April 17, 2014 | 1981 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Root Beer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2009 12:42:00 PM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click 'continued' for photos.
Like most NYX shadows, this is soft, finely-milled texture, applies evenly, so buttery you can beautifully blend it with finger/Q-tip/cheapest brush. Lasts all day with a primer underneath (I recommend Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance), otherwise it can crease on oily lids within several hours.
Color is a deep brown leaning on the cool side due to the hint of grey in it. Very basic, versatile shade to use in the crease, lightly as all-over-wash, or pair with any other shade to create a smokey effect.

continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2009 11:35:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The best contouring/crease neutral shadow I own. This cool-toned, light chocolatey-yet-taupey brown has some satiny shimmer but is not too shimmery and it is not frosty. I do not own MAC Moth Brown, but this has been repeatedly compared to it.

This is THE most crease-proof shadow I have ever owned! I have worn it for over 16 hours, without a base, and it has NOT creased. Fading is minimal, too. Amazing! The blendability is great, but this shadow is a bit soft. No matter, as it is a stellar performer and one of my four most-used and prized shadows. I purchased this at a local beauty supply for $3! What a steal for such a HG product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2009 8:51:00 AM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow I love this. My favourite taupe, and I never would have heard of it if it hadn't been for MUA! Beautiful greyish brown, perfect for day wear or smoked out for evening. I wear it with Smut in the crease and Shroom to highlight. Good lasting power, no creasing over a primer. Works well on my cool pale skin, so many other e/s in this shade range are too warm for me (I'm looking at you Satin Taupe!) but this is great. I've already hit pan on this in the trio it comes in, but bought a back-up single. It's texture is slightly drier and more crumbly than MAC, so it's easily shattered, but this doesn't seem to have an effect on what it looks like on. Like the price too! If you only buy one NYX shadow, buy this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 8:22:00 AM More reviews by xLongLashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product so much that I've got a second one on standby *just in case*
It is a really beautiful mid-deep taupe brown, with grey undertones.
I use almost everyday for a neutral smokey look. Goes on smooth with no fall out that I've noticed. Easily blendable, and buildable. The product is buttery soft so I'm not sure how long it will last in the pan, but I'm loving it for now!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Katie4098

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Root Beer is just a great, basic medium brown shade, with a just a hint of shimmer. I would not describe this as taupe- Dust is a taupe, while Root Beer is, well, reminiscent of the actual color of root beer. I'm wondering if some of the other reviewers were describing the Root Beer in the trio, because the single has no purple tones whatsoever.

I mainly use it in the crease, though it would be perfect for a brown smokey eye. With a light touch it can be sheer, but its easy to build it up. A very versatile basic!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2009 4:37:00 PM More reviews by kimchimochi

I used to use a gunmetal shade of NYX shadow in college all the time, I loved it until it cracked and crumbled from being bounced around in my makeup bag for too long. After that, I pretty much forgot about NYX until seeing the reviews here.

Root Beer is a gorgeous color. I've been wanting Satin Taupe from MAC for a while, but now that I have Root Beer, maybe I don't need Satin Taupe after all. :P Used together with MAC Smut, it makes a great smoky eye.

I bought some more NYX eyeshadows aftter Root Beer, and the consistency is amazing for the price! Super silky, goes on smooth and pigmented. I especially love that they're cruelty-free. (Or so it claims on their products. I wrote the company an email to confirm but didn't get a response.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2009 11:25:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

I'm a fan of NYX shadows, but Root Beer just might be my favorite.
Mauvy deep taupe - gorgeous. I like it even better than my MAC
Satin Taupe, and that's saying something, though they are a bit
different in color so you may need both! NYX rocks!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2009 2:51:00 AM More reviews by Chubz

i love neutral colors and that's why i love this shade. good base color. good pigmentation and is really buildable. i watched xteeener's (huge fan btw) tutorial on youtube and this is one of her favorites. she says it's great to use it to fill in brows but i personally don't like to do that. or maybe i'm just not doing it correctly =P. it was too shimmery for my eyebrows and looked like a shiny plum color in the sunlight. but whatever works for whoever is good. greeeat eyeshadow!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2009 2:26:00 PM More reviews by LHANEMANN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dark taupe. Itīs dark, bot no too much, actually itīs very buildable, you can apply it very sheer if you want.
The more eyeshadow you apply, the more brown (and less grey) it will be.
Itīs very versatile - you can use it as a lid color, as a crease color, or as an eyeliner. When I apply a brown e/s pencil unederneah it looks gorgeous.
It didnīt "whow" me when I first saw it, but I use it a lot.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by dtm428

First of all, I have to say that the color swatches online - really bad. I only got this color because I saw a review of it on YouTube - so I was able to see a better representation of the shade. The color is slightly darker than what you see on the swatch (specifically the Cherry Culture site).

Anyway, Root Beer - great color. The shadow is so buttery smooth. It's amazing. I barely swiped from the pot, but my brush already picked up a lot of color. This is going to last me a long time. The color brushed on very smoothly. I also love that it's not a matte color. There a little shimmer to it - not too much.

I don't have a lot of shadow colors in my make-up kit, but this color is great for a basic everyday look. A definite must for simple daily wear.