October 22, 2014 | 1810 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is very close to ideal for my physically thin, dry skin. I cannot use detergent-based cleansers.

First, the (minor) caveats. The current formulation does have geranium. Though not an irritant for me, it does not seem to be absolutely fragrance free. It is very soft and neutral against the skin, but it stings if it gets into my eyes. A non-issue, as I use a separate eye makeup remover in any case. While it can handle light makeup, it is not a powerful cleanser. Its aim is to be 'extra gentle', after all.

Apply generously to dry skin---one or two pumps will do. I work it in, so that the light, silky-textured emollients (capric/caprylic triglyceride, cetyl ricinoleate, and isohexadecane) can start disintegrating oils and makeup. Then, I rinse my hands. With wet hands, I massage the skin again. The surfactants will kick in, and you should see the product lift from the skin and rinse clean, taking all objectionables in its wake. This method is less time-consuming than it sounds, once you get the knack, and surprisingly effective: you wouldn't expect your laundry to come out clean from detergent alone, the agitator does most of the work. Basically, the friction from my fingers compensates (and theoretically, you could add a muslin cloth) for the mildness of the formula.

As for the rest, it's less than $7 for 200ml, and easy to source anywhere. Cheaper, the better.

INGREDIENTS Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

One of the few cleansers that I can share with my husband. I have dry skin, he has combination, and we both don't do well with foaming cleansers. This is one of the best drugstore cleansers - unscented, milky consistency, removes my makeup well for as long as I use a cotton pad prior to rinsing, and it rinses extremely clean without making the skin feel tight or dry. Prior to this, we were sharing an organic brand of cleanser that cost three times as much, so I'm happy to have found this alternative!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by 80sglamrock

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is one of my HG products. I have dry skin & most cleansers just strip my skin but this really does moisturize my skin while leaving it soft & clean. This will calm even the most irritated & dry skins too which I love. I use this every morning & this really is the only cleanser that doesn't strip or leave a weird film. I highly recommend for anyone w/ dry or sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 9:52:00 AM More reviews by neevebabyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product saved my skin from trying out their pink grapefruit cleanser which dryed out my skin so badly. its very gentle and makes my skin feel really soft, alot of the reviews say that it didnt remove their makeup but when i cleansed twice all my makeup was gone (foundation, bronzer, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick) so im not sure why it didnt work for them. i really recommend this for girls with dry or sensitive skin :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by AngelPHalligan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I have oily super sensitive skin with some acne and it started to get red these days, that's when I decided to switch to a Neutrogena cleanser after reading lots of reviews. When I first used this product it felt a little weird on my skin, very dry and my whole face got pink and itchy. I was like ,, oh no I gotta stop using it" but then the next morning when I woke up my skin was fair and smooth, still oily but a little bit better so I decided to keep using it. Its been 3 days now and I can say I love this cleanser. My acne heal up and the redness is gone. Yes it makes my skin moist and sometimes I feel like it doenst really clean my skin, what I do is that I rinse it off with plenty of water then let my skin dry itself, it makes my skin so smooth and nice.
Highly recommend, just make sure you rinse it well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 9:34:00 AM More reviews by sjbst17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

cetaphil which i used for many years, clogs my pores
cerave eventually also caused breakouts (it is high in ceramides and these may cause some people problems)
this product is my current favorite - it does not clog my pores AT ALL. It is gentle and I can wipe off with toilet paper or kleenex
my skin is very sensitive and acne prone (cystic) and almost all foaming cleansers or cleansers that you rinse off with water compromise my lipid barrier - not so with this product. Since I switched to this product - my skin is not breaking out any more. I also am using acne.org: 1 pump bp, then a dime of paula's choice 2pct salicylic acid liquid, 10% pure vit C serum and two pumps of acne.org moisturizer with a couple drops of acne.org jojoba (some jojoba oils may block pores - may depend on manufacturing process? nut quality? Not sure! So happy that this brand is working great for me - it actually balances oil production over time). If I start to get a pimple (eg: monthly related issues) a put a big drop of acne.org 10% glycolic and it's resolved quickly never gets inflamed. my skin is clear and i in part credit this gentle cleanser than does not mess up my skin's moisture barrier. don't wipe hard, go slowly and your skin should not be tugged - it should not move at all! You can also rinse with water, but then your skin will be left less moisturized. I wish it came in a larger bottle. It gets a bit expensive for this reason and you should use plenty so you don't tug. I do 2-3 passes depending on how much makeup i have on. I don't wear a lot of foundation. I removed waterproof eye makeup and mascara with the previously mentioned jojoba oil. Make sure that your kleenex comes clean!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by xoxlovely

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My skin didn't like this product at all. A few days after using this cleanser I noticed blemishes on my forehead and cheeks. Will not repurchase ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Dauntlless

Wow! I really like this! I'm not the sort of person who spends too much $$$$$$ on their cleansers, and for $12 canadian, on sale for $8 was awesome! I bough the toner too.

A friend told me about this product and she has perfect skin, I tried this, along with the toner and within 2 days I noticed a drastic difference in my skin. My freckles have faded, and redness is reduced!

It removes light makeup very well, but if you heap on foundation, I don't know if it would be right for makeup removal.

My skin thanks me ;)

*note: I used to use clean and clear, a great product line, but I like this better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 7:17:00 AM More reviews by FlawedAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I do like this cleanser. It has the consistancy of a light lotion. It is soap-free and does not lather, yet I would not call this a traditional cream cleanser because it is not as rich feeling. I like that it leaves my skin feeling clean, but not tight and dry. I definately think this is a good product for sensitive, dry and/or mature skin. For reference, I am not acne or clog prone, so I can't speak to whether or not this will work on finicky skin. Love that this is truly fragrance free, and the clean pump packaging is also great. On the down side, I find that that even if I use a wascloth rather than just massaging in with my fingers, i find patches of makeup left of my face after cleansing. Of similar qualities but more efficient is St. Ives Makeup Remover & Facial Cleanser ($3.99 at Ulta). It is a bit richer, but removes all my SS and makeup. I use the Neutrogena cleanser on days I don't have much product on, however if you are looking for something gentle that will remove all traces of product, this is not it. Wish I could use it everyday, but on days I am wearing serum, SS and heavy fndt, this doesn't work. I get it for $7.99 on drugstore.com (NA) and I definately suggest it to those looking for a light, non-drying, non-soap cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 3:52:00 PM More reviews by jenny4m

The product is gentle and cleans well. My face is not too dry after cleaning my face. I usually use this once every night before applying on my Tiki Rebirth Night Cream.