July 26, 2014 | 1524 users online

Cleansers - Jergens - All-Purpose Face Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for a week now and couldn't wait to write a review on it! I have been looking for a cold cream for a while now on etsy and almost bought some ponds but I'm glad I didn't. I almost deleted this review and story because it may seem a little "out there" to some people but then I realized that sharing the info I have on what helped get rid of my acne might help someone else and that's totally worth being "out there." lol. So here goes:

I actually came across a recommendation for this cream while searching for something completely different called zz cream or zhongzhou cream. I suffer from acne and recently my skin has been amazingly clear due to doing a parasite cleanse I bought at the health food store. Like freakishly clear. For me. No monthly hormonal breakouts or blackheads or anything. I didn't realize at first that's what was making me so effortlessly clear but after reading a forum post about zz cream I understood that skin mites called demodex were causing MY acne. If you have acne I suggest you read about it as well!! They are extremely common and almost completely overlooked by doctors and estheticians. The reason I bought this cold cream is because one of the ingredients in it is sodium borate also known as "borax". Not to be confused with boric acid! Borax is most commonly used to make home made washing powder and I guess some people ingest it to do parasite cleanses. I don't know about all that but I do know that if its applied topically it will keep skin mites at bay & therefore will also keep skin clear. So I bought it for that reason initially. But after seeing what its done to my skin after just a week I will be a customer for life. The tone of my skin looks better and my makeup applies beautifully. I use it as a traditional cold cream to remove my makeup. I apply it all over then wipe it off with a tissue. I don't rinse or wash I just go straight to bed. I wake up to really really soft skin! In the morning I will normally wash my skin then apply makeup. Well yesterday I was in a rush and just slapped some foundation and powder on without washing my face first and ran out the door. When I checked my self in the mirror later I was shocked. My skin looked so good! Glowing and pretty and lit from within. Not oily or shiny but dewy and pretty. I believe this cream is the reason. So I actually applied a small amount today like a moisturizer before I applied my makeup today, left it alone for a while then wiped my face with a tissue to absorb any excess oil. Looking at my skin right now, It just looks so pretty! I'm very happy with this stuff and I hope they never change it! I also hope my story will help someone out there who's dealing with acne like I was. Even if you don't have acne I think most anyone can benefit from using this cream if only as a makeup remover. It works excellent for that as well!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 11:14:00 AM More reviews by frankenstain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use this everyday to take off all my makeup. I smooth it on and wipe it off with tissue and then wash my face with something like Olay Nourishing Cream cleanser. It's great as a cold cream. I never used it as a moisturizer, I just use it as a makeup remover. I have gone through several jars. Its cheap and works fine!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 10:46:00 AM More reviews by angelaangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really enjoy using this product. I use it mostly at the end of the day to remove sunscreen and make up - slather a bit on, and tissue off. I have slightly sensitive skin, and have had no problem with it. It cleans effectively and gently.
The price is unbeatable. I had been using Ponds but their price went up. Now I slightly favor the Jergens any way - not just cost.
A terrific bargain find that delivers!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by amazin90

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my Holy Grail winter skin savior. It has become cold in the Mid-West and my skin is increasingly drier. I actually got this on a whim because Wal-Mart was out of Ponds Dry Skin Cream. I'm glad because this works so much better for me. I put this on my cleaned and toned skin as an overnight moisturizer and I wake up with baby soft skin!!! No night moisturizer has been able to accomplish this for me and this costs less than $4.00......win for me!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Seadoo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

This is the time of year to take out your Jergens All-purpose Face Cream. I just purchased a new tub, I couldn't find it for a while, but Walmart has it again. Yes, this is called face cream, but it is absolutely the best skin moisturizer for your dry legs and arms in the winter! Give it a try after a shower, your legs and arms will be smooth and soft.

Do use it on your face too, it's great for removing mascara and stubborn makeup.

