April 21, 2014 | 1525 users online

Treatments - Renova - Renova Rx cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 1:13:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using Renova (now the generic) for about 5 years - as soon as they'd let me start after having my last child! It absolutely makes a noticeable difference, but you have to use it regularly and for the long term.

My skin has no crepiness, is smooth and even toned. The fine lines are somewhat improved, and crows feet are also lessened. I use it on my neck too - very important. I'll never stop using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2007 7:49:00 PM More reviews by grich17

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was expensive ($100) but dang, it works! I'm 45 and after living in Texas most of those years, I have some brown spots and some loose skin, mostly around my mouth and jaw. A few months of Renova at night has lightened the brown spots and firmed everything up. It's hard to find a product that will really do that. Caused some flaking at first, but I used some AHA or glycolic acid to help exfoliate. I'm also using SkinMedica Vitamin C serum on the marionette lines and jaw to help with the firming. It's also cut down on the breakouts. Now that's not fair - wrinkles and acne at the same time!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2007 9:40:00 AM More reviews by gdriban

I have been using Renova .02% for 2 months and have already noticed an improvement in my skin. It is soft as silk and I really think that the sun damage is reduced. I am 40 with pale skin and wish I had used sunblock in my 20's so I'm hoping to undo some of that damage. It was tough in the beginning with the dry and flaky skin but after a couple of weeks it is much better. I take a night or two off from time to time. Yes, it is expensive but I think if you add up all of the other skin care items you currently use it is probably about the same price. I only use this at night after cleansing with Cetaphil. During the day I use a spf 30 sunscreen which is an absolute must....wish I had started earlier!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2007 11:03:00 AM More reviews by karenkay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i LOVE renova, and recommend it to everyone who will listen, but they've decided to stop selling the .05% strength and are only selling .02%. if you use--and love--this product, please call ortho/neutrogena and let them know you want it back!

i've been using the product for 10 years--since it came out--and get regular comments on how nice my skin is, despite having been a bit of a sun worshipper in my early 20's (before i knew better). it does make my skin flake a bit in the winter, but i skip a day now and again or mix the renova with my la mer and that seems to solve the problem. for me, it's a miracle product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2006 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

patent ran out on renova in 2003!!! its even on ebay!!!! type in renova n find it wow cheap

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2006 11:04:00 AM More reviews by yojim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have nothing but good things to say about Renova. I've been using it for six months and am seeing great results. I am forty years old with oily, acne prone, sun damaged skin. After six months on Renova, I no longer see any sun damage on my face, fine lines are disappearing and the overall appearance of my skin is much smoother.

The price is a little steep, but it's much less expensive than department store creams that don't work anyway. And there is an adjustment period your skin must go through, but it's so very worth the money and the initial irritation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2006 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Becki32155

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love Renova. Can't do without it. I've been using it for a couple of years and my skin, at 51, is the best it's been in my adult life, except for my early twenties. It's smooth and supple and wrinkles have been greatly diminished. I use the milder formula, .02, as the .05 is a little too strong for me. I've never had redness or peeling or any irritation with .02. I do apply it very, very sparingly, which I think helps in that regard. I even use it under my eyes and on my eyelids. I probably use it 4 nights a week. I could probably use it every night but I don't want to use it up too quickly as it IS pricey (but worth it). I like to put it on my hands and chest area too. Great, great stuff.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2006 6:13:00 PM More reviews by AnnP30

Hands down, Renova is the most effective anti-wrinkle cream out there. The first few weeks are tough, since skin will react with redness and flaking. But after a few weeks/months of consistent use, your skin will appear smoother & more polished. And it's not as harsh as Retin-A, which dried my skin out. I recommend this and will def. keep repurchasing. Keep in mind that the flaking signals the product is working (it's exfoliating your skin).

A great site that sells Renova at a super-low price w/o a prescription is Medsmex.com at:(http://www.medsmex.com). The product comes as a generic name called Retacnyl, but it's Renova. Fyi: In the past I have purchased the super-expensive brand name prescription Renova (for $140 a tube!!!, which insurance does not cover), and it's the same thing.

Btw, I've gotten many emails from fellow MUers asking if medsmex.com is a legit site, and I vouch for them: I've been purchasing Renova from them for over 3 years now and have never had a problem. The product is legit and the website offers good service at great prices.

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2006 10:46:00 PM More reviews by BaronessRadon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you can afford this, and tolerate it...it's worth it. I have just used up my first 60 gram tube, which lasted just about a year. I am late 50s, with dry but formerly oily skin. I've used good eye creams for 30 years, sunscreen for 20 and AHA products for 15. I wish I had asked my dermatologist to prescribe Renova earlier, but maybe my routine obviated my perceived need until more recently. I wanted it primarily for eye lines and around the mouth. I have used Tazorac for its original purpose, psoriasis (on my elbows), so I think I can tolerate strong stuff.

After just a month of Renova use, with just a few days of minor sensitivity, an acquaintance who is a MUA for Neiman Marcus repping Sisley(!) commented that my skin looked really good and wanted to know what I was using. I am very happy with the results. Renova will not decrease deep lines (wrinkles), but it has plumped and diminished and perhaps prevented some fine ones. I use it around my eyes (and the rest of my face) at night with no ill effects. My dermatologist says I can use it the rest of my life. I just opened tube number 2. While the active chemical is the same as Retin-A's, Renova is emollient, not harsh or drying (at least for me.)

I follow a gentle cleansing routine -- splashing with warm water with Cetaphil liquid in the a.m.; DHC Deep Cleansing Oil in the evening. From time to time, I also use Alpha Hydrox AHA cream for exfoliation (before the Renova) and various night creams which strike my fancy (after the Renova). For daytime moisturizing I have been using Lancome Absolue, but also occasionally use Burt's Bees Carrot Creme. I'm trying Avon's new two part eye gel and cream, having been a little disappointed with Chanel's Ultra Precision. Also I rather like Burt's Bees Royal Jelly eye cream.

But on a desert island, I would give them all up -- except the expensive Renova, the cheap AHA, and of course, any kind of sunscreen.

Edit: Renewed my prescription but got generic Retin-A in an emollient base. Renova's strength has been decreased to .02%, but the Retin A still comes in the .05%. Getting same results; I was without product for several months and could see the difference. Now I am back on the regime and feel much better about my skin.

BE SURE TO USE SUNSCREEN!!!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2005 2:06:00 PM More reviews by kedves

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Renova wrecked my skin, turning it to a peeling, red, irritated mess, for the more than six months I tried to use it. I followed the suggested application guidelines and then some, applying the tiniest amount on dry (not damp) skin an hour after cleansing just two to three times a week. The irritation never decreased, and there were no visible effects other than the negative ones. Moisturizers helped a bit with the dryness but not with the peeling or redness. I couldn't wear makeup because of the peeling. In short, the general effect was anything but pretty. I have mildly sensitive skin; it reacts more often to product ingredients by breaking out than with this sort of response. It's not expensive given how little you need use, so it might be worth a try for you. But I've learned that Retin-A is not for me, sadly.