August 27, 2014 | 1749 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by NatalieMae89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my all time favorite makeup products. If you love under eye brightening then you will die over this.

Laura Mercier makes a partner product with this which is the secret under eye brightening pen.

The idea is that you use the pen first, which is clickable - which then disperses product onto a brush applicator. I will do a separate review on this, but basically I'm not the hugest fan. I hate those applicators, I think they eat product - but you can read my full review on that product elsewhere.

The brightening powder is unlike any other. If you LOVE the under eye brightening you see on the red carpet and in photo shoots, I gauruntee this is the product the MUA is using. It photographs beautifully and just looks amazing.

It's a loose powder, so tricky packaging. I'm not sure what it is about the packaging, but my lid never sits tight enough so I know I've lost product from that - also be careful about laying it on it's side, I definitely get fallout on the rest of my product. Saying this, the longevity of this product is AMAZING! I've easily had mine for a year and a half, use it about 2-3 times a week, and I still have so much left over. I predict I'll need to purchase a new one in maybe 6 more months. So 2 years lifespan on a product is amazing!! The price - whatever it is, I don't remember is totally worth it.

I recommend this product to all my friends and family - it's my secret weapon!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by lauralei

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I can see how this might be an awesome product if you don't have super fair skin. But, I do.
I've been using it after I'm done with my foundation and concealer, to set my under eye concealer and brighten that area. It works great for setting, but doesn't brighten at all, which I guess is because my skin is already so white.
SO, if you're pale I wouldn't recommend it...you can use a regular, less expensive powder to set your concealer. If you have olive or darker skin, this might be great for you.
If you're pale and you just love playing around with a million products, have at it. It works very well as an under eye powder. My concealer lasts longer than without it, and my mascara doesn't migrate to below my eye.However, I won't be repurchasing since I'm pretty sure I can get the same results with the MAC powder I use on the rest of my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 1:00:00 AM More reviews by artemistzitzikilakis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Airam07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a under-eye setting powder for a while. I was using plain MAC MSFN dusted on with a fluffy brush prior to finding this and always wondered why my under-eye would always crease or why my liner from the waterline migrated nearly on my cheeks. And when I discovered the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, I knew it was going to be a staple.

The powder comes in a regular jar like most Laura Merceir products do, but smaller. It has a sifter so it can get messy. The powder itself is very finely milled, very similar to HD powders which makes it perfect for dusting on top of concealer without it settling into lines. The powder contains very fine shimmer but this doesn't translate onto the skin at all. The way I apply it is this: shake the jar so some powder gets on the cap. My favorite brush to use for setting under eye concealer is the Real Techniques Setting Brush. I take the brush and swirl it into the cap and work it into the brush before gliding it under the eyes. It makes my concealer last all day, prevents migrating of makeup and eye liner and best of all it stays matte so any hollows/puffiness doesn't become more prominent. And it photographs wonderfully, too. This is a must and I keep this on my vanity tray because I want it accessible at all times. Truly a HG and one jar will last you a lifetime. You need such a tiny amount and a little goes a LONG way.

A little tip: DONT PEEL OFF THE STICKER! Just peel off enough for 3-4 holes and give it a shake. The powder will coat the sticker and it'll become a flap. So all you have to do is give the jar a shake and the powder gets spread thinly on the cap. That is all you need! And the flap prevents too much powder from coming out as well as not getting messy.

Another tip: get the Real Techniques Setting Brush to use with this.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by iulichik