The first 3 ingredients are the same as cold cream: mineral oil, water, wax. It's less than $4 for 15 oz. It's made in the USA.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Completely forgot about this product until I saw a recent review! I alternate between this and Pond's for cold cream - oil cleansing sometimes dries me out in the winter, so I switch to cold cream for my makeup removal needs. This one is getting harder to find but I do love how it smells and how pink it is. :) No breakouts and very moisturizing, and I love the retro tub! Cute, cheap, and keeps my skin moist and clog-free in winter.

Update: Yep, still loving it. It's the only thing that will remove my DiorShow Iconic WP mascara and makes more of a dent in my Jordana Extreme Volume mascara than anything else. I also think it removes my physical sunscreens a lot more thoroughly than straight oil cleansing or the Eve Lom balm I've been using lately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

First of all, I can't believe how much product you get for such a low price. I got this at drugstore.com for $4. Moving on... I use this in a similar fashion to cold cream. I slather it on and let it sit for a minute. Then, I wipe it off with a washcloth. I use this as a makeup remover. I then wash my face with my HG cleanser (Purity). This works well. I quite enjoy the scent. It doesn't linger after you finish washing your face. What I like about this is that it feels lighter in texture than cold cream.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Phynesse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The ingredient list for this product reads as follows:
Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) , Water , Beeswax (Apis Mellifera) , Magnesium Aluminium Silicate , Sodium Borate , Fragrance , Isopropyl Myristate , DMDM Hydantoin , Red 4
you would be better off just using vaseline which is basically what this product is.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by IrisMartin

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I respect my fellow reviewers on this site immensely, so I mean no offense when I say that I'm not sure why some ladies are hung up on a packaging's looks. Now function of the packaging, another matter entirely. It has to be practical, fairly easy to use and functional. As far as this product is concerned, I think the "retro packaging" is endearing and has no bearing whatsoever on this product's effectiveness, which is awesome.

I am a dedicated cold cream user. I love the ads from the 1920's through the 60's for cold cream. But besides nostaglia, and an attachment to my mom and deceased sister who used to use cold cream and Jergens All Purpose Face Cream, this stuff really works.

Us gals now need to give a respectable "nod" to the ladies that went before us. We must not discount them as "old fashioned" and "out of touch" with today's skin care products and techniques. Sure, there are fabulous products today, but many of those products are really ineffective and very, very, overpriced. That is why I continually search for "wisdom from the past" and I am rarely disappointed.

I just switched from Pond's Cold Cream (because they changed their timeless, classic formulation in favor of....I still don't know what other than it irritates my skin to no end) to Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream and I am not sorry I did at all.

I use this as my cold cream and it works so wonderfully. Actually, I like it a tad better because it goes on very creamy. The smell, thankfully, does not bother me and seems to gets much less as I cream it into my face. I leave it on 10-15 minutes after I cream it in and then tissue off. I follow with my awesome Thayer's Rose Water Toner, then the awesome Cerave Moisturing Cream and I am cleansed and moisturized. Make-up is next....or not, depending on the day.

So again, no offense to my fellow reviewers. I respect your opinion, humor and insight immensely. It's just that I hope we all look at what's inside and the job it does more than "the pretty". Besides, look at it this way, we PAY MONEY for "pretty". JAPFC is very inexpensive because it's container is not as fancy-shmancy as some other products but that is super-okay with me. I just need it to work like it has for countless women before me, my mom and sis included and keep my face hydrated, moist, dewy and cleansed gently.

Love this product. I hope it stays exactly the same in packaging and for the product inside (unlike Pond's!).

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cream is very oily, even if it is used as a cold cream (wiped off). Yes, it does leave the skin soft and smooth but I prefer the Walgreens brand of cold cream as the latter brand seems hypoallergenic and not pore-clogging.
The original formula has changed and it now has DMDM Hydantoin and aluminum!
The packaging is okay, the large tub seems unhygienic.
Another issue is the artificial pink colour and the fragrance, which is very strong. I think it was the fragrance of this cream that may have resulted in white-heads on my cheeks and blackheads on the t-zone.
For me, blackheads occur due to clogged pores and whiteheads due to a possible allergic reaction.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No