July 23, 2014 | 2061 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by zahnpasta99

Let me start by saying I've had more hair highlighting disasters than I care to count. Most if those were in the salon and I had brassy, broken, meh highlights.
Since its almost summer I wanted to liven up my hair. Usual color is medium brown. Pulls brass very easily. I had put a light cool brown semi permanent on it about 3 weeks ago. On to the product.
6.98 at Walmart got the kit for med dark hair honey highlights. To prepare I did a co wash the day before and let my hair get greasy. I think this helped. I used cap and pulled w small end of hook through most of dark circles. H helped w the back. Wrapped other hair w plastic wrap and clip to protect. Applied bleach (non stinky) covered w plastic and waited the results. I had seen where reviews said to leave on 60 min to get pass the brass stage. I checked it at 30 and it had lifted to lemon yellow color. A couple of pieces near roots looked dark and I freaked out and put a little mixture on them. Waited amount 3 more minutes and went to rinse. I was quite spazzy thinking it had turned into a mess. Rinsed, took off cap, washed with shampoo/cond and went to see the results.
Wow!!! First of all my hair is not dried out. Soft and shiny. It's about collarbone length. Next. No brass! No orange! I think these highlights look better than salon ones. They are a nice honey color with a few lighter blonde pieces mixed in. It is subtle yet gave my hair a lift. This kit is great. Overall I think the fact I let my hair get a bit greasy before helped pull through the cap easier and protect it during process. Having some help with the back didn't hurt. I will use this again and not pay the salon. This kit is a gem. I'm off to style my great hair!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by SYangOfficial

Revlon Frost and Glow in Honey is the perfect shade for my Asian currently dark brown hair. I dyed my hair numerous time from black to brown to burgundy. Prior to using this kit, my hair was medium brown with a tint of red. Now, with darker hair especially when you had a tint of red, you would often end up with brassy orange highlights. Not with mine! Like everyone here on Makeupalley suggested, I decided to leave the bleach on for an hour. My hair started to turn orange! I panicked for a second, but remember someone here on Makeupalley said in ordered to get the beautiful highlights, to go pass the orange stage and so that's what I did and ended up with carmel/honey highlights and all for $7.34! I wish I left it on longer to get even more lighter highlights but this look will do for now.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Razzles14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

AHMAZING!!! I've spent so much money on highlights at the salon and I could never achieve that beachy blonde platinum look I've been going for. My hair is dyed medium blonde and I bought this in the blonde to light brown color. I broke the hook and used a bobbypin instead....worked just fine. The pulling the hair through the holes on the cap process took about an hour but it was worth it! My hair turned out a beautiful platinum blonde color...very natural looking and not at all chunky or piecey....all for $7! Way worth the time and money:)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by brookey55

I just used this product and I got amazing results. No brassy blonde.

I have medium brown hair which I have had highlighted at the salon for the past 3-4 years. It was starting to look brassy and I also wanted to go a little blonder. I was skeptical to use this product, but as a student I wanted to save some money!

I used the cap and pulled very small strands though the holes (I used them all). This is kind of long and annoying but worth the results. I left the dye on my hair for about 30 minutes, and then I took the cap off I put the remaining dye ALL OVER my hair to lighten up my base color also (for about 5-10 mins only)

It turned out good! my hair is now a medium blonde with light highlights throughout (doesn't look streaky at all, just multidimensional). Just what I wanted.

The product DID dry my hair out a bit, but I have very fine hair strands and obviously this is to be expected with bleach. I deep conditioned afterwards and this helped

I will try this again next time and hopefully Ill never have to pay for the salon again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Bethl12

I've used this product for years and it still works great. It's a pain to pull the strands through the cap, but I really believe this is the only way to get thin strips of highlights (which, let's face it, is the only way they look natural).

Be very careful when adding the powder to the cream as the powder is pure bleach and will bleach anything it touches (if it gets on a white floor, it's impossible to see so you'll step on it, then walk on a towel or rug and bleach it. Just go slowly and be careful.

I dye my hair medium blond every 8 weeks and do the highlighing two or three times a year. That's enough for me.

Don't do too many highlights as you want to look natural not like you're trying.

Gives great depth to your hair by bringing light in and out. Cheap way to make a home dye job look like one from a salon.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by teresa1083

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Amazing product! I have light brown natural hair that has been colored medium/reddish brown. My hair was looking over saturated with color and one dimensional. I was very skeptical using this product because my hair always pulls orange/brassy without a toner. I amazed at how professional and beautifully blonde the highlights looked. I have done two kits now. The first was the honey kit and the second was the blonde kit and both worked wonderfully. I think i will probably stick with the blonde kit now moving forward since it seemed to lighten the hair a little better. Overall top notch amazing drugstore product. I will never go back to the salon for highlights again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by trishlovesmakeup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this Revlon Frost & Glow kit!!!! I have been getting my hair "highlighted" at the salon for the past 15 years or so. My highlights have never come out the way I wanted. Salons are sneaky. When they do your hair, they use special lighting and special toners for your hair. It's all magic and mirrors. You like your hair when they first do it, but days later those $120 highlights fade and get dull. I have a dark blonde color base (not natural of course :) and then I used to get partial highlights done. They looked okay the first and second day, but only because I hadn't washed my hair yet. After that, my highlights just faded into my dark blonde hair. It was disappointing, where the heck were my highlights?? I had to put up with the waiting, dishing out $120, plus hear salon gossip, ugh.
Sorry for the rant!! Now on to my rave review. This product offers better highlights/color than any salon I have ever been to. You apply this in the convenience of your own home, no waiting and none of the discomfort of waiting at the salon.
I bought the lightest kit, for light to dark blonde hair. The kit contains the cap, a double-sided spatula/hook, the plastic wrap to put over your processing hair, gloves, and of course the highlighting color and developer, and the tray to mix up the solution. It is a very complete kit, and all for $10.99 (I bought mine at Walgreen's). I know it's more inexpensive at Walmart or Target.

