April 18, 2014 | 929 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by tanni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Review for Laura Mercierís Secret Camouflage

This product is camouflage concealer at its best. The term ďcamouflage concealerĒ is in reference to a high-pigmented, full coverage cream, that can be used on some of the deepest discolorations and imperfections. Camouflage creams are especially useful for those of us who tend to have acne breakouts, since it completely covers the red, purple, grey and brown discolorations associated with the various stages of active and healing breakouts. Camouflage creams are also ideal for a multitude of other imperfections, such as redness, broken capillaries, scars, sun spots and dark discolorations of the skin.

The downside to camouflage cream is that, because itís so full coverage, if you donít use it properly and have the exact match to your skin tone, it can actually worsen your flaws by highlighting them with an improper color. Before using Laura Mercierís product, the only time Iíd ever used camouflage cream-type products was when I was able to use palette in a wide range of colors in various undertones and shade depths to create a perfect match. This is impractical for everyday, personal use however, and I think Laura Mercier must have known this when she created this product.

Secret Camouflage comes in 8 shade ranges, SC-1 to SC-8, each range consisting of 2 colors, a lighter one and a deeper one. This allows you to customize your shade, as long as you pick the right range. This is helpful for people who have a hard time finding matches, and also for people whose skin changes in depth throughout the seasons. I own and use range SC-4, and I am a medium, warm skintone. Go to the bottom of this review for a list of my foundation matches for color reference.

Application: This camouflage cream is best patted on with fingers or a brush, and then blended. Laura Mercierís tip is to take a flat paddle concealer brush, and pick up one color on each side in equal amounts, and then blend the two shades on your hand. I think this is a good place to start, but if the shade doesnít match right away, simply adjust the amount of each color you use to get your mix. Also, it is essential to warm up this product before applying, as is the case with most cream products. If youíre having trouble applying or blending it in, itís because you havenít gotten the product warm enough, or youíre applying in heavier layers. Itís very easy to do this by taking either your concealer brush, your finger, or a plastic or metal spatula and blending the two colors onto your palm. (I find this tends to sink in to the back of my hand and I use more product) Personally, I use a metal spatula, pick up some of each color on either sides of the spatula, and then I deposit the cream onto the fleshy part of my palm. I then take the spatula and pat and blend until both colors are incorporated, a method akin to kneading dough. I do this until I get an almost liquid consistency (it doesnít take too long) and then apply with either a brush or my fingers.

Concealer for undereyes, or only the face?:

I hear many different things from people (but I also hear things like one side is for undereye and the other is for your face) but I would say, as long as you apply this in thin layers, once youíve warmed it up adequately, you can use this for both. If youíre prone to creasing, however (like I am) you may get some creasing throughout the day. This personally bothers me, so I donít use it on my undereye area. Instead, this is my workhorse concealer for my acne spots, old scarring, broken capillaries and redness (non-rosacia surface redness). Iíve even worn this as a full coverage foundation once, and while I donít think I really needed the coverage all over, it wore well on my mild-combination skin, looked natural and non-cakey and it felt very comfortable as I wore it through the day.

I think anyone who is looking for extra coverage because of skin problems will find a good friend in this product.

Foundation/concealer matches: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX08, Becca Luminous Skin Color in Toast, Becca dual-coverage concealer in Macadamia, Becca Radiant Satin Finish Foundation in Nude, Becca Mineral Makeup in Nude, Mac Studio Fix powder in NC35, Tarte Maracuja Creaseless concealer in Medium, Shiseido Stick foundation in O40, Shiseido Perfect Refining foundation in O60, YSL Touche Eclat foundation in BD50, Nars Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer in St. Moritz and Laura Mercier Original Tinted Moisturizer in Sand

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by sleepytimesamba

I am happy with this product, while it is thick and not that easy to blend I find that this is what I want for covering up spots, small blemishes and redness. I also find it useful on under-eye circles but perhaps it could be better at this. It is so much better than the MAC concealer I was using previously. I find that I am able to match the colour to perfectly match my skin tone. I'm also pleased with how long this lasts, I have been using for 3 months and it is nowhere near finishing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by MrsDelax

I suffer with breakouts, so to me, this is a lifesaver! I don't use under my eyes as it is dry, but for the coverage it gives me on my latest zit, i can deal with that. I'm only sorry I never found it sooner!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by FromNJ23

like the other user said, its not good for under eyes. its so thick and dry it is almost impossible to apply. I literally have to heat it up at my heater at home so i can apply it. Its great for blemishes but who the hell wants to pay 40$ for canceler JUST for blemishes? I don't think so.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Kerri8d

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Is not a good under eye concealer, but to correct roughness or red spots on your skin. But its not long lasting (half hour)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 4:33:00 AM More reviews by Natteyolala

My approaches for this product are diverse. I purchased nr 3 which the right color for me as my complexion is fair/medium. The product is quite hard, so you will have to melt it on back of your palm before applying it to the area required. I find it challenging to mix the 2 colors because of the intention stated. The consistency is quite parched which can give your face a dry and dehydrated appearance. I enjoyed the pigmentation of the concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Avawelles

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am amazed how many people are using this incorrectly. It is NOT an under eye concealer. It is for camouflaging small imperfections on your face.

