NARS Jungle Red

4.6

on 10/29/2010 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Like other reviewers, I concur this is a *perfect* red. I am *extremely* happy with the balance of 'orange' and 'blue' undertones.

This is the longest lasting lipstick I own - this includes cups of coffee, a meal and several hours at work. I do not find it drying, but then again I do not have dry lips (and do not need to use lip balm etc.) I also do not find it feathers, what a pleasant surprise. I love the rich, soft, velvety look this lipstick gives me, like something off a movie poster.

I am taking off one lippie because I feel the cost of $30CAD to be ridiculous. Given how I feel about the shade and its staying power I am willing to deal with it ... for now.

*Update: This lipstick is just so great I wanted to update my review with a note saying 'Omg, I really love it!'. I typically need to use lip liners to prevent feathering and especially with darker shades. But I do not need to use a lip liner with this and I am really just amazed. There is not an evening, when I wear it, that someone doesn't stop me and tell me they love this lipstick on me. If you are considering a red then consider coughing up the $30 and trying this. At least try it on at a Sephora and walk around for a few hours and admire the staying power and the compliments you get ;) (Still 4 lippies because I think the price is ridiculous but its NARS and this price range is sorta standard for them.)

on 9/12/2010 11:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've finally found the perfect red lipstick! I've gone through so many reds but something was always wrong - too dark (NARS Shanghai Express), too brick (MAC Dubonnet), too cool (NARS Cruella and Red Lizard), etc. Jungle Red is the perfect bright red on me. I consider it to be a neutral red with just enough pop but isn't too garish like Red Square was on me. It's a bit drying but not too bad. Nothing a little lip balm can't fix!

For reference my foundation colors are: MAC NC30, BE 1.2/2.0 light, Nars Budapest/Ceylan/Fiji.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I love this red! One of my 2 favorite shades of red lipstick. I love how matte this looks when applied, however its a little drying.

on 6/1/2010 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

LOVE this red. So red. On the warm red side, but really mostly a true true red.
It doesn't smell good, and shows every imperfection. I apply lipliner first over my entire lips, then slide it on. Stays forever and totally worth the price.

on 6/1/2010 12:39:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Love this red!! This is a little tiny bit on the brick side. A little darker and not as bright as I'm normally used to. The formula is semi-matte. Just a hint of a sheen. I love it. I'm wearing it atm and it still looks as good as when I first applied it many hours ago. The sheen is gone but the color is still true. I love the formula, It glides on easily and is pigmented. I apply a lot since I love the way it glides so I just apply and apply, lol. Smells nice, a light vanilla scent. Doesn't come with as much product as It should for the price, though.

on 5/2/2010 7:19:00 PM

junge red is a very bright orangey red matte. while i love the colour, i don't often find myself reaching for it because i find it far too drying. this is another of those lipsticks that requires alot of prep work before application.

on 4/4/2010 5:48:00 AM

This is, as with all Nars lipsticks, a good product, but not quite the shade I would have wished for. My all time favourite red is Mac's Lady Danger - ideally I would have that shade with the quality of a Nars lipstick.

Jungle Red is a little less of an orange-yellow and has a shade more blue in it than Lady Danger and so doesn't quite suit my colouring as well. But all is not lost as I wear it under a golden shade that looks naff on its own and the combination looks strangely fetching!

on 4/1/2010 10:22:00 PM

This is -not- a blue-based red. A swatch comparing it with MAC's Russian Red will clearly show that it is orange-based. However, it is one of the lipsticks that is closest to true red out there. Regardless, it is gorgeous and possibly one of my favourite reds ever. It has great texture, isn't drying at all, and lasts forever on your lips, even after eating - too bad it's so pricey, because otherwise I would rate it 5 stars!

on 3/23/2010 6:25:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

i'm normally a mac lipstick fan, but sometimes, NARS get the colours JUST RIGHT, and there is no substitution. Jungle red is one of them. it's the perfect red that doesn't make your teeth look yellow, it's bold but not tacky, and it's RED, not orange, not pink, it's a proper red, which is surprisingly hard to find. Admittedly it's not an everyday colour, but every girl needs a good red lipstick to make her feel sexy right? XD
the texture is a bit drying, as it's a matt colour. so pile on the lip balm beforehand ladies.

on 2/25/2010 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is NOT a orange-red. It is a bright blue based red. I have golden olive undertones and this doesnt quite work with me. It looks bad actually. For a real orange-red go for heatwave. That color is phenomonal. Jungle red is great for blue cool toned gals.

Recommended for Medium Skin