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I really don't understand all this hype for Laura Mercier Powder.... I bought it because of the great reviews, and since I have very dry eye area, with blue-greenish dark circles - it just emphasizes all mentioned above!!! not happy at all! I will stick to my super cheap e.l.f. under-eye setting powder :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 7:48:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a brightening powder made to set your under eye concealer.
****PROS****
1. This powder sets your under eye concealer and keeps it on all day
2. A little of this powder goes a VERY long way. Just get a tiny bit on your brush, tap off any access and then apply. Use less than you think you'll need.
3. It does brighten your under eye area. If your concealer is a little too dark, this will lighten it a little and make it brighter
4. This powder doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other (refer to cons below)
5. Is pretty reasonably priced considering it will lst you a long time!
6. The little jar is handy for traveling and storing
7. Comes in 2 shades; 1 and 2. I have #1 (I am NC15)
8. One reason I like to use this powder, is to stop my mascara from transfering on to my under eye area. Whenever I put concealer on under my eyes, and then put mascara on, the mascara always leaves black smudges under my eyes (because the oils and moisture in my concealer causes the mascara to smudge). This Laura Mercier Powder stops my mascara from transferring on to my under eye are (not just this powder, any powder will do the trick).
****CONS****
1. Now, this is still a powder. Even though I said that this 'doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other powder does', it still does do those things! It's a powder! What is a powder supposed to do, if you think about it? Absorb access oils and moisture, etc. This is still a powder. So it will absorb access moisture under your eye, causing it to dry and crease. Less than other powders, but still. If you think about it, all anti-aging foundations or foundations for mature skin are moisturizing and dewy instead of being drying and oil absorbing, because wrinkles and fine lines are less visible when the skin is moisturized and hydrated rather than dry. So the drier the skin (and any powder including this one will make your skin drier), the more your fine lines will be visible. When I just put this powder on, it looks flawless and creaseless and amazing. As the day goes on, it does crease and dry my under eye area out (I know because I tested this stuff out under one eye but not under the other). This doesn't crease as much because it contains silica I think (which helps it not crease)
2. You can see little shimmer particles in the powder. Some people say that the shimmer in this powder is so finely milled that you can't see the shimmer particles, but you definitely can. If you look closely, under sunlight after you apply this powder, you can see little shimmers. So it's not just a glow, it's shimmer (I would prefer more of just the glow rather than the shimmer particles)
3. This powder is white and contains silica, so be careful not to apply too much under your eyes or it will flash back white (like the makeup forever HD powder, just not as extreme as that one). Only use a tiny bit of this powder!
****APPLICATION TIPS****
1. I use the brush that Laura Mercier recommends for this (the camouflage powder brush or something). It looks like a mini foundation brush. It's the perfect size and shape for your under eye area
2. Apply this powder RIGHT AFTER you apply your under eye concealer. Do not do the rest of your face/eyes first, put on your under eye concealer, smooth out any fine lines that are visible (I do this with the beauty blender), and pat this powder on. I find if I wait to put this powder on, my under eye area is much drier looking than if I put this on straight away
3. While the jar is closed, turn the Jar upside down once (so that powder goes on to the lid). Then turn it the right way, and tap the lid (so that access powder falls back in to the main jar.
4. With your brush (and I do recommend a brush for this), get a tiny bit of powder from the lid (so that you don't get too much).
5. Then tap off any access powder (just tap your brush against the lid a couple of times so that the access powder falls back in to the lid). This will ensure that you don't use too much powder.
6. This is optional, but I also like to pat the brush with the side of the powder a couple of times on the back of my hand (to further get rid of any access powder)
7. When applying this powder, PAT it on. Do not sweep or blend.
8. Start applying it in the area where you have the least amount of fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend starting on the outer corner of your under eye area (part near your temples) You want to apply the least amount of product near your inner corners and around that part of your eye as you want that to be as non cakey and non dry as possible. (when someone looks in to your eyes, they will see the inner part of your eye more than the outer). So start applying on the outer corner and work your way to the inner corners
This gives the best result for me(and I have tried a lot of ways)
****BOTTOM LINE****
I still gave this powder 4 stars because it works better than any other powder I have ever used under my eyes (I have tried loose powder, translucent powder, pressed powders, powder foundations etc.)Everything looks FAR, FAR worse under my eyes than this does. I'm not stupid, I realize that this is a powder, and despite being made for under your eyes and despite being brightening, it will still do what powders were invented to do. So as far as a powder goes, this does deserve 4 stars in terms of being a great under eye powder! I don't use this stuff too often because I use a waterproof concealer under my eyes, so I don't necessarily need my under eye concealer to last longer. I probably would re-purchase it, just because if I ever switch concealers or need to use a powder under my eyes (maybe if I don't use such a long wearing concealer), this is the only powder I will ever turn to. I recommend it to anyone who has troubles with their concealer lasting. I think it would work better for people with oily skin rather than dry skin though. If you need an under eye powder, try this. Just keep in mind th

17 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by crystallineteddy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For the past couple of years, I've started wearing makeup daily to work and this has really been my HG in combination with LM secret concealer. An under-eye concealer alone does not do nearly as good of a job at brightening. With this powder, I can at least "pretend" to look the way I did a few years ago (before aging/lack of sleep/stress at work got to me). Considering the generous size (esp given its use in under eye area), it's a fairly reasonably priced product.

I'm not a huge fan of the packaging -- they could prob do more to prevent too much product from coming out the little holes to the top half, esp when we have to carry it when traveling -- but I understand this is the standard loose powder packaging...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

Absolutely love how this product sets my concealer no matter how much concealer I am wearing. When worn over the concealer it gives a flawless finish and it looks like you are not wearing any concealer at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

This is the ONLY thing I will use to set my clients under eye concealer. It's the only powder that doesn't make the skin look crepey. It absolutley does not highlight wrinkles, it softly diffuses the light and makes the skin appear smoother. It also prevents the concealer from moving around. This is something I will keep in my kit until they stop making it (God forbid).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupJunkie77

I just bought my 3rd one of the #2 powder. I don't think I can use anything else to set my under eye concealer. The sifter is tricky because it dispenses a whole lot of product when you only need a teeny bit. To apply, I use a fluffy brush to pat it on and then sweep off any excess to avoid it from settling in my fine lines.
It definitely does brighten the eye area and doesn't flash back stark white in photos. The price is fair because one jar will last for about a year with everyday use. Totally worth it, IMO.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No