Additionally, even if you don't need to blend the two colors to match your skin you CANNOT use it directly from the pan and expect it to work for you. In order for it to work, you take some from the pan with your brush and then warm it on the back of your hand for a bit. I promise you, it will turn very creamy and then you just dab a tiny bit on any imperfection, blot lightly with your fingertip, and it is akin to airbrushing. This is a highly pigmented, very dense concealer. If you match your skin color, warm it on your hand until it is creamy, and then use a small brush for pinpoint concealing, it is really unbelievable what this can do to make you have a flawless face.

I have been using this since 2004. Originally, because I am so fair, I bought it in SC-2. SC-3 actually seems to be a much more neutral color for fair skin and I was amazed how much better it worked for me once I changed shades. I know I said it already, but this really is like airbrushing.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by Elena1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have very mixed feelings about this concealer. It didn't meet fully my expectations. To be precise, I would give it not 4 but 3.5 stars.

The things I like:
1) It gives full coverage.
2) It is long wearing.
3) Two tones allow you to get the perfect shade you need
4) If you donít have dry skin under the eyes you might cover dark circles with this concealer (but to my opinion it is not the best concealer for such purposes, I personally prefer creamy texture for under eye area). But keep in mind that it gives a very mat finish, so better if you use foundation that gives mat finish as well, otherwise you will end up with dewy skin and mat under eye circles and the difference will look striking and not nice.
5) You need a very little product due to high level of pigment. I believe if to use it every single day it will be enough for 1-1.5 year.

The things I donít like:
1) In spite it conceals redness on my sensitive skin but it dries it out badly. So I donít agree it is suitable for all skin types.
2) When I need to apply this concealer on bigger areas (like to cover redness on my nose and cheeks) it doesnít work well with my concealer brush at all (though I have a good professional one that always worked well for me with other creamy concealers). When I apply it with my brush the concealer looks patchy. :( It works ok only when I need to cover a very tiny area like a blemish.
3) To conceal bigger areas I can apply it only with my fingertips as it is the only way for concealer to melt on my skin looking natural (I just scrape a bit with a spatula and mix it on the back of my hand. I think the best proportion 1:2 (dark colour: light colour). But obviously I cannot be very precise when applying it in such a way.
4) It doesnít work well on bare skin. It dries it out and looks patchy. It works ok only on foundation. Sometimes when I am in a hurry or donít feel like to apply a full make up, I donít use foundation but just conceal some areas, powder my skin and thatís it. This concealer is no-no product for such kind of makeup.

When it finishes I wonít repurchase it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My skin: very clog prone, oily/dehydrated, sensitive.
I purchased this to conceal hyperpigmentation and other spots around my face, not for under eye circles.
Pros:
-Compact has two shades, so you can mix to match your skin color
-Waxy texture is great for concealing spots/hyperpigmentation and other minor blemishes
-Excellent packaging, compact has mirror
Cons:
-Contains Isopropyl Myristate, which clogs my pores. Also contains Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, and Ascorbyl Palmitate, which are also somewhat problematic for me. I'd conceal a spot and get new zits near it.
Overall, this is an ok concealer. I didn't think it was anything amazing though. Beware if you're clog-prone/acne-prone. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by DixieJane

I love this concealer! I was unsure when buying it because it had such mixed reviews, but I took the plunge and figured what the heck I can return it.
It's a little tricky to use at first, and you need to have a short bristled concealer brush(you can get them cheap though, it doesn't have to be fancy). I read others who said to mix it on your hand, but I found that I couldn't pick it up well enough and I felt I was wasting the product (and lets face it, it's not cheap). So here's how I apply mine:
1) I open the case and place one (CLEAN) thumb directly onto the makeup for about 30sec. I do this to warm it up so that my brush can pick it up, and so that it will blend well into my skin.
2) I then remove my thumbs and using my makeup brush dab it into both side of pot to get my desired color.
3) I then apply the my makeup to my blemishes(acne) and scars(hyper-pigmentation). I try not to get the makeup on the skin surrounding the marks, just directly on them.
***Throughout applying the makeup I am pressing my other thumb against the makeup, switching back and forth between sides.
***I used Mary Kay Loose Mineral Foundation as a base before application, and I also apply my bronzer and blush before applying concealer. Then after concealing I apply another light layer of foundation powder.
UPDATE: I still loveee this concealer after about a month or so of use. But the whole idea of using my bacteria covered fingers in my makeup was getting to me, so I realized I could just use my hair dryer to heat up the concealer instead! Duh! Anyway, I just put my blow dryer on the hot setting and blow directly onto the concealer until I see a very light melt-y shine on the surface of the makeup. Then proceed as usual. Happy concealing!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No