February 1, 2015 | 1799 users online

Shampoo - The Body Shop - Banana Nourishing Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by iuhooch625

I really like this shampoo. My hair was noticibly shinier after using, which is what it claims it will do. Didn't dry my hair out at all. Lathers well and smells delicious, a nice pick-me-up in the shower.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 4:28:00 AM More reviews by swethatelkar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the best shampoo ever !! Its smells so good and leaves my hair super soft and shiny. It should be used in conjunction with the conditioner for the best result. I have been using this shampoo for more than 2 yrs. I have recommended this to so many of my friends and they love it too !! Wonderful product !!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by magica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this shampoo on The body shop semi annual sale is a
very AVERAGE shampoo kind expensive for small bottle I finished all the BOTTLE is alright but Not going repurchasing again is smell like bananas But other than that is pretty average I think you can find better shampoo for same price and Bigger bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by leeleeisfine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Possibly the worst shampoo I've ever tried. One wash and my color was stripped and my fine, wavy hair was like straw. Returned with a promise to myself to stay away from the Body Shop products. They really are terrible now.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by ArretezCharlotte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think the crux of this shampoo is that the 'nourishing' in its name (of which I was admittedly unaware until finding the product on the database to review) is a serious stretch. Almost an economy of truth, in fact. One of the first ingredients on the list is sodium laureth sulfate, which is certainly less widely irritating than its harsher (but considerably less toxic) cousin sodium lauryl sulfate... but it's still irritating. It's a detergent, after all. And for those of us with parched, dermatitis-prone, uber-sensitive scalps, that really isn't something you want in your shampoo.

Pros are that the smell is pleasant, the price is low, availability is good, and the matching silicone-free conditioner is nice (is that last one really a pro if it relates to a different item? I'm being very generous here!). Cons are that, far from being nourishing (nourishing my Aunt Fanny) it's drying as hell, hugely exacerbates itchiness and flaking of the scalp, and fades hair tint. If your shampoo fades your dye, you know it's too vigorous to maintain a healthy scalp.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is liveable-with. If I found myself - as I so frequently do - in the bathroom, with every bottle of superior shampoo empty and only this one with a usable amount left, I would use it without shedding a tear. It doesn't leave me with raging, weeping sores, it just makes my scalp drier than the Atacama desert... so, of course, my hair follows suit. I have curly hair, but when I fry my hair and scalp with SLS washes, the curls tend to flatten out into a strange, dry, puffy/formless wave. It's why I lean towards conditioner only washing, but realistically this always results in build-up, and a wash with a gentle but effective SLS-free shampoo every 2 or 3 washes is sensible. By definition, The Body Shop's Banana Shampoo is not a good candidate. It's just your average hair detergent, superior to the likes of Pantene only in its lack of gross chemical pong and the appealing-but-probably-fundamentally-pointless inclusion of mashed up banana.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 1:35:00 PM More reviews by SChiara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on the fence about this shampoo.
-----
PROS:
- The smell; it's amazing! Also, because I used it on my summer holiday last year, I get all happy when I smell this - reminds me of good weather and no paper deadlines. It smells like a banana drink - with some sort of alcohol in it. Rum perhaps? (Not that there's actually any alcohol in the shampoo).
- This shampoo is silicone-free, which is an absolute must for me.
-----
CONS:
- The smell; although it's amazing, it only works when you're using it together with the conditioner. I love using my Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner (fantastic & silicone-free as well!), and this conditioner has a strong smell as well. When I combine the two smells it's just too much of a good thing. In general, I like my shampoos to smell a little more neutral, so that my Fructis conditioner goes with it better. But when combined with the Banana conditioner, the smell is fantastic!
- This shampoo & conditioner don't moisturize my hair enough in the winter time. It's ok in the summer, when my hair gets less dry. The set is definitely less moisturizing than I expected.
-----
My advise: buy this shampoo & conditioner as a set, because of the smell. And stay away if your hair is very coarse/thick/dry. It's better suited for normal to slightly dry hair.
I'm going to try this shampoo out again this summer. I think it makes a lovely summer shampoo, because my hair gets noticeably less dry (as long as I don't let my hair get wet in the pool, at least). That way I can keep associating the smell with lovely weather and relaxing holidays.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 12:00:00 PM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was initially attracted to this shampoo solely because of the smell - I love banana fragrances, and this is an authentic, ripe banana scent. Besides the gorgeous smell, other pluses include that it lathers well, it rinses out easily, and it does leave hair feeling clean. However, I found that it dries my hair out and doesn't create any body. I used the full bottle anyway (I hate being wasteful!) and my opinion remains the same...it's ok, but not great. I definitely didn't get the soft or silky sensation, as promised by the product, but my hair did feel and appear clean. I'm not likely to repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by sheenab

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm going to have to review the shampoo & conditioner as a pair, because I always used it in conjunction. My hair is long, normal-dry with a flyaway/frizz issue that can be tamed w/ a good shampoo/conditioner. I'm on my quest to find a new combo that works for me. I used to use Lush Daddy O shampoo w/ Coolaulin conditioner, but they've discontinued the Coolaulin & my hair is really suffering now.

I was lured in by the banana scent & the price was a steal. My hair was left a dry & frizzy mess after using this. My s.o. (who has short hair) complained that it left his hair dry, so that's a testimonial! I will use the shampoo as a body wash & the conditioner for shaving my legs, i guess, but I won't let it touch my hair ever again. I'm going to start using Biolage Smooth Therapie later today & will review.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2011 8:56:00 PM More reviews by pangstr

pros:
love the smell
lathers well
makes hair feel VERY clean
leaves hair very shiny/sheeny

cons:
maybe a little over-stripping/drying? (does not make hair soft)
bottle cap a little flimsy

overall i really like this shampoo though. it makes my hair look very healthy

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by sailette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I adore this product! It smells amazing and makes my hair shiny without the oily sheen that other nourishing products sometime decide to gift you.
It lathers up well and washes your hair with a squeaky clean feel to it. When I use this product, I don't have to wash my hair the next day which is often not the case!
It works fine without conditioner too.