September 22, 2014 | 1947 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Poison

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by stayce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been wanting to try this for myself for a while now, as the reviews seem to veer between calling it a tuberose godzilla that crushes all in its path, and a sweet and spicy perfume with hints of florals and red wine. I was hoping for the latter. I got the former. I was cautious enough to spray the air and briefly wave my wrist through it. For my troubles, I got the strongest, most nauseating tuberose (with grape juice undertones) I have ever smelled, and it gave me a headache to boot.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2010 1:20:00 PM More reviews by Shellson

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One of my favorite fragrances. Notes include sandalwood, cinnamon, musk and vanilla (how can you not love vanilla!). It's not really strong but it's not light either. It doesn't suffocate despite being a strong perfume and I actually like that it's not a light perfume because I love it so damn much!

Don't let the 80s-hate stop you from giving this a try. Nothing crapped out these days (hello celebrity fragrances) rivals Poison.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 3:51:00 AM More reviews by andrienneliew

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Perhaps alot might not agree with me with this, but I really do find this scent nice to wear and even my boyfriend finds nothing wrong with the scent(he's a straight to point person that will say whatever on his mind be it good or bad). I bought this during clearance sale 1.5 years ago and it's still a staple product in my wardrobe. i'll definitely repurchase this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by subhuman85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Apparently I was born in the wrong decade, or my nose is in need of re-calibration, or both: My tastes in fragrance seem rather out of step with those of the rest of my generation, as I simply adore the loud, heady, rich, potent concoctions from the '70s and '80s. Opium, Kouros, Obsession, Azzaro, Fahrenheit, Polo...oh, yes. Bring 'em on. Give me something I can chomp on, something I can smell an hour after I've sprayed it, something distinctive and unique. Give me a signature. Give me my money's worth.

I should point out that I've been cursed with the kind of skin chemistry that swallows fragrances like a black hole, so powerhouses like Poison don't scare me. Quite the opposite: I feel they're a necessity, a tonic for when I'm frustrated with new releases that smell great for the first 10 minutes and then fade away to nothing on my skin within an hour or two. Poison's volume, sillage, and potency are the stuff of legend; it's the quintessential "love it or hate it" perfume. (I suppose its '90s equivalent is Angel, and I don't think it has a 2000s equivalent - we're simply not living in the age of boisterous, polarizing perfumes anymore, and that's not necessarily a good thing.)

I recently tried Poison on a card in a perfume shop, itching to finally see what all the fuss was (and is) about. It was the fifth or sixth fragrance I'd tried that day, so I wasn't expecting it to stand out - my nose usually gets fatigued after a long day of sampling. I was wrong; it practically slapped me in the face with a rich, luscious berry note and a fistful of spices and honey. I almost laughed out loud - wow, they weren't kidding about this stuff! But it wasn't just strong and obnoxious, like the reviews led me to believe: It smelled GREAT, the quality of the ingredients and talent of the perfumer clearly evident. And this is supposedly the tamed, less potent current version! I can't imagine what the vintage '80s juice smelled like - it must have been the perfume equivalent of nerve gas. As it dries on the card, it turns sweeter and much more floral - the jasmine and tuberose notes are rendered in neon, backed by a curtain of incense and sweet woods. It's brutally feminine, in every sense of the phrase; this is no perfume for little girls. The sweetness occasionally strikes me as too much, calling to mind those Easter candies with the finger-staining shells and squishy, pasty white filling that's borderline nauseating, but perhaps that's because I'm smelling it on a card. My skin tends to soften sweet notes and enhance musk and woods, so I'm sure if I tested Poison on my skin it'd be slightly warmer and more sensual than the Death By Syrupy Florals potion it's rendered as on paper.

When I give Poison a proper wearing I'll be sure to report back and update my rating as need be. From what I've smelled, it already seems like it's right up my alley, and just the kind of no-holds-barred fragrance I'm craving lately. The younger crowd really needs to give this a fair try, as well - nothing about it screams "Old Lady Perfume!" unless your mother or grandmother wore it when you were growing up. It's certainly no more intolerable than 99% of the sugary celebrity-endorsed garbage out there, and once the opening settles down it becomes quite lovely - like another reviewer said, a proper perfume, not an insipid "scent". Smell this with an open mind and a fresh nose - you might be surprised.

