it smelled pretty good. OMG. What was I thinking??? A few other people have compared it to Play-doh or plastic. That's about the reaction I had too. I sprayed it on my wrist, took one sniff, and promptly washed it off... except the darn scent was still there! It took several days and many washings to get all of the stink to disappear. One of the grossest things I've ever smelled.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by itsmek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was the first "real perfume" I owned, given to me as a gift nearly a decade ago by my parents. At the time, I was only familiar with two categories of perfume, "regular" and "grandma". The former was primarily comprised of the generic fruity floral blends favored by my peers, and the latter consisted of anything that deviated from it.
Hypnotic Poison was the perfume that seemed to break this mold. It was far less straightforward and darker than the scents favored by my peers, yet was light and sweet enough to avoid falling into the category of old lady. It seemed to project mystery. One sniff and I was hooked.
For years, this was the sole perfume I owned. I would douse myself in it before heading to school. Initially, it would be perfume perfection- a mixture of almond, sandalwood, musk and vanilla that could perhaps be best described as an adult root beer. Inevitably, after a few hours I would be left with a dry down not unlike the coppery smell of blood. Yet I persisted in wearing it for some bizarre reason, to stubborn to admit the perfume didn't work on me. Eventually, I wound up giving it up to my sister.
I was at a shop this past weekend and they had this perfume on the counter. Nostalgic, I decided to give it a try for old times sake. To my nose, it smelled quite different-there was no obvious changes is notes, the whole thing seemed to have a different feel (for the lack of a better term). Previously to my nose Hypnotic Poison possessed a slightly nostril stinging, faintly metallic effervescence-giving it an almost carbonated feel. Now it's much more quite-still and straightforward. The mystery is gone.
That being said, I still think that this is a good perfume for people looking to branch away from the typical fruits and florals marketed to women. This is due to the familiarity and comfort provided by the vanilla, with none of the heavy feel that sometimes comes with orientals.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

On good days, it reminds me of the beach with a little suntan lotion and the saltwater taffy factory wafting its scent over the aged wood planks of the boardwalk. And a little of that wonderful Suave Milk & Honey handsoap.

On "bad chemistry" days, it reminds me of this guy that I dated in high school who had a strong vanilla air freshener in his car and wore loads of Drakkar Noir. I'm sure we must have stopped for a root beer soda somewhere on that drive.

It does get compliments and my DH loves it, but I always wish I picked something else to wear on the days I have this on. Don't let my review stop you from trying this popular and well-liked perfume, try for yourself and see where it takes you.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Ohh2pretty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had a friend who wore this daily- made my son almost get an asthma attack he couldn't be around her...Sets off a migraine/sinus headache with me!
Horrible scent! Truly smells like bug spray....ANT POISON....sickly sweet and heavy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

booooom!!right in your face,no mercy...
sticky sexy and gourmand almonds in ammaretto liqueur...
amazingly gourmand,soft, maybe a bit over the top, but exquisite winter treat...
sexy to the heaven and back....you can't go unnoticed with this one....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by flexychesca

A bit on the pricey side but so worth it. Whenever i use this fragrance a lot of people always ask me what it is. It's quite strong but has a really unique scent! Would definitely purchase again!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by rorygils

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely perfume, oriental vanilla sweet and creamy. It does smell like rootbeer float in a sophisticated way to me if you know what I mean. The longevity is good even for the edt. It probably not for everyone but if you like yummy oriental vanilla perfume, you should check this one out!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by vaniwanda

One of my favourites perfumes for winter and autumn !!!! I guess that most women know that is a vainilla perfum!! Well I love it! is so femenine, so sweet, so provocative!! You feel like a sex symbol with it :D aahahah. I guess that is for women from around 23 to 65...so abarcative! I just use it for important things, like job, meetings, going to the shopping, is not for a simple walk, or gym.....men will love you!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by parisbyrum19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so i've been wearing hypnotic poison since i was 15, i'm 19 now and i still LOVE this fragrance, Everyone who knows me knows hypnotic poison is me and i couldn't agree more! i am in love with this fragrance, it's strong yet subtle, very warm and i get what people say about the root beer smell on first spray, but that literally disappears and the dry down is the most gorgeous warm almond/vanilla, very cozy! I get compliments whenever i wear this and don't usually find myself reapplying as this stuff is so damn strong, i'm definitely one of those people who sprays perfume like's it's going out of fashion, but with this stuff literally less is more and i'm fare skinned so it take's alot for a fragrance to stick, my mother could smell me across the room and i literally sprayed this once when i got out the shower, 'mmmm hypnotic poison' are her words whenever i wear this, with the endless compliments, MONSTER sillage, heavenly scent, this perfume is staying with me forever, its ME!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by aceybabe

I'm with you eletroheart I do not get this fragrance at all. Foolishly I bought this from smelling it from the bottle and it was in a gift pack for Xmas. I wore it for the second time tonight and I couldn't wait to get home and shower. Sweet, cloying and cheap sums it up. I almost felt like standing a little further apart from people at this party it was so hideous. Now even after I've showered I can still smell it. When will it end! Will give this away tomorrow to someone..anyone. Try this in your skin guys and see if you can sit with it for the whole day. Be warned, it's as subtle as a gun and it may just drive you nuts..in a bad way.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No