November 1, 2014 | 1379 users online

Fragrances - Donna Karan - Cashmere Mist

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 3:22:00 AM More reviews by ellizam

Cashmere Mist is beautiful, baby powder for grownups. I think the most ravishing thing about it is the salty note in the base.

CM manages to combine a salty sandalwood, a very delicate musk, a feathery spine of jasmine and vetiver, a brushing of suede, and a beautiful coat of powder (probably the orris). It's subtle, natural smelling, and yet there's something inherently sexy in there.

Bill Blass Nude is a smellalike, but has a somewhat bitter note my nose picks up as tuberose. Crown Tanglewood Bouquet is BB Nude taken to an extreme, but also has that powdery/creamy quality CM has.

I've tried a few formulations of CM. The worst thing I could say about it is that it has intimate sillage and doesn't have the most amazing lasting power. On the other hand, CM has hit the frag oil duplicators. The dupe out (and everyone has the same one, even if they're claiming theirs is unique) is not the closest in the dupe genre, but it is close enough that you could use it to scent a bath, or lotion, and it will extend/amplify the real thing a bit. But basically, CM will never hit the discounters at a significant markdown, and will never go on sale - it has a largish and devoted following. The extendor products are amazing, especially the deodorant.

Cashmere Mist is one of the few fragrances I'd pay full price for, and I wouldn't let the fact that lots of women buy it bother me. It's subtle enough to smell just a little different on everybody and it's a perfect fragrance for the office, for when you don't want to smell like you're Wearing Perfume, but do want to smell "nice," and for intimate situations where noticeable scent is too much. It's totally a Your-Skin-But-Better frag. The packaging is gorgeous, and it layers beautifully. Draped over a leather, or dusted with vanilla, or Egyptian musk, it moves in beautiful directions.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 5:54:00 AM More reviews by UnBelleParfum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Donna Karan Cashmere Mist EDT is my go-to for these moments, itís the perfume equivalent of a fluffy white robe straight from the tumble dryer. There is little more than a super soft vanilla and musk combination layered over a base of pale woods with just the barest hint of white flowers (lily of the valley and jasmine.)

Simplicity is the key to this scent and the combination of these notes gives the illusion of lightly powdered skin, freshly washed and dried, ready to be touched. Itís sensual without being overtly sexy and yet simple without being boring.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I know many love this fragrance, but boy...it reeks, imo. I have tried this on more than one occasion, but it just doesn't work. I don't have the chemistry for it nor do I find it pleasant on others. Nothing cozy about it. Very much an old lady scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2011 2:41:00 AM More reviews by depczydo

My older sister used to wear this fragrance all the time when I was younger and I LOVED smelling it on her. It smells very classy. When I got older I decided to pick up a bottle for myself. I really enjoy the scent, BUT actually wearing the fragrance feels like a chore. I'll usually regret spraying it because when I get a whiff of it, it just smells thick/overpowering and I look forward to showering and getting rid of the scent. I just feel uncomfortable wearing it...if that makes any sense. So bottom line for me is that I love the scent in moderation, but I don't think it works well on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by lilktmus

This perfume is probably my favorite. It's more of a winter perfume smell to me but it works in every season. Unlike other perfume which are either too flowery, too musky, this one has a light scent that is pleasing to the nose and very elegant. I prefer this over Clean's perfumes.

When you first spray it, it might be too strong but let it settle in and you'll Know why this is my favorite.

I would definitely recommend this. The reason I gave it 4 stars is because the smell does kind of faints a bit after a couple of hours.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2011 3:21:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

When I first tried this on I thought omg I am in heaven I want more ...more..more I loved the fresh powdery scent but then the dry down came and ewwwwwwwww yuck like an overpowering powder weird smell The dry down was horrible on me

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

Cashmere Mist is so perfectly named. I really do think of cozy sweaters, fireplaces and snuggles. I have tried both the Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum- and to tell you the truth I am surprised they are not reviewed separately since they seem so different on the skin. So I will review the fragrance in two parts. However, first you should know the fragrance notes. Cashmere Mist has a fresh top note of Apple, floral middle notes of Jasmine, Lilly of the Valley, and Suede, than a warm base note of Musk, Sandalwood, Amber, Cashmere wood and Vanilla.

---Cashmere Mist EDT---
The EDT version comes in a misted glass flacon that looks like a cut of ice. When spritzed on, I certainly pick up on the apple, cashmere, amber, and vanilla with a powdery over tone. The powdery effect of the fragrance gives it a mature quality, that is also cozy as well as capable of subduing the strong notes present. The dry down is less powdery and more amber and vanilla. I also detected licorice. Even though it was not listed it smelled so similar. The EDT definitely lasts much longer than the EDP. The EDT lasted for a good 8 hours on me before fading to a gentle tone of vanilla with that licorice note I detected. Overall it was a very lovely fragrance that seems to transcend age and season. As I mentioned, the powdery quality of the perfume matures it.

---Cashmere Mist EDP---
Comes in an ice cut flacon that is clear glass, unlike the EDT. The EDP is not as complex as the EDT, instead of opening up and changing, it seems to smell the exact same from start to finish. Itís hard to describe the scent because it was so different from the EDT. I didnít notice any powdery overtone, it was very creamy and warm- but almost gourmand. I also noticed the licorice tone here, especially the vanilla, suede, and cashmere. The rest of the notes melded together to create something unique and distinct. This fragrance is more like a sister- similar but not identical. If you have ever smelt American Cream solid perfume (or conditioner) from Lush- it is almost identical to the EDP fragrance. Which is strange since the notes are different. Additionally, the lasting power of the EDP is half that of the EDT. I got 4 hours of continuous wear before it faded to gentle creamy floral vanilla that faded a few hours later. The EDP seems more youthful, but can also transcend age and season.

Overall, I enjoyed both the EDT and the EDP (favoring the EDP a little more) however; I donít plan to purchase a full bottle. I donít feel that I currently identify with the EDT on a personal level. As for the EDP- there would be no point in spending money on $90 bottle, when I can get the American Cream Solid perfume for $9 and still enjoy an identical fragrance for less.
Happy Shopping!

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by dawnhroberts

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Cashmere Mist. I also used to wear the Donna Karan self named fragrance and loved it too. It's stayed a go-to scent for me for over 10 years. I wear this in the winter or on a night when I want to feel super sexy.

Summertime is another story. I like very fresh, clean, green fragrances when the temperature goes above 70. Bulgari Green Tea, Antonia's Flowers, CREED Spring Flowers and Bond No. 9 Eau de New York are my classic summer picks.

Fragrance is all about chemistry, how it melds with your personal scent. That's the reason that certain fragrances smell fabulous in the bottle or on a friend and just don't work for you personally.

I'm always on the look out for a new favorite, that's why I enjoy blogs like this!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can appreciate the powdery elegance of this fragrance, as well as its proud refusal to succumb to categorization. I always have to give truly distinctive fragrances at least two lippies.

However, there is something about it that makes me feel really queasy-- even smelling it on other people. It reminds me of Samsara by Guerlain in many ways, the sandalwood and the slightly indolic jasmine. And Samsara is a real scrubber for me. Unfortunately, so is this. Again-- it's a lovely scent in and of itself, I just can't tolerate it personally.

If you enjoy Samsara, Oscar, Vanderbilt, or sandalwood essential oil, give Cashmere Mist a try. Just not near me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Apizzle

Love this scent! I use this scent at meetings and if I'm going to be outside a lot. It has a nice light scent. Adore!