The Body Shop Banana Nourishing Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Musa Paradisica (Banana) Fruit (Emollient/Lubricant), Glyceryl Hydroxystearate (Emollient), Lauramide DEA (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Polyquaternium-7 (Hair Conditioner), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Sodium Chloride (Viscosity Modifier), Methylparaben (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Butylparaben (Preservative), Ethylparaben (Preservative), Isobutylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Yellow 5 (Colour), Red 4 (Colour) [January 19, 2010]

on 12/7/2011 10:53:00 PM

I actually don't know if I would buy this again or not. The banana scent is a little overwhelming, but I like bananas, so that isn't so awful. However, after a few days I feel like using something else. I guess you could call it a nice "weekend shampoo" that is light but effective.

on 11/24/2011 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I share a hate-love relationship with this product. Firstly the smell, it has a very thick smell which will take some time to sink in and get used to. Not light and refreshing but thick and nice. The good thing is that it does not last so long, as in the smell is not overpowering after some time which is perfect because I definitely do not want to be smelling it the whole day.

Pros:
1) The packaging, there is something about the packaging that I like a lot. It is transparent thus, I am able to view how much product is left and when I am going to run out. Other than that, it's a bias rating which I cannot explain.

2) It cleans really well. They weren't kidding when they said it cleans well. Every time I use this shampoo, I feel squeaky clean.

3) It is very moisturizing for your scalp. I have itchy scalp and even though it does not address that issue, it helps soothe a little.

Cons:
1) It is not cheap compared to drugstore shampoos which is not an attractive. A drugstore shampoo can provide the exact same results for much lesser money and more product.

2) It is very drying. Do take note that I am reviewing on the shampoo itself not the conditioner. The shampoo alone is very drying and my boyfriend who used it felt the same way too. Once I wash off the shampoo to put conditioner my hair feels like straw, it is a awful feeling. It is not ideal to use this on a everyday basis. For me, I think of it is a one a week hair treatment.

3) It does not give that shine many reviewers claim it gave.

I will not buy this shampoo again because I can guarantee any drugstore shampoo can provide the same moisturizing effect this shampoo can give for a cheaper price. It's nothing fabulous.

on 9/3/2011 11:32:00 AM

I absolutely adore this shampoo! I've gone through 2 bottles of it already and will be going back very soon to pick some more up. This shampoo cleans my hair like no other and gives it such a nice sheen! I think this shampoo is actually best paired with the Banana conditioner. I find that they compliment each other so well, almost like if I use and not the other... my hair is missing something=P The main thing I love about this shampoo is the amount of shine it gives to my hair without weighing it down. My new HG shampoo=D!

on 8/6/2011 7:16:00 PM

I really like this shampoo. My hair was noticibly shinier after using, which is what it claims it will do. Didn't dry my hair out at all. Lathers well and smells delicious, a nice pick-me-up in the shower.

on 7/28/2011 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is the best shampoo ever !! Its smells so good and leaves my hair super soft and shiny. It should be used in conjunction with the conditioner for the best result. I have been using this shampoo for more than 2 yrs. I have recommended this to so many of my friends and they love it too !! Wonderful product !!

on 6/26/2011 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I tried this shampoo on The body shop semi annual sale is a
very AVERAGE shampoo kind expensive for small bottle I finished all the BOTTLE is alright but Not going repurchasing again is smell like bananas But other than that is pretty average I think you can find better shampoo for same price and Bigger bottle.

on 5/31/2011 10:20:00 PM

Possibly the worst shampoo I've ever tried. One wash and my color was stripped and my fine, wavy hair was like straw. Returned with a promise to myself to stay away from the Body Shop products. They really are terrible now.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I think the crux of this shampoo is that the 'nourishing' in its name (of which I was admittedly unaware until finding the product on the database to review) is a serious stretch. Almost an economy of truth, in fact. One of the first ingredients on the list is sodium laureth sulfate, which is certainly less widely irritating than its harsher (but considerably less toxic) cousin sodium lauryl sulfate... but it's still irritating. It's a detergent, after all. And for those of us with parched, dermatitis-prone, uber-sensitive scalps, that really isn't something you want in your shampoo.

Pros are that the smell is pleasant, the price is low, availability is good, and the matching silicone-free conditioner is nice (is that last one really a pro if it relates to a different item? I'm being very generous here!). Cons are that, far from being nourishing (nourishing my Aunt Fanny) it's drying as hell, hugely exacerbates itchiness and flaking of the scalp, and fades hair tint. If your shampoo fades your dye, you know it's too vigorous to maintain a healthy scalp.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is liveable-with. If I found myself - as I so frequently do - in the bathroom, with every bottle of superior shampoo empty and only this one with a usable amount left, I would use it without shedding a tear. It doesn't leave me with raging, weeping sores, it just makes my scalp drier than the Atacama desert... so, of course, my hair follows suit. I have curly hair, but when I fry my hair and scalp with SLS washes, the curls tend to flatten out into a strange, dry, puffy/formless wave. It's why I lean towards conditioner only washing, but realistically this always results in build-up, and a wash with a gentle but effective SLS-free shampoo every 2 or 3 washes is sensible. By definition, The Body Shop's Banana Shampoo is not a good candidate. It's just your average hair detergent, superior to the likes of Pantene only in its lack of gross chemical pong and the appealing-but-probably-fundamentally-pointless inclusion of mashed up banana.

on 5/11/2011 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm on the fence about this shampoo.
-----
PROS:
- The smell; it's amazing! Also, because I used it on my summer holiday last year, I get all happy when I smell this - reminds me of good weather and no paper deadlines. It smells like a banana drink - with some sort of alcohol in it. Rum perhaps? (Not that there's actually any alcohol in the shampoo).
- This shampoo is silicone-free, which is an absolute must for me.
-----
CONS:
- The smell; although it's amazing, it only works when you're using it together with the conditioner. I love using my Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner (fantastic & silicone-free as well!), and this conditioner has a strong smell as well. When I combine the two smells it's just too much of a good thing. In general, I like my shampoos to smell a little more neutral, so that my Fructis conditioner goes with it better. But when combined with the Banana conditioner, the smell is fantastic!
- This shampoo & conditioner don't moisturize my hair enough in the winter time. It's ok in the summer, when my hair gets less dry. The set is definitely less moisturizing than I expected.
-----
My advise: buy this shampoo & conditioner as a set, because of the smell. And stay away if your hair is very coarse/thick/dry. It's better suited for normal to slightly dry hair.
I'm going to try this shampoo out again this summer. I think it makes a lovely summer shampoo, because my hair gets noticeably less dry (as long as I don't let my hair get wet in the pool, at least). That way I can keep associating the smell with lovely weather and relaxing holidays.

on 5/8/2011 12:00:00 PM

I was initially attracted to this shampoo solely because of the smell - I love banana fragrances, and this is an authentic, ripe banana scent. Besides the gorgeous smell, other pluses include that it lathers well, it rinses out easily, and it does leave hair feeling clean. However, I found that it dries my hair out and doesn't create any body. I used the full bottle anyway (I hate being wasteful!) and my opinion remains the same...it's ok, but not great. I definitely didn't get the soft or silky sensation, as promised by the product, but my hair did feel and appear clean. I'm not likely to repurchase.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products