Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate(Chamomile (chamomilla recutita) extract), Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol(anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory), Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate(vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate(licorice root extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben 5/29/09

on 8/28/2013 2:25:00 AM

This was the cleanser that my sister brought home after visiting her dermatologist about her cystic acne. While my skin is not as troubled as hers, I do get blemishes (for which I use a prescribed topical acne lotion), so I thought I would try this cleanser as well. I have noticed great improvement to my complexion ever since.

As for the product itself: I love its creamy texture, as well as the fact that it is so gentle, with no added sulphates or fragrances. I use it every morning and it leaves my skin soft and fresh, never tight. I also use it in the evenings but I always remove my makeup with a facial wipe or makeup remover first, as I find this makes cleansing more effective (I do this regardless the type of cleanser I am using). If you are not one to do this, by itself this cleanser won't be enough for makeup removal because it doesn't lather or foam, as many others have attested to. If you are looking for a good foaming cleanser that doesn't strip the skin, I'd recommend Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser. I use this in summer when my skin has more oil but soon as any dryness presents itself, I come back to the Extra Gentle.

In regards to the packaging: the pump is great for keeping in the shower or vanity cupboard but inconvenient for travelling. I wish it also came in a tube with a cap, like some of the cleansers from Olay (another good brand to consider).

That being said, this is a lovely cleanser, gentle and affordable, recommended by my sister's dermatologist and me too.

on 7/25/2013 10:50:00 AM

For those who are interested in non-stripping, basic cleansers such as this, i suggest to take a look at Aquanil's cleanser too.

I used this as a teenager so what you read is what I recall. I do intend on trying this again to compare it to Aquanil's cleanser, which I am using now.

The cleanser has a light consistency. It is gentle in application and washes off easily. Using it is like a refreshing rinse. It's better than just splashing water on your face and I think that's enough, especially in the morning or after a sweat. I think it will be soothing for those with sensitive, dry, or acne prone skin.

Don't expect makeup or thick grime to be removed with this. If what you have on your skin is oil based or something that must be scrubbed off, then do not rely on this. It will not remove foundation thoroughly. for instance, If you had vaseline on your face and then used this cleanser to remove it, don't expect the vaseline to just rinse away.

on 6/3/2013 2:00:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Well, it is gentle and doesn't leave my face feeling dried out as most cleansers do. That's nice. By the same token, I'm not convinced that it removes my face makeup properly. On days when I've been using BB cream, I've had to use my usual cleanser to dissolve it because it definitely doesn't get through makeup of that sort, so I'm not confident as to its efficacy in removing primers, either.

It's nice to have double insurance that every last skerrick of makeup is removed but, to be honest, between my eye makeup remover, my usual cleanser and my toner, I'm squeaky-clean from the top of my hairline to my decollage already. Basically, I'm just using it because it seems a shame to throw it out.

One thing I have noticed is that, since starting the bottle (it's nearly finished now), I seem to have developed a few tiny blackheads around my nose which is something I haven't had issues with for years. It may just be a coincidence but, considering that I was expecting something that would really cleanse my face and not just something to slather on and wash off to feel as though I've cleansed my face, it's not worth the money or room in my already overstuffed bathroom cabinet.

Why do I get the feeling that I'd do just a well just washing my face with tepid water... or using my sorbolene cream (the pure stuff)?

on 5/14/2013 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I bought this cleanser because it's made for sensitive skin and it's fragrance free. However I didn't realize it was a non foaming cleanse until I tried it for the first time. It looks and feels like lotion and well, it feels like your washing your face with lotion. It also did not do a very good job of removing my makeup. I have to say though it is a truly gentle cleanser. It did not cause any break outs for me. It's very moisturizing as well. So if your a person with dry sensitive skin you may want to give this product a try. This just wasn't quite what I was looking for in a facial cleanser. I think foaming cleaners do an overall better job of cleansing and removing makeup.

on 5/5/2013 8:29:00 PM

It does not take my makeup off at all therefore I do not use it and wasted my money. When I get out of the shower and dry my face there is a heap off makeup that has come off on my towel. You would need to take your makeup off first with a face wipe before using it but doesnt that defeat the purpose of a cleaner? Its kind of like washing your face with a cream, it does not foam up at all which I dont like.

on 5/5/2013 8:17:00 PM

I was just about to give up on Neutrogena products because I have had awful experiences in the past trying facial scrubs and cleansers from this line. It broke out my face so badly that i had to layer on the makeup to hide how bad it was. I decided to give it one last try when i saw the extra gentle cleanser. I have to admit it caught my eye when it said 'extra gentle' because my skin was so broken out and irritated that i needed a very gentle cleanser to help relieve it. I became a huge fan this cleanser because it is unscented (no irritation), nice consistency (is not greasy or sticky), and completely helps remove all makeup without leaving my skin feeling dry afterwards. Within a few weeks of using my face looked much better and i feel that this face wash saved my skin from the train wreck it was before.

on 5/5/2013 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This cleanser is very close to ideal for my physically thin, dry skin. I cannot use detergent-based cleansers.

First, the (minor) caveats. The current formulation does have geranium. Though not an irritant for me, it does not seem to be absolutely fragrance free. It is very soft and neutral against the skin, but it stings if it gets into my eyes. A non-issue, as I use a separate eye makeup remover in any case. While it can handle light makeup, it is not a powerful cleanser. Its aim is to be 'extra gentle', after all.

Apply generously to dry skin---one or two pumps will do. I work it in, so that the light, silky-textured emollients (capric/caprylic triglyceride, cetyl ricinoleate, and isohexadecane) can start disintegrating oils and makeup. Then, I rinse my hands. With wet hands, I massage the skin again. The surfactants will kick in, and you should see the product lift from the skin and rinse clean, taking all objectionables in its wake. This method is less time-consuming than it sounds, once you get the knack, and surprisingly effective: you wouldn't expect your laundry to come out clean from detergent alone, the agitator does most of the work. Basically, the friction from my fingers compensates (and theoretically, you could add a muslin cloth) for the mildness of the formula.

As for the rest, it's less than $7 for 200ml, and easy to source anywhere. Cheaper, the better.

INGREDIENTS Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 5/1/2013 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

One of the few cleansers that I can share with my husband. I have dry skin, he has combination, and we both don't do well with foaming cleansers. This is one of the best drugstore cleansers - unscented, milky consistency, removes my makeup well for as long as I use a cotton pad prior to rinsing, and it rinses extremely clean without making the skin feel tight or dry. Prior to this, we were sharing an organic brand of cleanser that cost three times as much, so I'm happy to have found this alternative!

on 4/9/2013 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is one of my HG products. I have dry skin & most cleansers just strip my skin but this really does moisturize my skin while leaving it soft & clean. This will calm even the most irritated & dry skins too which I love. I use this every morning & this really is the only cleanser that doesn't strip or leave a weird film. I highly recommend for anyone w/ dry or sensitive skin.

on 3/27/2013 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product saved my skin from trying out their pink grapefruit cleanser which dryed out my skin so badly. its very gentle and makes my skin feel really soft, alot of the reviews say that it didnt remove their makeup but when i cleansed twice all my makeup was gone (foundation, bronzer, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick) so im not sure why it didnt work for them. i really recommend this for girls with dry or sensitive skin :)