*NOTE* I do advise you buy a metal hook at Sally's Beauty Supply, instead of using the plastic hook that's included in the kit.. The metal hook really grabs the hair, and your time is cut in half, instead of using the flimsy plastic hook. I do like the cap in the kit, because it shows what sections to highlight. It's totally up to you, how much or how little highlighting you want. I bought the Magicap at Sally's,but that thing freaked me out. It felt like I was putting a condom on my head, haha!! I prefer the Frost & Glow cap for sure.

*The Application Process*
I was SO nervous before I started, I thought my hair would turn orange and I thought it could possibly fall or break off. My hair is damaged, and is colored and had semi-blonde highlights that were growing out. I was a bit skeptical. But I saw a few YT videos, and read all the wonderful rave reviews on Makeup Alley...so I went for it!!!! I put the cap on and tied it as tight as possible. I started in the back, and I did it all by myself. You can do it, just use a mirror, and if your arms get tired just take a little break. Next, I did the crown, the sides and lastly the front face framing pieces. I only pulled out hair from the circled holes, I wanted the dark blonde part peeking through. The strands I pulled out, were not too thick but also not super thin. I did all the sections, but I only pulled from the circled holes. It took about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Not bad at all, considering it was my first time and I did the back myself. I also took the bottom part of my hair that I didn't pull through, and I put that unprocessed part of my hair in a ponytail.
After the hair I wanted was pulled through, I started to mix the solution. Using a color brush, I dipped it in the solution (which is a pretty blue by the way) and applied it to my roots. Then, I took my gloved hands, and freely applied it all over the sections. It really is easier to just apply it with your hands. Make sure all the sections are saturated and as evenly coated as possible. I then took all the sections and put them on top of my head. I took the plastic wrap and put it over the top of my hair and clipped it in the front.

*The Processing Time*
I set the timer on my phone for 10 minutes, but I checked it after 5 minutes. It was definitely lightening, but it was kind of orangey. I set the timer for another 10 min., and checked after 5 min. again. Now it was ORANGE. No need to worry...you have to go through the orange stage in order for the color to lift. I had read reviews that said not to panic and wash it out or else you will have orange hair. I didn't wash it out of course. I repeated my time pattern...set timer for 10 min. and checked after 5 min. My hair was between orange and yellow, so it was definitely lifting to blonde. Again, I waited 10 min., checked at 5 min. and my hair was a light yellow, but the roots were still a little bit orange. I decided to leave it in for 10 more minutes. After the 10 min., my hair was a light yellow, (definitely, no orange in sight). That meant, all systems GO :) The total time I left it on was 50 minutes. Very important: you can't rush the process, everyone is different. I thought my hair would process sooner, because I was already blondish, but it took almost an hour. Just keep checking your hair every 5 minutes, and wait till your hair lifts to that pale yellow color.

*Washing/Removing the product*
I removed the plastic wrap and jumped in the shower. With the cap still on my head, I applied a generous amount of conditioner to my hair and the cap slid right off, no problem. I then shampooed my hair twice. I used the regular John Frieda Sheer Blonde Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner. Next I applied the conditioner. I jumped out of the shower, to check the color quickly it was so light, but definitely not orange...WHEWWW!!!! I couldn't wait to blow dry, and if the highlights looked amazing on my wet hair...imagine it dry!! See below ;)

*Final Result*
I have beautiful, light golden, sun-kissed highlights all over my hair. Since I only used the circled holes, you can still see the variation of color...the light highlights and the dark blonde base. I LOVE my hair, the result is better than any salon, and it was under $20!!!! Oh, and my hair did NOT fall out, if anything, it looks healthier and so soft. I can't say enough good things about the Revlon Frost & Glow kit. Give it a shot, trust me...you will love it too!! No more salon

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ashleyg56

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I just bought and used this. It works really really well, I have ombre and just added some more blonde to the bottom and added some to the front by my face. It is quite drying but works so well.
I gave up on going to the salon because they never give me what I want.
I left the product on for about 20 minutes and it pulled right through the already blonde part and pulled through the part that was brown by my face.
Would totally buy again!!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by BlondieK833

I have been getting salon highlights since I was 15 and I'm 24 now. That's the only thing I've ever done to my hair, just love how natural they look. Lately my hair stylist was not leaving them on long enough even after I complied, very annoying. I wanted that really pale almost white blond and she just couldn't get it. So I started looking around and after reading all the reviews I was hooked. This product is wonderful! I left it on for 55mins and the color came out perfect, no brassiness or blotchy spots. I also through wella white lady toner on just for a little extra pick me and I'm so satisfied with my results. I used the one for blonde to light brown and it was perfect. My hair still feels healthy afterwards too so that's defiantly a bonus. Try it, you won't be disappointed:) also I took everyone's advice and put a metal hook at Sally's and had my husband pull through a lot of the back and whatever he couldn't reach, he actually said it was fun lol

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Dubykel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I usually do not write reviews but i had to.....i have highlight before with so so results but after reading reviews on here and following some tips my highlights came out awesome!! Instead of using the kit for blondes like i usually do i got the honey highlights. I did the cap myself. I did by the magicap and metal hook from sally beauty supply and glad i did. This kit cost under $7.00 and looks like i went to the salon!!