[Update on 9/29/10: Have tried Poison on my skin, and while the opening and heart are basically the same as on paper, they soften considerably and turn warmer and smoother. The spice is more evident - lots of cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg, to my nose - and as I predicted, it smells less saccharine sweet and much drier and more powdery/musky. (I don't get that syrupy Easter candy feel any more, unless I really look for it.) It's also rather cooler, smokier, and more prickly than I expected; I suppose I had in mind a dense, warming oriental like Opium, but Poison has a slightly sinister edge. I like it more each time I try it. My only complaint is the soft, vanillic drydown, which feels too generic for a scent with such a powerful opening and rich heart. The sillage is spectacular, though - while the the modern Poison may have traded in her patent stilettos for sensible pumps, she's still no wallflower. Good stuff. No change to my original rating.]

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 9:47:00 PM More reviews by aqua76239

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

One thing is certain-you will not find another perfume like it, its incrediably distinctive.
For me the saga started when i was 20. I was already wearing Samsara for couple of years and while it was my HG, i wanted to try something else. i tried Poison and really liked it. It did fit my category of oriental, long lasting fragrances. However, i got bored with it and gave my bottle away.
I revisited it recently, at local Macy's. For old time sake, i sprayed it on and just about gagged. I thought it smelled waay too strong and dated. Fortunately, i sprayed it on the card but none the less, i threw it in my purse and forgot about it. At the end of the day, i opened my purse and was wondering what that warm spicy scent was. Then it hit me-it was Poison i sprayed on the card. Over next 2 days i periodically removed card to sniff it like a junkie in need of a fix. I decided to get a bottle only to realize that online is the only option-noone carries it anymore. I finally found one at Long's, of all places and now a proud owner of this complex fragrance
Notes from Fragrantica: coriander, wildberries, honey, tuberose, oppanax. On first spray, i get coriander which is a bit spicy, i don't really smell berries or honey, but coriander and tuberose. Best way to describe it would be tuberose flower floating in a spiced wine. Lasting power is awesome-small spray lasted nearly 6 hours on me and my clothes smelled of it for several days.I always loved the bottle-its elegant and mysterious. I'm actually surprised that number of young women are able to wear and appreciate this scent but that's great. i wish more companies nowdays made unique fragrances instead of generic clones of each other

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by MAIMAII

When my grandma died we found a box of old stuff - a 3/4 used bottle of this perfume, photos, manky old lipsticks etc etc (she was very glamorous - a dancer, and possibly the root of my interest in such things). It was old, in a glass bottle with a glass stopper. I smelt it on the stopper and it smelt hideous, as is should being 20 years old at least. But the bottle was so pretty and a nice reminder of her, so it has sat on my dressing table for 3 years, untouched. Tonight I missed her and dabbed my wrists with the scent and there the hideous smell was, but it faded fast and then it was just...beautiful. I have no idea if this is what its supposed to smell like or if modern versions of this would age this well, but I want to wear it always. I cant stop smelling my wrists.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2010 2:03:00 PM More reviews by bestjessicaever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this perfume as a gift from a friend who thought because I am a Scorpio, it would be the perfume for me. Although, I like the perfume and appreciate the gesture, the scent is just too tough to wear. It's strong, overbearing, and intense (Scorpio qualities).

It's hard to find the right time to wear it, as even the breeziest night won't sweep this scent around and wearing it on a warm day is a death sentence!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2010 3:33:00 AM More reviews by kathrynb23

This is one of my favourite fragrance ever! The smell is just soo feminine it is a bit hard to describe. I have to admit it is quiet a strong scent and it lasts quiet long. I wore it on and when I entered my car the smell actually stayed in my car, my clothes still smells like it after I wash them. I dont need airfresheners for my car because this does the job, just one spray and your car will smell like that for the rest of the year.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 12:43:00 PM More reviews by jellokatt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i can totally understand why some people hate this. it's very chemical/synthetic smelling. to me, it always smelled a bit like grape and crayons.

for some reason though, i find myself missing it. i'm not sure what it would smell like on me now, but it worked well on me in high school. i was also one of the only people who wore this in my school (this and opium both). i'm going to see if i can find one of those mini-bottles, or better yet, someplace with a tester, to try it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by 1Tanya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Magical fragrance. Just perfect for colder days or nights. It's a fragrance for a strong confident woman. I would say dangerous like poison. It's a really strong scent that stays on for a long time, it might even be overwhelming especially if you put too much on, or this fragrance doesn't match you. It has that rotten smell. One day my friends told me that they smell sour cherries. That's when I finally found out what this fragrance smells like. It's like sour cherries rotting in a deadly potion of power and sex appeal. This fragrance is not for everyone, but if you are lucky and have the right chemistry, this could be the perfume you will fall in love for the rest of your life.