Dior Poison

3.4

on 2/19/2011 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Bold, sexy, and dark. I love this, classic 80's! (not that i was around then anyways but still). I love the fragrances from this time, that my mum used to wear. Pretty pricey, but smells fabulous and lasts long.

on 2/1/2011 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a fragrance for the brave. While I do not like this scent I will give it some stars for lasting power, complexity, and cute packaging. This perfume smells like tuberose on steroids when first sprayed and it eventually calms down to a spicy red wine and lighter tuberose scents. It eventually then dies down to a black licorice sweet smelling scent. I imagine a powerful, bold, flamboyant individual to wear this .

on 12/24/2010 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I received this as a gift from my soon-to-be mother-in-law. She used to work at CVS, and so she has a lot of unused fragrances she likes to gift. I'm not sure if the scent has changed over that period of her not working there, or if it's supposed to smell the way it does, but it is just way to strong and musky. Not at all wearable, especially for someone my age.

on 12/2/2010 2:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The original Poison literally defines perfume in the 80s. I have had mixed feelings about this perfume. It is very strong, even in just EDT form. It smells like wine. coriander, wildberries, orange honey, tuberose are at perfume’s heart, while base note features opopanar. It is very strong but once it settles down it is nice. It is definitely a unique scent that is very reccognizable.

on 11/5/2010 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Ive gotta say this fragrance is still an all time classic. Its old-school-cool & by that I mean, its got something that will just last - forever. Its not a modern money maker scent like we seeing all over the place being endorsed by celebrities etc...this is just classic!. I would say it lends itself more to the late 20's age upwards...I definitely wouldn't give it to a teenage or young 20's woman...no.

To me its quite a sophisticated scent, quite complicated - but in a good way. I think its the type of perfume that you either love or you hate...

This perfume is one of my all time favourites because it reminds me a bit of my childhood - i grew up smelling this on both my grandmother & my mother....there is something about scents that transport us to familiar places.

I would definitely buy this again - not in a terrible hurry but I would nonetheless.

on 10/31/2010 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The most sensual parfum ever. I first tried it in 1985 when it was just born. I walked with my wrist on my nose for ten minutes because I couldn´t stop smelling it over and over, it was kind of adictive. This is the parfum which has made the strongest impact in my entire life. It has defined my youth, my disco parties, my personality, my whole world. Poison is part of me as I´m part of it. If I want to feel fresh and daily I use Chanel 19 but when I want to feel seductive, sexy and sensual I go to Poison, it never fails. Never ever.

on 9/11/2010 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have been wanting to try this for myself for a while now, as the reviews seem to veer between calling it a tuberose godzilla that crushes all in its path, and a sweet and spicy perfume with hints of florals and red wine. I was hoping for the latter. I got the former. I was cautious enough to spray the air and briefly wave my wrist through it. For my troubles, I got the strongest, most nauseating tuberose (with grape juice undertones) I have ever smelled, and it gave me a headache to boot.

on 8/29/2010 1:20:00 PM

One of my favorite fragrances. Notes include sandalwood, cinnamon, musk and vanilla (how can you not love vanilla!). It's not really strong but it's not light either. It doesn't suffocate despite being a strong perfume and I actually like that it's not a light perfume because I love it so damn much!

Don't let the 80s-hate stop you from giving this a try. Nothing crapped out these days (hello celebrity fragrances) rivals Poison.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Perhaps alot might not agree with me with this, but I really do find this scent nice to wear and even my boyfriend finds nothing wrong with the scent(he's a straight to point person that will say whatever on his mind be it good or bad). I bought this during clearance sale 1.5 years ago and it's still a staple product in my wardrobe. i'll definitely repurchase this.

on 8/3/2010 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Apparently I was born in the wrong decade, or my nose is in need of re-calibration, or both: My tastes in fragrance seem rather out of step with those of the rest of my generation, as I simply adore the loud, heady, rich, potent concoctions from the '70s and '80s. Opium, Kouros, Obsession, Azzaro, Fahrenheit, Polo...oh, yes. Bring 'em on. Give me something I can chomp on, something I can smell an hour after I've sprayed it, something distinctive and unique. Give me a signature. Give me my money's worth.

I should point out that I've been cursed with the kind of skin chemistry that swallows fragrances like a black hole, so powerhouses like Poison don't scare me. Quite the opposite: I feel they're a necessity, a tonic for when I'm frustrated with new releases that smell great for the first 10 minutes and then fade away to nothing on my skin within an hour or two. Poison's volume, sillage, and potency are the stuff of legend; it's the quintessential "love it or hate it" perfume. (I suppose its '90s equivalent is Angel, and I don't think it has a 2000s equivalent - we're simply not living in the age of boisterous, polarizing perfumes anymore, and that's not necessarily a good thing.)

I recently tried Poison on a card in a perfume shop, itching to finally see what all the fuss was (and is) about. It was the fifth or sixth fragrance I'd tried that day, so I wasn't expecting it to stand out - my nose usually gets fatigued after a long day of sampling. I was wrong; it practically slapped me in the face with a rich, luscious berry note and a fistful of spices and honey. I almost laughed out loud - wow, they weren't kidding about this stuff! But it wasn't just strong and obnoxious, like the reviews led me to believe: It smelled GREAT, the quality of the ingredients and talent of the perfumer clearly evident. And this is supposedly the tamed, less potent current version! I can't imagine what the vintage '80s juice smelled like - it must have been the perfume equivalent of nerve gas. As it dries on the card, it turns sweeter and much more floral - the jasmine and tuberose notes are rendered in neon, backed by a curtain of incense and sweet woods. It's brutally feminine, in every sense of the phrase; this is no perfume for little girls. The sweetness occasionally strikes me as too much, calling to mind those Easter candies with the finger-staining shells and squishy, pasty white filling that's borderline nauseating, but perhaps that's because I'm smelling it on a card. My skin tends to soften sweet notes and enhance musk and woods, so I'm sure if I tested Poison on my skin it'd be slightly warmer and more sensual than the Death By Syrupy Florals potion it's rendered as on paper.

When I give Poison a proper wearing I'll be sure to report back and update my rating as need be. From what I've smelled, it already seems like it's right up my alley, and just the kind of no-holds-barred fragrance I'm craving lately. The younger crowd really needs to give this a fair try, as well - nothing about it screams "Old Lady Perfume!" unless your mother or grandmother wore it when you were growing up. It's certainly no more intolerable than 99% of the sugary celebrity-endorsed garbage out there, and once the opening settles down it becomes quite lovely - like another reviewer said, a proper perfume, not an insipid "scent". Smell this with an open mind and a fresh nose - you might be surprised.

[Update on 9/29/10: Have tried Poison on my skin, and while the opening and heart are basically the same as on paper, they soften considerably and turn warmer and smoother. The spice is more evident - lots of cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg, to my nose - and as I predicted, it smells less saccharine sweet and much drier and more powdery/musky. (I don't get that syrupy Easter candy feel any more, unless I really look for it.) It's also rather cooler, smokier, and more prickly than I expected; I suppose I had in mind a dense, warming oriental like Opium, but Poison has a slightly sinister edge. I like it more each time I try it. My only complaint is the soft, vanillic drydown, which feels too generic for a scent with such a powerful opening and rich heart. The sillage is spectacular, though - while the the modern Poison may have traded in her patent stilettos for sensible pumps, she's still no wallflower. Good stuff. No change to my original rating.]

Popular Fragrances